Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Overwined posted:

So a thought occurred to me. Since I can get Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil and they seem not too easy to find on the internet and since sardines and gourmet canned foods in general seem oddly regionally distributed, I thought about maybe making a Google Sheet that we could fill out with what we want and what's available to us. That way if you want to make an exchange with another dadgoon, you can. Any interest in this? As I said, I have no problem setting up the sheet. The exchanges themselves would have to be organized goon to goon, though.

EDIT: Personally I would like to see exchanges that are considered equal by both parties and no money changes hands. You guys can do whatever you want, I guess. But it would seem better off in SA-Mart if that's what you want to do. Again, I'd rather just steer clear of it.

If you set it up I'll put it in the OP. I don't care is people wanna charge or ship for free, I think that can be handled Goon to Goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Us Canadians have historically liked to make as many things as Canadian as possible, even if that means just slapping a new wrapper on the stuff. Also the best orange soda is still Orange Crush up here in Ontario.

Got these dines for 3.65 or so at the local Metro not on sale, can't confirm for other Canadian goons whether you can get them at Loblaws. Is this generally how KO packs their dines? I don't know if Clover Leaf buys just the fish or the packaging too.

So I cracked them open and had the first half on some toasted baguette with lemon juice and/or cholula hot sauce. I haven't had a lot of dines but these were pretty great and didn't taste too fishy. I then took the other half and whipped up a kind of dine salad with some chopped onions, tiny bit of mayo, pepper and a little vinegar that went pretty great with some carrots.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on bristling dines in water or tomato sauce to try the difference, but I'd call this a success.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had some Brunswick kippered snacks yesterday, and happened to notice that apparently they are a subsidiary of Bumblebee. I've been kind of enjoying slumming with sandwiches made from the Bumblebee sardines in hot sauce, so this didn't strike me as too bad a thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When I was young and the Good Eats episode aired where alton brown made the Sardacado Sandwish in the OP, I felt personally insulted he was pushing sardines so hard because I thought sardines were gross. Now I have avocados ripening with the explicit intent to make one for myself.

Oh how times have changed.

I just made a bootleg version where I toasted whole wheat bread and added parsley, vinegar, black pepper, and chili paste to the dines and made a sandwich. I was at a 1k calorie deficit for the day so I needed something a little extra and it was an excellent decision.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Trundel posted:

Us Canadians have historically liked to make as many things as Canadian as possible, even if that means just slapping a new wrapper on the stuff. Also the best orange soda is still Orange Crush up here in Ontario.

Got these dines for 3.65 or so at the local Metro not on sale, can't confirm for other Canadian goons whether you can get them at Loblaws. Is this generally how KO packs their dines? I don't know if Clover Leaf buys just the fish or the packaging too.

So I cracked them open and had the first half on some toasted baguette with lemon juice and/or cholula hot sauce. I haven't had a lot of dines but these were pretty great and didn't taste too fishy. I then took the other half and whipped up a kind of dine salad with some chopped onions, tiny bit of mayo, pepper and a little vinegar that went pretty great with some carrots.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on bristling dines in water or tomato sauce to try the difference, but I'd call this a success.

Yeah that's almost exactly what KO looks like

Maybe exactly

The fish in your pic are a little larger than KO usually are but fish do vary

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Same printed bag over the can, too. I bet they're made in the same facility and of the same stock, just rebranded for leafoids

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Overwined posted:

So a thought occurred to me. Since I can get Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil and they seem not too easy to find on the internet and since sardines and gourmet canned foods in general seem oddly regionally distributed, I thought about maybe making a Google Sheet that we could fill out with what we want and what's available to us. That way if you want to make an exchange with another dadgoon, you can. Any interest in this? As I said, I have no problem setting up the sheet. The exchanges themselves would have to be organized goon to goon, though.

EDIT: Personally I would like to see exchanges that are considered equal by both parties and no money changes hands. You guys can do whatever you want, I guess. But it would seem better off in SA-Mart if that's what you want to do. Again, I'd rather just steer clear of it.

If you start an exchange like this, I'll gladly participate.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think it would be good if the way you requested dines from someone is you mailed them dines without asking and then they went "oh man gotta mail back some deens" but that would involve publicly sharing addresses so I think keeping it to "I have this, pm me, we can exchange fish" is fine

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think it would be good if the way you requested dines from someone is you mailed them dines without asking and then they went "oh man gotta mail back some deens" but that would involve publicly sharing addresses so I think keeping it to "I have this, pm me, we can exchange fish" is fine

I agree insofar as the nature of the exchange should just be ad hoc. If you want to give away dines, go ahead. If you want to exchange dines, do it. If you want to buy or sell dines, that's okay just remember that buyer beware. The sheet is just a way to find people with dines and people in need of dines and to be able to contact them. The rest is up to you.

