Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

ashton may have superior dps but opera is a babe

are you suggesting that ashton isn't hot af

because that's what it sounds like you're suggesting, and that's a sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean Ashton does have two fire breathing dragons growing out of him so like

that's probably going to raise his internal temperature significantly.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Two things:

If you play SO5 like me, you will pause and try to have someone use an item on someone. You will select someone, select an item, and then select a target. And then you will find out that in the first step, you didn't select someone to use an item, you did an actual Character Change.

Also, I made it to space.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So far in BOF3 I haven't bothered too much with dragon forms, because Ryu is my best healer and in general it just seems like his AP is too much of a premium. I'm assuming that at a certain point I will be forced to take a better look at using them but by then I'll have a ton more genes and combinations and don't think I would know where to start. Are there any quick hits for forms or combos that I should keep in mind for various situations?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Caphi posted:

Two things:

If you play SO5 like me, you will pause and try to have someone use an item on someone. You will select someone, select an item, and then select a target. And then you will find out that in the first step, you didn't select someone to use an item, you did an actual Character Change.

Also, I made it to space.

let me know when your spaceship crashlands onto another underdeveloped planet

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

voltcatfish posted:

let me know when your spaceship crashlands onto another underdeveloped planet

Alternatively, see if you end up going to another dimension to meet and/or kill God.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

So far in BOF3 I haven't bothered too much with dragon forms, because Ryu is my best healer and in general it just seems like his AP is too much of a premium. I'm assuming that at a certain point I will be forced to take a better look at using them but by then I'll have a ton more genes and combinations and don't think I would know where to start. Are there any quick hits for forms or combos that I should keep in mind for various situations?

Force + Thorn + Gross is the boss killer. It boosts your speed and attack through the roof and also gives focus (self buff to your next physical attack, stacks twice) and Aura (the best physical attack). Infinity + Radiance + Trance costs too drat much but gives strong all around boosts and some nice extras. Fusion + Force with Rei and either Momo or Nina in the party is another fast boss killer.

Shadow + Trance is a cheap way to deal with annoying random battles. It's immune to status effects and covers for your other 2 party members but doesn't really have the single target umph for bosses.
Miracle + ???? (that's literally the name of the gene) is an alternate boss killer, a big fat bastard that yields super powered breath attacks.

Pre-timeskip most anything + defender or defender + thorn will give you some strong breath attacks.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 3, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alternatively, see if you end up going to another dimension to meet and/or kill God.
Crash-land your spaceship on an undeveloped planet in another dimension, on top of God.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caphi posted:

• Death to MP.

Just be glad you aren't playing SO3 where physical skills cost HP and you could die from MP loss.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wateyad posted:

Just be glad you aren't playing SO3 where physical skills cost HP and you could die from MP loss.

I didn't know this cause I never used mages...what is the point of an mp bar if it functions the same as HP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it doesn't function the same as hp in the sense that enemies hitting you doesn't reduce it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

it doesn't function the same as hp in the sense that enemies hitting you doesn't reduce it

didnt a fair amount of enemies attack mp, or am i remembering wrong?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember Nel being busted because her boomerang did the most MP damage and that was much easier to kill bosses later on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I recall Maria having a giant laser that did both HP and MP damage. Most enemies died from MP damage first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The mid-game memories of SO3 was basically just Sidekick/Boomerang/Laser cancel to 300%. I think I used Mirage late game because Mirage is awesome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least SO5 looks nice I guess, I'm sick of playing JRPG's that look like PS2 games upscaled to PS3 games upscaled to PS4 games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

At least SO5 looks nice I guess, I'm sick of playing JRPG's that look like PS2 games upscaled to PS3 games upscaled to PS4 games.

For seriously, Final Fantasy was the last bastion of "pretty JRPGs" 'cause the mainstream audience stopped cashing in and the budgets had to shrink. Even Persona games look pretty low-grade compared to any other major seller.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

persona has always gotten by on style rather than sheer graphical power

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My honest opinion, I'm excited for FF15 mostly because it's such a gorgeous, modern game that goes for it. By modern, I mean modern setting.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

persona 5 looks freaking excellent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want FF XV to be super popular so maybe other JRPG's get proper budgets, though that probably wouldn't happen even if it was.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'd rather they not. I don't want every game to take 10 years and require 10,000,000 sales to be a success.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think FF's popularity really does anything for the rest of the genre.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Big budget isn't a jrpg problem, most companies won't make a game anywhere close to FF15's size unless they're willing to dedicate 5+ years of development. There's too much lost cost.

Clarste posted:

I'd rather they not. I don't want every game to take 10 years and require 10,000,000 sales to be a success.

That quote was a mistranslation

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tae posted:

My honest opinion, I'm excited for FF15 mostly because it's such a gorgeous, modern game that goes for it. By modern, I mean modern setting.
Yeah, an RPG where you go take a car and go on a road strip and buy food at convenience stores and camp out using Coleman® brand camping gear is... very different and I hope it turns out good.

EDIT: Also comes out on PC I forget if it's doing that or not.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tales of the abyss combat feels really lovely. like you took SO2s and then made it so you had to hold L2 the whole time and the AI seems worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

tales of the abyss combat feels really lovely. like you took SO2s and then made it so you had to hold L2 the whole time and the AI seems worse.
wait, are you freerunning all the time? You aren't supposed to.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

I don't think FF's popularity really does anything for the rest of the genre.

yeah, the absolute most you could get is something like SO5 where a company with money decides to bankroll a console title because they think there might be money there, it's not like falcom is suddenly going to have an extra million to throw into development because XV sold well

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Also comes out on PC I forget if it's doing that or not.

They're focusing on the console optimization first, but they know everyone wants a PC version and Type-0 got a staggered PC release.

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, the absolute most you could get is something like SO5 where a company with money decides to bankroll a console title because they think there might be money there, it's not like falcom is suddenly going to have an extra million to throw into development because XV sold well

Falcom, the former pc company, should probably put Cold Trails on steam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything, if ff starts doing super well and pumping out super popular, big budget games, they'd muscle out some of the tiny JRPG developers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jrpgs will be the new call of duty

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it'd be that extreme, I just think that a lot of FF's audience is people who mainly play whatever heavily marketed AAA titles come out rather than being dedicated fans of any particular genre. And that's not a dig at "casuals" or whatever, it's just fact that most people who play games aren't the sort to browse enthusiast sites long enough to know that companies like Falcom even exist.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Davincie posted:

jrpgs will be the new call of duty

And they'll all have seamless transitions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey if unskippable cutscenes you walked around in were good enough for Half-Life 2 they're good enough for anything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

wait, are you freerunning all the time? You aren't supposed to.

No but you should be able to. It makes it play bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

if anything, if ff starts doing super well and pumping out super popular, big budget games, they'd muscle out some of the tiny JRPG developers.

At least they'll be down to two overambitious projects once FFXV's out the door, and they'll be on the same engine to save time. Well FFVII will at least.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

I'll always be there for Gust :unsmith:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least they'll be down to two overambitious projects once FFXV's out the door, and they'll be on the same engine to save time. Well FFVII will at least.

Two? VIIR and what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

Two? VIIR and what else?

kh3 i assume