Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Ok I take back what I said earlier and this game is more difficult than BoI and NT combined once you get down to level 3+. The number of bullets on the screen is rivaling Japanese Bullet Hell games.

That giveaway on the gungeonners website is only for PC right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Managed to make it to level 5 pretty much solely on the back of a certain "Crescent Crossbow" I found early on that filled entire rooms with stars. Pretty tough game so far, I like it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man, some of the gimmick guns are just, really really bad against bosses. I think the most effective gun I've found so far was just a boring revolver.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The wall and tank are quite a bit harder than the other bosses

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone manage to do the Abbey of the True Gun yet? I tried it once, but the boss there doesn't gently caress around.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Anyone having trouble with the game freezing? I was hooping to play this on my notebook but I can't even get past the starting tutorial before the game freezes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Isaac-likes are a genre that's mostly been untouched until now, and what is out there has mostly been garbage. There's a few other Isaac clones I've tried, and except for Nuclear Throne they're horribly made. I was even dreading the dodge roll mechanic because of how clunky it was in Our Darker Purpose. Enter the Gungeon is stylish and everything from shooting to rolling to the enemy animations is as smooth as I'd want it to be. The teleport system is amazing, there's times I don't go back for important items in Isaac because backtracking takes forever.

I wish health pickups were slightly more common. The major way to get health increases is to defeat a boss without getting hit, which no one is going to do (yet) without getting lucky with gun drops. I think heart containers should be locked behind some other mechanic, but that's just my opinion on it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Does this game have any permanent upgrades possible or choices early beyond the 4 starting layouts?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Four hours in, and while I get the Binding of Isaac / Nuclear Throne comparisons, the one thing this game misses big time is real, meaningful player power. It is almost as if the game is afraid to make the player powerful. A lot of the guns just flat out bore me. Someone earlier said that the most powerful gun they`ve encountered was a revolver and I have to agree. Certainly there are going to be better unlocks as I progress but at least in BoI the player could reasonably win with no unlocks at all. I don`t feel like that could happen with this game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

are there any unlockable characters?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What do you do with empty alter rooms? I've never seen one with a working alter in my playthroughs

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is my new favorite smaller fun game over Nuclear Throne and Deathstate. Isaac was always too slow for my tastes. I keep forgetting to use my blanks on bosses.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

are there any unlockable characters?

There appear to only be two. You can read how to unlock them here. Good loving luck, though

http://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Gungeoneers

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

What do you do with empty alter rooms? I've never seen one with a working alter in my playthroughs

poemdexter posted:

There's one altar I think you're talking about that requires you to put a specific item on it. That item is found in a secret area.

HINT:
find a way to put out the fire in the fireplace..

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

parthenocarpy posted:

Four hours in, and while I get the Binding of Isaac / Nuclear Throne comparisons, the one thing this game misses big time is real, meaningful player power. It is almost as if the game is afraid to make the player powerful. A lot of the guns just flat out bore me. Someone earlier said that the most powerful gun they`ve encountered was a revolver and I have to agree. Certainly there are going to be better unlocks as I progress but at least in BoI the player could reasonably win with no unlocks at all. I don`t feel like that could happen with this game.

I dunno, I've found some reasonably powerful "weird" weapons, but all the strong ones seem to be confined to the huge chests/flawlessing bosses/expensive at store. For the "normal" guns you get out of brown chests, the revolvers and SMGs are almost always gonna be the more powerful of the lot.

Edit: Crossbow + piercing is the best combination I've found on the first floor so far, it doesn't seem projectiles lose damage from passing through stuff.

Edit: Neat, if you're playing Huntress, the dog will warn you against Mimics.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 5, 2016

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

parthenocarpy posted:

There appear to only be two. You can read how to unlock them here. Good loving luck, though

http://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Gungeoneers

huh for me it says they'll be 'revealed when the game is released'

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Einwand posted:

Man, some of the gimmick guns are just, really really bad against bosses. I think the most effective gun I've found so far was just a boring revolver.
The prototype railgun kills the poo poo out of every boss

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This game owns. The item descriptions/lore rules

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Weapons like The Judge / Mailbox are awesome, I just wish I could move the ammo indicator to use it better

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there any way to turn off using blanks when pressing both sticks? I remapped blanks but it seems like the original bind for it can't be switched off.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
I'm gonna get mad for a second, why don't any of these cool games have online multiplayer?! Is it seriously that hard to get someone to figure out the networking bits?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've found a new best weapon. It's bees.
Also I'm guessing that "old armor" in the first secret level is what I need to somehow bring to the altar in the second floor?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wasn't sure if this game would be decent or not, but I love me some shooters, so I waited it out. Everybody here seemed to be liking it and the reviews were great on Steam, so I picked it up.

