Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I normally don't watch these things because it ends up feeling vaguely embarrassing, but I might have to make an exception for this one because it all just sounds so unbelievable. Is there a recording of it up somewhere?

I thought their 20-30gb patches were just the result of them being lazy because that level of incompetence would be unbelievable, but it sounds like their netcode basically used the same design philosophy, which is uh... what's the level past unbelievable? Is this reality?

https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/57613549

e. catte

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FlyingKipper posted:

Finally, "We aren't going to waste time fixing the old system while the new one is being built."

The Baby PU is being thrown out.

Make a note of that.

Then go back to what I said yesterday....

About the mPU being on maintenance mode

Send me flowers.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

:five::five::five::five:

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

Lime Tonics posted:

It's either buffy the vampire, or princess di.

Or buffy with a photoshopped mouth. Same hair, same pose, traced mouth?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Do you guys not immediately see that is the correct image he stole from? There is absolutely no doubt at all. Princess Diana has nothing to do with anything.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lime Tonics posted:

wowzers

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

trucutru posted:

His technobabble ringed true because it is mostly correct. Correct as in this is the basic stuff anybody would do at the start of the project type of correct. Dude is not only trying to reinvent the wheel but doing it so because he saw a wheel and said "I can invent that!".

He's also being chased by a lion because he decided to get out of the truck and walk to experience "The best drat safari ever". As the lion closes in, he thinks to himself, "Once I get this wheel thing up and running, I'll escape the lion and go on to have a wonderful vacation. Maybe I'll even be the first man to discover the giraffe"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Make a note of that.

Then go back to what I said yesterday....

About the mPU being on maintenance mode

Send me flowers.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Derek outsmarted us what ya gonna do.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4cjvzo/core_3cpu2_always_maxed_out_tried_out_the/

That got me remembering I have a Core 2 Quad 9550 lying around at home

Apparently people still pay money for those things, lol

Don't be a dick. I am still on a Core 2 Quad machine. :sigh:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Do you guys not immediately see that is the correct image he stole from? There is absolutely no doubt at all. Princess Diana has nothing to do with anything.

I'm wondering whose mouth it is now. Good luck with that.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

At what point would a tier 1 person, who knows the company is on the verge of collapse, asking for money can be considered fraud?

Normally I chalk CIG's antics up to total incompetence. But eventually if the CEO knows the company is going under, and continues to ask for money, is that crossing the line into fraud?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

There's a video of him saying you'll be able to visit your friends' hangar, around 9 weeks after the 1st release of the Hangar in August 2013.

Of course there is. You clearly dont understand game development panic

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Samizdata posted:

Don't be a dick. I am still on a Core 2 Quad machine. :sigh:

How can you even internet?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Hey so did Chris mention a release date for SQ42 or Star Citizen by chance?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lmfao

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Lesnick, his necks jiggle

Lesnick, his wrists disappear.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Sperglord posted:

This is something I wonder, how can a crowd facing dev. go out and talk with the fans if the game is heading to collapse? This isn't a case of sticking on for a paycheck, because in those cases usually the money comes from a company with investors with legal protection. Here, the investors are individuals being sold the game by your own performance. If the game is clearly collapsing and you go on a show, you're helping CIG get unearned money by misleading people. That has to take a toll on devs.

It is also why I am not totally comfortable giving Tier 2, in GORFs terminology, developers a pass on their role in Star Citizen.

For the LULZ:
Chris Roberts basically wants to redo everything, doesn't he....

why deliver something? When it pays to make pictures?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I guess becoming an artist involves buying some tracing paper and sometimes mirror images, maybe use the fill tool to change a few colors around?

Who knew.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Real talk: Can anything be done to ensure that this thieving non-artist never works again? It beggars belief.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Lime Tonics posted:

Yup, you found it.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Somebody who actually reads the official forums please report feedback from the cultists.

I expect quotes like "the beautiful way Chris described his vision for the game today prompted me to pledge another $10,000. This will be the only game I play for the rest of my life..."

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Real talk: Can anything be done to ensure that this thieving non-artist never works again? It beggars belief.

Ask Ryan Archer.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why I wasn't banned

..maybe they were tracing my IP address :ohdear:

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
So, show of hands: Who thought that, of the three people at that table, Chris would be the one to have a chair collapse under him?

(@ 1:14:55 here: https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/57613549 )

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In any case, this Q&A thing convinced me that they do realize that everything is hosed up and they have to go back to step 2 (step 1 is scamming nerds out of their money) and rebuild pretty much everything from the ground up. This doesn't mean that they'll actually try, maybe they'll keep hammering those square pegs into round holes, but they finally took a look inside the diaper and are now aware of the poo poo, since apparently the stench wasn't enough of a clue.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FlyingKipper posted:

So it sounds like Star Engine is a real thing, and they are re-doing everything to make it work. This game is never coming out.

