Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Probably because a lot of the English UI text in Japanese video games was clearly never looked at by a native speaker. They have stuff like "1000 Damages!" and "Surprise Encount!" that obviously just read horribly to anyone who actually speaks the language.

(Though what I find baffling is that they tend to stick with the Engrish even if they already have properly localized versions of the text right in their game assets, like in PS3 Tales of Vesperia.)

The funniest one to me was FFXIII changing Attacker/Blaster/Defender/Jammer/Enchancer/Healer to Commando/Ravager/Sentinel/Saboteur/Synergist/Medic.

Endorph posted:

purify weird soul

That is unimpeachable and flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Endorph posted:

purify weird soul

I grow tired of you...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

purify weird soul

Hurry up press button!!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah exactly, that's what happens if someone doesn't bother localizing the already-there English.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are these guys in the FF15 announce thing supposed to be funny, or

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verranicus posted:

Are these guys in the FF15 announce thing supposed to be funny, or

"Kinda Funny" is definitely not the right name for them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It just seems weird to me that S-E would leave this to two random dudes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Verranicus posted:

It just seems weird to me that S-E would leave this to two random dudes.

They're not random, to the majority of the viewers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

They're not random, to the majority of the viewers.

I'm a pretty big nerd and I've never heard of them, plus they're not entertaining at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I'm a pretty big nerd and I've never heard of them, plus they're not entertaining at all.

You're a big nerd that never heard of IGN?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people still use IGN?

game review sites have mostly been replaced by youtubers

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

You're a big nerd that never heard of IGN?

I don't use review sites like that and haven't for years, and even if I did I doubt I'd use them enough to know contributers by name or anything.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ffxv has: clothing line, anime, movie, car, theme park, restaurant chain

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Immediate Star Ocean impressions:
  • This game is doing, technically, everything Tales of Zestiria did but a jillion times better.
  • It is really bad at telling you where to go. There was an entire bit where I got lost because someone told me to take some pass but all they gave me was its name, and every other route out of town was blocked but there didn't seem to be a map or pointer (the minimap is fairly small especially compared to the large areas). I got unlost by looking up the place in the in-game encyclopedia, where it said "in the southern part of such and such field." (I am really bad at remembering fantasy names, also.)
  • Fiore's appearance does not match her character at all.

Prism posted:

I like how when I clicked in to watch it was playing Valkyrie Profile music.

Not, like, nearly Valkyrie Profile music, or music in the style of Valkyrie Profile, just actual Valkyrie Profile music.

Yeah, I set it when I started for fun.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 31, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

did the ps4 re-release of witch and the hundred knight end up being good. i know the story is still god awful or whatever but i always thought the game seemed neat

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Caphi posted:

[*]Fiore's appearance does not match her character at all.

Is this a good thing or bad thing?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

people still use IGN?

game review sites have mostly been replaced by youtubers
It appears these actually were youtubers. Some ex-IGN people that have somehow become Let's Play superstar bigshots. It's honestly baffling.
Still, for an "Announcement announcement event", that was good, content wise.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RadicalR posted:

Is this a good thing or bad thing?

For her character? I'm not sure I know her well enough to say, but in the ten minutes she was around the word that came to mind is "professional" (she is a royal magic researcher/expert mage) and this is the design I'm talking about :

No, wait:

Fiore Brunelly posted:

She wears rather revealing clothing. Her legs are marked with high-tier runes. Perhaps showing those off is a way for her to express pride in her talents.

So you see, it's actually empowering. I got nothing on the hair or the floating wings/tail.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

that's, uh

that's what you're going with here? really?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

that's, uh

that's what you're going with here? really?

Don't worry it's not gay.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guest designs by the Choaniki artist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i'm glad they decided to give him a FORBIDDEN MURMUR attack that POISONS ALL MEN with his GAY WORDS, im really glad of that, yeah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but don't worry, phew, jhe's not really gay, he's a normal person who we can be friends with, loving relieved there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think that's what's going on there

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

japan has some real loving issues depicting homosexuality and it's not cool is all im saying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

japan has some real loving issues depicting homosexuality and it's not cool is all im saying
i have seen more stuff from japan im cool with than stuff from america im cool with tbh

that said i wouldn't call persona 4 an example of it. i wouldn't call it like, #problematic but i wouldn't call it super progressive like people try to pretend it is either.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I'm seeing various tweets from the PR conference going that FFXV needs 10 million sales to succeed. Something FF7 only did after years of rereleases.

FFXV is gonna try its best and destroy big budget JRPGs on its way isn't it? :smith:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HGH posted:

So I'm seeing various tweets from the PR conference going that FFXV needs 10 million sales to succeed. Something FF7 only did after years of rereleases.

FFXV is gonna try its best and destroy big budget JRPGs on its way isn't it? :smith:

Big budget JRPGs don't really exist outside of SE projects in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Please note that FF7 was released on a single platform in an era before digital distribution and with significantly less marketing hype than FFXV is getting. 10 million is an optimistic number but not an impossible one.

Note that FFXIII did almost 10 million worldwide without steam numbers taken into account.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention FF15 was siphoning resources for a decade, its no surprise it needs a huge turnaround to not be a failure.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Big budget jrpgs like

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also, there's no timeline on the sales. If they're expecting 10 million over 3 years, that's totally doable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Big budget jrpgs like
neptunia vii

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I can't remember if it was Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs but didn't SE consider one of them a failure even though they sold somewhere around 3 million copies? Maybe they just have crazy expectations

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

Big budget jrpgs like

FF 7

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im gonna play more katamari instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Red Red Blue posted:

I can't remember if it was Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs but didn't SE consider one of them a failure even though they sold somewhere around 3 million copies? Maybe they just have crazy expectations

That was mostly them covering for the insane losses FF 14 1.0 was causing at the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

Covering for FF14 1.0's failure, especially with their latest financial report praising Tomb Raider's success on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they have the clothing line, car, and movie to save them. or not