Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Nomenclature posted:

I guess Sandi was feeling left out with the attention being on other people, so she felt the need to post a "behind the scenes" photo of the RTV on Facebook:

I'm Ben's IV drip with tennis ball legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
:laffo: They are redoing the networking backend again. It's almost done though guys, really!

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

G0RF posted:

Okay I'm really pissed that i_still_trust_cig got banned (when he was a FRIEND of the company and HATER of trolls) yet eightace_is_here is allowed to stay.

:same:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

runsamok posted:

Quick! Guess which one of these guys has a nutritionist!
Sandi is Ben's nutritionist... And we see how that has turned out.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

5MB of network data to spawn a retaliatior, wtf

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it really does sound like he hinting at starting over with the engine without directly saying it. huge if that's what this is about.

I'm having the same impression.. a lot of reworking things... and a lot of stuff happening backend.
Re-working the component system... ( even tho it still doesn't exist )

No need to fix the old system.. we are working on the new system???

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
So, their next generation netcode will only need to send changed states as opposed to re-sending everything over the network. Too bad they can't use similar technology to break up the game pak files and get the patch sizes down below 20 GB.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

runsamok posted:

Quick! Guess which one of these guys has a nutritionist!

Ugh.

trick question. All three do!

I'll let you know that Sandi is also a nutritionist

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Procedural planet(oids).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Glad they are gonna model the power being carried around the ship and have fuses blow from power surges which require you to go replace the fuses. Just wouldn't be a good game without that. Also that will totally make it into the game and is not bullshit he just made up on the spot.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

Yeah-- and I'm willing to even believe it. But the fact that inside reports are telling us he's completely deluded about everything is a potential indicator that the ship leaks from the top. I still think we will see warning signs, leaks, defections, etc. before a collapse because the very parties who think he's in cloud cuckoo land would be making their way for the exits before the deluded one crashed it into a hillside.

Just listen to him. He's off his rocker. Toops is making a parody game, and he's feeling the need to refactor after creating 70 classes. I consider C++ to be my native language, I also code in assembly, and make my living writing analysis suites for program source and object code. I write code that both puts together and takes apart programs. With this background, I still can't even begin to imagine how they could ever come any where near delivering what Roberts is saying.

The entire enterprise has evolved into just holding everything together. It may go off in an instant.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it really does sound like he hinting at starting over with the engine without directly saying it. huge if that's what this is about.

a new backend junking cryengine netcode. I just loving cant i just cant. The delayed so many things to redo the backend and to do it right the first time. what a loving hack.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Finally, "We aren't going to waste time fixing the old system while the new one is being built."

The Baby PU is being thrown out.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Honestly, what is Ben doing there...he just sits.... and squints at Chris...

StarBegotten fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 30, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

5MB of network data to spawn a retaliatior, wtf

Remember that the original plan of these idiots was to transmit the thruster position, settings, etc. from each ship and then have each client calculate their movement vector, for fidelity!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's been 30 minutes, and am I right that he's on Q3?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

gipskrampf posted:

May have been me. I'm banned? I'm seem to be able to post in the chat?

well hell I saw you post "test" then - post "sort of count - uncountable" or "sort of count - lost the score" or something ;)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Yeah that has been pretty curious...

They're not bothering with certain fixes because they know some big unstated new change would force them to have to redo it anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

He literally said the initial persistence would involve your credit balance, and your ship load out. Like, really, come on.

I've seen Game of Life implementations in GWBasic with more persistence than the shitshow CRobber is describing.

I can only assume that — once again — Chris has no idea what this common online game term means, and has simply looked it up in his near-pristine 1990 edition of Webster's.

Sickening posted:

So Roberts just said something that I find to be absurd. He states that desync happens because the FPS of the server drops to be less than your client and then you desync. What the bloody hell? Why would the server be rendering anything fps related? Does he know what the gently caress he is talking about at all?

He doesn't mean “FPS” in the sense of “frames rendered” — he means server simulation ticks. The server tries to update the world state at 30 Hz. To survive and smooth things out between updates, the client runs a local world simulation that tries to predict what will happen between these ticks. Neither has anything to do with what we conventionally think of as “frames per second.”

