Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

wulf's travel set:

Just thought you guys deserved to know

That genuinely looks like a neat storage solution for something small and with lots of fiddly bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

wulf's travel set:

I like that now we're (possibly!) in the final act we're gathering little iconic snip-bits from our rogues gallery.

we absolutely must get a word in from octopode.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tippis posted:

That genuinely looks like a neat storage solution for something small and with lots of fiddly bits.

I don't want to get this account banned so I won't tell you what one of the stickied threads in this forum warns me against. :shobon:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

I bring to you " shame"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Seraph Citizen: Long Way To Fall

And then blues traveler is playing in the opening sequence because even though he's broke as gently caress and losing everything he's still a cool cat with a dope fedora that makes all the middle-school girls swoon.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

i am harry posted:

I don't want to get this account banned so I won't tell you what one of the stickied threads in this forum warns me against. :shobon:

Don't get into the X-Wing miniatures game, because it'll eat all your money and you'll get obsessed by finding the perfect “neat storage solution”?

That warning should be a in a stickied thread in every forum…

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I bring to you " shame"

DickWulfe missing behind the doors waving a pizza.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Catte was super excited to see me when I got home and meowed a whole lot

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How many 4k cattes you got?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

sorla78 posted:

DickWulfe missing behind the doors waving a pizza.

I miss the simpler times of the emotionally damaged purchasing pizza for the morbidly obese.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Wafflz posted:

About 4k of em

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Been away apart from some drunken poo poo-posting from my phone over the weekend & I seem to be 100+ pages behind. Would some kind person give me a summary.. are we there yet?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

you just answered your own question

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The escapist is dead rip

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Galarox posted:

Been away apart from some drunken poo poo-posting from my phone over the weekend & I seem to be 100+ pages behind. Would some kind person give me a summary.. are we there yet?

Nah. If someone will sum up tracergate for you you're all up to speed

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There is no way that Huxley person is Sandi, because they write far to coherently. For real go read the beer e-mails again and then read one of the Huxley posts, there's no chance Sandi wrote that. The only way i'll believe different is if we find Huxley saying "butt-hurt".

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I can feel it. The big reveal is coming.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nah. If someone will sum up tracergate for you you're all up to speed

Tracergate? I have missed a lot then?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

This is very good :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

cocaine dad show posted:

About 4k of em

16 megacattes?! Great Scott!

Galarox posted:

We're apparently not-there:r-yet (not-there-yet:er?) than we've ever not-been before. Also, CIG tried to promote an aged old game designer who wanted to ride a nostalgia wave and bring back a game from the '80s. They did so by featuring stolen promotional art on prime time TV podcast since the artist hack who plagiarised the art in question used to do art for CIG, so there's some history there.

e: Oh, and in spite of tapping into the whale-est of whaling communities and people hate-pledging just to spite the goons who discovered this IP theft, the project just barely squeezed past the funding goal, and is now liable to be sued for every penny and more by the likes of Disney, FOX, possibly Hasbro, and at least a dozen angry Deviant Artists.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 29, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you just answered your own question

he edited his post to timg and starmarined my joke :saddowns:

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

With the current speculations doing the rounds its kind of unreal to me that this whole fiasco might just collapse under the weight of its own hype without actually producing any tangible game.

I mean, you might at least expect Crobbers to poo poo out some broken, half finished feck-up of a game with the time, money and talent that has been forced down the throat of the bloated monster that is CIG.

But to not even have the common decency to dump on your eager fanatics faces, but instead to let rip a long empty fart.... I dont know... its seems kind of disrespectful dont you think?

Star Citizen: This is what a $110 million dollar fart smells like.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

fuctifino posted:

Did anyone post this SC fanfiction that mentions 'Annabelle Boo Huxley'?

https://lightworkershaw.wordpress.com/2015/12/31/g-loc-bar/

All fanfics must start "in medias res" usually with some curt description of sex/violence, just to wake everyone up. "Hey! Whoa! We are kicking and punching here. Strap in!"

