Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Nulldevice posted:

Seagate 3TB NAS drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-22178392-S0A $89.99 with code ESCEHHF22 through 11:59 PDT tonight.

edit: actually Im going to hold off, but I would buy 5 of these in a heartbeat if I didnt have a vacation coming up.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

g0del posted:

Others have answered too, but yeah, it's pretty overkill. Specifically - there's no way you need SSDs for cache if you're using it as dumb file dump. The case looks really nice from the outside, but appears to be a nightmare to actually work in, and good luck finding a 1u power supply which doesn't sound like a jet engine. The server grade mobo and ECC ram are great, but even there you can get cheaper stuff. That's a lot of money to pay for a three year old atom processor.

I've seen that mobo recommended several times, but if there are better, more advanced alternatives, I'd rather use those. There really is no "default" NAS option for people, huh.

Skandranon posted:

Try to figure out what your actual space & redundancy requirements will be before dropping $2k. If you only need 3-5tb, RAID1 is perfectly adequate and so much simpler to set up and take care of. You also don't need a huge amount of RAM for that, even 2gb should be plenty if running Windows and less if Linux.

Romantically, I like the idea of a mirror of my PC space (12TB) for usable NAS space. In actuality, I would probably only need about 8. By my estimate, about 5TB of crap would immediately move over to the NAS with a few TBs left over.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Commander Keenan posted:

I've seen that mobo recommended several times, but if there are better, more advanced alternatives, I'd rather use those. There really is no "default" NAS option for people, huh.

The only thing about that mobo that I really care for is that it already has a ton of SATA ports, which greatly simplifies building a large NAS. However, most of my servers have been desktop motherboards, usually passed down when I upgrade my main PC. My main server is a AMD Phenom 1055 with 16gb of RAM and 13 3-4TB drives running SnapRaid with 2 parity. Total space is somewhere around 30TB. But you can get pretty far with just the 5-6 SATA ports provided by most motherboards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Qnap TBS-453a (m.2 based NAS appliance) is shipping now: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/qnap-announces-tbs-453a-nasbook-worlds-first-m-2-ssd-based-nas/

Kind of neat, m.2 SSDs don't really compete on price with 3.5"s of course but I'm sure it'd have use cases. Small apartment, even lower power usage? Same guts as the TS-453a (celeron 3150).

What $/GB do you guys think it'll be worth moving to flash based home nas or spinning disk 4evah?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Commander Keenan posted:

It's not the mobo per se that I have an issue with, it's more the built-in atom CPU. I upgraded my NAS earlier this year to a supermicro X10 mobo and the cheapest dual-core pentium CPU that was supported, and that pentium is still faster than the atom in that mobo. And significantly cheaper.

And it's not that you need the CPU power for a NAS*. It's just that you're paying a premium for the mini-ITX size and the low power CPU.

quote:

Romantically, I like the idea of a mirror of my PC space (12TB) for usable NAS space. In actuality, I would probably only need about 8. By my estimate, about 5TB of crap would immediately move over to the NAS with a few TBs left over.
Grab 6 of those 3TB drives that are on sale today, set them up in raidz2, get 12TB usable space and two disk redundancy. Also remember that you really don't want to use more than about 80% of your usable space. ZFS and other copy-on-write filesystems get really slow when they start getting too full.

*For just NAS work. On the other hand, if you're planning on running a bunch of VMs on the NAS, or having emby/plex transcoding a lot of video, you'll be hating that atom.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What do you guys use to access your poo poo from the outside? OpenVPN?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

yeah I use openvpn on pfsense

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

g0del posted:

It's not the mobo per se that I have an issue with, it's more the built-in atom CPU. I upgraded my NAS earlier this year to a supermicro X10 mobo and the cheapest dual-core pentium CPU that was supported, and that pentium is still faster than the atom in that mobo. And significantly cheaper.

And it's not that you need the CPU power for a NAS*. It's just that you're paying a premium for the mini-ITX size and the low power CPU.
Grab 6 of those 3TB drives that are on sale today, set them up in raidz2, get 12TB usable space and two disk redundancy. Also remember that you really don't want to use more than about 80% of your usable space. ZFS and other copy-on-write filesystems get really slow when they start getting too full.

*For just NAS work. On the other hand, if you're planning on running a bunch of VMs on the NAS, or having emby/plex transcoding a lot of video, you'll be hating that atom.

