Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Meskhenet posted:

Should an 11x11 reactor be able to handle tier 3 mek ore production? (the 4x ore) ?

As soon as i put a stack of ore in the chemical induction chamber im negative 6mill rf (at least thats how im reading the cable. Ultimate universal cable tells me im 0/6000000+ and rising when active. The once production stops that last number falls. Once it no longer shows me a value my reactor internal starts to replenish.)

My reactor is doing 4.84 KiRF a tick at max and i have some insignificant generators that kick back in once im in the negative. (like 960rf a tick between them all).

Do i need to build a turbine? (quest is telling me to do so)

Should i build a 2nd reactor and turbine? As this reactor is gelid/ender cooled

Ive never built a turbine before.

(im trying to get the 900 dark steel for my wither cage :/ and i cant just throw stacks in as power is an issue now)
How in the gently caress are you only getting 4.84 kRF from a gelid/ender 11x11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah, I get 5k from a 5x5x5 cooled with liquid ender. Is the pack in question nerfed?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

isnt there a difference between KRF and KiRF?

so 4.8Ki is 4800

Oh it is also only 1 high. Adding just a 2nd layer would double my output it seems.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 30, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Should an 11x11 reactor be able to handle tier 3 mek ore production? (the 4x ore) ?

As soon as i put a stack of ore in the chemical induction chamber im negative 6mill rf (at least thats how im reading the cable. Ultimate universal cable tells me im 0/6000000+ and rising when active. The once production stops that last number falls. Once it no longer shows me a value my reactor internal starts to replenish.)

My reactor is doing 4.84 KiRF a tick at max and i have some insignificant generators that kick back in once im in the negative. (like 960rf a tick between them all).

Do i need to build a turbine? (quest is telling me to do so)

Should i build a 2nd reactor and turbine? As this reactor is gelid/ender cooled

Ive never built a turbine before.

(im trying to get the 900 dark steel for my wither cage :/ and i cant just throw stacks in as power is an issue now)

you may need some buffer of a capacitor/energy cube . of course i have my turbine running at 2000mb/t steam producing 25kRF/t (and i have 2 of those) and then a Mek laser Reactor producing god knows how much - all; i know is it is filling up the induction matrix with 8GRF in seconds.

(turbine last check was running 25Krf/t at 0.14 mb/t yellorium)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

you may need some buffer of a capacitor/energy cube . of course i have my turbine running at 2000mb/t steam producing 25kRF/t (and i have 2 of those) and then a Mek laser Reactor producing god knows how much - all; i know is it is filling up the induction matrix with 8GRF in seconds.

(turbine last check was running 25Krf/t at 0.14 mb/t yellorium)

So short answer, build a turbine.

I see that there is reactor coolant ports. Does the heat inside the reactor generate the steam or does the power from the reactor power a steam generator?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

So short answer, build a turbine.

I see that there is reactor coolant ports. Does the heat inside the reactor generate the steam or does the power from the reactor power a steam generator?

i always use a 7x7x3 reactor
3x3x1 in the middle of fuel rods then liquid ender round the outside
with 2 coolant ports in the top or bottom (one blue one red) plus 1 on the side to pump water in.
Then you build the turbine on top/bottom, with the turbine fluid ports matching colors (red/blue) on top of the coolant ports
Then 4 layers of Coil (ludicrite) followed by 80 turbine blades above.
That will work at 2000mb/t on about 90% fuel rods and be producing 25kRF/t (slightly up from that actually )

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 30, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nomikos posted:

Gregtech new horizons trip report, in case anyone cares.
"Realistic World Gen" claims to support Thaumcraft biomes, but in fact it doesn't loving work no matter how much you tweak the biome weights and re-generate the world and fly around in creative mode, crying. Why did I pick it??? I finally gave up again and cheated in the stupid drat Vishrooms I was looking for.