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 30, 2016

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

Grenouilles Sans Frontiers

never not post - i think there's no way i bother catching up on 2700 pages of hilarious shitposting mixed with doom just to see if anything like this brainfart has been posted before... i'm sure it has, so... sorry.

what has been CIG's mean cashflow and balance since they started? all that free, non-interest cash they've had thrown after them...
how much credit would an investment bank lend a company based on that cashflow? and against what security or how much future dividend of potential sales? what risk would an investment bank be willing to accept?

maybe CIG still have plenty of credit thanks to an investment bank supporting them with cheap loans against potential future sales?
maybe this bank isn't even in that much of a hurry to get their payout? they've had a steady cashflow for a while and they're only really co-financing it together with some UK gov support scheme that don't even want a dividend of sales - cause they're happy with taxes or whatever. and for how long would an investment bank be willing to wait without cashflow for a game to ship so they would get paid?

hell, isn't there also a studio in Germany?
what kinda cross national EU tax break or art support or film support or export credit financing support or whatever bureaucratic government scheme... can they exploit for credit support then? maybe an investment bank and their lawyers would know? one hundred and eleven million dollars in pure cash over 5 years do tend to attract some strange people. and investment banks.

cash attracts banks.

idk,
i haven't seen any financial data, or read anything about whatever deals they may or may not have made other than i've seen that cash-raised-thingy they have on their webpage.
...i just think maybe it's a bit naïve to think any company wouldn't have plenty of bank credit after a cash run like that...? or maybe i'm all wrong in assuming anything and don't know what's happening?
or maybe they have no business acumen whatsoever and this whole dirty thing is too dirty for any bank?

idk
- some people have sources -
apparently.
the tension is continously growing.

i do know :croberts: is from a place where friends matter - i'm lucky to know some good people from that area of the world. and he's being a somewhat righteous dude to them despite everything else - management-wise or otherwise.
at least he's taking care of his bro and childhood/youth buddies that work at- and manage their companies. although maybe not so much his US wingman...
he also financed a Manchester UK production company with a Hollywood PR departement for a few years - at a minimum - and on sweet sperg cash to boot
:gary: or maybe it was all so they could have a good, loooong, coke-fuelled party together with Gary Oldman? :yarg:

maybe - against whatever reasonable thinking or evidence presented in this thread (like i said, i did not read this whole monster)- this game actually gets released at some point and :croberts:, his bro, his wife and all his Manchester friends are gonna cash in 20-50% of whatever sales they manage on top of having had a job in their own companies for 4-8 years or whatever?

maybe that's a big what-if?
50% of zero is still zero.
at least the government support schemes will probably take care of the debt to the banks.
at least they had a salary while his wife ruled her queendom through terror and guile.

idk

maybe they forgot to call the bank?
there seems to have been some indications of incompetence, poor management decisions and frantic public dog-wagging in this whole process so, who knows?

i still think/ am afraid this game will never come out and i think that would be kinda sad. that squadron 42 thing with co-op they used to promise sounded sweet.

fake edit: maybe i should have taken the :effort: to read the thread after all - this poo poo can't be right?

faker edit: this thing..! WoW!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

StarBegotten posted:

Honestly, what is Ben doing there...he just sits.... and squints and Chris...

He seems pissed at Chris... like really pissed.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
it is never coming out and is 100% hosed - straight from fuckfaces mouth.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Females confirmed for 2.4.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh good, you have to dress yourself one sock at a time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

XK posted:

Just listen to him. He's off his rocker. Toops is making a parody game, and he's feeling the need to refactor after creating 70 classes. I consider C++ to be my native language, I also code in assembly, and make my living writing analysis suites for program source and object code. I write code that both puts together and takes apart programs. With this background, I still can't even begin to imagine how they could ever come any where near delivering what Roberts is saying.

The entire enterprise has evolved into just holding everything together. It may go off in an instant.
But Sandi said he's an incredible, brilliant coder and to see him in action is just incredible so I don't know what to believe!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tippis posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:
Ow. Does anyone have a number to a surgeon — my sides need to be stitched back up together.

Your SETTINGS count as “persistence”? Your cash? In other words, to get a game where you have less persistence than Star Citizen, you would have to set up the client and earn new cash every time you run the exe. You're really aiming for the stars with your unprecedented ambition here, Chris. Jesus. loving. Christ.

