Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, is hyper light drifter worth it? I'm looking for a reasonably difficult game.

I looked at this game like once or twice for a few years, so I already know what it is, but is it actually made well? is it hosed up like Slain! is? Are the controls good?

while it's not anywhere near as bad as slain!, it just wasn't any fun for me at all. it sounded like a game i'd enjoy too. really glad i didn't hear about it until last week so i'm not disappointed at how it turned out. the controls felt pretty bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I thought the controls for HLD were super slick. I'm pretty sure you're meant to dash all around the place and doing so felt very responsive.

I keep finding myself having to put it down and take a break because I'm getting pissed/flustered after dying like a dozen times in a row but I'll come back and destroy the room.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Alright so, as far as I know the Undertale thread exploded in some giant orgy of fanart. I bought the game a while ago and didn't even try it until this month. After playing it? I can see why people are heavily invested in a game like this.

Now buying this game drunk, 10% off at the winter sale, knowing full well of the overbearing praise, my plan was to kill everything I could see. With very little info, this led to the neutral ending, because in this game, I was operating under a JRPG without thinking of the spare option. after finishing the neutral ending, I feel weird.

Not like having a boner after seeing an animal cartoon as a kid weird mind you, In game terms I don't think I actually cared about a thing or character that hasn't existed like undertale did. I thought about what I did, and what I want to do next, even though I saw the end results by a youtuber that already did it for me.

basically what I'm trying to say is, this game is something else, and I don't know what to feel, which i guess is great, because the last game that actually played with my emotions was Bastion.

I'll admit right now, Undertale was absolutely worth my money, I would've paid twice the amount knowing what I was in for, and this is saying alot, considering the poor choices i have made in steam

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 1, 2016

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

What's a responsive, fun ARPG/MMO I can play while I listen to podcasts/audiobooks? Diablo 3 is pretty much the best thing I've found so far, but I've already done everything I wanted to do this season. I'm enjoying Grim Dawn, but it's just too clunky in comparison. Same goes for Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes. I think a nice grindy MMO could work, but the action in most MMOs just feel too slow for me.

Is there anything that matches what I'm looking for?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

space marine todd posted:

What's a responsive, fun ARPG/MMO I can play while I listen to podcasts/audiobooks? Diablo 3 is pretty much the best thing I've found so far, but I've already done everything I wanted to do this season. I'm enjoying Grim Dawn, but it's just too clunky in comparison. Same goes for Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes. I think a nice grindy MMO could work, but the action in most MMOs just feel too slow for me.

Is there anything that matches what I'm looking for?

ARPG recommendation: Torchlight 2

Usually pretty cheap, and on normal difficulty it can be pretty mindless, which I like about it. Just going around blowing up everything by smashing them with my fists, or shooting them, or whatever you wanna do.

MMO recommendation: Dungeon Fighter Online
Free to play, very user friendly, it's an RPG beat em up game and it is very fast paced and easy to pick up and play, and it has probably the least invasive microtransactions I've seen in a f2p korean mmo. For example, you can make a fuckton of characters (like, 16 maybe? 12? I forget, but definitely double digits) and you can respec your stats at any time without paying real world money, and there are a few other neat quality of life things that you would normally have to pay for in a f2p game but are freely available in DFO. Give it a shot if you like streets of rage or river city ransom or the Dungeons & Dragons beat em ups

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xander77 posted:

I kinda assumed that the multiplayer version would just have shitloads of orcs / "minions" for the players to work together against, with the other team running interference when not fighting off their own orc rushes. Instead, I'm pretty sure you get way less enemies than you would in a regular OMD wave. And even that is enough to make the game stutter.

Also, I realize that balancing traps in a way that would make them affect enemy players, rather than just pre-programmed AI minions is a bit of a pain, but just ignoring the issue altogether by making the traps completely irrelevant vs players is just a huge fumble. The combination of the two (and the relegation of traps to a few highly specific areas) means that you actually have less options, interaction and challenge re: orc and trap management than you would in either of the previous two OMD games.

