Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Please note that FF7 was released on a single platform in an era before digital distribution and with significantly less marketing hype than FFXV is getting. 10 million is an optimistic number but not an impossible one.

Note that FFXIII did almost 10 million worldwide without steam numbers taken into account.

Everyone forgets that FF7 PC is not a new thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff8 pc as well

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is there seriously a real clothing line now? I missed the PR thing so what is even happening with this game anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also, ,remember that they had already burned a ton of money on ff15 with literally nothing to show for it. even if ff15 doesnt make back the entire investment, if it at least makes back more than theyve put in since nomura left the project it'll be somewhat of a success and they won't have to explain a massive pointless loss of money to stockholders.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is there seriously a real clothing line now? I missed the PR thing so what is even happening with this game anymore.
japanese games do cross-branding with fashion lines fairly frequently? FF13 had some stuff. you can buy high heels modeled after tales of characters. Senran Kagura had a thing with a women's punk clothing line for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Everyone forgets that FF7 PC is not a new thing.

It is not a new thing but its original sales numbers were pretty low IIRC so it isn't really the same thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the airship being the car blew my mind

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant stop laughing at the black one tbh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you think we will ever find out exactly how much money they put into FFXV?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think its pretty and support anyone who chooses to wear it. i can not extend the same support to the flying car.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

i cant stop laughing at the black one tbh

Those are some ugly rear end shoes

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Does it light up when you take a step?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good to see Ring Pop has expanded to shoe-making.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
More S-E titles set in Ivalice, please.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

ImpAtom posted:

Please note that FF7 was released on a single platform in an era before digital distribution and with significantly less marketing hype than FFXV is getting. 10 million is an optimistic number but not an impossible one.

Note that FFXIII did almost 10 million worldwide without steam numbers taken into account.

[citation needed]

You're probably thinking of the numbers they gave out during the LR PR blitz, which put XIII + XIII-2 at 9.7m total. That's over three million off the mark.

I don't see how they approach ten million without a near-simultaneous PC release, which they didn't announce. Even then it's very optimistic given the Japanese market today vs. when XIII came out.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Francis posted:

I don't see how they approach ten million without a near-simultaneous PC release, which they didn't announce. Even then it's very optimistic given the Japanese market today vs. when XIII came out.

They probably are banking on the multimedia strategy thing pulling in good work for them, with the anime + movie drawing in more people for the games release.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well the PC port isn't gonna be close to simultaneous it seems.
https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/715587589970010112

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Might as well call it part of the brand rebuilding effort at that point.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

1:05) Charge
6:15) Arranging Characteristics

as in like the track that plays when you choose your character and set up their forte loadout :v:

Just playing catchup don't mind me. I don't have either of these tracks on my OST, welp. Now I'm wondering how many other ones I'm missing.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Verranicus posted:

More S-E titles set in Ivalice, please.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

HGH posted:

So I'm seeing various tweets from the PR conference going that FFXV needs 10 million sales to succeed. Something FF7 only did after years of rereleases.

FFXV is gonna try its best and destroy big budget JRPGs on its way isn't it? :smith:

It's also launching in a market where the Japanese home console industry has shrunk significantly. About four million of FF7's ten million sales came from Japan. It doesn't help that many old fans will be aging out and taking up mobile gaming.

Red Red Blue posted:

I can't remember if it was Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs but didn't SE consider one of them a failure even though they sold somewhere around 3 million copies? Maybe they just have crazy expectations

All of the Eidos games except Deus Ex Human Revolution failed to meet expectations. The games were given extra development time after the Eidos acquisition so the company could establish itself as competitor in these new genres. In particular, Tomb Raider 2013 was rebooted two times and given the most lavish ad campaign in the company's history. Understandably, expectations were high.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
PSA: The flip side to SO5's great real-time cutscene technology is that you cannot skip them.

On the plus side, I found the map.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

PSA: The flip side to SO5's great real-time cutscene technology is that you cannot skip them.

Welcome to 2004, tri-ace.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Red Red Blue posted:

I can't remember if it was Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs but didn't SE consider one of them a failure even though they sold somewhere around 3 million copies? Maybe they just have crazy expectations

I recall it being both "not meeting expectations" when Tomb Raider had the best selling opening of any game in the entire history of the series by far.

It was a really embarrassingly blatant method of shifting blame away from the disastrous FF14 1.0 and the like.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Anyone have impressions of Nights of Azure yet? Was thinking of getting it down the line after I finish up Cyber Sleuth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've only played for a couple of hours but so far it's 'okay', there's quite a lot going on behind the scenes but unfortunately the combat is mostly just button mashing, so a lot rides on how much you like doing quests and levelling up, the art style, the (potentially) tragic sort-of-lesbian romance story, and the Castlevania meets KT butt rock soundtrack. And boobs I guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Motto posted:

Welcome to 2004, tri-ace.

You can't even skip or fast-forward. There's no such thing as "press O to continue" anywhere, for better and for worse. And I'm not sure it's even a technical thing, I think it's just being stubborn about their immersive aesthetic. When they say conversations happen in real time, you get loving real time. There are some other oddities like talking to NPCs taking the form of a background bubble, but as a result, to get into a store you have to talk to the store NPC and then wait for their bubble to time out.

Also I was early on impressed by the game giving you more control of Fidel than most JRPGs but it's all for show, the game will block you from taking certain exits or restrict you to a specific zone when an event is active and all that bullshit.

It's mostly an solid RPG (so far, I should say), and very majestic even though I'm poo poo at combat as usual - I just get the sense that SO5 is still sort of trying to feel this UX out.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 1, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I've only played for a couple of hours but so far it's 'okay', there's quite a lot going on behind the scenes but unfortunately the combat is mostly just button mashing, so a lot rides on how much you like doing quests and levelling up, the art style, the (potentially) tragic sort-of-lesbian romance story, and the Castlevania meets KT butt rock soundtrack. And boobs I guess.

but enough about final fantasy 15

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_AuOmqUn0

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can't deal with White Light because I like the song but every time I hear it I remember how excited I was in late 2014 and get sad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Caphi posted:

I can't deal with White Light because I like the song but every time I hear it I remember how excited I was in late 2014 and get sad.

i wanna be the mediocre jrpg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the best thing about Zesty. Well, the fire shrine music too

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
oh darn and i was just about to say that intro makes me interested in the game but

meh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

oh darn and i was just about to say that intro makes me interested in the game but

meh

it is a very good intro for a very bad game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't really think it was bad but meh is a pretty good description.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Caphi posted:

You can't even skip or fast-forward. There's no such thing as "press O to continue" anywhere, for better and for worse. And I'm not sure it's even a technical thing, I think it's just being stubborn about their immersive aesthetic. When they say conversations happen in real time, you get loving real time. There are some other oddities like talking to NPCs taking the form of a background bubble, but as a result, to get into a store you have to talk to the store NPC and then wait for their bubble to time out.

Also I was early on impressed by the game giving you more control of Fidel than most JRPGs but it's all for show, the game will block you from taking certain exits or restrict you to a specific zone when an event is active and all that bullshit.

It's mostly an solid RPG (so far, I should say), and very majestic even though I'm poo poo at combat as usual - I just get the sense that SO5 is still sort of trying to feel this UX out.
but is there space

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria has lots of good music that i enjoy listening to. i hope that go shiina is involved in berseria, so that we can possibly get a good tales game soundtrack, and also a good tales game at the same time this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Rascyc posted:

but is there space

it's a star ocean game

so no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXZjxtZy2s