I bet the cash is saved in a plain text file on the client.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DeeMurf posted:

never not post - i think there's no way i bother catching up on 2700 pages of hilarious shitposting mixed with doom just to see if anything like this brainfart has been posted before... i'm sure it has, so... sorry.

what has been CIG's mean cashflow and balance since they started? all that free, non-interest cash they've had thrown after them...
how much credit would an investment bank lend a company based on that cashflow? and against what security or how much future dividend of potential sales? what risk would an investment bank be willing to accept?

maybe CIG still have plenty of credit thanks to an investment bank supporting them with cheap loans against potential future sales?
maybe this bank isn't even in that much of a hurry to get their payout? they've had a steady cashflow for a while and they're only really co-financing it together with some UK gov support scheme that don't even want a dividend of sales - cause they're happy with taxes or whatever. and for how long would an investment bank be willing to wait without cashflow for a game to ship so they would get paid?

what kinda cross national EU tax break or art support or film support or export credit financing support or whatever bureaucratic government scheme... can they exploit for credit support then? maybe an investment bank and their lawyers would know? one hundred and eleven million dollars in pure cash over 5 years do tend to attract some strange people. and investment banks.

cash attracts banks.

idk,
i haven't seen any financial data, or read anything about whatever deals they may or may not have made other than i've seen that cash-raised-thingy they have on their webpage.
...i just think maybe it's a bit naïve to think any company wouldn't have plenty of bank credit after a cash run like that...? or maybe i'm all wrong in assuming anything and don't know what's happening?
or maybe they have no business acumen whatsoever and this whole dirty thing is too dirty for any bank?

idk
apparently.

i do know :croberts: is from a place where friends matter - i'm lucky to know some good people from that area of the world. and he's being a somewhat righteous dude to them despite everything else - management-wise or otherwise.
at least he's taking care of his bro and childhood/youth buddies that work at- and manage their companies. although maybe not so much his US wingman...
he also financed a Manchester UK production company with a Hollywood PR departement for a few years - at a minimum - and on sweet sperg cash to boot
:gary: or maybe it was all so they could have a good, loooong, coke-fuelled party together with Gary Oldman? :yarg:

maybe - against whatever reasonable thinking or evidence presented in this thread (like i said, i did not read this whole monster)- this game actually gets released at some point and :croberts:, his bro, his wife and all his Manchester friends are gonna cash in 20-50% of whatever sales they manage on top of having had a job in their own companies for 4-8 years or whatever?

at least the government support schemes will probably take care of the debt to the banks.
at least they had a salary while his wife ruled her queendom through terror and guile.

idk

there seems to have been some indications of incompetence, poor management decisions and frantic public dog-wagging in this whole process so, who knows?

i still think/ am afraid this game will never come out and i think that would be kinda sad. that squadron 42 thing with co-op they used to promise sounded sweet.

fake edit: maybe i should have taken the :effort: to read the thread after all - this poo poo can't be right?

i've no idea what you just typed but :same:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

G0RF posted:

Yeah that has been pretty curious...

They're not bothering with certain fixes because they know some big unstated new change would force them to have to redo it anyway.

Crackpot: SQ42 is built in Unity.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

Oh good, you have to dress yourself one sock at a time.

Can't wait for the :pgabz: videos

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Space Skeleton posted:

Glad they are gonna model the power being carried around the ship and have fuses blow from power surges which require you to go replace the fuses. Just wouldn't be a good game without that. Also that will totally make it into the game and is not bullshit he just made up on the spot.

i hope they pull a Simcity and in addition to modeling the electricity wandering randomly around, model the poo poo from your Connies space toilet as it makes its way through your space plumbing and into your space septic tank.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Now the game involves getting plastic surgery.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Females confirmed for 2.4.

I think you mean female. It'll be the same dead-eyed spaceman model we have now but with boobs and bangs.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
oh my - he just said there would be naked females - you have to give it to the manipulative fucker, this, if nothing else, will get all the wannabe rape and sex-slave owning spergs back onside. Clever. Ish.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DeeMurf posted:

cash attracts banks.

idk,

idk
apparently.

idk

Bad timing dude. Currently the thread is in shitposting mode. Didn't read any of that (I'll do later).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No, I won't. lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Squadron 42 is lifting the "you were horrible disfigured before the game began so you can remake your face before starting the game" trope. Fresh!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

We're not even close to the final character fidelity.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

trucutru posted:

No, I won't. lol

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
We're ah er gonna uh *BANG* do these uh things ah eh gonna *BANG* be really cool eh ah coming soon ah uh it'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
Will they dare to tell Chris to stop hitting the table?

• Locked thread