Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kild posted:

So PS2 Abyss is fine? I don't have a 3ds
Yes, especially if you play the Undub version so you get voices during the skits (albeit in Japanese).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ps2 versions looks better, has better framerate during battles, but kinda bad load times and some instances on the overworld where the framerate goes to poo poo.

it's still totally playable though, the load times aren't horrendous. really, the big problem with the ps2 version is the crashes on the second mystic artes, but you can only use those during newgame+ anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I really hope Zestiria, Berseria and Symphonia PC all sold/sell well enough for them to keep porting titles over. I'd love to see poo poo like Vesperia, graces and Xillia on PC.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah id love xillia on steam

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
All JRPGs should be on Steam.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Verranicus posted:

I really hope Zestiria, Berseria and Symphonia PC all sold/sell well enough for them to keep porting titles over. I'd love to see poo poo like Vesperia, graces and Xillia on PC.

Actually the popular assumption has been that Berseria has free camera control to force the seamless battles to work, but suddenly I wonder if there wasn't a direction at some point to make the next Tales more PC-compatible.

(This is not why I'm in this thread, okay, I wanted to chat about Star Ocean but I had to come out of hiding early.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caphi posted:

I wanted to chat about Star Ocean

ok let's chat about star ocean

let's chat about how lovely it is that it isn't coming to pc

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verranicus posted:

All JRPGs should be on Steam.

Well Criminal Girls is coming to Steam so wish granted I guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The White Dragon posted:

ok let's chat about star ocean

let's chat about how lovely it is that it isn't coming to pc

Well, I wanted to chat about it later after I got home and started the new one because I bought it because outside of the combat it looks like everything I ever wanted out of Tales of Zestiria and some stuff I didn't know I wanted out of Zestiria.

I'm going to use it as a test ground for PS4 streaming too because I want to do that when Berseria comes out as well.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The entire universe is just some MMO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Well, I wanted to chat about it later after I got home and started the new one because I bought it because outside of the combat it looks like everything I ever wanted out of Tales of Zestiria and some stuff I didn't know I wanted out of Zestiria.

I'm going to use it as a test ground for PS4 streaming too because I want to do that when Berseria comes out as well.
be sure to tell us how it is, id be interested in impressions

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Overbite posted:

i refuse to accept that writing decision, and also I refuse to accept the existence of a 'fruit sandwich'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

i refuse to accept that writing decision, and also I refuse to accept the existence of a 'fruit sandwich'
they're pretty common in japan. you can even buy them pre-made and packaged in convenience stores.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

be sure to tell us how it is, id be interested in impressions

I will do that and also I'll share footage. My current knowledge of it is it looks like a very pretty action RPG and I know basically nothing about the plot other than there are bad guys in space and I think they're making a bad thing or a superweapon or something, and the tiny girl has a mysterious power so that's where I'm coming from.

I watched a preview stream of it from last year's TGS and one of the audience questions was "the heroine doesn't leave partway through, right?" and I chuckled because I'm terrible.

Oh speaking of which I'm late to comment on that meltdown thing but I'll do it anyway: 2ch is awful and all their opinions are poo poo because they're like Gamers but without the veneer of "censorship" whatever that gaijin have to hide behind to feel respectable. I'm pretty sure they just shamelessly consider the pantycam a feature. However I think "害人" is kind of cute outside of being xenophobic and horrible.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 31, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hmmmm. okay that looks kinda good. as a kid I had this picture of chisato placing one banana on a hoagie roll.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Overbite posted:

Well, one of the people behind SO4 said that might actually not be true.

Also my contribution to SO Chat is that SO3 is still the worst JRPG I've ever played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SO3 has some decent music and the combat isn't awful. A couple of the characters are even likable. I'd hardly call it the worst.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I enjoy albel nox. I don't care how much of a teen that makes me.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
About to beat Shadowrun Dragonfall then it's off to Hong Kong - what else might scratch that weird crunchy cyberpunk RPG itch?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

SO3 has some decent music and the combat isn't awful. A couple of the characters are even likable. I'd hardly call it the worst.

I don't remember any likable characters. Maybe Nel? I didn't much like the battle system, either. Then again, it was my first ever Action RPG.