Cool. I'm getting a better idea of what I want to do. I'll probably pick up those hard drives. Thanks for the help!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

priznat posted:

The Qnap TBS-453a (m.2 based NAS appliance) is shipping now: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/qnap-announces-tbs-453a-nasbook-worlds-first-m-2-ssd-based-nas/

Kind of neat, m.2 SSDs don't really compete on price with 3.5"s of course but I'm sure it'd have use cases. Small apartment, even lower power usage? Same guts as the TS-453a (celeron 3150).

What $/GB do you guys think it'll be worth moving to flash based home nas or spinning disk 4evah?

I don't know why, but I really want this. Maxed out on space of course.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Has anyone upgrade from FreeNAS 9.3 to 9.10 yet?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, worked flawlessly. Samba seems to work faster, large directory look ups and such for shares not accessed in a while are nearly instant, unlike before.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

The Milkman posted:

What do you guys use to access your poo poo from the outside? OpenVPN?

Yeahp. :)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

mayodreams posted:

Has anyone upgrade from FreeNAS 9.3 to 9.10 yet?

Some people have had issues with jails post-upgrade. Clean installs don't have that issue from what I've read. I've resigned myself to staying on 9.3 until 10.x releases, so I don't have to redo my apps twice.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

G-Prime posted:

Some people have had issues with jails post-upgrade. Clean installs don't have that issue from what I've read. I've resigned myself to staying on 9.3 until 10.x releases, so I don't have to redo my apps twice.

Ooooh, I was just going to ask about that. Guess I'll wait too.

Edit: Look like that issue is specific to jails and not plugins like I initially thought.

I just upgraded to 9.10. No issues.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 2, 2016

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I have a 3TB Seagate Deathstar that's throwing up Reallocated Sector SMART warnings. Is there any new hotness in drives I should be looking for/avoiding, or should I just find a nice drive on sale and toss it in?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ElegantFugue posted:

I have a 3TB Seagate Deathstar that's throwing up Reallocated Sector SMART warnings. Is there any new hotness in drives I should be looking for/avoiding, or should I just find a nice drive on sale and toss it in?

Pretty much just whatever's on sale. HGST seems to have arguably the best reliability at this point, but also tend to be the most expensive. Just be careful of what sort of warranty you're getting: a bunch of the crap-grade Seagate/WD drives are down to a 2yr warranty. I'm sure you can figure out the difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM drives. Really the only "new" players lately are the drives specifically aimed at surveillance programs and aimed at write-once-read-many "archive" applications, neither of which are what you want for normal desktop or NAS use.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
My Buffalo Linkstation HS-DH500GL finally died, or rather I've given up trying to swap a new drive into it. I'm convinced it's an impossible task. So here's the deal I need a new NAS, I know nothing about what make a good NAS. I've been using my Linkstation to store documents and as a media storage unit so I can stream movies across my network to Kodi. I'd like something good but reasonable price wise because I'm a poor college student. Should I just buy someones old used NAS box or should I build a basic system from scratch and run freenas?

What are your recommendations?

Osteo
Jun 1, 2009
Hi!

I'm looking for a replacement for my DNS-323. I've had this little 2-bay NAS for 7 years, but it's starting to show signs of instability. I bought it for $140 Canadian dollars in 2009. We've had a lot of fun with custom firmware, raid configurations, bit torrents, benchmarking, and automatic backup. Now I'm mostly using it just for file storage and sharing between roommates. I have a few manual backups.

Can you suggest a modern alternative? I appreciated the price and the flexibility of custom firmware on the 323. I'm looking for something with 4-bays. I don't think I'm aware of any particular software feature that are a must-have. I also appreciated the DIY community behind the dns-323.

I've heard good things about Synology. The HP ProLiant MicroServers sound awesome, but are over $1000. I could get by with something custom, but in this case I'm a sucker for some sort of an attractive form-factor. I don't think I need any RAID or hotswapping.

Many thanks!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A synology/qnap should be perfect for you.

I'm more amazed at your patience in keeping a DNS-323 around for so long, that thing is hilariously slow. I got rid of mine ages ago.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm considering a NAS system to replace my 3 internal hard drives and one external 3 TB hard drive as a couple of the internals are approaching 8-9 years old and I'm honestly amazed they haven't failed yet. Hopefully, I can consolidate and use my internals for backups/throw em away.

