Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well if you're the type who likes to rant about how "SJWs worm their way into writing rooms" you'll not enjoy Outlander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bring back old gbs posted:

House of Lies is doing a season 5 preview thing on hulu and I decided to give it a chance since I am not really invested. So far Don Cheadle has said motherfucker, Kristen Bell is in it, and an old lawyer guy poo poo in another guy's briefcase and they actually show it. I haven't even got past the "last season on..." montage and it has me pretty interested. Is this a goon approved show to enjoy?

I hate that show. I really wanted to like it and I tried to binge watch it a couple of times. The last time I think I finished S2 and I just kind of hate it.

I'm not even sure why. The cast is talented and I have nothing inherently against unlikable characters if they're compelling. I think its just that there's nothing really compelling happening in the show. Its basically a show about rich, rear end in a top hat people being assholes to each other. Which... I mean, I loved Mad Men. But it doesn't work for House of Lies for whatever reason.

In some way I think of it like Girls if they all had MBAs and ambition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's good that you've identified it. The next step is to find help.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Outlander: strong enough for a man but made for a woman.

In all seriousness, every guy I know who's given it a chance has liked it? It's Rob Roy + time travel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

Outlander: strong enough for a man but made for a woman.

In all seriousness, every guy I know who's given it a chance has liked it? It's Rob Roy + time travel.

It seems like it would be extremely my poo poo but "adapted from a series of romance novels" gives me pause.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't watched much of the last half of this season of TWD but if the whole episode was about who died and then they showed a POV shot of it as a cliffhanger without revealing it then I don't see how that's any different than Lost where the whole half back of the season was about the mystery of the hatch and then ended the episode with a POV shot of the hatch without revealing the mystery.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

zoux posted:

It seems like it would be extremely my poo poo but "adapted from a series of romance novels" gives me pause.

There's some kissing and stuff in it. :tinfoil:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

There's some kissing and stuff in it. :tinfoil:

Oh siiiiiiiick ewwwww.

Speaking of gross icky girls, TBS extended Full Frontal through the end of the year.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 4, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I cleared up my whole day weeks ago to spend it tailgating, watching baseball, and barbecuing outside with friends, family, and fun total strangers and then I woke up and it was snowing.
For the love of god, go back inside! Skin cancer, lung cancer, stomach cancer!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I haven't watched much of the last half of this season of TWD but if the whole episode was about who died and then they showed a POV shot of it as a cliffhanger without revealing it then I don't see how that's any different than Lost where the whole half back of the season was about the mystery of the hatch and then ended the episode with a POV shot of the hatch without revealing the mystery.

That was bad and made lots of people mad too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Lost Hatch thing was pretty cool.

That's not what happened with the Walking Dead finale. The whole episode wasn't about who died. It just meandered about going nowhere and then introduced an intense bad guy and ended with a wet fart.

That said, Negan in the show is already way better than the juvenile comic version.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 5, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

That was bad and made lots of people mad too.

Yes but the excellent season premier made up for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought it was pretty hilarious how the hatch was this huge mystery and they spend all this time trying to get in, and later on you find out the place had a loving front door.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I enjoyed last nights Walking Dead. I loved every scene Steven Ogg was in

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
A bunch of shows have ended, I need a new show to watch.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Based on the information provided, you should find one you haven't seen and watch it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tenzarin posted:

Watch Mr Robot. If you've seen it, watch it again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watched

Better Call Saul,
Walking Dead,
Limitless,
Mr Roboto,
Fear the walking dead,
Rewatched breaking bad,
The last ship season one was awful,
Sleepy hollow was awful,
all sunny seasons,
American dad,
Gold rush

I have a feeling all superhero shows are just riding the coattails of movies they arn't.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 5, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

12 Monkey's.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GreenNight posted:

12 Monkey's.

Watched half of it, it sucked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

I enjoyed last nights Walking Dead. I loved every scene Steven Ogg was in

Trevor? Is he a new character or was that a one off?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Tenzarin posted:

New season of House of Cards is pretty good.

American Crime was really good this season and probably flew under your radar?

Grandfathered is a lot better than it looked like it would be.

Transparent is really good (though the second season gets pretty weird toward the end) and nobody in TVIV seems to watch it either.

American Crime Story is a lot of fun, You're the Worst is coming back soon and last season was really good, The Grinder is pretty solid, It's Always Sunny just wrapped another season, Archer just came back...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Watched

The last ship season one was awful,

I think that's a good show, season one wasn't great but it was entertaining enough to get me to watch season 2 which I thought was a big improvement. Fun corny action show.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GreenNight posted:

TWD basically spun it's wheels

GreenNight posted:

12 Monkey's.

'Sufferin' 'succota'sh!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FadingChord posted:

You're the Worst is coming back soon

Is it? The last season just ended in December.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tenzarin posted:

rectify

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished watching Breaking Bad yesterday and thought Jesse's story arc kind of just ended abruptly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The OJ simpson show is fantastic.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Outlander is pretty loving brutal if you want a historical drama that's super violent.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

muscles like this? posted:

I finished watching Breaking Bad yesterday and thought Jesse's story arc kind of just ended abruptly.

