Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A storm with wuffles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I read a quote from GRRM praising Outlander and saying how unhappy he was that it didn't get an Emmy. I was confused about what he saw in it, because I tried to watch the first two episodes when they came out, dismissed them as romance novel trash, and then didn't watch any more.

After reading GRRMs high praise for the show, I went back and watched season 1, and I guess now I know what he sees in it. That is the loving rapiest show on TV. I swear to God, every episode has at least one attempted rape. And there's some fine, explicit torture scenes too. My mind is boggled that there have been so many complaints about GoT's comparatively few rape scenes, and nobody seems to bat am eye at Outlander.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't watch television, n'wah.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The Winds of Spring. Meh. Unless you count this bean burrito I just ate.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SaviourX posted:

The Winds of Spring. Meh. Unless you count this bean burrito I just ate.

Haha same. At least we can get free Denny's on Election Day this year.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

I read a quote from GRRM praising Outlander and saying how unhappy he was that it didn't get an Emmy. I was confused about what he saw in it, because I tried to watch the first two episodes when they came out, dismissed them as romance novel trash, and then didn't watch any more.

After reading GRRMs high praise for the show, I went back and watched season 1, and I guess now I know what he sees in it. That is the loving rapiest show on TV. I swear to God, every episode has at least one attempted rape. And there's some fine, explicit torture scenes too. My mind is boggled that there have been so many complaints about GoT's comparatively few rape scenes, and nobody seems to bat am eye at Outlander.

Maybe he's taking a passive aggressive dig at HBO of Thrones by saying Outlander should get an Emmy cuz Outlander the TV show on a HBO rival network sticks a lot more closely to the Outlander the books source material than his own fantasy book series's TV adaption does.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

a battle with fools

a metaphor for posting on this web zone if I've ever seen one

Usually when one of these chart type things is posted in a thread it just leads to a bunch of people boringly posting their result, props for the rare exception

Saying that I got a wedding of swords, probably prophesying how i get gay married when I'm finally desperate enough to turn prison gay

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

First season of Outlander wasn't too bad, but holy hell did they double down on the rape quota in season 2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I watched 3 episodes of Outlander before realizing it was basically an Adam Sandler movie played 100% straight.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Haha... oh man... mine was... A Dream with Dreams

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pash posted:

Haha... oh man... mine was... A Dream with Dreams

Inception was an OK movie.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
A Wedding for Kings

...that can't be good

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MrSlam posted:

A Wedding for Kings

...that can't be good

Westeros can be surprisingly progressive.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

MrSlam posted:

A Wedding for Kings

...that can't be good

Post Rob Stark + Joffery Fanfiction here? Oh god...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pash posted:

Post Rob Stark + Joffery Fanfiction here? Oh god...

Rob: Joffrey, quite fighting this stupid war with me!
Joffrey: It's not like I like you anyways! Baka! Senpei! Other anime thing!

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 5, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Other anime thing!

"Robbu-saaan!"
*rainbow background splash page with lens flares*
*cherry blossom petals tumbling down*
*graceful glistening tears*

Will Joffu-chan ever get that rubbu-rubbu-kissu?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSlam posted:

that rubbu-rubbu-kissu?
robble robble?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Now I wish the series was heavily inspired by JoJo. That would be worth watching.

E: JoSno, did you plan even this?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

robble robble?

:robble:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

ruddiger posted:

First season of Outlander wasn't too bad, but holy hell did they double down on the rape quota in season 2.

I'm not about to google "outlander rape scenes," but off the top of my head, I can count at least 7 times where rape is at least attempted in Season one. And that's if I only count the last episode as one, which hardly seems fair because it's almost an entire hour devoted to an extended rape/torture event. I haven't watched Season 2, but if they managed to significantly increase the rapes, I'm surprised there's time for anything else.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not making any value judgments about rape scenes on TV, I'm just surprised that I heard such an outcry about every rape scene in GoT and never heard a peep about Outlander.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Game of thrones is quite popular. WTF is an outlander other than another word for n'wah?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm not about to google "outlander rape scenes," but off the top of my head, I can count at least 7 times where rape is at least attempted in Season one. And that's if I only count the last episode as one, which hardly seems fair because it's almost an entire hour devoted to an extended rape/torture event. I haven't watched Season 2, but if they managed to significantly increase the rapes, I'm surprised there's time for anything else.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not making any value judgments about rape scenes on TV, I'm just surprised that I heard such an outcry about every rape scene in GoT and never heard a peep about Outlander.

re: outcry

Ive never seen Outlander, but Im guessing the rape scenes havent consisted of a man raping his twin sister over the dead body of their incest-abomination son.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Game of thrones is quite popular. WTF is an outlander other than another word for n'wah?

outlanders aint poo poo but n'wahs and swits

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've never heard of this Outlander thing but it surely doesn't compare to Outland.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

re: outcry

Ive never seen Outlander, but Im guessing the rape scenes havent consisted of a man raping his twin sister over the dead body of their incest-abomination son.

