Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

vesperia feels complete despite the whole ps3 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

He's not even the best Yuri-named jrpg protagonist, with Yuri from Shadow Hearts around :colbert:

I've only played about two hours of the first Shadow Hearts but Yuri did seem pretty cool, I should remedy that after I'm done with Fates.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh I forgot about graces

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

which one has the best combat system

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kild posted:

graces, still

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

He's not even the best Yuri-named jrpg protagonist, with Yuri from Shadow Hearts around :colbert:

Excuse me, I think you'll find his true name, unsullied by LOCALIZATION, is Urmnaf Bort Hyuga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

graces, rebirth, xillia 2 in that order imo

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just curious, what content from Xillia 1 that was cut ended up in Xillia 2?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find his true name, unsullied by LOCALIZATION, is Urmnaf Bort Hyuga

his name is bort?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sylphid posted:

I think it's partially the expanded areas of Elympios and I think they basically wanted to do something more with Xillia 1's ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sylphid posted:

gaius and muzet as party members, elympios in its entirety, some of the backstory stuff for the xillia 1 cast that you see in the alt. dimensions.

having gaius and muzet as the final bosses of 1 wasn't the original plan. the original plan for the final boss probably had to do with the stuff about maxwell you learn in milla's character quests in 2. more than likely gaius and muzet would have joined for the last couple of dungeons where you defeat maxwell or something.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

graces, rebirth, xillia 2 in that order imo

Haven't played rebirth, but I agree with the other two

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

Haven't played rebirth, but I agree with the other two

you can bounce on enemies in rebirth

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

gaius and muzet as party members, elympios in its entirety, some of the backstory stuff for the xillia 1 cast that you see in the alt. dimensions.

having gaius and muzet as the final bosses of 1 wasn't the original plan. the original plan for the final boss probably had to do with the stuff about maxwell you learn in milla's character quests in 2. more than likely gaius and muzet would have joined for the last couple of dungeons where you defeat maxwell or something.

Huh. Muzet was really the only character I felt should have been in the party but wasn't, and Gaius always gave me "Final boss" vibes right from the OP.

And the first game was long enough that maybe that extra stuff added on would have made the game feel bloated, but I can certainly understand wanting to make a second game with a new plot if they had to cut so much out of their vision for the first game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i quit eliked the hearts r combat once i got over the dodgy controls on the pstv

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

his name is bort?

My son's name is also Bort, yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
still pales before the cuts made to zest

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

still pales before the cuts made to zest

Clearly I should start following Tales games earlier in production because I have no idea at all what was cut from Zesty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Clearly I should start following Tales games earlier in production because I have no idea at all what was cut from Zesty.
Who knows, but a lot of things. If you ever replay Zestiria, look at the cutscenes for the first ten hours or so. Everything is super janky and the cuts are all over the place in a way that suggests they were slapped together to try and piece some sort of first act together out of the scattered pieces of what was either a full alisha route or a very different plot that got left on the cutting room floor. My personal favorite is the fact that the war scenes flip between day, afternoon, and night about 6 times with no transition to imply time passing.

Once Rose joins, the game's plot suddenly feels a lot more cohesive and the cutscenes actually function like they should, and they even have little side gags and details that suggest actual time was put into them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Who knows, but a lot of things. If you ever replay Zestiria, look at the cutscenes for the first ten hours or so. Everything is super janky and the cuts are all over the place in a way that suggests they were slapped together to try and piece some sort of first act together out of the scattered pieces of what was either a full alisha route or a very different plot that got left on the cutting room floor. My personal favorite is the fact that the war scenes flip between day, afternoon, and night about 6 times with no transition to imply time passing.

Once Rose joins, the game's plot suddenly feels a lot more cohesive and the cutscenes actually function like they should, and they even have little side gags and details that suggest actual time was put into them.

On the other hand, all those Hard Choices the game kept presenting as a feature dry up instantly when you get to the first war segment. The only one left is the sidequest in Ladylake, I think.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did literally any of the choices matter

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Davincie posted:

Giving the Pipe iirc is the only way you get one of the hats. Which is important for the Dezel Hat Stacking Minigame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

the dagger/pipe thing with rose kind of balloons out into a couple of mini sidequests. that's about it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It is also super weird that the Dagger is the only time using Key items for whatever comes up ever again

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i got a package in the mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgqo6jCRTog

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

this song is far worse than pursuing my true self

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

the dagger/pipe thing with rose kind of balloons out into a couple of mini sidequests. that's about it.