I hate Minecraft and I hate myself, good night

I found a magical forest just fine. It's possible that RWG doesn't properly use its config because the mod is broken as poo poo. NO OCEANS. EVER. No jungles either I hear. It's kindof a shame because the deserts look loving great and I like how it incorporates BoP biomes. It's not going to be fixed either, because the author disappeared off the face of the internet. I think ATG is the only thing like it now?

Oh, it also fails to create Tainted Land. You have to create that yourself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

is there a good modpack on technic that has thaumcraft 5 and the 'new' botania and whatever else? maybe even psi?

part of me kind of hopes that something has the betweenlands already included, but i'm not super confident.

my search for this has led me to believe 'no' and to also discover that there's a lot of really bad modpacks out there.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

i always use a 7x7x3 reactor
3x3x1 in the middle of fuel rods then liquid ender round the outside
with 2 coolant ports in the top or bottom (one blue one red) plus 1 on the side to pump water in.
Then you build the turbine on top/bottom, with the turbine fluid ports matching colors (red/blue) on top of the coolant ports
Then 4 layers of Coil (ludicrite) followed by 80 turbine blades above.
That will work at 2000mb/t on about 90% fuel rods and be producing 25kRF/t (slightly up from that actually )

Ok i will give this a try.

My more pressing problem atm is getting the mek chemical crystalizer to work with a tesseract. What loving pipes do i have to use? The pressurized pipes fit the machine, but not the tesseract. Everything else ive used fits the tesseract but not the machine. And i not even the mek portable tanks work with their own pipes? WTF??

Edit- found out i needed another machine in there to turn the lithium from liquid to gas.....

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 30, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Do you guys mostly play on online servers, or prefer to play in single player? And is 1.7.10 with mods still where all the fun is at? I don't really know what was added in 1.9, and if I remember right, 1.8 barely had any changes worth giving up all of the 1.7 mods for?

Can someone bring me back up to speed? What's hot and what's not now that we're in 2016?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Do you guys mostly play on online servers, or prefer to play in single player? And is 1.7.10 with mods still where all the fun is at? I don't really know what was added in 1.9, and if I remember right, 1.8 barely had any changes worth giving up all of the 1.7 mods for?

Can someone bring me back up to speed? What's hot and what's not now that we're in 2016?

Most packs i play are 1.7.1.

Im mostly single player.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
1.7.10 is still the mature mod marketplace of the moment. 1.8 has.. some magic mods going for it (notably the Thaumcraft 5) but no RF capability currently so no tech. Also an upgrade to NEI called JEI (different mod by different people, same idea but made better). 1.9 has uh.. 'Chisel and Bits'. Otherwise no not really worth giving up mods for.

I normally hate to play singleplayer, though I'm currently making an exception with an adventure modpack called Blightfall. Then it's back to multiplayer exhibition building and such.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

We're moving into 1.8.9 right now, and the reason it's taken so drat long is because minecraft changed how it handles blocks, they're rendered way differently now. I'm not playing 1.8 yet (because I have made the terrible decision to start playing New Horizons). I'm not sure exactly what new was added during 1.8, mostly large backend stuff, but IIRC bunnies are a thing now.

1.9 has a bunch of actually exciting gameplay changes (the end has STUFF, you can fight the Ender Dragon more than once, having a tool in either hand, trick arrows and more), and from what I've heard is less of an issue updating to than most other updates so long as you're on 1.8.9 already, so we should hopefully see a short turnaround time.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Black Pants posted:

1.7.10 is still the mature mod marketplace of the moment. 1.8 has.. some magic mods going for it (notably the Thaumcraft 5) but no RF capability currently so no tech. Also an upgrade to NEI called JEI (different mod by different people, same idea but made better). 1.9 has uh.. 'Chisel and Bits'. Otherwise no not really worth giving up mods for.

I normally hate to play singleplayer, though I'm currently making an exception with an adventure modpack called Blightfall. Then it's back to multiplayer exhibition building and such.

