Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I pre-ordered Master of Orion 3. That was the end of me ever pre-ordering or getting my hopes up for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Glad to see the US My Nintendo/Miitomo stuff will launch on March 31st. There's some stuff on sale til April 4th that I've had my eye on, and I was hoping I'd get to test the new Gold Points or whatever with it.

btw I recall reading that DLC won't count towards anything in My Nintendo, is that true? Gonna buy the last few Smash Characters that I haven't got around to this week.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lol they finally put the awakening dlc on sale, its not like the rest of the world has the next game already. bunch of dicks

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Davincie posted:

lol they finally put the awakening dlc on sale, its not like the rest of the world has the next game already. bunch of dicks

Well, it's presumably because Fates is coning out in 52 days, so they wanna advertise the previous game and get as many sales out of it as possible.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have any of the new Virtual Console SNES titles? How are they? The video makes it look like they're just the game still in 4:3 and not even a nice border or anything. Like, PSP Snes emulator quality. Is that the case?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But is Awakening worth getting?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well, it's presumably because Fates is coning out in 52 days, so they wanna advertise the previous game and get as many sales out of it as possible.

i hate em

SelenicMartian posted:

if you haven't played a fire emblem before sure, most of the complaints about it won't be that noticeable to a player new to the series

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is any of the Awakening DLC actually worth getting?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pierson posted:

Does anyone have any of the new Virtual Console SNES titles? How are they? The video makes it look like they're just the game still in 4:3 and not even a nice border or anything. Like, PSP Snes emulator quality. Is that the case?

I've been playing Earthbound. I have no complaints. It's the same as the virtual console NES games, I don't know why you're expecting a fancy border to fill in the margins. There's slowdown, but it's slowdown that was present in the game originally, so whatever. You still get your one single save state, in addition to any actual "save files" that the game naturally has, so I like to use it before boss fights and that sort of thing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

deadly_pudding posted:

I've been playing Earthbound. I have no complaints. It's the same as the virtual console NES games, I don't know why you're expecting a fancy border to fill in the margins. There's slowdown, but it's slowdown that was present in the game originally, so whatever. You still get your one single save state, in addition to any actual "save files" that the game naturally has, so I like to use it before boss fights and that sort of thing.
Cheers. :)

And yeah I will admit I did hope for like, a nice border or something. MAME has been doing that for roms since forever I guess I kind of hoped for anything other than a black screen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

For like a year the 3DS thread's title was 'buy fire emblem'

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

awakening is a really fun game and I like it a lot but it's also horribly unbalanced in favour of the player. still I enjoy it and if it's your first fire emblem you honestly can't go wrong.

fates is a much better game from a gameplay perspective. if you're looking for a challenge I would definitely recommend it with the caveat that the stories range from "boring" to "offensively terrible".

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lemon-Lime posted:

Nope

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I think Awakening is the best FE because you can turn off perma death, grind/reclass as much as you want, and play eugenics sim to max your stats. It makes it easy, but you can go back and crank up the difficulty.

The new FE has the most pants on head retarded story and turns the anime levels up to unbearable levels. That may be a selling point for a lot of goons though. It adds an even more casual difficulty level.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm going to buy Other M, otherwise Nintendo will think that nobody loves Metroid.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

irlZaphod posted:

I'm going to buy Other M, otherwise Nintendo will think that nobody loves Metroid.

They'll just give us Other M 2 then, just like they're giving us Sticker Star 2

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

irlZaphod posted:

Don't do this to yourself. Get Federation Force instead, that one looks like it's probably decent, maybe.

Also, please stop whining about Paper Mario.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Oh cool, guess I can finally register myself at MyNintendo on Thursday.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

less laughter posted:

They'll just give us Other M 2 then, just like they're giving us Sticker Star 2
Sticker Star 2 is not the Paper Mario we deserve, but the one we need right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

I have Awakening but not Fates :shobon: In my defense it's because I keep buying FE games thinking "maybe this will be the one that hooks me!" and they never do. Even with permadeath off I only got four or five missions in and haven't been able to get myself to go back. I guess I'm too conditioned from spending a bunch of time on missions in previous games and losing it all after one critical mistake. I want to like them! I'm even a little tempted to get the DLC while it's on sale just in case, which I fully admit is loving dumb!

