Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Born and raised in Perth, you're not wrong. You're even less wrong about Adelaide.

On the game: The Flooded District is one of my favourite areas, especially the later parts. Seeing the wider areas of Dunwall is super interesting. The DLC really expands on it too, which I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
As mentioned:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Poil posted:

You missed the overseer in the prison tank next to yours where you wake up. Sloppy. :colbert:

Yes. That was the sloppy part of my run.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Everytime I see or hear the place Morley I keep thinking of that silly rhyme two of Slackjaw's thugs talk about when you visit them.

There once was a man from Morley,
who desired a woman most sorely.
He gave her his cash,
she gave him a rash.
That's all, there is no morely.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yes. That was the sloppy part of my run.
Let he who is without sin rivercrust burns and bruises from falling cast the first stone.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Torlon
Oct 27, 2007

Kittens, you have to get them before they get you

Orv posted:

As mentioned:

Interesting... the month of harvest is after the month of darkness, month of high cold, and month of ice.

Unless you go up instead of down which is weird.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orv posted:

As mentioned:

I'm not seeing any real world landmass in there. Maybe a bit of russia but to me it looks mostly like a generic random landmass with some mountains sprinkled on top.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

This was the mission that stumped me, I was trying to do a nicey-nice low chaos no-murder run but I could not sneak past the assassins, and I hadn't gotten good enough with the sword to fight them effectively with all the organic nasties as well.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

This was the mission that stumped me, I was trying to do a nicey-nice low chaos no-murder run but I could not sneak past the assassins, and I hadn't gotten good enough with the sword to fight them effectively with all the organic nasties as well.

It's ridiculously easy to accidentally kill someone in that level too, what with all its narrow platforms and water that everyone except Corvo is allergic to.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Every known city and place of interest on the map is a coastal city.

But everyone dies on contact with a drop of water.

There's a good meme in that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

double nine posted:

I'm not seeing any real world landmass in there. Maybe a bit of russia but to me it looks mostly like a generic random landmass with some mountains sprinkled on top.

It's the British Isles chopped up and with bits added on to disguise it, but maybe I'm crazy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As someone from Adelaide, can confirm.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

double nine posted:

Orv posted:

As mentioned:

Pandyssia is a murderous version of Pangaea ('all-earth' bluntly turned into 'all-hosed'*), so although it IS a copypasted real world landmass it's one that's out of date about 200 million years. TheLastRoboKy actually and understandably slips up a little and swaps the names by mistake around 2:40 in this update's intermission. It's almost a pity that what details we have about it don't indicate it also has similar wildlife - I don't think a giant murderous supercontinent with supertoxic gophers and giant angry rats would necessarily be a cooler setting feature than a giant murderous supercontinent with Dishonour-fied Dimetrodon and/or gorgonopsids. The Paleozoic's under-represented.

*I may not actually understand Greek

EDIT Oh wait you were all talking about the Isles NEVER MIND.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Torlon posted:

Interesting... the month of harvest is after the month of darkness, month of high cold, and month of ice.

Unless you go up instead of down which is weird.

This is what you get when your world is orbiting a black hole. poo poo gets weird.

Drakyn posted:

Pandyssia is an Australian version of Pangaea

ftfy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

double nine posted:

You can kinda see an italy boot at the north west and some spain-ish thing right to the east of it ?

But yeah that's all I see for the main landmass

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pandyssia is apparently full of horrible and deadly animal life forms (the plague rats came from there, for example). Be interesting to get more lore about that when DIshonored 2 hits.

KrendarsAdventures
Mar 24, 2016

OOOooo Dishonored, one of my favourite games ever :D

Ah, Arkane Studios. I remember being really happy with their other game, Arx Fatalis, back in the day. And then Dishonored blew me away.

It was like ye olde Thief, only way better!

As far as the mentions of Italy and Spain go, I always thought the game's country of Serkonos was more like those countries.

