Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

As someone who historically couldn't stand Nomura and has been posting about it for over a decade, I can tell you it started in heavily around when FFX was in development and FF8 was a recent memory that he was heavily associated with. He started talking about mixing popular Japanese fashion into his designs and what he wanted the games to be about and Squaresoft outright said they were entrusting him with the series because he was "tapped into what's hip." Jokes about Nomura have gone through a lot of iterations but the big ones were always about him putting zippers and belts on everything and mocking some quotes from him about his design process where he talks about how hatred and sadness are his biggest motivations when it comes to work and design. Some seriously emo poo poo.

Now that it's been a long time, I can look back and say that I and other people were being lovely at times for some of the ways we criticized him. His monster designs were also actually very, very good. I think the big mistake with Nomura was putting him at the head of non-Kingdom Hearts projects and making him the face of the company when it seems clear in retrospect that he was better as an art director and ultimately didn't have the managerial or technical experience that other big names in the company had. Even Toriyama, weirdo that he may have a reputation for being, is allegedly quite good about the day-to-day and getting work done while Nomura is said to dawdle a lot.

edit: oh yeah also he was a big part of The Bouncer which was a disappointing and gawdy game.
nomura tapping into what's hip, putting zipper and belts on everything, and making hatred and sadness his biggest motivations when it comes to work and design led to The World Ends With You, the best game square ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

here's mine

Glad you made sure to include the 15-year-old.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Almost finished Nights of Azure, if you want an okay ARPG about two girls who were the bestest friends there ever were you won't find okay-er.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Glad you made sure to include the 15-year-old.
the tag says 'love' not 'had sex with'

i have a different chart for that

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Endorph posted:

*looking at the greatest combat systems ever put into a video game*

hm. what if we made this suck instead? i think it's worth considering.

What does any full 3D Tales game I didn't list gain from being in 3D? In particular what do they gain that counterbalances taking away the ability to properly protect mages and letting enemies attack you from angles you can't directly do anything about?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though you can just switch targets, and minus zesty (which is one of the games you listed as an exception) enemies don't really much in such a way that full 3d movement would be needed to react to them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

nomura tapping into what's hip, putting zipper and belts on everything, and making hatred and sadness his biggest motivations when it comes to work and design led to The World Ends With You, the best game square ever made.

I never played it because it screamed "a Nomura joint" and I still hated him at the time. One of these days I might put in the DS cart I bought a few years back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcsYkotBeI

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
One kind of thing that's never going to happen in 3D is a little boss mechanic from Eternia: Undine, the first Greater Craymel, is a "don't just keep firing artes" tutorial. She has an attack, Spear of Baptism, that will gently caress up everybody on the line, but it can be stopped at Reid by his shield.

I've always thought that was cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bloodychill posted:

I never played it...One of these days I might put in the DS cart I bought a few years back.

:confused:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Star Ocean 3 has a pretty great 3-D combat system, even if some of the mechanics, like MP death, are just...ugh. But overall it was maybe the one example of a 3-D action RPG combat system in that sort of style that worked well as intended. I never felt like I was fighting against the movement system to move around, and I even got to the point where I can cancel moves into other moves and rack up side kick combos all day long.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

One kind of thing that's never going to happen in 3D is a little boss mechanic from Eternia: Undine, the first Greater Craymel, is a "don't just keep firing artes" tutorial. She has an attack, Spear of Baptism, that will gently caress up everybody on the line, but it can be stopped at Reid by his shield.

I've always thought that was cool.

Huh, that's what you were supposed to do? I always thought it was a tutorial for the obscure "make everybody jump at once" command. The one that had like one other use in the game at all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

here's mine

Where does Repede fit on this chart.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Pepper posted:

Where does Repede fit on this chart.

Everybody loves Repede.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Endorph posted:

*looking at the greatest combat systems ever put into a video game*

hm. what if we made this suck instead? i think it's worth considering.

