Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Yeah, I should be clear that I don't mean to criticize the story - that the game doesn't waste my time overreaching and shoving clumsy paragraphs about the lore down my throat is very welcome, and allows the very strong visual storytelling to carry it all with a light touch. It's the same thing that worked in Fez. The story's familiarity becomes an asset when it's told this way.

And if the alien language turns out to be a real cipher, maybe there will be lore paragraphs for those interested in digging for 'em, hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I really like and also really hate this game. Love the style, the music, and when I clear a tough enemy encounter it's really satisfying. But I absolutely loathe the lovely checkpointing, where you can do a fight and then an instakill block puzzle, and dying on the blocks puts you back before the fight. I hate the instakill blocks in general. I don't like the way the mouse indicator has zero visibility in most fights, and I find a dodge move that moves you in the direction you're aiming frustrating sometimes. Most of all, I hate the seconds-long respawn animation that plays after every single death.

Right now I'm trying to work out why the chain dodge seems to work for me roughly one time in three. It's just double tapping space, right? Am I missing something here?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ You need to time your chain dash. The timing is just as you're winding down from the first dash, and then it gets faster once you get chaindashing. You can never just mash it out.

Hey, I beat the game! It was just a tad bit shorter than I would have wanted, and the last boss was probably easier than some of the other poo poo you have to go through, but overall super fun game! And I still have a ton of secrets to uncover judging from some of the black bars being thrown around here.

My other complaint besides the shortness is the football minigame. I spent like thirty minutes on beating that bullshit cheating son of a bitch AI and I get nothing for it? :argh:

Actually, does anyone know if you need to beat it by a certain score threshold or something? Seems like there should be something at stake there.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 1, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It's not just double tapping, you have to press dash again at the end of the previous one with the right timing, you can actually go theoretically forever if you've got the timing on the chain dash right.

Amppelix posted:

My other complaint besides the shortness is the football minigame. I spent like thirty minutes on beating that bullshit cheating son of a bitch AI and I get nothing for it? :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

flatluigi posted:

I found some things that look like they have Fez style secret language stuff on them, has anyone made headway on that?

Ther's been some progress but it's not complete yet:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/257850/discussions/0/365163537818966507/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Only been able to play about 45 minutes so far but I already like HLD a lot. The combat feels quick and brutal, I like the wind-down time after slashes because it makes you think your moves out a bit more. People have been comparing it to Dark Souls and I hate to make the laziest of gaming comparisons in that way, but the combat does encourage you to prioritize and isolate enemies in a similar way.

Actually kind of reminds me of Transistor aesthetically only with combat that doesn't suck rear end.

edit: Oh and yeah the moving blocks are stupid and are visually represented in a really confusing and obnoxious way. Game would be better without them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

Yeah, I should be clear that I don't mean to criticize the story - that the game doesn't waste my time overreaching and shoving clumsy paragraphs about the lore down my throat is very welcome, and allows the very strong visual storytelling to carry it all with a light touch. It's the same thing that worked in Fez. The story's familiarity becomes an asset when it's told this way.

And if the alien language turns out to be a real cipher, maybe there will be lore paragraphs for those interested in digging for 'em, hey

Oh yeah, for sure. That's the kind of thing I've started to really love in games, that atmospheric, visual storytelling. I've been disappointed by enough games that try to have complex plots that it's refreshing when all that is thrown aside for pure style.

I've also decided that I need to run a tabletop game in a setting exactly like this, because it's really hitting all of my buttons, but I have no idea what system to use or if I should try to make my own amateurish Blades in the Dark hack for it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh yeah, having beaten the game I can tell you what NG+ means:

It's not actually a souls-style carryover NG+, rather it's a challenge mode that you can just access after beating the game once. It makes the following modifications to the base game:
  • You start with all of the movement and combat upgrades
  • Your max health is 2
  • You skip the tutorial area
  • Your cloak is black

That's all, as far as I could determine. I would be surprised if it changed anything else further into the game but I suppose it's possible. I might never see any such modifications even if they exist though because Jesus Christ, 2 health?

On the other hand I'm really looking forward to NG+ speedruns chain dashing everywhere though.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah, having beaten the game I can tell you what NG+ means:

It's not actually a souls-style carryover NG+, rather it's a challenge mode that you can just access after beating the game once. It makes the following modifications to the base game:
  • You start with all of the movement and combat upgrades
  • Your max health is 2
  • You skip the tutorial area
  • Your cloak is black

That's all, as far as I could determine. I would be surprised if it changed anything else further into the game but I suppose it's possible. I might never see any such modifications even if they exist though because Jesus Christ, 2 health?

On the other hand I'm really looking forward to NG+ speedruns chain dashing everywhere though.

I'm game for this

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I cannot for the life of me find the last piece of the square in the west zone, loads of keys I missed the last time I did a sweep of this place, though.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Ok someone please explain how the upgrade to dodge into bullets works? I feel like it only works half the time and it ends up killing me when i'm expecting to negate a projectile.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
It depletes the white bar above your health for each bullet absorbed and when that bar runs out it stops absorbing bullets. Also I think it stops doing it near the end of the dash?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Pretty sure you also have to be near a projectile when you start dashing or it just doesn't work at all.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

http://www.welovefine.com/hyper-light-drifter-plush-11259.html

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Einwand posted:

Pretty sure you also have to be near a projectile when you start dashing or it just doesn't work at all.