I'm not an expert who has played a load of JRPGS. I'm sure there are worse games out there.But of the ones I have played, SO3 was the worst experience yet.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GulagDolls posted:

He's fun. He's kind of a great party member to have and it's always fun to have at least one member of the group to whom "massacre everybody" is a viable approach to a problem.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I always end up controlling the ranged/healer characters in Star Ocean for some reason. In 1-3 it was because I was always underleveled and I didn't trust the AI to keep me alive, in 4 there was some stupid gauge or whatever that you wanted to fill/keep filled (I forget what it did, I ahven't played it in forever) and getting hit had a stupid high chance of breaking it and loving you, so playing anyone but Reimi was necessary to not rage out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ShineDog posted:

About to beat Shadowrun Dragonfall then it's off to Hong Kong - what else might scratch that weird crunchy cyberpunk RPG itch?
I guess Underrail but it's a significant step downwards

By downwards I mean I couldn't stomach it after 3 hours. Maybe it got better. I'm pretty down about indie rpgs as of late.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GulagDolls posted:

Sssshockwave Swirl

ShineDog posted:

The SNES/SMD Shadowrun games? Uhhh, not really an RPG but the old Syndicate games are pretty good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nel was cool

Never really cared much about the mmo thing, but then I never got that far anyway so

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

but how many half-a presses does it take

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Playing SO5 on YouTube from now until basically whenever I want to eat or sleep, and then at some future point after that, I dunno, I have no plans and I'm not going to have any presentation or commentary, I'm probably just going to hit Share whenever I'm playing. I'll archive it all for the sake of publishing the footage once I figure out how that works, but just an FYI generally. (Also I have never streamed to Youtube before so I don't know what I'm doing, technically.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Caphi posted:

Playing SO5 on YouTube from now until basically whenever I want to eat or sleep, and then at some future point after that, I dunno, I have no plans and I'm not going to have any presentation or commentary, I'm probably just going to hit Share whenever I'm playing. I'll archive it all for the sake of publishing the footage once I figure out how that works, but just an FYI generally. (Also I have never streamed to Youtube before so I don't know what I'm doing, technically.)

what's with all the english text

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

what's with all the english text

Yeah there's a lot of English UI there. Maybe there's region detecting code for SE Asia/HK?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah there's a lot of English UI there. Maybe there's region detecting code for SE Asia/HK?

Nah, that's just common for a lot of Japanese games. There are even games which have English text they change for the English version to other English text.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/uncovered/us/

they have cosplayers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

a lot of japanese games have english UI for aesthetic reasons. It looks cool and the basics are taught in Japanese schools such that people can generally understand stuff like 'menu' or 'equipment.'

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

English is a required course in Japanese schooling last I checked.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

wearing the official™ outfits of Noctis and Prompto

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the average japanese person isn't exactly a fluent speaker or writer but they can read english signage and say 'yes or no,' which is enough to get by when communicating with an english speaker or having to visit an english speaking country for a few days, which is basically the intent of the schooling so mission accomplished.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I like how when I clicked in to watch it was playing Valkyrie Profile music.

Not, like, nearly Valkyrie Profile music, or music in the style of Valkyrie Profile, just actual Valkyrie Profile music.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prism posted:

I like how when I clicked in to watch it was playing Valkyrie Profile music.

Not, like, nearly Valkyrie Profile music, or music in the style of Valkyrie Profile, just actual Valkyrie Profile music.

If this is the regular battle music for this Star Ocean game, it'll probably be a day one purchase for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a day-one/preorder bonus, it was leaked earlier.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ImpAtom posted:

There are even games which have English text they change for the English version to other English text.

Probably because a lot of the English UI text in Japanese video games was clearly never looked at by a native speaker. They have stuff like "1000 Damages!" and "Surprise Encount!" that obviously just read horribly to anyone who actually speaks the language.

(Though what I find baffling is that they tend to stick with the Engrish even if they already have properly localized versions of the text right in their game assets, like in PS3 Tales of Vesperia.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Probably because a lot of the English UI text in Japanese video games was clearly never looked at by a native speaker. They have stuff like "1000 Damages!" and "Surprise Encount!" that obviously just read horribly to anyone who actually speaks the language.
purify weird soul