Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

tooterfish posted:

Why does the scope of a space laser gun have markings for compensating for bullet drop and wind speed?

Because in this space game you may be also fighting on a gas giant, where gravity will be sixteen times more than that of earth. So you will need a high resolution bullet drop marker to account for the turbulent wind generated from the exhaust blast of the reclaimer you are hiding next to.

Edit my other catte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Why does the scope of a space laser gun have markings for compensating for bullet drop and wind speed?

because its bird hunting rifle to be used in atmosphere where wind might affect laser fire.
Tldr: immersion and fidelity

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dusty Lens posted:

The original sandwich board post with the fat trimmed off. Just for references sake.

i have added nothing to the conversation :emo:. Still nice to have a reminder every once in a while. I'm still a little shell-shocked from like 40 pages ago.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey Ben,

Remember this? Remember how we gave you some advice on how to moderate the community and provide clear, concise rules so that the expectations were well established and the toxicity of the community was mitigated? Remember how we started to do this after your community was posting racist and homophobic content, and how a few months after you closed the thread that controversy popped up where your community was posting incredibly hateful and sexist comments towards one of our own members? Remember how, when that happened, you decided the best course of action was to outright blame us and explain how Lauresh's ban was justified because she was angrily flagging hateful messages? Remember how the community you created and managed became so toxic that they attacked someone with cancer for asking why Star Citizen wasn't playable?

I hope so, because it's your fault.

It's not so much of a case of Ben making bad decisions as community manager, it's the fact that a gigantic fanboy is completely and utterly unsuitable for a position like that. The purpose of a community manager is to maintain a civilized and friendly community and to ensure that no one opinion is able to drown out everything else. It's just not possible for someone in Ben's position to perform that role.

It's the Chris Roberts attitude towards everything it seems. Why can't we just make our biggest fan run the forums? Why can't we just write the game without a defined scope? Why can't we just make it an MMO? Why can't I just say yes to this cool sounding suggestion about procedurally generated wildlife? Why can't I unapprove anything I want if I decide I don't like it?

All his professional life Chris Roberts has been told "no" by publishers and bosses who actually know what they're doing, but he's never absorbed any of the reasons behind it. Finally he's got all the money in the world and no accountability, time to do all those awesome things that the publishers always said no to!

He's like a kid that's always been told that he can't just eat cake all the time but he's never really thought about why. Well now the kid is alone in the house and he's been stuffing his face with cake for hours. He still thinks it's a great idea and the grown ups are fools for not realising. What could possibly go wrong?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

rip Call of Duty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3vBE22P4I

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

With VR support for both Oculus and Vive no less.

Tested's new Vive video gives me a virtual boner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDBp6OnsKY&feature=youtu.be

Oculus Home being always connected to Facebook with full permissions on my computer kills that boner. http://uploadvr.com/facebook-oculus-privacy/

On another note, has anyone heard from or seen the cute girl everyone liked in the 1st ep of that Lore Builder series? I'm worried about her since she got so much attention from the sausages and they've just had lame dudes ever since. I'm afraid she's in mortal danger if she's not already buried in the desert. :ohdear:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thoatse posted:

On another note, has anyone heard from or seen the cute girl everyone liked in the 1st ep of that Lore Builder series? I'm worried about her since she got so much attention from the sausages and they've just had lame dudes ever since. I'm afraid she's in mortal danger if she's not already buried in the desert. :ohdear:

she showed up in a few other vids, with lighting notably worse. then she was replaced for the video segments.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/325344/i-m-new-and-disappointed

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6538459/#Comment_6538459

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/McEvedy

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Time for a "almost another 1k pages" Photoshop retrospective, folks! Here's the contributions I made!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Thoatse posted:

Tested's new Vive video gives me a virtual boner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDBp6OnsKY&feature=youtu.be

Oculus Home being always connected to Facebook with full permissions on my computer kills that boner. http://uploadvr.com/facebook-oculus-privacy/

Was she only in ep 1 of that? I thought people were just joking that she wouldn't be allowed to do that anymore. I can't make myself watch that poo poo so I don't know.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Thoatse posted:

Can you use the Rift without a Facebook account?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

In a thread full with photos of faces of immense punchability, Ryan Archer has my vote for strongest fist magnet

More than that twerp who always wears bowties?

