Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

That would require knowing when he drops the shield one turn beforehand. I guess I could experiment to see it it's always after the, say, fifth turn, but it'd be really tedious and if he follows previous super attacks (loving Rusalka) it's not going to be consistent.

Special attacks go through the shield anyway and I know his weaknesses (Examine is good), so it's not going to be completely insurmountable especially as I caved and googled to see if an attack called Energy Burst is magical or not and of loving course it isn't and contrary to Rusalka's absurd Dark Flow which is a water wave which is, again, physical damage, you apparently can at least Default against it. Just need to also have shields on everyone and heavy armor and hopefully that + Default is enough to mitigate literally 3000+ damage I eat right now (Hard Mode yo).

He drops it every three turns and uses Energy Burst every 4th turn, IIRC. Honestly, out of the 4 crystal guardians, he's probably the hardest just because of how hard Energy Burst hits, but he also fires it off on a pattern.

Also... you're bitching about having to figure out the pattern of a boss despite playing Dark Souls games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Action Tortoise posted:

have any from games ever made a good whip weapon? threaded cane didn't look so good compared to the other starting weapons.

Monofilament whip in Shadowrun Hong Kong is probably the best weapon in the game, but it's not really that "whippy" - it's just another ranged attack weapon, you can't grab things with it or other Indiana Jones stuff.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Randalor posted:

He drops it every three turns and uses Energy Burst every 4th turn, IIRC. Honestly, out of the 4 crystal guardians, he's probably the hardest just because of how hard Energy Burst hits, but he also fires it off on a pattern.

Also... you're bitching about having to figure out the pattern of a boss despite playing Dark Souls games?
Beat him. Rusalka was harder.

I wasn't bitching about the pattern - that the bosses are basically big puzzles is actually one of my favourite things in the game. My gripes were:
- Jump is not a solution (I tried it again - you can definitely jump last in a turn and then come down BEFORE the boss acts, making it even more useless. And yes, I almost wiped to that)
- Energy Burst is physical, which is not a puzzle solution that makes any sense
- Also, I dislike counting turns, AND I couldn't really know that it's consistent because Rusalka certainly isn't consistent with its Seep timing

The solution, at the end, was just packing on armor and Defaulting correctly. It's not that big of a deal. But the details above? Dragging it down for sure. I'm sure that Energy Burst is physical because you can get armor more easily, they want it to matter and various other behind-the-scenes balance reasons - it still makes no sense considering the name and animation.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

For Bloodborn whips, If you're willing to dedicate yourself to arcane and plunge the DLC for its secrets you can turn every part of your body into a whip and whip everything all the time forever. Regular attacks become jokes but your dash attacks become huge instant room sweeping bullshit nonsense.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

My problem with Bravely Default is that there isn't a single dungeon in the game that would not be improved by replacing the entire thing with a short corridor with a wide-spot for the treasure chests and a save spot at the end so you have a convienent shop when you're grinding. The only things interesting in the dungeons are the random encounter tables, the treasure, and the bosses. The mazes are just tedious and boring, the traps are annoying and easily ignored if you have the 'dungeon master' ability from the Freelancer class, and the puzzles are insultingly easy but time-consuming.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game, probably one of my favorite Jrpgs in recent memory. I can look past the story being the usual cliche poo poo (even though I really wish Shulk would stop and think about what he's doing once in a while), since the gameplay is so good.

The exception, however, is the boss fights. Most of the really plot-important boss fights involve you just hitting them enough to trigger a cutscene. After which you'll continue the fight with both your and the boss's health usually restored to full, and repeat. It really is disappointing to have the game interrupt you just as you're getting a good rhythm going. And to twist the knife further, the cutscene usually consists of your party going "It's no use, he's too powerful! What are we gonna do?" even though you would have easily won if the game hadn't interfered. Heck, sometimes you don't even get to beat the boss, they'll just be killed off in a cutscene.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Simply Simon posted:

...if an attack called Energy Burst is magical or not and of loving course it isn't...

Yeah, for whatever reason about 90% of Monster attacks in the game are physical, even if their name/animation would suggest otherwise. Really threw me off against a certain set of bosses.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Ratoslov posted:

My problem with Bravely Default is that there isn't a single dungeon in the game that would not be improved by replacing the entire thing with a short corridor with a wide-spot for the treasure chests and a save spot at the end so you have a convienent shop when you're grinding. The only things interesting in the dungeons are the random encounter tables, the treasure, and the bosses. The mazes are just tedious and boring, the traps are annoying and easily ignored if you have the 'dungeon master' ability from the Freelancer class, and the puzzles are insultingly easy but time-consuming.