You can play Blightfall multiplayer.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

So hard to find a server and you'd want to get in ground zero, not when its over.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McFrugal posted:

I found a magical forest just fine. It's possible that RWG doesn't properly use its config because the mod is broken as poo poo. NO OCEANS. EVER. No jungles either I hear. It's kindof a shame because the deserts look loving great and I like how it incorporates BoP biomes. It's not going to be fixed either, because the author disappeared off the face of the internet. I think ATG is the only thing like it now?

Oh, it also fails to create Tainted Land. You have to create that yourself.

We used RTG to generate the map over on the Disasterpiece Theater server and with minor tweaking to the biome sizes, we got it to work really drat nicely. We have Thaumcraft, Twilight Forest, RTG, Biomes O' Plenty, and a few other mods that tweak biomes and world gen and it generated pretty much everything. Granted, some biomes, like blighted and wasteland, are rare, and there's only 1 section of those, but that's fine and works for our needs.

Considering it's Gregtech, I'm willing to bet that it's Gregtech loving with world gen, and not RTG.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've actually started playing FTB: Infinity Expert Mode, and it's pretty fun. The progression is really layered and different, and the way the recipes have been changed really promotes cross-mod dependency. Even little things like Thaumium being made from manasteel instead of iron makes a big difference. There's also a lot of really convenient infrastructure to build, IE is something really different from what I'm used to, and the whole structure of the thing is geared towards stockpiling ridiculous amounts of resources for each successive tier. It's a lot like New Horizons, but without all the sub-recipes and processing machines (screwdrivers, files, soft hammers, screws, bolts, rings, etc), and seems geared more towards allowing excess than preventing it. As was mentioned before, the very endgame goals are to craft creative-mode resources, so literally infinite energy is one of them.

My only real stumbling block so far is early game diamonds, since you need 10 to get your first machines and another 12 to get your first true gating machine, the Rock Crusher. Luckily I guess that's a problem solved by just continuing to dig around. I'm aiming to get a lapis-infused Fortune hammer early on and a silky pick to compliment, but at this point I'm not sure what my best bet for materials is. Signalum is tempting (though I can't access it quite yet), the downside would be a high repair cost, and hammers can't really benefit from Moss as much because of the huge durability count.

I like not having Iguana Tweaks to level up weapons, which was a chore, but I miss the swappable tool parts. You really have to have your things together before you start upgrading your tools.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I've actually started playing FTB: Infinity Expert Mode, and it's pretty fun. The progression is really layered and different, and the way the recipes have been changed really promotes cross-mod dependency. Even little things like Thaumium being made from manasteel instead of iron makes a big difference. There's also a lot of really convenient infrastructure to build, IE is something really different from what I'm used to, and the whole structure of the thing is geared towards stockpiling ridiculous amounts of resources for each successive tier. It's a lot like New Horizons, but without all the sub-recipes and processing machines (screwdrivers, files, soft hammers, screws, bolts, rings, etc), and seems geared more towards allowing excess than preventing it. As was mentioned before, the very endgame goals are to craft creative-mode resources, so literally infinite energy is one of them.

My only real stumbling block so far is early game diamonds, since you need 10 to get your first machines and another 12 to get your first true gating machine, the Rock Crusher. Luckily I guess that's a problem solved by just continuing to dig around. I'm aiming to get a lapis-infused Fortune hammer early on and a silky pick to compliment, but at this point I'm not sure what my best bet for materials is. Signalum is tempting (though I can't access it quite yet), the downside would be a high repair cost, and hammers can't really benefit from Moss as much because of the huge durability count.

I like not having Iguana Tweaks to level up weapons, which was a chore, but I miss the swappable tool parts. You really have to have your things together before you start upgrading your tools.

Does FTB infinity have a quest book or do you have to stumble through the altered progression with just NEI?

