Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The static rifle thing is crazy. 75 hitscan damage followed up with a super shotty seems to solve every problem. I don't see myself playing this for months on end but its a really good multiplayer sideshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Heavy Metal posted:

This has gotta be the weirdest criticism I've read. Does 2014 have a distinct look and feel a year and change later? And games sometimes take years and years to make, when they're ready for release is often just incidental.

So I guess this looks like it's from the year... Dragon Age Inquisition came out?

I'd go on record saying that 2014 was probably the worst year for videogames in my lifetime of a quarter century.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I'd go on record saying that 2014 was probably the worst year for videogames in my lifetime of a quarter century.

Wolfenstein: TNO, Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead season 2, Shovel Knight, Goat Simulator, Alien: Isolation, Binding of Issac: Rebirth, Xcom: Enemy Within, and the Talos Principle would disagree. Granted, there was a lot of dross, and 2014 saw that whole FNAF thing begin, but there was some quality stuff that came out that year.

it wasn't a bad year for wolves in general.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A.o.D. posted:

Wolfenstein: TNO, Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead season 2, Shovel Knight, Goat Simulator, Alien: Isolation, Binding of Issac: Rebirth, Xcom: Enemy Within, and the Talos Principle would disagree. Granted, there was a lot of dross, and 2014 saw that whole FNAF thing begin, but there was some quality stuff that came out that year.

it wasn't a bad year for wolves in general.

Genuinely good game (if not quite as novel as it thought it was), first released in 2013, yeah ok I'll give that a pass if we count WAU, Genuinely good game (probably the best of the year), are you loving kidding me, interesting premise that gets blown with way too much filler, glorified expansion, actual expansion pack and another fairly good game.

Not saying that nothing came of it but there was a metric fuckton of dross, tired sequels and depressing disappointments (Thief 2014), most of which made absolutely sure not to push any boundaries. 2015 and 13 were much more interesting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you think it was the worst year for games in 25 years, well, heh.

also, shame on you for hating goat simulator.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

I think the biggest issue I'm seeing in this thread is that people's framing for the beta is giving them a warped view of the final product, people seem to be operating under the assumption that this game's focus is to be Quake. when the game is aiming to be the next Singleplayer Doom.

People aren't pissed because it's not Quake, people are pissed because they're calling it DOOM.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Anyone from bethesda here? I got a key for xbox one but H ad to return my xbox one due to unforeseen issues and wish to get the PC version. When I try to use the code it says it has already been redeemed (since I installed it on the xbox one back in december).

Or if anyone is willing to give away a PC code to a fellow cool PC gamer I would appreciate it. I've been playing Doom since 1993 and have fragged more cacodemons than I've eat bowls of cap'n crunch, which is a lot.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Meowbot posted:

Anyone from bethesda here? I got a key for xbox one but H ad to return my xbox one due to unforeseen issues and wish to get the PC version. When I try to use the code it says it has already been redeemed (since I installed it on the xbox one back in december).

Or if anyone is willing to give away a PC code to a fellow cool PC gamer I would appreciate it. I've been playing Doom since 1993 and have fragged more cacodemons than I've eat bowls of cap'n crunch, which is a lot.

go to your nearest gamestop, they're handing out Beta codes no strings attached but only in-store.

Also, the beta is only for their multiplayer, you wont be able to frag cacodemons until May 13.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Overbite posted:

I had some fun with Duke Nukem Forever

I remember finding a decent server that played that burger store map over and over and it was genuinely fun times for a while

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This game owns. I have a feeling the final version will have sharper textures, I mean 5 gigs for everything this is is pretty goddamn small considering its an ID tech engine.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I think the biggest issue I'm seeing in this thread is that people's framing for the beta is giving them a warped view of the final product, people seem to be operating under the assumption that this game's focus is to be Quake. when the game is aiming to be the next Singleplayer Doom.

People are making the assumption that Doom is trying to be the next big arena shooter ala Quake or the next Unreal tournament, when in fact the beta we're experiencing is a tangential part of the package we are going get in a month and a half, which is the single player campaign. So when they play the game and find out that the multiplayer doesn't match their expectations of a full scale arena shooter, they get pissed off and complain that it's not as good as games whose sole purpose is to be an arena shooter, for example the upcoming UT.