Not sure what to think of Pandyssia, but it gives me an oriental vibe. Probably because of pandas in the name. Kinda.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
"Gristol" always seemed to me to be a hilariously lazy mangling of Bristol, one of Britain's major ports.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Prenton posted:

"Gristol" always seemed to me to be a hilariously lazy mangling of Bristol, one of Britain's major ports.

It also sounds like Gristle, which is pretty gross.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

KrendarsAdventures posted:

Ah, Arkane Studios. I remember being really happy with their other game, Arx Fatalis, back in the day. And then Dishonored blew me away.

They are also the ones that made dark messiah, of which Coolguye and roboky also did an LP.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fathis Munk posted:

They are also the ones that made dark messiah, of which Coolguye and roboky also did an LP.

Oh, wow; I never made that connection. I just mentally slapped Bethesda over the studio name every time. That explains the oddly familiar feeling when I tried Dark Messiah some time after Dishonored.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Well now that you're actively mocking the missed grabs, I need to get this out of my system.

Okay that's enough.

Corvo stop.

No don't look at the songbook he's going to start danc-

ffs

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

This game is great because you have the opportunity to change your tactics as you go, you're not locked into a good/mad dichotomy from the start and can pretty much do whatever you like. Obviously some skills are only really good for murder but you can do stealth with the basic setup if you want and the mobility skills are always good regardless so you're never really stuck with just one option.

I've only played through once so far, but I was trying to do a stealth-based clean-hands run. I quickly realised I wasn't good enough at stealth to do a clean hands run. I tried to do a mostly-stealth kill-if-cornered run. Then I got to the Tallboys. I tried to do a mainly-stealth-but-gently caress-those-guys run. When I got back to the Tower to kill the Spymaster, I gave up on mercy and went for a stealth-based bloody vengeance run. Then I got to this chapter, where I got betrayed, and decided on a go-loud take-their-loving-heads run.

Ended up getting the Low Chaos ending, despite gradually deviating from controlled, harmless patience to outright berserker psychopath. I don't know if many people do it the other way around.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

Well now that you're actively mocking the missed grabs, I need to get this out of my system.

Okay that's enough.

Corvo stop.

ffs

More speed! I demand more speed!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fish Noise posted:

Okay that's enough.

Corvo stop.

ffs

oh god dying

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RoboKy, do not worry, I am also absolutely bad with grenades in video games. That railing bounce would have almost definitely backfired and exploded in my face.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Fish Noise posted:

Okay that's enough.

Corvo stop.

ffs
Somewhere in that beautiful mess is a new avatar for Coolguye.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

anything's better than another year of sarah

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Shei-kun posted:

Somewhere in that beautiful mess is a new avatar for Coolguye.

Waaaaaay ahead of you.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

When we saw those brilliant gifs (Thanks aplenty to you Fish Noise you are an excellent people) I knew it wasn't long before Coolguye got one.

He's the master of sweesh.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Now we need one for the other two.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's beautiful

i love it <3

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

it's beautiful

i love it <3

:3:

I couldn't not do it after seeing the gifs.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I can't imagine RoboKy wouldn't fit the dancing one.

I'm still really happy he's got the one I gave him, though.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Oh god what has happened here

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Oh god what has happened here

miracles

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
mistakes into miracles

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think I need something more murdery if we're going to take Scar away from me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Come to think of it, one of the first Dishonored 2 trailers showed a dead body being turned into some sort of horrible hive for nesting wasps. We're probably gonna see a lot more awful murderous Pandyssian life forms in the future. This is a pretty lovely world to live in when even the oysters shoot acid at you.

But I love it, too. Like many have said, this game really feels like a spiritual successor to the Thief games and one of the features in that (especially the very first one, the Dark Project) was weird-rear end life forms. They had burricks, these giant iguanas that belched poison gas at you.

KrendarsAdventures
Mar 24, 2016

Fathis Munk posted:

Good point! Dark Messiah was also an excellent game. I played through that many, many times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Holy poo poo someone noticed my Alpha Protocol LP.
I was there back when you started it. :cheeky:

Also upholding a tradition. :v:

• Locked thread