My only regret is that I only had enough time to get through the tutorial before I had to go to work. :saddowns: I see most people who mention a control type are playing with a controller. Is that appreciably better than keyboard and mouse? I've got a 360 controller I use, but I didn't seem to have any problems with the keyboard controls while doing the tutorial. I wouldn't mind being able to rebind some of my buttons to use side mouse buttons (like for Blanks), but I may have just overlooked the option in the 5 minutes I had to play. Definitely seems fun, though. I can't wait to get to play it more.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TacMan posted:

I'm gonna get mad for a second, why don't any of these cool games have online multiplayer?! Is it seriously that hard to get someone to figure out the networking bits?

Networking is hard + bullet hell games like this doesn't leave a lot of room for latency.

Edit: The Betrayer's Shield is really good for bosses. Decent damage, and the shield it generates on reload is a lifesaver.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TacMan posted:

Networking in games is hard and if you don't build your game from the ground up with networking, it's almost impossible to throw it in later down the road. Twitchy bullet hell games like this just exacerbate the lag problem.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I can't wait to play this when I get back from work so I'm passing the time by trying to top "I See Lead People" as the worst pun I can come up with.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Zaodai posted:

Wasn't sure if this game would be decent or not, but I love me some shooters, so I waited it out. Everybody here seemed to be liking it and the reviews were great on Steam, so I picked it up.

My only regret is that I only had enough time to get through the tutorial before I had to go to work. :saddowns: I see most people who mention a control type are playing with a controller. Is that appreciably better than keyboard and mouse? I've got a 360 controller I use, but I didn't seem to have any problems with the keyboard controls while doing the tutorial. I wouldn't mind being able to rebind some of my buttons to use side mouse buttons (like for Blanks), but I may have just overlooked the option in the 5 minutes I had to play. Definitely seems fun, though. I can't wait to get to play it more.

I can't play Nuclear Throne with a controller because it feels impossible to aim to me. However, Gungeon has been a dream so far on my PS4. I only assume keyboard/mouse would be easier, but playing with a controller is completely doable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
After trying it for a little bit I think playing on controller is mildly worse because you can't aim as finely. Not hugely, but noticeably.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

IronicDongz posted:

After trying it for a little bit I think playing on controller is mildly worse because you can't aim as finely. Not hugely, but noticeably.

Nuclear Throne had the same issue. I was still able to beat it on PS4 but given that this looks to be harder given more bullet hell, I'm a little worried for my DS4 controller...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

IronicDongz posted:

That's the one thing I was concerned about. The game still felt plenty fluid with a keyboard, and right click as your dive roll isn't really cumbersome or anything. I'll just stick with KB/M then. Thanks guys.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up an item that ``revealed`` secret rooms, but never found one. Does anyone know how this item works?

Einwand posted:

I've found a new best weapon. It's bees.
Also I'm guessing that "old armor" in the first secret level is what I need to somehow bring to the altar in the second floor?

Wait until you get The Stinger

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

parthenocarpy posted:

I picked up an item that ``revealed`` secret rooms, but never found one. Does anyone know how this item works?

The cash brick or whatever? If there's a secret wall somewhere there'll be a rather conspicious thing infront of it, you still have to burn a blank or have an explosive weapon maybe? to get into it, and they usually just have a small pickup like a heart or something from what I've seen so far.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Einwand posted:

The cash brick or whatever? If there's a secret wall somewhere there'll be a rather conspicious thing infront of it, you still have to burn a blank or have an explosive weapon maybe? to get into it, and they usually just have a small pickup like a heart or something from what I've seen so far.

I have only been inside one secret room after six hours of play and had to blow a blank to get in. It was pretty obvious that the room was behind that wall. However when I got the cash brick I went along all the outer rooms and still found nothing. Unless secret rooms are not guaranteed I just missed it whatever indicator it gave me.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone figured out what this room is for? Never generated any enemies in the few times I`ve seen it

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

parthenocarpy posted:

Has anyone figured out what this room is for? Never generated any enemies in the few times I`ve seen it

dodge roll from one cart to another.

breaks
May 12, 2001

So is there a good strategy for dealing with Ammoconda? Even when I kill it, it seems significantly harder than the other bosses I've run into so far. I tried shooting the egg things that it heals up off of but they didn't seem to die even after quite a bit of gettin shot, but maybe I just need to shoot them more?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I sold my soul to the devil for some ammo.

Edit: Haha, if you're using the Eye of the Beholster gun, it blinks "Behold!" instead of "Reload" when you're out of ammo.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

bloodychill posted:

Nuclear Throne had the same issue. I was still able to beat it on PS4 but given that this looks to be harder given more bullet hell, I'm a little worried for my DS4 controller...

I don't know if there's an item or not that does this but I wish there was a laser pointer of indicator of the general directions your shots will go when using a controller since KB/M gets a crosshair.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

You can dodge/jump into the wagons, and they'll drive in a specific path where you have to jump from wagon to wagon. It sounds like a huge gamble, but it's very forgiving, and you can just stop the wagons right before you dogdge. You get some pretty dope loot at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Lakbay posted:

I don't know if there's an item or not that does this but I wish there was a laser pointer of indicator of the general directions your shots will go when using a controller since KB/M gets a crosshair.

There's a laser pointer item that drops but yah, a set of crosshairs would be nice. Maybe it's in the options? I haven't checked.