I tested this out and yeah, it does seem to be the case.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Found all the door pieces in the south area, after a neat combat section I got the final gun. It's a supercharged laser gun, no piercing but it does at least 5 damage per shot with 3 shots at max charge&upgraded. Goodbye shotgun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This game looks absolutely beautiful and I'll probably pick it up on PS4, but man I just know I'm gonna be endlessly terrible at it.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Augh I give up I've been looking for hours, where is the key piece directly above the teleporter in the west crystal forest? Is it underground?! I've done that big loop like 5 times looking for it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any particular upgrades to prioritize to be able to get secret items?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

flatluigi posted:

Any particular upgrades to prioritize to be able to get secret items?
Only upgrade that's required for any side area stuff is the chain dash, everything else is theoretically not needed, though the dash into bullets ability is really good too, same with the sword charge.

bog savant posted:

Augh I give up I've been looking for hours, where is the key piece directly above the teleporter in the west crystal forest? Is it underground?! I've done that big loop like 5 times looking for it.
How are people knowing exactly what they're missing and what general area? I've gotten all but one key and the square door in the forest and haven't found anything that shows me that sort of info.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 1, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

bog savant posted:

I know where it is but I haven't yet gone back to look for a way to it:

In the area with the crushing blocks and lots and lots of doors, you know how you can go right at the start and it shows you 3 rooms with a healthpack in one of them? You can visit those rooms by going through the entire rest of the area and again going right. Except wait! The rooms don't match up! There's a hidden middle platform with the triangle on it (and the actual three-room layout that you can see from below), but you can't get there just by dashing from either side. Like I said, I haven't figured it out yet. You probably have to shoot something.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I kickstarted this game, and am greatly looking forward to the release on the Xbox One.

Looks like lots of fun!

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Two questions:

1. I've reached the area of the North boss, but there are red blocks blocking my way. There's also slightly different red blocks blocking the way in that dimly lit passageway earlier in the northern level that has a fragment going by the map. How do I bypass these?

2. Once you have the multi-dash upgrade, is it possible to dash again in mid-air or only while grounded? There are a few secrets that are just out of reach and I haven't noticed another path to them.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Finally found the last door piece in the west zone, it was in an area I went through multiple times but it was hidden in a secret within a secret at the end, irritating.

Metal Meltdown posted:

Two questions:

1. I've reached the area of the North boss, but there are red blocks blocking my way. There's also slightly different red blocks blocking the way in that dimly lit passageway earlier in the northern level that has a fragment going by the map. How do I bypass these?

2. Once you have the multi-dash upgrade, is it possible to dash again in mid-air or only while grounded? There are a few secrets that are just out of reach and I haven't noticed another path to them.

Multidash is on the ground only, odds are if you haven't found a path to it, it's either related to shooting something that you can barely see from a certain angle or invisible blocks that basically require you to walk along every suspicious ledge in case you get a ? over you which lets you mark them.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can you post your map for the South zone? I'm legitimately stumped as to where to look for the last two pieces.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If anyone is having difficulty on a boss, warp out and collect currency in the other levels. I was having problems beating bosses, but after getting the chain dash and charge swing, the game is much easier.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
Are the red squares requirement for some of the doors with keys on them referring to the tablets hidden around?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Funkameleon posted:

Are the red squares requirement for some of the doors with keys on them referring to the tablets hidden around?

No, you will find actual keys, they are pretty well hidden.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

http://imgur.com/X2HPfV0 The last south piece has to be in this room, right? It's way bigger on the map than it appears going through it. But I have no earthly idea what I'm looking for.

edit: nevermind I found it.

Only missing two tablets and 4 keys now, couldn't find a tablet in the square door area for the South zone. Here's the tablets I have: http://i.imgur.com/J3A1HyQ.png

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 1, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I love sword projectile reflection. It makes quick work of some enemies that shoot rapidly. :allears:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zaggitz posted:

http://imgur.com/X2HPfV0 The last south piece has to be in this room, right? It's way bigger on the map than it appears going through it. But I have no earthly idea what I'm looking for.

edit: nevermind I found it.

Only missing two tablets and 4 keys now, couldn't find a tablet in the square door area for the South zone. Here's the tablets I have: http://i.imgur.com/J3A1HyQ.png

Huh, I haven't been tracking them precisely but I know for a fact the tablets you're missing must be either North or East, because I had those before I even started exploring West.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can anyone confirm if beating the final boss immediately leads to new game plus or if I can try him out to see the ending? I only have a few more things to collect but I'm very curious about the ending also.

NO BEN
Jul 27, 2007
I met an NPC and he gave me an item. A game prompt popped up, saying to swap items in town. I'm a blind idiot and have no idea how to do this, can anyone help me out?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Man what is the point of putting a game on PC if you're not going to TRY and make the controls work on a mouse and keyboard. Beautiful art, atmosphere, and design though. v:v:v

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

NO BEN posted:

I met an NPC and he gave me an item. A game prompt popped up, saying to swap items in town. I'm a blind idiot and have no idea how to do this, can anyone help me out?

if it's a costume, go back to the house you woke up in and fiddle with the closets there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So I've got one crystal left on my map to get to, presumably, the first boss. It's in a dark cave, but my way is blocked by a door with two symbols on it. Am I missing something here? I can't figure out how to get past the door.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PantsBandit posted:

So I've got one crystal left on my map to get to, presumably, the first boss. It's in a dark cave, but my way is blocked by a door with two symbols on it. Am I missing something here? I can't figure out how to get past the door.

You can get to the boss with just three crystals, beating him unlocks that room.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

You can get to the boss with just three crystals, beating him unlocks that room.

oh...ok. That seems like an odd design choice to give you 3 out of 4 pieces of what is pretty obviously supposed to be a key of some kind but then make it so you only need the first 3.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PantsBandit posted:

oh...ok. That seems like an odd design choice to give you 3 out of 4 pieces of what is pretty obviously supposed to be a key of some kind but then make it so you only need the first 3.

they keys are needed for the endgame, not the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

follow up then, now that I've got the 3 pieces how do I get the boss door to open?

nm I found the door

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 1, 2016

• Locked thread