Definitely agree on this, though that's always sort of been an issue with JRPG overworlds, and Bravely Default in particular is trying to deliver the "classic" experience.

What really spoiled the game for me was how glaringly tedious and monotonous the game became in it's final arc, and how you were more or less required to find or look up the "break the game over your knee" exploits to complete the later battles.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

RyokoTK posted:

the Estus Flasks, souls, the bonfires, the inventory, lack of pausing, messages, blood stains, status effects that build up with a meter, and consumables that all existed in Dark Souls

I can't see what any of these things have to do with its control scheme. Its a 2D platformer, I'd expect it to play like a 2D platformer.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Fatty posted:

I can't see what any of these things have to do with its control scheme. Its a 2D platformer, I'd expect it to play like a 2D platformer.
Sure, but the problem with the control scheme in S&S is that you can't remap the buttons and dodge being a shoulder button feels awkward, regardless of 2D or 3D. You can remap keys at the OS level, but then that changes them for every game you play. Not being able to easily map buttons to whatever I want is a thing dragging not only S&S but any game that doesn't have a rebind function down.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Stardew Valley, my dumb wife has miscarried 4 times in a row.

Unless she's dumping the babies in the crop box or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

It has miscarriage?! :pwn:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Lizard Wizard posted:

It has miscarriage?! :pwn:

More likely a bug. She just keeps... forgetting she's pregnant. And then she gets pregnant again.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ugh, another miscarriage. Stupid wife. :bahgawd:

:v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

More likely a bug. She just keeps... forgetting she's pregnant. And then she gets pregnant again.

Is your wife's name Kay Adams-Corleone?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

A bug is likely considering someone managed to end up in a situation where their husband duplicated himself every time they loaded their save, eventually ending up with a clone army of harveys.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Captain Lavender posted:

I know it's often harder on the player

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Once my stardew valley dog existed in the void outside the inside of my house and I couldn't pet him all day.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hotline Miami 2 is a video game based off the premise that every single cartel in Florida, in the early nineties, really loved to make their houses out of glass

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I just started* playing Disgaea 5, and outside of the awful, awful story, I was having a lot of fun making numbers go up, mostly because there were so many ways to do it, and no matter what I did it seemed like I made some progress. Whenever I got bored of the lovely anime about friendship, I could level up some items, subdue innocents, find new weapons, learn skills, unlock classes, boost squads and become really overpowered without even noticing it and just having a grand old time.

Then I reached the end of the story and the post-game, and 2 things became apparent:
1. Everything that I'd done so far was completely useless;
2. There was only one "right" way to go from there.

Once you reach the post game, there are a couple of scenarios that you unlock that can be completed at or around end-game levels or with minimal grinding, but at a certain point, you reach the loving WALL of the Carnage Dimension. To even unlock the loving thing, you need to min/max a character, which means that you have to follow a very specific path unless you want to waste ten times as much time doing loving chores before your character is even viable to bring into the second half of the post-game.

I have only played the original Disgaea before, but I think I remember that after spending some time bringing your first character to an insane level by going through the same map (Cave of Ordeals 3, I think?) about a million times, you could start dicking around again and you'd still make progress, and if you wanted to bring other characters up to speed for some variety, you could give them some insane weapons that your main character leveled up and they would catch up in no time.

In Disgaea 5, the first thing to do when approaching the late post-game is to master EVERY sub-class with a character for a boost to their base stats, then reincarnation (starting over from level 1) then back to level 9999 for the stat growth. This is done on a single map, repeated dozens of times, and takes for loving ever unless you have a very specific skill unique to a specific class, which makes it only take most of forever.

Once you've done that, you have a tiny bit more freedom on the next steps, but I feel like it's much more advantageous to go for shards and extracts (which directly raise stats) by grinding in a single stage with, again, a specific skill unique to the same class as before. Once you've done that for another forever, you're ready to go hunt for weapons, then level these weapons and put some innocents on them.

And even after your first character has gone through all of this, it doesn't help much with bringing other characters up to speed because they still have to master all of the sub-classes.

I mean, I know that Disgaea is all about the grind, but progression was so organic while I was still going through the story and it came to a dead stop once I reached the post game, I think I got whiplash. And the fact that literally everything that you do before that very specific min/maxing regimen is literally useless. Even worse because I feel like Disgaea 1 got this part so much better.

Maybe it's just nostalgia...