2nd season has a sadist British officer who whips the male protagonist so brutally, that he falls in love with him, captures him again, rapes him repeatedly and gets so into the protagonist's head that he starts to impress onto him, so even when the male protagonist finally escapes, he can't stop fantasizing about being back with his abuser.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

ruddiger posted:

2nd season has a sadist British officer who whips the male protagonist so brutally, that he falls in love with him, captures him again, rapes him repeatedly and gets so into the protagonist's head that he starts to impress onto him, so even when the male protagonist finally escapes, he can't stop fantasizing about being back with his abuser.

Oh, that's where our accounts of amounts of rape in season 1 vs season 2 differ. That's actually season 1 you're talking about. They did that thing where season 1 was split into two halves, but still considered to be Season 1.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've never heard of this Outlander thing but it surely doesn't compare to Outland.

fetcher

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
ASoIaF: I start all my Tinder conversations by asking for a Hodor Basket

well lookie there.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Haha same. At least we can get free Denny's on Election Day this year.

Is this what it's like... when doves cry?
Also, election day was last year for my country and it ruled.

kcroy posted:

well lookie there.

Grats, man. May we all get one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I got:

The War with Coins.

This year, Ginette Reno is a writer on the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I got:

The War with Coins.

This year, Ginette Reno is a writer on the show.

I too spent a lot of time in 90's arcades.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

The outcry over the rapes in GoT is about how terribly they're handled. When you do things like use rape as a tryhard grimdark background setting, film a rape scene without realizing that it's a rape scene, or defy any and all logic to rape a major character, you are loving terrible at depicting rape. When the source material upon which you base your lovely fanfiction adaptation is easily accessible and contrasts so starkly with your thoughtless depictions, a lot of people are going to notice it.

Maybe Outlander depicts rape more sensitively or gives it gravity beyond one scene's worth of shock value or maybe it sticks closer to its source material so people don't go into the show expecting at least a modicum of care put into it. I wouldn't know. I've never seen nor read Outlander.

Also, it's possible that Outlander just isn't as bad of a show. GoT's mishandling of its rape scenes is just one part of the extensive criticism of it. The show has steadily devolved since the first season to the dumpster fire it is now. It doesn't hold up to any level of scrutiny whereas the books still have idiots like us posting on the internet about them 20 years after the first one came out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

True enough, but at least the TV show will have an ending. I'll take a couple more seasons of garbage television consisting of tits and dragons vs waiting 20 more years for GRRM to write another 1/3 of a book and still not have any conclusion to main storylines. Any port in a storm and what not.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I don't know what this means but you better not be trashing Sean Connery's best movie.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regulus74 posted:

The outcry over the rapes in GoT is about how terribly they're handled. When you do things like use rape as a tryhard grimdark background setting, film a rape scene without realizing that it's a rape scene, or defy any and all logic to rape a major character, you are loving terrible at depicting rape. When the source material upon which you base your lovely fanfiction adaptation is easily accessible and contrasts so starkly with your thoughtless depictions, a lot of people are going to notice it.

Maybe Outlander depicts rape more sensitively or gives it gravity beyond one scene's worth of shock value or maybe it sticks closer to its source material so people don't go into the show expecting at least a modicum of care put into it. I wouldn't know. I've never seen nor read Outlander.

Also, it's possible that Outlander just isn't as bad of a show. GoT's mishandling of its rape scenes is just one part of the extensive criticism of it. The show has steadily devolved since the first season to the dumpster fire it is now. It doesn't hold up to any level of scrutiny whereas the books still have idiots like us posting on the internet about them 20 years after the first one came out.

There's going to be people obsessing over this TV show just like the weirdos who still cry over Firefly and how cruel it was for us to not get 230378943 seasons of space western confederates and how the space south will rise again.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's going to be people obsessing over this TV show just like the weirdos who still cry over Firefly and how cruel it was for us to not get 230378943 seasons of space western confederates and how the space south will rise again.

You're absolutely right, that was poorly worded on my part.

There is enough (read: way too loving much) densely packed detail in the books to keep people picking them apart for years. The show has enough erratic characterizations and gaping plot holes to keep people inventing poo poo to try to make it make sense for years.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Regulus74 posted:

hey, man, i like dumpster fires.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Solice Kirsk posted:

True enough, but at least the TV show will have an ending. I'll take a couple more seasons of garbage television consisting of tits and dragons vs waiting 20 more years for GRRM to write another 1/3 of a book and still not have any conclusion to main storylines. Any port in a storm and what not.

I'm the opposite. I'm kinda sad ASoIaF will never be finished, but I'd take that over some half-assed gently caress-finish cobbled together and consumed due to a misplaced feeling of obligation and/or greed. Closure is overrated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the ending of the Sopranos. That fills my "no closure" quota for entertainment forever.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm the opposite. I'm kinda sad ASoIaF will never be finished, but I'd take that over some half-assed gently caress-finish cobbled together and consumed due to a misplaced feeling of obligation and/or greed. Closure is overrated.

Congratulations, you'll have it both ways! The first by way of the books, and the second by way of the series :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked the ending of the Sopranos. That fills my "no closure" quota for entertainment forever.
I dunno what sort of closure people were expecting - the sopranos ending was pretty appropriate given the tone of the show. I liked it.