You don't really interact with enemy players all that much either, as they're most just boosting their minions by standing beside them during attacks. You have three specializations - attacker and defender, which boost the relevant minion stats, and pillager. A pillager goes behind enemy lines to bust open random chests and vases, to get upgrade points for minions. That's how low-risk it is to just rush into the enemy base - there's a specialization for loving around while doing so. I got jumped by three players at once, got chain-stunlocked as all three hit me, and still turned around and ran away with half my hit points.

:cripes:

Pouring out a 40 for what was once a fun game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

space marine todd posted:

Diablo 3 is pretty much the best on the market in terms of mindless demon slaying, and there's a new season (patch) coming at the end of April. That being said, the most recent game I've played that captured the same feel of flashy effects + responsive combat is Lichdom: Battlemage, which is kind of like a twitchy Dark Messiah with lots of spells to explode dudes with. The main campaign is wayyyy too long and the storyline is pretty much incoherent, but if you want something just to zone out and slay monsters in all sorts of satisfying ways, then it's great. I still sometimes load it up to mess around in NG+ for an hour or so, and you can get it for under $10 in most places. They recently added a feature that lets you automate the entire crafting system if you don't care about being fancy and just want to kill things.

On another note, the new Tomb Raider is pretty much the best-looking game I've ever seen on PC and it runs so smooth on my system. I didn't know that I needed enhanced snow effects in my life, but I sincerely do. Traversing these glowing ice caverns summons up those same old feelings of looking at previews for Q3 Arena in Game Informer in 1999 and thinking that graphics will never look any better.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

On another note, the new Tomb Raider is pretty much the best-looking game I've ever seen on PC and it runs so smooth on my system. I didn't know that I needed enhanced snow effects in my life, but I sincerely do. Traversing these glowing ice caverns summons up those same old feelings of looking at previews for Q3 Arena in Game Informer in 1999 and thinking that graphics will never look any better.
Yeah, Tomb Raider is really good looking but to me Battlefront is the game that made me go 'woah' about graphics for the first time in years. Unfortunatelly I played it before TR as it has actually even better snow and ice effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGyaR2sSBkA

The ice caverns in it and volcanic planes are crazy gorgeous - it's a shame they didn't make a single-player FPS ala Dark Forces instead of a dying multiplayer game though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I played the Battlefront demo before I upgraded GPUs and was pretty impressed at how well it ran even on my old GTX 760. It's too bad the game itself didn't really stand out. I still give TR the edge because of dat glorious TressFX...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, is hyper light drifter worth it? I'm looking for a reasonably difficult game.

I looked at this game like once or twice for a few years, so I already know what it is, but is it actually made well? is it hosed up like Slain! is? Are the controls good?

This game doesn't have problems like Slain, the only "problem" is a subjective opinion whether the combat is enjoyable and whether you are willing to learn enemy and boss patterns until you get them right.

Nothing wrong with seeing yourself and refunding the game if you don't like it. Just get the dash upgrade first and learn to use it.

PS If you're coming from Dark Souls, then know the dash doesn't give you invincibility and doesn't allow you to pass through enemies. This is because the first upgrade gives you infinite dashing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I played the Battlefront demo before I upgraded GPUs and was pretty impressed at how well it ran even on my old GTX 760. It's too bad the game itself didn't really stand out. I still give TR the edge because of dat glorious TressFX...
Tomb Raider also has the advantage of letting you actually take in those graphics. In Battlefield when I'm being blown away by 10 different types of photorealistic ice some of which I haven't seen before and 5 different degrees of snow fluffiness I can only look at it so long before somebody shoots me in the head.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also tomb raider has more than four levels

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

exquisite tea posted:

I wrote a massive essay about this game being the sweetest thing since watching Robocop for the first time but I dropped the keyboard on the power supply and welp, post gone. Oh well, heres some screenshots I took for that post. It is so beautiful and I haven't seen any game with animations that come close.

I present, soft & lovely exhibit A:

Hard to get good screenshots in this game since there is no cinemantic camera or zoom function.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

corn in the bible posted:

also tomb raider has more than four levels
They actually fixed this since release and added free new maps and modes + first paid DLC and I'd call it a full release now. Too bad it's too little too late and one of the best selling games of 2015 has like 6k players on the PC, lol.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Meowbot posted:

I wrote a massive essay about this game being the sweetest thing since watching Robocop for the first time but I dropped the keyboard on the power supply and welp, post gone. Oh well, heres some screenshots I took for that post. It is so beautiful and I haven't seen any game with animations that come close.