*What do you mean 100 hours played!? How is that even possible?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Krinkle posted:

Once my stardew valley dog existed in the void outside the inside of my house and I couldn't pet him all day.

This is the worst problem I've ever read in this thread.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Away all Goats posted:

This is the worst problem I've ever read in this thread.

This is truly intolerable.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
The only thing wrong with Paper Mario: TTYD is the tediousness and repetition of traveling in its chapters. I loved fighting it always a felt puzzle to destroy as fast as possible, but slowly walking right is the majority of the exploration and doesn't feel good compared to just about anything else from the game. I say chapters because Rogueport is great as you gradually explore it labrynths.

But Boggly Woods and the spooky Halloween town still have my favorite aesthetic, tone and pallet of all Mario games I think. I just wish they'd remaster it and cut out the padding like they did with wind waker.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

Have you tried.... moving past and healing?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

Have you tried drawing a webcomic?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I tried, but I just don't have the chops :<.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Pffft, drawing's for scrubs. Just drag this around onto peoples' heads with a touchscreen: B^U

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Haley finally gave birth to little baby Babs, so it's all good for now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fatty posted:

Well the thing is that there's no reason for the buttons to not just match what they are in Dark Souls, or at least for there to be an alternate scheme. Just about the only difference I can think of for controls between Dark Souls and S&S is that the latter has a dedicated jump button, which makes sense because it heavily emphasizes platforming. There's still "light attack" and "strong attack," and there's still "use item" and "dodge" buttons. In Dark Souls, attacks are done with the shoulder buttons and use item/dodge are face buttons. In Salt and Sanctuary, attacks are done with face buttons and use item/dodge are shoulder buttons. It's not like the circumstances in which you would use them are different in one or the other, and it's not like you attack so much more or less in one or the other that it predicates being in that position.

I don't even want to say that it's better or worse that light and strong attack are face button commands in Salt & Sanctuary, it's just that they're different from Dark Souls when they very clearly and deliberately aped as many elements of that gameplay as they possibly could given the 2d setting, for no real reason.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Got the Tex Murphy games in a bundle a while ago and played them for the first time, since I somehow never got to it when they were new. Pretty cool and silly, but there's two things that drive me up the loving wall about them - mazes and timed sequences. I know it was the 90's and early 00's, so this might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but mazes are stupid poo poo that belongs in the garbage. I ragequit Pandora Directive near the very end, when it turned out I had to backtrack through a lava maze while being shot with fireballs, and then backtrack some more through a bigger boring maze, because I forgot to pickup a matchbox by the entrance or some stupid poo poo like that. Also, timed sneaky sequences with Tex Murphy control scheme are super not fun at all.

It's great that whoever made the recent kickstarted sequel learned from their mistake and patched out the sneaky bits, so that in the few places that it happens, enemies only notice you if you straight up bump into them. Glad I didn't pick it up before the patch, because there's one sneak/avoid moment inside a maze, that is now only mildly annoying.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Captain Lavender posted:

Haley finally gave birth to little baby Babs, so it's all good for now.

I have this weird bug where my baby won't grow up and I'm about to have a second one.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

RyokoTK posted:

There's still "light attack" and "strong attack," and there's still "use item" and "dodge" buttons. In Dark Souls, attacks are done with the shoulder buttons and use item/dodge are face buttons. In Salt and Sanctuary, attacks are done with face buttons and use item/dodge are shoulder buttons. It's not like the circumstances in which you would use them are different in one or the other, and it's not like you attack so much more or less in one or the other that it predicates being in that position.

At a guess, this is a result of the right thumbstick being a lot more important in Dark Souls. It makes sense that a game that doesn't use it would favour the face buttons.

But I agree with theHairyManling, its kind of stupid in this day and age for a game to not have easily rebindable controls.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hotline Miami 2 is a video game based off the premise that every single cartel in Florida, in the early nineties, really loved to make their houses out of glass

HM2 is less a game than it is a bunch of things dragging a game down stapled together, like the devs were determined to remove everything people liked about the original.

The swan twins were cool as hell though.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
dear GOD, I'M REALLY GETTING TIRED OF ALEX LAGGING ROOMS BEHIND ME

In the console version, the AI seems to be less hosed up than I remember, and then I play it on PC, suddenly everything breaks! Some enemies just phase through walls and murder me, Alex is a loving shithead who needs to get his head in the game, and I still really loving hate how the Pig Butcher did nothing at all that mattered to the story

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

I just started* playing Disgaea 5, and outside of the awful, awful story, I was having a lot of fun making numbers go up, mostly because there were so many ways to do it, and no matter what I did it seemed like I made some progress. Whenever I got bored of the lovely anime about friendship, I could level up some items, subdue innocents, find new weapons, learn skills, unlock classes, boost squads and become really overpowered without even noticing it and just having a grand old time.

