Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

No but you should be able to. It makes it play bad
not really? freerunning all the time isn't the point of the tales battle system, it isn't built for that. it plays well because you're mostly running forward and back from the target. it lets you quickly dodge with a couple of buttons and means you aren't constantly futzing with position and can just focus on attack and defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's been a long time coming, but I wouldn't call KH3 overambitious. It looks pretty much the same as KH2/BBS/3D but with larger areas and prettier graphics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Motto posted:

Two? VIIR and what else?

Kingdom Hearts 3 is not out yet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

I didn't know this cause I never used mages...what is the point of an mp bar if it functions the same as HP

It doesn't serve the same function. HP is for casting attack techs :downs:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
persona 5 haunts me

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Kild posted:

Every full 3D Tales of game excpet Graces, Zestiria and maybe the Xillias would be massively improved by removing the z-axis from the battle system. Jamming sidescrolling combat into a full 3D environment like that is weird and awkward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

That's been a long time coming, but I wouldn't call KH3 overambitious. It looks pretty much the same as KH2/BBS/3D but with larger areas and prettier graphics.

Sure, but it'd been mumbling along unseen almost as long as FFXV has and it's a very pretty game with big open maps. That takes a fair bit of time and money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, but it'd been mumbling along unseen almost as long as FFXV has and it's a very pretty game with big open maps. That takes a fair bit of time and money.

KH3 wasn't announced for quite some time and they were releasing other KH games in the meantime. It isn't really a FFXV situation and in fact they originally stated they weren't going to work on KH3 until FFXIIIV is done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

From what I heard, developing for KH3 is a bigger peak nightmare than FF15 because you have to relay every single Disney reference back to Disney and wait on your hands.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

From what I heard, developing for KH3 is a bigger peak nightmare than FF15 because you have to relay every single Disney reference back to Disney and wait on your hands.
Doesn't seem to be slowing down the Lego folks?

Geez it just hit me that the new KH game is probably trying to fit Star Wars in, aren't they?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wateyad posted:

Every full 3D Tales of game excpet Graces, Zestiria and maybe the Xillias would be massively improved by removing the z-axis from the battle system. Jamming sidescrolling combat into a full 3D environment like that is weird and awkward.

Ideally you'd make all your attacks not basically side-scrolling, which is what they've been trying to do. The game still has to aim for you, but that problem is old enough that the first thing 3D Zelda did was add a lock-on feature.

Berseria might play more like a brawler - the first thing someone said to me when the camera controls got revealed was "oh, just like a Warriors game."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

The lego games are on a much, much smaller scope and scale than any KH game. The Little Mermaid musical bit probably took a longer meeting than an entire lego Star Wars game in what's legal to do and not.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rascyc posted:

Geez it just hit me that the new KH game is probably trying to fit Star Wars in, aren't they?

No language barrier.

Though I've always wondered how Disney's main branch views the Kingdom Hearts games. They are products plastered with Disney brands all across the board, but Disney really has no real hand in their creation. I wonder if they even care that much about it overall?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

The lego games are on a much, much smaller scope and scale than any KH game. The Little Mermaid musical bit probably took a longer meeting than an entire lego Star Wars game in what's legal to do and not.

Plus aren't the Lego games fairly accurate depictions of the source material, visual liberties notwithstanding? I imagine that's a lot easier to greenlight than Okay Imagine Simba, And Now Imagine My Chemical Romance, And Now Put Them Together

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The basic problems with Disney license is that you have to design it in a way that props up the material when it's interacting with non-Disney stuff. Okay, Ursala is evil but they want it this level of evil and not whatever Nomura wants it, etc. They've been side-stepping this issue by making the worlds more isolated recently, but going back to KH 1-2 where there's more blending is a bigger deal.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

not really? freerunning all the time isn't the point of the tales battle system, it isn't built for that. it plays well because you're mostly running forward and back from the target. it lets you quickly dodge with a couple of buttons and means you aren't constantly futzing with position and can just focus on attack and defense.

I'm still a novice but I ahve a hard time seeing how you can always dodge when theres a clusterfuck of 6 or so enemies doing wahtever they want. Plus the AI just feeding to them enemies.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caphi posted:

Ideally you'd make all your attacks not basically side-scrolling, which is what they've been trying to do. The game still has to aim for you, but that problem is old enough that the first thing 3D Zelda did was add a lock-on feature.

I thought the implication was clear in my post that the games I listed weren't just sidescrolling combat jammed into 3D?

quote:

Berseria might play more like a brawler - the first thing someone said to me when the camera controls got revealed was "oh, just like a Warriors game."

It'll play about as much like Graces and Zestiria as they play like each other but maybe (hopefully) you'll be able to free aim attacks.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wateyad posted:

I thought the implication was clear in my post that the games I listed weren't just sidescrolling combat jammed into 3D?

Yeah I was agreeing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of KH and XV, does anybody else find the level of vitriol leveled towards Nomura really strange? Animosity directed at developers usually is, but beyond the KH series he's only been involved in a few games in a capacity beyond character or graphic design, yet people tend to point to him (after Toriyama these days) when they want to blame somebody for FF going to pot in their eyes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Motto posted:

Speaking of KH and XV, does anybody else find the level of vitriol leveled towards Nomura really strange? Animosity directed at developers usually is, but beyond the KH series he's only been involved in a few games in a capacity beyond character or graphic design, yet people tend to point to him (after Toriyama these days) when they want to blame somebody for FF going to pot in their eyes.