I wanted to try the pack out but it's so bloated to a ridiculous degree with garbage that it uses 3.3GB of memory at first launch in the main menu. And it crashes when you add any texture pack, without fail. Even after I stripped out the 10 most bloated mods it still crashed on me. And lol I'm never gonna play MC with vanilla textures, full stop.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Cryohazard posted:

Now I have an itch to play blightfall multiplayer again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh, I forgot all about fluxed tools. I guess I could just do that instead of worrying about durability.

Taffer posted:

Does FTB infinity have a quest book or do you have to stumble through the altered progression with just NEI?
There are two guides, one in-game and one hosted on google docs, which guide basic progression, but no HQM. If I knew more about HQM (and had a more competent grasp on this pack) it would probably be easy to convert either guide into a fairly simple and barebones HQM guide though.
It takes less memory and loads way faster than New Horizons for me, though I guess that's a low bar to pass.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

We used RTG to generate the map over on the Disasterpiece Theater server and with minor tweaking to the biome sizes, we got it to work really drat nicely. We have Thaumcraft, Twilight Forest, RTG, Biomes O' Plenty, and a few other mods that tweak biomes and world gen and it generated pretty much everything. Granted, some biomes, like blighted and wasteland, are rare, and there's only 1 section of those, but that's fine and works for our needs.

Considering it's Gregtech, I'm willing to bet that it's Gregtech loving with world gen, and not RTG.

That's RTG, not RWG. RWG is a different mod! It looks like it behaves similarly so maybe it was a fork of RWG, but it's still not the same mod. The latest version of RWG is an alpha build, so...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Dunno if this is the right place or if anyone gives a poo poo, but in some IRC discussion about game mechanics and Minecraft, Factorio, and the like, an idea occurred to me.

A lovely thing about Minecraft is that you end up either strip-mining continents or using an MFR laser to generate endless streams of whatever you like. Factorio has resource deposits that are large enough to justify building infrastructure around, but Minecraft ores aren't conducive to that.

Wouldn't it be better (or at least more interesting) to have a mod with resource nodes on the bedrock layer that spout a certain ore at a certain rate? Place an extractor/drill/whatever over that node, wherever it may be) and collect them, rather than just spamming lasers in your fortress of solitude?

You can talk about maximum amounts per node or declining production (similar to Factorio's oil wells) but I think the main point is it would be more interesting to have resources worth finding and building infrastructure over rather than just strip-mining everything or magicking them up inside your base.

Edit: I think this would work better for oil than BuildCraft's lovely spawning mechanic, as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I always thought the idea of say, minecarts and mineshafts don't really fit Minecraft that much, since ore distribution is the same everywhere at a given layer, and ore deposits are gone in seconds and don't need infrastructure.
Maybe a new mechanic in general? Make deposits bigger but more scarce, but similar to what you suggested, give each ore a capacity. When you mine it, the block itself doesn't disappear, it just decreases capacity. Better picks/machines mine more at a time. There'd be a reason to stick around if you find a particularly good vein.
Definitely something that needs to be balanced into a high-consumption pack, and/or make it so multiple ore are needed per ingot since ore retrieved will go way up, but I like the idea of having to stake out certain spots instead of just wandering aimlessly.

New Horizons is probably the closest there is to this with its massive, isolated deposits. As that pack proved, though, you need some method of prospecting, or you might as well be feeling around in the dark for hours.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Just use an all stone hammer/broadaxe with diamond enchant, for the broadaxe you can use a wood tool rod because it cuts so fast anyway, use compressed cobblestone to repair them. Once you get access to the nether do the same thing. Stone hammer head + all ardite. It's the best way to exploit TiC and it's why Iguana Tweaks removes stone. They are pretty much the best tools because stonebound is busted.

Tool Forge is gated behind some tech. You'll be using a not hammer for a while.