Then I reached the end of the story and the post-game, and 2 things became apparent:
1. Everything that I'd done so far was completely useless;
2. There was only one "right" way to go from there.

Once you reach the post game, there are a couple of scenarios that you unlock that can be completed at or around end-game levels or with minimal grinding, but at a certain point, you reach the loving WALL of the Carnage Dimension. To even unlock the loving thing, you need to min/max a character, which means that you have to follow a very specific path unless you want to waste ten times as much time doing loving chores before your character is even viable to bring into the second half of the post-game.

I have only played the original Disgaea before, but I think I remember that after spending some time bringing your first character to an insane level by going through the same map (Cave of Ordeals 3, I think?) about a million times, you could start dicking around again and you'd still make progress, and if you wanted to bring other characters up to speed for some variety, you could give them some insane weapons that your main character leveled up and they would catch up in no time.

In Disgaea 5, the first thing to do when approaching the late post-game is to master EVERY sub-class with a character for a boost to their base stats, then reincarnation (starting over from level 1) then back to level 9999 for the stat growth. This is done on a single map, repeated dozens of times, and takes for loving ever unless you have a very specific skill unique to a specific class, which makes it only take most of forever.

Once you've done that, you have a tiny bit more freedom on the next steps, but I feel like it's much more advantageous to go for shards and extracts (which directly raise stats) by grinding in a single stage with, again, a specific skill unique to the same class as before. Once you've done that for another forever, you're ready to go hunt for weapons, then level these weapons and put some innocents on them.

And even after your first character has gone through all of this, it doesn't help much with bringing other characters up to speed because they still have to master all of the sub-classes.

I mean, I know that Disgaea is all about the grind, but progression was so organic while I was still going through the story and it came to a dead stop once I reached the post game, I think I got whiplash. And the fact that literally everything that you do before that very specific min/maxing regimen is literally useless. Even worse because I feel like Disgaea 1 got this part so much better.

Maybe it's just nostalgia...

*What do you mean 100 hours played!? How is that even possible?

I found every Disgaea after the first one to be boring, but I loved the first one. I mean the story is some anime bullshit, but the gameplay just clicked with me. I had it on PS2, then got it for PSP, and I've already bookmarked the new steam release for it and I'm sure I'll play the crap out of it, but I could never get into the sequels.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I heard life is strange was very heavy-rain-esque but I don't think I like the protagonist much. This teen dialog is pretty awful. I touched someone's white board outside their room and the "THERE WILL BE DIRE CONSEQUENCES" warning popped up. I can't deal with how every adult has psychic powers to know when I did a thing and need to be grilled. No part of this first chapter has been fun or interesting.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Krinkle posted:

I can't deal with how every adult has psychic powers to know when I did a thing and need to be grilled.

Hahaha what are you, an orphan? All moms get that power.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Yeah eight year olds wear their guilt on their face but this character has the same mopey expression at all times so why the gently caress is the principal during a fire drill pulling me over and asking me what the gently caress I'm so guilty over. Is this really the right time for this? And if You volunteer that you saw a guy with a gun he calls you a liar and yells at you anyway. I don't appreciate damned if you do or don't questions. This isn't a telltale game.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

HM2 is less a game than it is a bunch of things dragging a game down stapled together, like the devs were determined to remove everything people liked about the original.

The swan twins were cool as hell though.

The level design took a huge nosedive in the sequel. I cleared the first jungle section and was playing as the cop again and the level he was in was just so loving open that I would die instantly and have no idea what happened. Eventually I got to a screen where you enter from the right, and once you go past the first glass room you start next to you're more or less surrounded on all sides by dogs, fat men, and who the gently caress knows what else. Last time i bothered playing that piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krinkle posted:

Yeah eight year olds wear their guilt on their face but this character has the same mopey expression at all times so why the gently caress is the principal during a fire drill pulling me over and asking me what the gently caress I'm so guilty over. Is this really the right time for this? And if You volunteer that you saw a guy with a gun he calls you a liar and yells at you anyway. I don't appreciate damned if you do or don't questions. This isn't a telltale game.

You're accusing the guy whose family donated entire buildings. The principal knows the shitstorm going "hey guys who own this place, your son bright a gun into the school" will create and would rather ignore it.