I'm not too clued up on RAID and such, but from reading this thread I'm thinking of a Synology DS415Play.

First, I'm just wanting to confirm I understand the concept correctly: If I get 2x3TB hard drives and plug em in, I will actually only have 3 TB, the other will be used for redundancy? If I then add a third 3TB hard drive, I will now have 6 TB, then 9TB if I have four 3TB drives? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going by what I understood from the OP.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of the 415Play? Do they have any rants/raves about it? This is a big wad of cash so I'd like to know if anyone has any complaints or issues with this model before I commit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a play with this https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

That's awesome, thanks!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
After you have 4 drives you should also consider using RAID-6. You would only get 6TB of usable space, but you could survive two drive failures.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Saukkis posted:

After you have 4 drives you should also consider using RAID-6. You would only get 6TB of usable space, but you could survive two drive failures.

This, or SHR-2 if you have a Synology NAS. You are probably going to hit a URE during a rebuild with these huge disks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you can afford it you should definitely do SHR2. especially if you are rolling your own xpenology since its basically just the cost of the disk.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a ballpark probability of drive failure during rebuild for drives of a given size (or whatever other relevant parameter)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Is there a ballpark probability of drive failure during rebuild for drives of a given size (or whatever other relevant parameter)

I don't know if anyone has done a good probability matrix... but at & above 3tb the rated MTBF rates given for drives mean a very good chance of at least one unrecoverable error in one of your disk, which is why at least RAID6 is recommended for larger drives. This allows correcting for any error that does show up, as it's very unlikely to get 2 errors in the same stripe, so the different parity drives can cover for each other.

Edit: This explains it a little better http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Osteo
Jun 1, 2009

devmd01 posted:

A synology/qnap should be perfect for you.

I'm more amazed at your patience in keeping a DNS-323 around for so long, that thing is hilariously slow. I got rid of mine ages ago.

I did some more research and I think I'll snatching up a Synology. I don't need the hdmi capabilities of QNAP and one note I made, at least with the case of Synology, is that you have root access out of the box. That's hits pretty much everything I need. I'll be pretty happy to graduate from the DNS-323 - it's quite slow indeed.

Regarding drive failures, there's this fine website with some empirical data of failure rates.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive-q4-2014/
They have some fresher data on their blog, but this link is a nice summary. There's still a ton of data present: average age, capacity, failure rates, etc. And implied data such as price/TB.

It raises my question: which model/size/brand will last the longest, statistically, for the cheapest cost. Should I buy 2x4TB drives now, or 4x2TB drives. I guess the more drives you own, the failure rates are additive. Also 4 drives are probably more expensive than 2.

Their summary says 4TB are great (2.6% failure rate), but what about picking an individual model, say, the HGST Deskstar 5K3000 3TB drive, with failure rate of 0.6% (and average age of 2.6 years). Is that not the best in the list?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Osteo posted:

It raises my question: which model/size/brand will last the longest, statistically, for the cheapest cost. Should I buy 2x4TB drives now, or 4x2TB drives. I guess the more drives you own, the failure rates are additive. Also 4 drives are probably more expensive than 2.

Their summary says 4TB are great (2.6% failure rate), but what about picking an individual model, say, the HGST Deskstar 5K3000 3TB drive, with failure rate of 0.6% (and average age of 2.6 years). Is that not the best in the list?
Unless you are trying to MAXXXIMUM PERFORMANCE, or getting them at a massive discount/free, there's almost never a good reason to go for more smaller drives vice fewer bigger drives, as long as you're getting the space you want out of it. In your example, you could use RAID5 on the 4x2TB set and get 6TB usable with a fault tolerance of 1 drive, whereas 2x4TB would require you to mirror, giving you 4TB usable and a fault tolerance of 1 drive. Push that to 5x2 or 3x4, though, and now you're at 8TB and 1 drive tolerance for both.

According to Backblaze's numbers, HGST drives right now are the best bet, but they're also the most expensive. There haven't been many horror stories about WD Reds or Seagate NAS drives, other than DOA ones due to lovely packaging by the retailer. If you do end up buying 4 or more drives, though, it's probably worth trying to buy half from a different vendor, to help reduce the chances of a bad lot manufacturing issue affecting all your drives at once.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So according to that if I have just a 4TB drive and add another one in SHR I won't get any extra space at all? :confused:

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Correct. It will essentially create a mirror of the first drive. You are adding redundancy that point, not capacity.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Nulldevice posted:

Correct. It will essentially create a mirror of the first drive. You are adding redundancy that point, not capacity.

drat, thought it only used part of the drive for parity, not the full one. Looks like I'll have to buy 2 more then, down to 300gb!!