Also thanks for dropping your new store platform and rewards program four days after my birthday Nintendo!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

irlZaphod posted:

Sticker Star 2 is not the Paper Mario we deserve, but the one we need right now.

Not even jokingly true.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Some of it is useful and/or interesting.

The Gold, EXP, and legendary weapon grinding maps are worth it, and come as a set. The latter also gives you the Silver Card, which halves the prices of all shops and Streetpass team goods.

The Lost Bloodlines map give the Dread Fighter class- which is good, plus the best EXP grinding map and the Paragon skill. Well worth it to get!

The Smash Brethren Series has the other DLC only class, but it's not as good. But you can put all your ladies in sparkly poofy dresses. It also gives a skill, but again, it's not as good- Iote's Shield, which negates effective damage on fliers.

If you plan to do the super-hard DLC- Apotheosis, then Rogues and Redeemers 3 will be essential. It gives the Limit Breaker skill. If you don't plan to touch that, skip it.

The Challenge maps are interesting and worth a look, but I wouldn't consider them essential.

The Future Past maps I would consider essential. The story in them is better than the story in the latter half of the actual game. Plus they're challenging. Definitely get them!

Lastly, aforementioned super-hard ultimate challenge map- Apotheosis. Get it if you want it; don't get it if you don't. It's an entirely different beast than the rest of the game.

The rest of the DLC is varying degrees of eh. (I still bought them all...)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I got Other M for $5 and as an okay Metroid-themed action game with an awful story and nice graphics, I felt totally fine with my purchase and time spent playing the game. I wouldn't blow 20bux on it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

the 3 festival dlc

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
With Other M, every single Metroid game would be available on VC (Metroid 2 only on 3DS, obviously).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just watched all of Other M's cutscenes and I am utterly floored by how every horrible thing I heard about this game is EXACTLY as bad as people said.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched all of Other M's cutscenes and I am utterly floored by how every horrible thing I heard about this game is EXACTLY as bad as people said.

and the gameplay ain't great either!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
oh man would they put Other M on VC

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Looper posted:

and the gameplay ain't great either!
It's Metroid built around their 3D Ninja Gaiden games, which is like taking Devil May Cry, removing melee, and setting it all in Doom2.wad.

Will the new Nintendo rewards thing count codes bought not directly though eshop?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Other M has some of the most baffling decisions in terms of gameplay, level design, and story I've ever seen in a game. People tend to blame Sakamoto for it, and it is probably his fault in part, but I think this is more the special kind of bad that comes from a dozen different companies stepping on each other's feet trying to pull a project in a dozen different directions with no cohesive vision or effective communication resulting in the final product being a jumbled, confused mess.

Good people don't let their friends play Other M.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

shame it killed metroid though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They're just waiting until there's a console powerful enough to handle an open universe Metroid

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

voltcatfish posted:

shame it killed metroid though

Fret not, there's a brand new Metroid game coming out this year

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

less laughter posted:

Fret not, there's a brand new Metroid game coming out this year

I love that this exists and highly enjoy the salt it has caused

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Katana Gomai posted:

I love that this exists and highly enjoy the salt it has caused

The best part is that it doesn't look to be that bad of a game. Nintendo fans can be such babies sometimes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It just looks like a DSi game because, well, it started as one, so yeah

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hunters for DS looks better, though.

It's bizarre that it's so ugly and uninteresting to look at but even if it looked pretty or more Metroid-appropriate it'd still be boring.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Maybe one day Nintendo will finally get ballsy and make another Metroid that takes place after Fusion.

HA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The Metroid lore and timeline.