I've been playing infinity expert alone on my own server, and I took a few day detour to unlock gendustry which requires a whole lot of bee breeding with apiaries. I've never done bees before and gendustry being gated kind of has motivated me. It seems like a massive time investment. I guess with gendustry it wouldn't be from what people have said. I'm at the very end of the bee breeding now (have excited and windy, getting earthen, these are pretty easy with high chances), it took something like 40 generations on 4 queens to get a single breed (with 3x soul frames) earlier on in the tree to point out how tedious bee breeding can be. I also need to decide what I'm doing for power. I haven't setup an ic2 reactor yet and you need to unlock to further tech stuff at some point so maybe I'll just do that. But I kind of want to do something else first. I'm intentionally avoiding making a tree farm for charcoal, although I'm not even sure I can make plastic sheets yet.

Taffer posted:

I wanted to try the pack out but it's so bloated to a ridiculous degree with garbage that it uses 3.3GB of memory at first launch in the main menu. And it crashes when you add any texture pack, without fail. Even after I stripped out the 10 most bloated mods it still crashed on me. And lol I'm never gonna play MC with vanilla textures, full stop.
I don't actually know. There is a google doc with a guide to it, although whoever wrote it recommends lots of inefficient stuff. But it does give clear goals. I think there is in an in-game book but I don't know how to get it.

Someone managed to get ftb infinity to <1gb of ram. I think you have to remove/edit the hats mod and a few other things. If you google it you can find the person's adventure doing it. Its load time isn't too bad, and whether it usees 3.3gb of 8gb is irrelevant to me. The server pack uses a much smaller amount of memory so most of it is probably due to the naive resource caching system and lots of mods (hat mod specifically) having loads of resources to keep in memory at all times even when the hats aren't displayed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 31, 2016

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

GotLag posted:

Dunno if this is the right place or if anyone gives a poo poo, but in some IRC discussion about game mechanics and Minecraft, Factorio, and the like, an idea occurred to me.

A lovely thing about Minecraft is that you end up either strip-mining continents or using an MFR laser to generate endless streams of whatever you like. Factorio has resource deposits that are large enough to justify building infrastructure around, but Minecraft ores aren't conducive to that.

Wouldn't it be better (or at least more interesting) to have a mod with resource nodes on the bedrock layer that spout a certain ore at a certain rate? Place an extractor/drill/whatever over that node, wherever it may be) and collect them, rather than just spamming lasers in your fortress of solitude?

You can talk about maximum amounts per node or declining production (similar to Factorio's oil wells) but I think the main point is it would be more interesting to have resources worth finding and building infrastructure over rather than just strip-mining everything or magicking them up inside your base.

Edit: I think this would work better for oil than BuildCraft's lovely spawning mechanic, as well.

TFC's vein and prospecting system is somewhat similar to that, with ores clustering together in large deposits and each kind of ore being specific to the surrounding stone. It forces you to explore somewhat, since no one type of stone will have everything you'd want. Its prospecting system is also wide ranging enough to be useful while still not perfectly accurate or reliable enough to trivialize finding the right ore.

Also, for respawning resources to build infrastructure around, that honestly sounds a lot like TC5's node/aura system. Small entities in the world spawn the resources you need slowly over time, with your interaction with them going from not knowing they're even there to investigating and scouting them out to being able to manipulate them to some degree, at a cost.

If you're trying to design a new resource acquisition system, look for interesting tradeoffs. You might be able to get more production out of a resource node at the risk of long-term depletion or pollution-style effects (think TC Flux), or be able to temporarily sacrifice production from one type of resource to fuel another. Maybe large-scale infrastructure could pull nodes closer to the surface, or spawn dangerous mobs in exchange for more valuable resources.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I always thought the idea of say, minecarts and mineshafts don't really fit Minecraft that much, since ore distribution is the same everywhere at a given layer, and ore deposits are gone in seconds and don't need infrastructure.
Maybe a new mechanic in general? Make deposits bigger but more scarce, but similar to what you suggested, give each ore a capacity. When you mine it, the block itself doesn't disappear, it just decreases capacity. Better picks/machines mine more at a time. There'd be a reason to stick around if you find a particularly good vein.
Definitely something that needs to be balanced into a high-consumption pack, and/or make it so multiple ore are needed per ingot since ore retrieved will go way up, but I like the idea of having to stake out certain spots instead of just wandering aimlessly.