No, he drove off to be in Need for Speed!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

less laughter posted:

Is it? The last season just ended in December.

Summer 2016, so it's not like *next week* or anything but that's plenty of time to catch up if you haven't seen any of it.

Mu Zeta posted:

The OJ simpson show is fantastic.

It really is; I started watching it expecting a pretty cheesy but fun campy romp by a bunch of actors who were bigger draws 5-10 years ago but everybody is pulling their weight and the writing is fantastic. The Marcia Clark episode a few weeks ago was probably the best hour of TV I've seen this year but there hasn't really been a dud episode yet.

It would be a crazy unbelievable crime show if it wasn't a true crime thing but I think the worst thing they've done is take a couple creative liberties with the exact timing of a few events.

edit: Oh, and Bojack Horseman is fantastic and not on that list. You have to power through the first third of the first season or so while it finds its footing but then it gets great and keeps it up.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I never started watching The Walking Dead, and I remain convinced it's one of the smartest media consumption decisions I've ever made. lol today in class my professor mentioned that he'd stayed up late to watch it, and it wasn't worth it. The look on his face told the story. It was a very sad look. :smith:
I feel bad for those poor people that feel compelled to stick with a lovely show. It's like the people that kept watching Glee or Dexter all the way to the end. LOOK AT YOUR LIFE LOOK AT YOUR CHOICES. I've quit most of the shows I was regularly watching because they went severely downhill (example: Flash, Arrow), and if I hear they have a legit uptick in quality, I may catch up on my spare time, but I am an unashamed fair weather TV viewer. Life's too short to slog through seasons of bad TV.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Tenzarin posted:

Watched

I have a feeling all superhero shows are just riding the coattails of movies they arn't.

You should give The Americans a go if you haven't seen it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Spatula City posted:

I may catch up on my spare time, but I am an unashamed fair weather TV viewer.

Nothing to be ashamed of, stations drop good shows for no reason and no notice.

ALF ended being Sent Off to be Tortured and Dissected

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
bojack horseman is indeed good yeah

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The final episode of 11.22.63 was really good. The middle was such a drag but almost none of it was of consequence, you could watch the first 2 eps and then the finale and lose almost nothing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

Outlander is pretty loving brutal if you want a historical drama that's super violent.

With kissing and stuff, though.

There is pretty much something for everyone. Except for kids. It's not for kids. And season 2 starts on the 9th!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

FadingChord posted:

It really is; I started watching it expecting a pretty cheesy but fun campy romp by a bunch of actors who were bigger draws 5-10 years ago but everybody is pulling their weight and the writing is fantastic. The Marcia Clark episode a few weeks ago was probably the best hour of TV I've seen this year but there hasn't really been a dud episode yet.

It would be a crazy unbelievable crime show if it wasn't a true crime thing but I think the worst thing they've done is take a couple creative liberties with the exact timing of a few events.

edit: Oh, and Bojack Horseman is fantastic and not on that list. You have to power through the first third of the first season or so while it finds its footing but then it gets great and keeps it up.
American Crime Story is literally killing it. Like it's pretty much tied with Better Call Saul and The Americans right now in recent memory as really loving good TV on right now.

Also yeah the hilarious part about the OJ Simpson trial that even after I watch the episode and look up fact check articles if this show wasn't even remotely rooted in real life man everyone would tear this show apart or immediately label it not worth our time. It's pretty goddamn insane, written by hacks, etc. etc. And I like that they didn't do the onerous poo poo and do the dumb "this is a 10 hour movie" poo poo that shows have been doing recently - and believe you me you could probably get away with it here - they just made each of their 10 episodes about something entirely different about the trial and it works out in the best way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sober posted:

American Crime Story is literally killing it. Like it's pretty much tied with Better Call Saul and The Americans right now in recent memory as really loving good TV on right now.

Also yeah the hilarious part about the OJ Simpson trial that even after I watch the episode and look up fact check articles if this show wasn't even remotely rooted in real life man everyone would tear this show apart or immediately label it not worth our time. It's pretty goddamn insane, written by hacks, etc. etc. And I like that they didn't do the onerous poo poo and do the dumb "this is a 10 hour movie" poo poo that shows have been doing recently - and believe you me you could probably get away with it here - they just made each of their 10 episodes about something entirely different about the trial and it works out in the best way.

Bert Cooper is even the reporter who, after the Furhman tapes are revealed says "You couldn't get away with this in a dime store airport novel"

It really was a complete and utter poo poo-show of a prosecution and the actor playing Darden just nails it with how emotional he gets when confronting the lead attorney about putting Furhman on the stranded and exposing him to charges of perjury. "You wanted a black face, but you didn't want a black voice" was an amazing line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
12 Monkeys is back you lot. Get up on this.

Back to peak Birkhoff now...

• Locked thread