I'm pretty sure the "original" plot was about the struggle to maintain hope ("zest") amid cynics and push on to "light the world". You can see it coming together in a lot of the early briefs. There's an entire segment in Ladylake that invites Sorey to sell out; this also comes back when he's forced to go to war. Alisha's is "only one with faith with a corrupt establishment working against her" and her nemesis is the Council or whatever represented by Bartlowe, also an early reveal who vanishes from the game after the first war. Lucas also probably fits into this in some way but I'm not 100% sure how it would have gone.

The choices were part of that - I don't know if they were going to affect the broader plot (probably not?) but I think they represented Sorey being forced to make sacrifices between doing his job, following his heart, and making people happy. I think, if there was an "original" Zesty, he still sacrificed himself at the end of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

this song is far worse than pursuing my true self

i agree. the opening itself is also worse and looks a lot cheaper too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im more chuffed about being able to record things over hdmi now

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Davincie posted:

Choices don't need to have an actual in game effect to be an important tool in video game storytelling.

(Please note that this post is not intended to imply any kind of judgement with regards to the quality of the specific execution found in Tales of Zestiria.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wateyad posted:

Choices don't need to have an actual in game effect to be an important tool in video game storytelling.

(Please note that this post is not intended to imply any kind of judgement with regards to the quality of the specific execution found in Tales of Zestiria.)

Agree on both counts.

Speaking of bogus choices, the not-quite-freedom in SO5 is getting to me. It's the same cutscenes only they start without warning, you can't fast-show any lines, and they put arbitrary borders up so they can let you walk slowly around in it. Either you can't leave until the lines are over, or you can but you shouldn't because changing areas or starting combat will interrupt the scene!

I went into a building and took a side path to snag some chests, and the scene area stopped like a foot in front of the chests and I hadn't actually triggered the scene yet. It's not the first time in the game something was just outside a radius that something was about to happen in, either.

It's like Zestiria, a really nice idea with a hundred tiny, infuriating shortcomings in execution, and Zestiria, if nothing else, at least had its cutscenes on straight when it bothered to do them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

has so5 been review bombed on amazon.co.jp yet for nerfing clothes?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Does the sun rise over Japan?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

2.5 stars with 188 reviews. the distribution is actually pretty even though, lots of 2s and 3s

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cake Attack posted:

2.5 stars with 188 reviews. the distribution is actually pretty even though, lots of 2s and 3s

Dunno if I'd go that far. So far it feels more ambitious beyond its means than like anything is particularly hosed about it. Though the combat is... there are, again, a lot of little annoying things about it, but one big one is this is the second action RPG I've played in as many years where they set you up with a move rock-paper-scissors system and then put you up against enemy groups and it never seems to go well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Caphi posted:

Dunno if I'd go that far. So far it feels more ambitious beyond its means than like anything is particularly hosed about it. Though the combat is... there are, again, a lot of little annoying things about it, but one big one is this is the second RPG I've played in as many years where they set you up with a move rock-paper-scissors system and then put you up against enemy groups and it never seems to go well.

Keep in mind that amazon.co.jp isn't a good place for actual reviews, especially since nerds were up in arms because a bit of clothing got changed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do you have 7 party members yet?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tae posted:

Do you have 7 party members yet?

I had 7 extremely briefly. I'm back to 6.

The problem is Anne and Emerson joined pretty recently, and Victor has been gone for most of that. There is a segment where you get Victor and three of his soldiers that are clearly substitutes for Emerson, Anne, and Fiore, but this is before you have Riria.

Frankly, I think combat was a bit of a clusterfuck by 4. The camera isn't as offensive as Zestiria, to be sure, but it's too low to the ground by default and it's easy (for me at least) to lose track of things between some large enemies and increasingly impressive spell effects. More targets also makes it really hard to get whatever Reserve Gauge you get for guarding attacks, which is enough of a pain just by default. (Also, I have had limited combat in enclosed spaces, and I have a feeling encounter zones will continue to be relatively open, since encounters are fixed instead of wandering.)

Also the entire short/long basic attack system feels like playing the original Tales of Phantasia, and while I still love Phantasia, it's definitely not for that part of it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i didn't realize Go Shiina was such a handsome man

he doesn't get enough work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

has so5 been review bombed on amazon.co.jp yet for nerfing clothes?
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/716350772770766848

Of course while amazonjp reviews are never to be taken seriously, even importers and summary sites seem to not be liking it much.