New Horizons is probably the closest there is to this with its massive, isolated deposits. As that pack proved, though, you need some method of prospecting, or you might as well be feeling around in the dark for hours.

Minecarts are only useful when used as a fast travel mechanism, which means the time spent putting down tracks must eventually be made up for by repeated trips down the tracks. Which means there needs to be some reason to repeatedly access a location. In the case of a large ore deposit being the reason for repeated visits, you would also need to be unable to bring back a large portion of it at once. Which means reducing the maximum stack size for ore. Minecarts with chests can then be used to let you take back more ore per trip, further reducing travel time. I've played in packs before that reduced stack size for ore, but it was not combined with large ore deposits or the need for large amounts of ore, so I *still* didn't use minecarts. I have yet to play a pack that gives me a reason to use minecarts in single player. Pretty much the only time they're worth putting down is in multiplayer, when there is no other fast travel alternative.

It's also worth noting that minecarts in real life were used as part of a group effort to mine out ore. The miner would dump ore in the minecart send it back to the entrance once it was full, then continue mining. Workers at the entrance would empty the cart then send it back to the miner. This is pointless in minecraft, obviously.

...oh, I guess you can use minecart chests as item transport for processing, if you have no alternative.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 31, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Minecarts are only useful when used as a fast travel mechanism, which means the time spent putting down tracks must eventually be made up for by repeated trips down the tracks. Which means there needs to be some reason to repeatedly access a location. In the case of a large ore deposit being the reason for repeated visits, you would also need to be unable to bring back a large portion of it at once. Which means reducing the maximum stack size for ore. Minecarts with chests can then be used to let you take back more ore per trip, further reducing travel time. I've played in packs before that reduced stack size for ore, but it was not combined with large ore deposits or the need for large amounts of ore, so I *still* didn't use minecarts. I have yet to play a pack that gives me a reason to use minecarts in single player. Pretty much the only time they're worth putting down is in multiplayer, when there is no other fast travel alternative.

It's also worth noting that minecarts in real life were used as part of a group effort to mine out ore. The miner would dump ore in the minecart send it back to the entrance once it was full, then continue mining. Workers at the entrance would empty the cart then send it back to the miner. This is pointless in minecraft, obviously.

...oh, I guess you can use minecart chests as item transport for processing, if you have no alternative.

yeah, you can actually build complicated item transport systems with just vanilla minecraft and vanilla redstone using chest minecart and hopper carts, it's useful for doing Botania The Way The Mod Author Intended

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What about minecarts as an item transport system? Adjust the recipe so track is cheaper than piping for long runs, allow items put in one "station" to be withdrawn (immediately?) from any other connected station, and occasionally draw a moving minecart as a cosmetic indication the track's in use.

And make hostile mobs want to attack the tracks (and so disrupt the network).

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vib Rib posted:

There are two guides, one in-game and one hosted on google docs, which guide basic progression, but no HQM. If I knew more about HQM (and had a more competent grasp on this pack) it would probably be easy to convert either guide into a fairly simple and barebones HQM guide though.
It takes less memory and loads way faster than New Horizons for me, though I guess that's a low bar to pass.

I took a break from IE:E about a month ago (Stardew Valley, Factorio, and now the Sky Factory 2 modpack have been eating up my gaming time). I'll probably come back to it again at some point. I didn't get to the creative stuff, but I did get through a fair amount of tech progression (Big Reactor, AE2, RFTools dimension builder) and a bit of magic progression.