Beet Wagon posted:

the "Bobbit worm" as it's commonly called is a marine worm capable of reaching around ten feet in length. It lives in burrows in sand and corals, and is an ambush predator. It is notable for the gigantic loving blades it has for a mouth, which it uses to literally cut fish in half if they get too close.

https://vimeo.com/28280553

I read somewhere its bite can cause permanent numbness. Might be bollocks but it seems about right for an evil worm.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

moveable shape posted:

Interesting stuff, is the raw data available somewhere? What was the method used to collect this? I wish I had the foresight to set up a bot to scrap forum metrics from day 1 of this mess

A list of users was scraped from the RSI forums general chat. The user forum profiles and citizen dossiers were then scraped to extract their backer title (which can sometimes differ between the two for reasons I don't entirely understand). I think about 10% of users had titles that didn't directly correspond to monetary levels. Min/max funding levels for backer titles were taken from the list at wikia. If the profile and dossier backer titles differed, the tone that corresponded to a higher monetary amount was selected.

It might be interesting to rescrape a few months from now (assuming CIG is still a going concern) and see how the existing userbase has evolved.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Ash1138 posted:

Crossposting from the Elite thread because I had no idea that the objects in each system actually orbit (and if there's more than one star, they orbit around each other!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EzfqeFgKw

Fantastic Vid. Reminds me of a old series called the trip on channel 4.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Xaerael posted:

Time for a "almost another 1k pages" Photoshop retrospective, folks! Here's the contributions I made!

I think the Atari Shitizen one is still one of my favorites from the thread. If everyone can just post a retrospective of their best post, it'll make my job as secret reddit archivist thread historian much easier

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ideate posted:

uhh okay

If they have another person in the facebook profile most people have their SO or if foreveralone their catte. Sandi has the most famous person she paid to hang out with.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Berious posted:

If they have another person in the facebook profile most people have their SO or if foreveralone their catte. Sandi has the most famous person she paid to hang out with.

That might actually be why Gary Oldman is distancing himself from this project. We thought it was due to :gary: and all along Sandi chased him away. Protip, Sandi: real actors can smell your type a mile away.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Did we ever figure out was next to the katana on the floor?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Thoatse posted:

last I saw of her.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Berious posted:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

boviscopophobic posted:

A list of users was scraped from the RSI forums general chat. The user forum profiles and citizen dossiers were then scraped to extract their backer title (which can sometimes differ between the two for reasons I don't entirely understand). I think about 10% of users had titles that didn't directly correspond to monetary levels. Min/max funding levels for backer titles were taken from the list at wikia. If the profile and dossier backer titles differed, the tone that corresponded to a higher monetary amount was selected.

It might be interesting to rescrape a few months from now (assuming CIG is still a going concern) and see how the existing userbase has evolved.

You can pick which title to display on your account profile page. Some users probably have them set lower or different (like Golden Ticket shows up as an alternative option I see).

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

SerCypher posted:

It's just a video game forum broham :c

Not worth wishing death over.

Don't wish death upon him, more just a lifetime of misery & financial insolvency.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Don't wish death upon him, more just a lifetime of misery & financial insolvency.

Alright I'll take it.

I kind of hope Chris goes to jail. For a long time.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
We're only a few pages away from 3000 why isn't everyone :justpost:ing

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Terebus posted:

It'd bed time and I'll miss it like I've missed every thread milestone :sigh:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Terebus posted:

And such

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/324044/the-importance-cig-making-ships-very-expensive-in-the-pu/p8

Obviously this guy is a game developer.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Terebus posted:

I keep squeezing but it's just cheeto dust coming out now.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
WANG'S

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I am going to prime my most powerful anime post yet. It will be truly fearsome.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

My head hurts. Thanks.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

I think Beer or AP mentioned that posters can select their display rank, so maybe the dossier is the always the highest rank achieved?

I'm way to loving lazy but it would be interesting to pull all available post history and map behavior trends across time/backer ranks and the relationships (I guess only from quoting or tagging in posts) between posters. Wonder how much post history is available; do you know if they archive, delete or hide old posts?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just doing my civic doodie.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Star Citizen: Not a requirement at all

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, totally, if you were designing starcraft 3 the first thing you would do is simply start selling the three headed mega colossus unit for $20 and advertise its attack power and movement speed on your website next to some concept art. There's no possible way that this could interfere with the gameplay because you've not designed any of that yet!

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Quote wrong post lol!

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

So on that planet, what would bi-monthly be then?

:allears:

Two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBtM5NHqtr8
Wait, this isn't ATX from the thread is it?

• Locked thread