I personally find the multiplayer to be a nice fun time with some quibbles that are legitimate, there are some fixes and changes that definitely need to be made, but the way I frame what I'm getting is not what the multiplayer is like, it's what the multiplayer is TELLING me about the actual meat of the story:- the single player campaign.

And all signs from the beta point to that the single player campaign will have

- quick speed and lots of jumping and verticality and climbing. This is absolutely the biggest and funnest thing.
- Lots of good and interesting combat and satisfying guns (although definitely needs some fixer uppers)
- a focus on momentum and constant frantic movement in a chaotic environment.
- good graphics, kickass music, and all signs point to a game that is overall FUN AND ACTION PACKED rather than the droll that was doom 3.
- No handholding, focused on purely pickups for what you need.

Even the parts that people complain about (the loadout and exp system) probably wont be a factor in the actual main game.

I personally feel that the Beta has raised my expectations of what the final game will be like, it's not going to be game of the year stuff, but it will be a rollicking fun time and my optimism has increased for the main campaign. here's hoping that they nailed it.

The singleplayer is the only thing in the package being developed by id. Different studios are working on the multiplayer and snapmap features.

I'm finding a lot of issues with it, but the multiplayer is fun. The haste power-up should be the regular speed and the slower strafe/backwards movement should be removed completely. The time to kill is fine and leads to some ~~intense~~ firefights unlike the large majority of shooters where the first person who sees the other already won. Having instant respawns and no focus whatsoever in things such as character classes or teamwork makes it a bit more chaotic than modern shooters as well.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
gently caress! I was so close to glorying the revenant but somebody else killed me. Kicking dudes feels too good.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

echronorian posted:

This game owns. I have a feeling the final version will have sharper textures, I mean 5 gigs for everything this is is pretty goddamn small considering its an ID tech engine.

5 gigs for two fairly small multiplayer maps.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AirRaid posted:

Makes me glad I'm going physical for the PS4 version

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Steam will most likely get a preload, and I have 200Mbit cable. :smug:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Half of that is assets. Megatexture takes up a lot of space. Betas are often missing final assets.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Playing the Beta more just makes me dislike it more, just so many little things start to pile up;

• Gun sounds feel like they drop off a meter away so half the time TDM is blundering around the map with no clue there's a giant fire fight going off in the next room.

• Linked to the above, the fact the HMG, Lightning gun and Plasma Rifle make the world's quietest little fart noise and have absolutely tiny hit indicators that means half the time when I'm fighting someone else I will never notice some rear end in a top hat pinging at me with the plasma rifle in the corner.

• Proably a Beta only thing but the fact that matchmaking either doesn't exist, or is completely hosed and I haven't played a round in about 20 that wasn't a one sided stomp for one team.

• Another thing related to the above, I've not seen the super duper mega cool gun/Demon Rune do anything that isn't just help the stomping team stomp harder.

• The not-deathstreaks/not-burn cards or whatever you want to call them just don't belong at all in this sort of game, nor do loadouts since I haven't seen a single person not run a Rocket Launcher + Whatever

• The fact the double jump kills almost all your momentum and makes me fall down pits all the time. :saddowns:

Or maybe I'm just bad at videogames.

But on the bright side, Warpath is a cool mode that I like a lot, I just wish it was in a better game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isn't there a place where you can post this feedback because it's the kind of thing they need to get in a beta

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't there a place where you can post this feedback because it's the kind of thing they need to get in a beta

The only constructive feedback out of that wall of unabashed whining I could make is to replace the plasma gun sound with the utterly deafening one from the original Doom so bad players like me don't die like idiots.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

echronorian posted:

Half of that is assets. Megatexture takes up a lot of space. Betas are often missing final assets.

To be fair the 5GB is just the virtualtexture files. The beta is like 14GB total.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Some dumb idiot posted:

But on the bright side, Warpath is a cool mode that I like a lot, I just wish it was in a better game.

I'd like to see something like Warpath in Titanfall 2. Where the capture zone moves round moving between places where titans can reach and not.