As Vib notes, there's no HQM book, but there's an in-game guide in custom menu accessible from the player inventory screen. IIRC, it's mostly an early-game guide to get you pointed in the right direction early on. There's also the Google docs guide someone put together on r/feedthebeast, which is pretty good. Hypnotizd also did a let's play on YouTube and that seemed okay from what I watched of it.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite no quest book, the custom recipes generally create a nice pace of progression and also create mod-dependencies that force you to really explore lots of the mods in the pack. It prodded me to learn several mods I hadn't really touched before (IC2e, Immersive Engineering, Storage Drawers, RFtools, Draconic Evolution, Botania, and Witchery so far). I'm sure some people would hate a modpack that forced them to explore mods they dislike or are unfamiliar with, but given how long we've been on 1.7.10, it was exactly what I needed to refresh my interest and to get me to try some new mods and some new builds. I'll also say that personally it never felt grindy to me. It gates some familiar and essential techs pretty hard (notably AE2 and ender quarries), but I usually had so many projects on the go at a given time that I never felt like I was stuck grinding for resources or that it involved GregTech-levels of microcrafting.

Though it's worth noting that I tweaked several things to avoid stuff I consider "stupid bullshit." For example, I added in AE2 Stuff, disabled exploding reactors in IC2e, disabled weeds in Agricraft, unnerfed the RF output of Big Reactors and the ore vein output of Immersive Engineering excavators, switched Thaumcraft research to easy mode, and skipped the Gendustry gating (Gendustry is gated behind the Infinity Bee, so you need to do a lot of old-fashioned breeding before you can use Gendustry). Aside from the Big Reactors change, though, these didn't really help speed through progression of the pack so much as they minimized annoyances.

Taffer posted:

Huh. I used the Soartex Fanver texture pack and had no issues with crashing on IE:E (playing in SSP). That was on version 2.3.5 of the pack though, so maybe something's changed.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 31, 2016

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

McFrugal posted:

Minecarts are only useful when used as a fast travel mechanism, which means the time spent putting down tracks must eventually be made up for by repeated trips down the tracks. Which means there needs to be some reason to repeatedly access a location. In the case of a large ore deposit being the reason for repeated visits, you would also need to be unable to bring back a large portion of it at once. Which means reducing the maximum stack size for ore. Minecarts with chests can then be used to let you take back more ore per trip, further reducing travel time. I've played in packs before that reduced stack size for ore, but it was not combined with large ore deposits or the need for large amounts of ore, so I *still* didn't use minecarts. I have yet to play a pack that gives me a reason to use minecarts in single player.

TechNodefirmacraft pretty much fits this bill. Ore gen is TFC, so it's big deposits a long way from each other. Ore pieces only stack to 16 and you need 4 ores to make an ingot. The pack includes Immersive Engineering as the major tech goal so you need massive quantities of metal. And in TFC travel on foot tends to be more difficult (or at least more time-consuming).

It was fun when I played it last year and it looks like there have been a few big updates since then. I did in fact end up building a railway to a few of my distant mines and using it regularly.

e: drat, now I want to abandon my Gregtech game and do this pack again

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TFC is like the only "modpack" i've played where getting a horse was a huge priority

unfortunately after like 20 minutes of owning one i'd ride it into a loving ravine :argh:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I like the idea of depleting ore veins with automated extraction and transport, but I'm annoyed by the idea of a goddamned vein loving with my rooms when I'm trying to excavate my bunker. This is what annoys me most about IguanaTweaks.

Keeping it near bedrock or at some other predictable Y level goes a long way toward that, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Khorne posted:

Just use an all stone hammer/broadaxe with diamond enchant, for the broadaxe you can use a wood tool rod because it cuts so fast anyway, use compressed cobblestone to repair them. Once you get access to the nether do the same thing. Stone hammer head + all ardite. It's the best way to exploit TiC and it's why Iguana Tweaks removes stone. They are pretty much the best tools because stonebound is busted.