Anyway, :siren: here is the link :siren: to the sheet. I'm going to continue working on it, but it's pretty self-explanatory for now. I put in just the brands I've seen around my area, so feel free to add your own brands to the far right. If you can't be bothered with formatting, that's fine, I'll try to clean it up as people add brands and types. Also, and I think this is important, try to think about whether or not anyone would want that brand of dines. Consider how widely available they are and if they are even any good. For reference, you may want to use the Mouth Full of Sardines blog.

EDIT: It's conditionally formatted to make it easier to browse, so use the key.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Add a country located in box please.

E: I put it in the OP, if people start taking regular advantage of it I'll feature it more strongly go get going goons

raton fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 4, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Add a country located in box please.

Ah, yes. Good idea. Adding now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

E: I put it in the OP, if people start taking regular advantage of it I'll feature it more strongly go get going goons

Likewise if people use it, I'll add tabs for like smoked oyster and clams and other canned seafoods.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
do a thread about olives next plz

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Unlucky posted:

do a thread about olives next plz

I believe those are technically fruit, so no

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

super macho dude posted:

brb converting my basement into a 'dine cellar

Already workin on it

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I was walking through the grocery store tonight, feeling pretty hungry, when I saw King Oscar sardines. I've never eaten sardines from a can before, but I'd read this thread, and I felt compelled to try them. I made a simple sandwich of rye, sardine, sambal oelek.

It was good. Thanks goons.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I believe those are technically fruit, so no
how about organ meats

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

how about organ meats

Oh hey bud what's the haps

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I'm down to trade some fishes, but my main contribution for "rarity" would be KO mackerel if there is any interest in that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Planet X posted:

Already workin on it

feel the vern

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Ginger Ale, especially Ginger Beer that prickles your tongue up and makes you sneeze, is very dadly.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Millionnaires are the best Sardines in Canada. Clover Leaf and Brunswick are usually garbage, unless you get the brislings. Anyhow, try them if you see them, they have a slightly smoked flavour, which is boss. Then you will be part of the club.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Ceciltron posted:

Ginger Ale, especially Ginger Beer that prickles your tongue up and makes you sneeze, is very dadly.

ive been drinking ginger beer a lot lately (maine root and also cock and bull), and it's good stuff

especially with spicy foods

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

the best ginger beer:

all the other ones in my area suck rear end in comparison. cane sugar > hfcs

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Add some kraken rum and a bit of lime juice. Baby, you've got a stew going.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Canadians have a little of that UKness in them that makes them prefer really bland branding. Like in the UK if there was a new orange soda they'd call it "Orange Drink" and be really proud of that poo poo and in Canada it'd be like "Citrus Sip" and in the US it'd be "Savage Sections from Roky Erickson"

Roky Erickson fuckin rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsARUH_t8Ao

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8utoYl7LLo

E: I like this Cold Alligator song I don't think I've heard it before

raton fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 5, 2016

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I wish we weren't so tight on money right now because the seasons sardines are on sale for like $2/4 due to passover :emo:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They're not worth 2 bucks

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

They're not worth 2 bucks

:shrug: I just saw that they were cheaper than usual and thought about trying them since KOs are never on sale and I can't afford those either.

I got a tin of chicken of the sea kipper snax from a dollar general the other day and they were ok. Comparable to the brunswick ones. I still think CotS boneless/skinless sardines at $1.50 a can are a good price and a great tuna substitute for people who don't like the bones. :)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Are tinned smoked clams sufficiently dadly?

numberoneposter posted:

I'd posture that smoked clams/mussels/oysters are more dadlier than even the mighty 'dine.

Continuing this line of enquiry, Snow's minced clams, while not smoky and amazing, make for rad pasta with a bit of red sauce and a bit of basil. If relatively light on calories clams packed in water isn't your thing you could probably fix that by piling clam + sauce on a baguette and toasting brie or mozz over it :chef:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Speaking of smoked oysters/mussels/clams, any recommendations on brand? I definitely want to delve in and take my dad level to 11.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Overwined posted:

Speaking of smoked oysters/mussels/clams, any recommendations on brand? I definitely want to delve in and take my dad level to 11.

Reese are the only ones at an average grocery store around here but they're great.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sausagemans (?) Eggs in prep

How will it turn out?

Dkdc

E: another w for Sheep Goats snurf smaek a guggle a hukc

Greeds: yellow squash tiny zucch some eggs 7 sausages big onion giant bag of spinach garlickmybutt

Cook: u figger it out fu

raton fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 5, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I think I'm going to make some kind of clam pasta tonight.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Finally going to cash in my free coupon from the haiku contest tonight

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to enter this into evidence in the case of Clover Leaf v. King Oscar

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Exhibit B has been entered into evidence my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'd like to enter this into evidence in the case of Clover Leaf v. King Oscar

Millionaires look exactly like that too!