Whatever happened to droning on about whaling for 60 pages. It worked for Melville.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

:sbahj:

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Wafflz posted:

Sorry :( I always forget to tIMG gigantic phone imgur posts

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

dude will be super pissed when you don't go back and read his edit :downs:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
He burns a "scum and villainy" by the end of the first paragraph. Come on man!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

:vince:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Wow.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

WOWZERS

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Has this been the greatest thread ever on the internet?

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I bring to you " shame"

Beautiful.

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Fabulous.

This thread never fails to deliver.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

gently caress mate that's... :five:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

wulf's travel set:

Is that a rape kit?

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

GabrielMobius posted:

Welcome back!

My snark aside, I understand where you're coming from. I, too, used to be the kind of backer whose hackles would raise when anyone brought up what I now know to be very legitimate criticisms of the development process and business model. It took several kickstarters producing poo poo, and Beer's forum ban to snap things into focus for me. Sunk cost fallacy is very real, and people will do whatever they can to justify their purchase to themselves even above others.

With all that said, it is unsurprising to see someone go from 'his information might be right' to 'how can I shut him up' instead of 'maybe I should dig deeper', and also tricky to give them any benefit of the doubt. Especially after wading through the brown sea and reddit, and seeing the state of the game and development from a more detached point of view.

I take it as a loss the minute I dump money into a KS/GL/EA game. Although I do stay away now from the bigger ones. I am happy to give indie devs a chance to put out something they want to put out. So far I have only had a few failures. That way emotional attachment is gone and I am able to try and look at things objectively. With SC what turned me was how fast they turned on backers and leveraged the LTI crowd vs non. CIG actually fomented a lot of community issues themselves 2013 -14 early. Then there was the lti is gone and it wont come back. And it does.
I stopped dead because when a company actively divides a community in order to increase revenue - welp the only place left is down. Then they started actively culling the people questioning things - welp done.

The sooner this implodes the better. Maybe not for the whales but for those who cant afford it and still pledge.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Galarox posted:

Tracergate? I have missed a lot then?

Uhm kinda. See, this old guy did a board game in the eighties called Star Traders. Now he's been doing work for CIG in Austin, and the rights to the game reverted back to him, so he wanted to reprint it and get a quick buck off Kickstarter.

Now he apparently didn't have the rights to the original art to the game, which is why this fedora-clad neckbeard co-worker of his did the promo art for the game. Chris and Sandi gave their ok's for him to use their faces for some of the art, and apparently Richard Garriott also did. Now the fun didn't start until about a day before the campaign ended, when someone on Reddit found out that the artist hadn't drawn a single line himself, but had copied or traced literally everything he'd ever published under his own name - including all the art for the board game.

The "artist" in question is called Ryan archer. A couple of "his" works:

Shamelessly stolen from some dude on deviantart:

Funniest was "his" chris and sandi art, with sandi's body stolen someone on deviantart, who in turn had shopped it off footage from the poo poo film Stealth:

They went ahead and printed Sandi out on cardboard and she posted it to facebook.

We made a lot of noise before and during the twitch livestream of the last eight hours of the kickstarter. Sadly, it got funded which means the game is definitely going to be made and shipped to backers real soon, with all-new all-original artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Dickwulf and other whales would make a really good anthropology study on modern day conspicuous consumption. Like in some older societies the way to show your wealth and status would be to commission like loads of work intensive ornate rugs and give them to everyone in your village or just burn them or something because you could. Then you have these guys who have been bragging about how much they have spent on ships, or buying pizza parties for one of the offices because they can and because they think it gives them status in their society or buys them friends and admirers. I say think because in this case no one thinks they are a big man except for like Tarkaroshe, everyone else just thinks they are sad creepy weirdos desperate to show off and buy imaginary status. With the cargo cult parallels and the ship economy bubble and other things, the whole fiasco would make a good series of studies in an anthology

• Locked thread