Tool Forge is gated behind some tech. You'll be using a not hammer for a while.
Yeah, I have the tool forge. I have two stone-headed lumber axes: one with auto-smelt, one without. Works well with the 2x2 planting of jungle saplings. It's nice being able to grow and fell a mega-jungle tree and end up with about 100 charcoal, all in the space of about 5 seconds. As soon as I got these my Botania mana production exploded. Endless charcoal is great. Now I just need to find a useful way to automate it.
If Flux works out I might make a hammer with a really nice head. If not, I'll go stone, like you recommended. Plus a thaumium handle, for more modifiers.

I'm also trying to figure out the perfect weapon. Crossbows are great but the problem is that if they do too much damage per shot, both the Thaumcraft and Botania bosses will essentially ignore them. I have to hit the threshold but not go over if I intend to make a boss-killer.

Khorne posted:

There is a google doc with a guide to it, although whoever wrote it recommends lots of inefficient stuff.
Anything in particular stand out? I've been using that doc as heavy reference and I want to avoid any major pitfalls but I'm not familiar enough with the mod to recognize them.

Also, gendustry is awesome and just about the only way I'd ever touch bee breeding in any modpack, but here I just don't see the point. I'm not sure what bee breeding can get you in this pack you couldn't get quicker and easier with other means.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

As soon as I got these my Botania mana production exploded. Endless charcoal is great. Now I just need to find a useful way to automate it.

hopperhocks to clean up. I think the sparks have a system of transfering items and a basic chest/open crate on a vanilla redstone set up should automate it.

If you have the infernal furnace in thaumcraft just have some golems chop down the trees and feed it to some sort of pipe system. Stick a brain in a jar to collect the free xp. The pipe it to the redstone dropper set up. (pressure plate that stops dropping more until they are taken.)

Typically with botania and thaumcraft an automated charcoal factory is the first thing i get set up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Anything in particular stand out? I've been using that doc as heavy reference and I want to avoid any major pitfalls but I'm not familiar enough with the mod to recognize them.

Also, gendustry is awesome and just about the only way I'd ever touch bee breeding in any modpack, but here I just don't see the point. I'm not sure what bee breeding can get you in this pack you couldn't get quicker and easier with other means.
The tech progression requirements are on point and helped me immensely, but the inefficiency comes in min-maxing certain stuff. Like solar panels are cost inefficient relative to other means of producing power. I mean if you want to do solar then who cares, just do it, I'm debating doing it at some point.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So I blew my BFSR quest book editing night tonight discovering that adding quests that involved either a sky stone or a sky stone chest would crash Minecraft with an out of bounds exception on index 0. I don't get it either.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I like the idea of depleting ore veins with automated extraction and transport, but I'm annoyed by the idea of a goddamned vein loving with my rooms when I'm trying to excavate my bunker. This is what annoys me most about IguanaTweaks.

Keeping it near bedrock or at some other predictable Y level goes a long way toward that, though.

I feel your pain, a small room in my underground base usually ends up massive as i cant stand ore in the wall, or cobble

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So I blew my BFSR quest book editing night tonight discovering that adding quests that involved either a sky stone or a sky stone chest would crash Minecraft with an out of bounds exception on index 0. I don't get it either.

just do the usual quest of having 1 of each press, also have the duplication quest, too many people don't know how to copy their presses.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

the raw stuff from meteors or the cooked stuff to make the ME stuff? Im sure ive seen the cooked stuff in quest books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

the raw stuff from meteors or the cooked stuff to make the ME stuff? Im sure ive seen the cooked stuff in quest books

I dunno what really was doing it. I had the crafting quest for the compass. No problem. I add the stub for detecting meteor stuff. When I specifically added sky stone stuff and back out of that screen, it would crash. I tried dirt, and it didn't. I worked on a completely different quest, and no crashy.

I mostly just wanted a spot to explain the trick of using chunk boundaries to isolate the meteors, so I crammed that in the compass crafting subquest text on the right-hand side.