No joke, I'm actually in favor of this. There's absolutely no doubt they need to re-write whatever piece of poo poo the Alpha PU is running on. The fact that the game won't come out was a foregone conclusion. I like the idea that somehow, somewhere, deep inside CIG there are people fighting to do the right thing and winning.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

It was medieval quack doctor levels of bullshit.

Yes - it was. Completely.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sillybones posted:

Is the ELELOL that they are going to drop cryengine entirely? They are talking about switching to DX12. ripping up everything, as if this is just a casual decision.

No. It's about the end of the project. And in, The End.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sorry, I just can't get over this…

Tippis posted:

So what we can conclude from this episode is that Squadron 42 – Chris' magnum opus single player game — will not follow in the footsteps of Wing Commander and be a weaker competitor to X-Wing, but rather be something you can put next to Rebel Assault only to have Ryan Archer comment “man, that's a pretty weak copy.”

…and furthermore, think of the long-perspective meaning of what he just said should we even believe that both of SQ42 and SC will ever be completed.

There are two cases we could consider:
i) the current game modules (PTU and AC) do actually have some kind of flight physics.
ii) the current game modes do not have any kind of physics.

In case i), nothing that is currently available is of any relevance to, or offers any insight into, how ships will behave in SQ42, since whatever rudimentary physics there might be will not be used for the actual game. Consequently, none of the feedback or experience or tips generated by the tech-demo testers can be used for the one game currently in production. It's all pointless, since it will most likely be re-done another four billion times as the engine is remade.

In case ii), the much-vaunted flight model of the current modes — the one citizens like to compare favourably to the supposed hackery of E:D or Descent or any of the other space games out there — does not exist. It's entirely made up; entirely in the heads of said citizens. It is quite literally just a zero-friction FPS character. Better still, it will be exactly the same in the planned final release of SQ42, and still not be anywhere near what those other games offer.

Bonus case iii) both of the above are true because SC will have the same non-physical “flight model”.

The lunacy of what he said and the sheer brazenness of saying it live on a community podcast has me genuinely shocked.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 30, 2016

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Further thoughts on the stream:

WTF was going on with the Lesnick? He said precisely NOTHING through the whole stream. He just sat there like a (large) sack of spuds and sort of zoned out. I found myself wondering whether if the speculation about an immanent E.L.E is true and that he knows about it that his general demeanor and body language was that of a man in the depths of despair. There he is, next to his hero, with the knowledge (according to Dereck/Gorf speculation about tier 1-4 knowledge sharing) that SC is hosed watching his hero is lying/self deluding to all the shitizens to sell them more jpegs. Perhaps there is a man examining his conscience.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Limited edition mouse mats. Concierge backers pay more obviously as they have more money.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So is there a summary of this stream?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Galarox posted:

WTF was going on with the Lesnick? He said precisely NOTHING through the whole stream. He just sat there like a (large) sack of spuds and sort of zoned out.

I didn't read it so much as zoned out but more 'silently seething'.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

Limited edition mouse mats. Concierge backers pay more obviously as they have more money.

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Toops posted:

No joke, I'm actually in favor of this. There's absolutely no doubt they need to re-write whatever piece of poo poo the Alpha PU is running on. The fact that the game won't come out was a foregone conclusion. I like the idea that somehow, somewhere, deep inside CIG there are people fighting to do the right thing and winning.

I remember having a conservation on RSI forums about the issue of engine refactoring. It was called a clear sign of the project being FUBAR. Now to see those very days.

Ironically, CIG could get a great start on their game by just licensing the Elite or Infinity engine. Those two will give CIG the seamless, fidelity experience the users have been demanding.

Of course, going to someone else, Braben or a handful of Indy devs would be the ultimate humiliation, so CIG would never consider that, even if CIG had money available to complete the rework.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
ok 1500 posts you fuckers. what's happened since yesterday and what page did it happen on

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nomenclature posted:

So, show of hands: Who thought that, of the three people at that table, Chris would be the one to have a chair collapse under him?

(@ 1:14:55 here: https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/57613549 )

I was genuinely curious why if the CEO of your company is going to be on your webcast, why you would not give him your fancy race chair instead of make him sit in some plebeian mesh task chair?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Galarox posted:

WTF was going on with the Lesnick? He said precisely NOTHING through the whole stream. He just sat there like a (large) sack of spuds and sort of zoned out. I found myself wondering whether if the speculation about an immanent E.L.E is true and that he knows about it that his general demeanor and body language was that of a man in the depths of despair. There he is, next to his hero, with the knowledge (according to Dereck/Gorf speculation about tier 1-4 knowledge sharing) that SC is hosed watching his hero is lying/self deluding to all the shitizens to sell them more jpegs. Perhaps there is a man examining his conscience.

I'm guessing he got chewwed out for "lack of communicating" and all he can manage with chris around is whoa did we whoa ep did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

So is there a summary of this stream?

Chris is on drugs.
Ben is angry.
Lando is about to bolt.
Game is being remade, but every problem they're trying to fix by doing so is so stupid that it can only be compared to the cataclysmic incompetence of the proposed solution.

• Locked thread