People really wanted to blame someone for FFVIII is my guess

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

IIRC he was basically just the face of the company and his character designs were the leading designs for all the crop of garbage games coming out; Dirge of Cerberus being probably the worst of the lot. So he basically just became the scapegoat for everything people hated about post-merger Squaresoft.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wateyad posted:

It'll play about as much like Graces and Zestiria as they play like each other but maybe (hopefully) you'll be able to free aim attacks.

Probably not, I suspect. I don't think Tales is going to make the kind of attacks that make this work and I'm almost sure that, at least, Berseria is not already doing that.

I think even if you take side-scrolling out of the picture, which you should, Endorph is fundamentally right. Tales isn't going to make players precisely aim themselves in 360 degrees, that's not its style. Tales doesn't even make players aim themselves vertically in the 2D games with aerial bits.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kild posted:

You're wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wateyad posted:

no!!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

I'm still a novice but I ahve a hard time seeing how you can always dodge when theres a clusterfuck of 6 or so enemies doing wahtever they want. Plus the AI just feeding to them enemies.
backstep

and the ai is decent at not dying. what difficulty are you on?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wateyad posted:

I'd go one step further and say that they'd be better graphically if they'd never left 2-D sprites.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caphi posted:

Probably not, I suspect. I don't think Tales is going to make the kind of attacks that make this work and I'm almost sure that, at least, Berseria is not already doing that.

I think even if you take side-scrolling out of the picture, which you should, Endorph is fundamentally right. Tales isn't going to make players precisely aim themselves in 360 degrees, that's not its style. Tales doesn't even make players aim themselves vertically in the 2D games with aerial bits.

What if pressing an attack button while the stick is neutral aims towards your target but pressing while holding a direction maintains the direction? There's kind of not really a good reason for what they've done to attack mapping if you can't free aim attacks. Honestly most of the attacks in Graces and Zestiria have forgiving enough hitboxes that full free aim wouldn't be awful in those contexts anyway. Not to mention there'd probably be some amount of autocorrect like how other modern fast paced technical action games work when you aren't locked on (if they have a lock on at all).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*looking at the greatest combat systems ever put into a video game*

hm. what if we made this suck instead? i think it's worth considering.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Vesperia had multiple solo battles against groups of assassins and they were unbearable bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Vesperia had multiple solo battles against groups of assassins and they were unbearable bullshit.
yeah, vesperia sucked.

mostly just cause every single character had so much attack delay that you could do your taxes and map out a shipping chart in the time it takes yuri to recover from his basic combo

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

Basically, don't gently caress with Tales games please

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah, vesperia sucked.

mostly just cause every single character had so much attack delay that you could do your taxes and map out a shipping chart in the time it takes yuri to recover from his basic combo

I've only been able to play a little of Vesperia since I don't own a 360, so it's nice to know that thinking Yuri was kind of a slug wasn't just me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Verranicus posted:

Basically, don't gently caress with Tales games please

I agree, Tales should still play like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfbbuDA-nOQ&t=6s

wateyad posted:

What if pressing an attack button while the stick is neutral aims towards your target but pressing while holding a direction maintains the direction? There's kind of not really a good reason for what they've done to attack mapping if you can't free aim attacks. Honestly most of the attacks in Graces and Zestiria have forgiving enough hitboxes that full free aim wouldn't be awful in those contexts anyway. Not to mention there'd probably be some amount of autocorrect like how other modern fast paced technical action games work when you aren't locked on (if they have a lock on at all).

Graces and Zestiria still have the quick, pointed combo openers on the 1 and 2 columns and all indications suggest Berseria has artes that fill the same role (Velvet's Swallow Dance is basically Tiger Foot and Tiger Blade was a forward 2-arte in Zestiria).

Also I think the big attacks there have arcs but are still basically centered or else have a follow component like Heaven's Wrath or Searing Gale.

e: projectiles won't work in 3D Tales without auto aim, definitely. There's no full Demon Fang as far as anyone knows but Velvet has that "throw a wheel of fire" arte too.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm having a decent time with SO5 at about 2 or 3 hours in. Combat is a little simplistic I guess, but it seems about on par with a lot of other action-jrpgs I've played.

I played and enjoyed SO4 though so maybe my brain is broken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's mine

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Judith and Yuri OTP

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

As someone who historically couldn't stand Nomura and has been posting about it for over a decade, I can tell you it started in heavily around when FFX was in development and FF8 was a recent memory that he was heavily associated with. He started talking about mixing popular Japanese fashion into his designs and what he wanted the games to be about and Squaresoft outright said they were entrusting him with the series because he was "tapped into what's hip." Jokes about Nomura have gone through a lot of iterations but the big ones were always about him putting zippers and belts on everything and mocking some quotes from him about his design process where he talks about how hatred and sadness are his biggest motivations when it comes to work and design. Some seriously emo poo poo.

Now that it's been a long time, I can look back and say that I and other people were being lovely at times for some of the ways we criticized him. His monster designs were also actually very, very good. I think the big mistake with Nomura was putting him at the head of non-Kingdom Hearts projects and making him the face of the company when it seems clear in retrospect that he was better as an art director and ultimately didn't have the managerial or technical experience that other big names in the company had. Even Toriyama, weirdo that he may have a reputation for being, is allegedly quite good about the day-to-day and getting work done while Nomura is said to dawdle a lot.

edit: oh yeah also he was a big part of The Bouncer which was a disappointing and gawdy game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 3, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

here's mine

Greetings, Solitary-Sora

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

His monster designs were also actually very, very good.

Oh, gently caress yeah. PE1/2 especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, gently caress yeah. PE1/2 especially.

Seriously. They were some haunting stuff and the atmosphere of those games wouldn't be what it was without his design work. I can still remember that first rat transformation in PE1 with detail ._.