E: woops, forgot I just posted in here.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
This game's kinda boring, think I'll give it a miss. Would love to be proven wrong though

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Finally got a glory kill on a demon today. :unsmigghh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
No, Jon, you are the demons.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
From 4Chan, here is the alleged plot of DOOM; possible spoilers of course:

DOOM Story spoilers follow. This is pretty much the complete story.
The UAC, led by Dr. Samuel Hayden, built some kind of gateway to hell to harness its energy for mankind.
They found a tablet early on while researching hell.
Olivia, another researcher, was obsessed with the tablet.
The artifact "bears your mark"
It is called the helix. It is a large stone tablet, it has inscriptions about Hell.
The company is apparently "weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow"
Olivia has been corrupted by the demons and is trying to open a portal manually to hell
Dr. Samuel Hayden sees this and needs the players help.
There is an AI. It uses the voice of the multiplayer announcer. It helps you on your journey. The AI is in your suit and manages your abilities and upgrades and poo poo.
Eventually you get the crucible, which has something to do with going to hell.
Olivia has a special secret lab which requires special clearance.
Dr. Samuel Hayden is troubled by what he does, but says he has no choice.
Olivia is now trying to get hell on earth or something.
Olivia was tempted by hell to open a portal. She believes the demons will bring some kind of salvation.
You are apparently the only one who can stand against the demons, and Olivia knows this.
The game takes place past 2125, when the argent accumulator, which is the thing that takes the energy from hell, was created.
It is related to the hell portals and is a source of unlimited energy.
Dr Samuel built it.
Dr. Samuel pulled you from a tomb in the cattenger sanctum (Somewhere in hell). He saved you because he knew that you'd be the only one who could stop a catastrophe.
You destroy the Argent accumulator because Olivia used it to open a portal, but now you have to go to hell to close the portal.
Your AI is powered in a remote location on base with considerable energy, so you use your AI's power to send you to the source of the hell portal.

You stop hell's invasion and close the portal successfully, but there are consequences.
You are the same Doomguy from the original, and you are the only one who has walked in both dimensions.
The "well" is the source of power, and you use the crucible to shut it down.
There is some head demon with a really deep voice, who says that the demons fear "him.'
"He" is described by the head devil guy as some kind of timeless arbiter who comes to hell whenever and kills demons unrelentingly.
He calls "him" the "hellwalker" and the "doomslayer" who got armor from a traitor in hell and wanted to end the evil of hell.
The titan fought the "doomslayer" but the doomslayer won. The demon priests laid a trap for the doomslayer and he was entombed in a temple.'
A mark was burned on the crypt to warn the demons. You are the doomslayer, and this is the tomb samuel rescues you from. I would assume the demon says this stuff at the end of the game.
This is an origin story, btw. So before the originals.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Spoiler: demons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Nobody should ever have to write that many words for the plot of a doom game.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So basically the same plot of doom. only with more words and pointless side characters.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

khwarezm posted:

Seriously.

Plot: Story opens with man of unexplained (probably military) origin in unexplained, hybrid future tech + hellscape environment, killing as many inhabitants of said environment as possible with kickass guns and a chainsaw until credits role.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Why don't they cut the crap and just namedrop already, "What do they call this supposed savior Doctor Hellenstien?" "It's more a force to them, but these symbols here roughly translate to something like fate or destiny, unavoidable ill fortune... Doom. They call it Doom"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

bring back tei tenga or no deal id. :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khwarezm posted:

I think it's actually the same length as the full Doom story across the in game text and the manual.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

And if the story arc does end up being "it is revealed... You are... The Doomguy!!" with no aspirations of being anything deeper or impactful, I'm fine with that as long as the singleplayer gameplay is enjoyable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

so you get 75 seconds or whatever to sit in the lobby and then there's another 20 seconds once that finishes to let people mess with their loadouts on another screen just in case they weren't actually ready? if a warpath round's a shutout it lasts like 2 minutes

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Buca di Bepis posted:

so you get 75 seconds or whatever to sit in the lobby and then there's another 20 seconds once that finishes to let people mess with their loadouts on another screen just in case they weren't actually ready? if a warpath round's a shutout it lasts like 2 minutes

Isn't match making grand?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

fishmech posted:

I think it's actually the same length as the full Doom story across the in game text and the manual.

Does that include the secret levels or the part when Doomguy's bunny gets killed or when he wonders where the bad people will go when they die now that he's destroyed hell?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Servers are down now. RIP Halo multiplayer with skeletons beta

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

From 4Chan, here is the alleged plot of DOOM; possible spoilers of course:
:words:

lmao if anyone believes this. Reminds me of those 4chan DmC: Devil May Cry story leaks that were similar (with original Dante meeting reboot Dante in another dimension!!!).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that probably would have been better than the heap that reboot game was, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

retard 4 has audio logs recorded by satan. this is not a joke.