SH:FTNW improved on the Shadow Hearts:Covenant combat system though...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

When I got a good career-type job and first had a lot of extra money, early I on I did some stuff that doesn't make much sense like go into a game store and look through their used DS carts and just grab anything under a certain price that I knew wasn't shovelware.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phantasium posted:

Huh, that's what you were supposed to do? I always thought it was a tutorial for the obscure "make everybody jump at once" command. The one that had like one other use in the game at all.

It might be that too but it's probably easier and cooler to just stop it.

Unless I'm full of poo poo, I guess. Eternia is one of those games I'm afraid I'll be disillusioned with if I play again.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
TWEWY was a good game about an insufferable anime protagonist slowly becoming a better dude, and also algebra.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Twewy is a game aimed at lovely teens but I didn't realize that it was good until I was no longer a lovely teen

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I haven't played it since I was a lovely teen tbh, but I remember it being pretty good and the soundtrack still owns.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

twewy is amazing and by far the best game square ever made

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I didn't really like the gameplay but I kept going so I could hear Calling, Three Minutes Clapping and Hybrid more.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I actually really hated the split screen battle thing because I felt like I was supposed to be paying full attention to both at once and I just couldn't do it. The stress was terrible until I started basically ignoring the top screen but still mashing its buttons randomly to make things happen faster. I have no idea if that was a good plan, but it took the stress away.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 3, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LK01R-sCNg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

I actually really hated the split screen battle thing because I felt like I was supposed to be paying full attention to both at once and I just couldn't do it. The stress was terrible until I started basically ignored the top screen but still mashing its buttons randomly to make things happen faster. I have no idea if that was a good plan, but it took the stress away.

Follow the Light Puck, ignore whoever's not holding it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the only involvement nomura had with twewy was hours spent scanning pages from FRUITs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwLLYuHd5Q

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Just started playing Tactics Ogre LUCT (mostly to give myself a break from Fates so I can play a SRPG without the constant threat of resetting) and I'm really digging how it's giving throwaway bosses with generic portraits a surprising amount of backstory. I just killed a former art professor fighting on some godforsaken hill of no absolutely tactical importance!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

here's mine

oh youre solitary-sora? i love your fanfics

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cake Attack posted:

twewy is amazing and by far the best game ever made

:yeah:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Star Ocean 3 has a pretty great 3-D combat system, even if some of the mechanics, like MP death, are just...ugh. But overall it was maybe the one example of a 3-D action RPG combat system in that sort of style that worked well as intended. I never felt like I was fighting against the movement system to move around, and I even got to the point where I can cancel moves into other moves and rack up side kick combos all day long.

Some of the more dedicated players figured out how to juggle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EqkZ8OEXko

Also, Roe Tablet abuse. They make you temporarily invincible, but you cannot attack. However, you can use it during certain spammable skills and the attack keeps going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obk-oMU1JR0

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cake Attack posted:

twewy is amazing and by far the best game square ever made

I didn't like anything about that game and still don't understand why people get such huge boners over it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

backstep

and the ai is decent at not dying. what difficulty are you on?

Hard. Backstep doesn't really help when I'm surrounded and the AI is doing gently caress all and Tear runs out of mana so she dies getting mana if she tries at all (she doesn't)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verranicus posted:

I didn't like anything about that game and still don't understand why people get such huge boners over it.

Shockingly, people like things they find to be good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kild posted:

Hard. Backstep doesn't really help when I'm surrounded and the AI is doing gently caress all and Tear runs out of mana so she dies getting mana if she tries at all (she doesn't)

Your mistake was playing hard. That mode is basically new game+ because the scaling on those old Tales games are like double the stats of Normal.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tae posted:

Your mistake was playing hard. That mode is basically new game+ because the scaling on those old Tales games are like double the stats of Normal.

Then whys the exp gently caress all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

because it's for new game + not for a new game

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

because it's for new game + not for a new game

if its new game+ that would imply I'd have higher level chars which would in turn require more exp to level up?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theyre not supposed to level up, theyre supposed to be strong enough to not have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
New Game + doesn't automatically let you keep all your levels but it will still let you do stuff like get experience bonuses and start with end game Cores.