I present, soft & lovely exhibit A:

Hard to get good screenshots in this game since there is no cinemantic camera or zoom function.

This is a coherent post. Did you forget your gimmick?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jordan7hm posted:

April fool's is the worst.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't be drunk all the time

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

I'LLL BE HE JUSGE KF THAT

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Jordan7hm posted:

He probably made this post with the wrong account.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sakurazuka posted:

Meowbot is so shitfaced that he is absolutely lucid.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I'm starting to worry that manga games are losing their nuances.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/OLsoJKo.jpg:nws:

https://www.indiegala.com/sexyfools?1342610041

Sorry!
\/\/\/

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 1, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:nws: that man...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jerusalem posted:

:cripes:

Pouring out a 40 for what was once a fun game.
Play the second game instead. It's regularly on sale for like 3$ and I could use someone to co-op with.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Maybe jizz and nipples are safe where he works.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Putting in a hard day at the tentacle factory

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Maybe he works for Tasty Shafts © a Limited Liability Company.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Scaramouche posted:

I did a bad thing and bought the divinity trilogy, mostly out of nostalgia for playing the first one on release day and being pleasantly surprised by it. We'll see if click happy arpgs have ruined my tolerance for its slow pace.

Well, Divinity 2 is awesome, if you can't get into original sin.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As previously threatened by the most recent Steam Registry leak, Code of Princess has been confirmed for an April release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIorfZ2s-aE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess it might be playable with a not awful framerate now. Maybe.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's basically been no duds from that leak huh? So we can assume FFX/X2 in the late summer? That is if FF9 ever comes out.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I would be amazed with FFX/2 didn't pop up on Steam within the next twelve months. Since they've already ported it to a compatible chipset, they'd just be leaving money on the table if they didn't. And if there's one thing Square hasn't been doing lately, it's leaving money on the table from low effort ports.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Tomb Raider also has the advantage of letting you actually take in those graphics. In Battlefield when I'm being blown away by 10 different types of photorealistic ice some of which I haven't seen before and 5 different degrees of snow fluffiness I can only look at it so long before somebody shoots me in the head.

I'm normally not a fan of open-world collectathons but all the little tucked away hidden tombs in the new TR had me wasting the last four hours just dicking around in the soviet base. I appreciate the upgrades to stealth combat and all the different weapon types now but I'd really rather there just be 20 different types of bow to choose from, because that's how I roll.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What is Code of Princess and why should I be interested in it?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I plan on grabbing the new Tomb Raider when it hits $30 somewhere. Will I hate myself for playing it on a GTX 660? The first one looked great with that card, and I imagine the sequel is optimized as well as the first. I'm waiting for the Pascal line of cards before upgrading again - the new tech sounds incredible. Though I'd rather not wait that long to play the new Tomb Raider.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HGH posted:

There's basically been no duds from that leak huh? So we can assume FFX/X2 in the late summer? That is if FF9 ever comes out.
Here's another solid copy from that leak for the walking simulator fans: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is confirmed to be coming reasonably soon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I plan on grabbing the new Tomb Raider when it hits $30 somewhere. Will I hate myself for playing it on a GTX 660? The first one looked great with that card, and I imagine the sequel is optimized as well as the first. I'm waiting for the Pascal line of cards before upgrading again - the new tech sounds incredible. Though I'd rather not wait that long to play the new Tomb Raider.

I'm not sure on how well it scales down for PC, but the new TR actually got an XB360 release also, and it looks drat good. So I think your chances are all right.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Here's another solid copy from that leak for the walking simulator fans: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is confirmed to be coming reasonably soon.

Weren't most people kind of lukewarm on it though? Even people who like other walking simulators and TCR's other games?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

People who really liked Walking Simulators(tm) loved it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harlock posted:

People who really liked Walking Simulators(tm) loved it.

It was decent. Slow-paced even by that genre's standards, but there were a lot of memorable moments for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The first thing I saw when I woke up this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

CDPR has a good sense of humor.

• Locked thread