As an aside, I have my xpenology box routeable, as well as Sonar/NZBGet/Couchpotato/PhotoStation (through a DDNS) so I can get on it when I'm out on my phone or at work... everything is passworded obviously but I'm wondering if it's still a security risk? Should I just set up the VPN on my router and connect to that from my phone so I don't have all these ports forwarded?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

drat, thought it only used part of the drive for parity, not the full one. Looks like I'll have to buy 2 more then, down to 300gb!!

As an aside, I have my xpenology box routeable, as well as Sonar/NZBGet/Couchpotato/PhotoStation (through a DDNS) so I can get on it when I'm out on my phone or at work... everything is passworded obviously but I'm wondering if it's still a security risk? Should I just set up the VPN on my router and connect to that from my phone so I don't have all these ports forwarded?

Personally this is how I do things. I just run openvpn on my server and port forward to the openvpn server. I do have some services forwarded through a reverse proxy but on random high ports and via SSL, and password protected. This is maybe two services tho. The VPN is nice because it allows for more access without the port forwarding. More access is nice.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

looking to build my own NAS for the first time, it's a toss up between FreeNAS and unRAID but that's really not my question.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VfstXL

This is what I am thinking of getting with room for two more drives in the case anyone see anything wrong with this?? I flip flopped between the G4400 and the AMD but the G4400 uses a lot of electricity.

My usage will be feeding Amazon Fire TV's media, data storage for my wife, CouchPotato etc etc

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Photex posted:

looking to build my own NAS for the first time, it's a toss up between FreeNAS and unRAID but that's really not my question.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VfstXL

This is what I am thinking of getting with room for two more drives in the case anyone see anything wrong with this?? I flip flopped between the G4400 and the AMD but the G4400 uses a lot of electricity.

My usage will be feeding Amazon Fire TV's media, data storage for my wife, CouchPotato etc etc

I prefer mid-full tower cases, so you have a lot more room to upgrade if you should so desire. Been using an Antec 1200 for over 5 years as my main storage appliance, which easily fits 12 drives with plenty of room for cooling. Could push it to 16 with some 3to4 bay drive converters, or even 20 if using a sideways 3-5. I expect to be using this case for another 5 years at least.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is probably a dumb question, but I've got a N40L running FreeNAS, and I feel like the speeds I see from it are ... Not great. Everytime I access it, there's a long delay (I assume while the drive(s) spin up?) upon initial access. Then, if I try to transcode something on my PC (I used to use ... I think Tversity, something like that? - I stopped when it didn't work), performance is very poor - constant skipping, etc.

The PC runs modern games at high settings, so I don't think that's a hardware issue.

Is there something I can do on the FreeNAS config or my network to make it work better?

Relevant details that I can think of:

FreeNAS and PC are plugged into a Linksys EA2700 router. NAS is a N40L with (I think) 4GB of RAM, running 4 WD Green drives (2TB each) in RAIDZ2.

Thanks, guys!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

On my Xpen box, I just block all incoming traffic that doesn't originate from my VPN through the built in firewall, and it works. So it can talk to the world, but only I have access to inbound ports. This may or may not be stupid - Im not sure :shobon:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I probably need help, because I just read a 40-page whitepaper on Windows Storage Spaces and I/O performance, since I just built a POC for what I want to do at home before I buy the hard drives. It's a shame that parity is so dogshit slow on writes, but I understand why since it's completely software raid.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

devmd01 posted:

I probably need help, because I just read a 40-page whitepaper on Windows Storage Spaces and I/O performance, since I just built a POC for what I want to do at home before I buy the hard drives. It's a shame that parity is so dogshit slow on writes, but I understand why since it's completely software raid.

Everything I ever read talks about how bad storage spaces are, but I haven't looked into it in detail. I'm sure someone else will speak up.

I just wanted to say that software raid isn't necessarily slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I need to do more testing with performance of mixed mirror/parity virtual disks on the same storage pool, since read speed with parity is more than adequate for serving up 1-15GB mkv files, but I'd also like to run a couple of hyper-v machines.

Storage spaces is pretty slick for what it is and if you accept the limitations that come with it.