Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
My favorite parts were the parts with lord English, and also the parts with the Felt. Cans and Dad and Lord English crashing around all over the place was excellent and reminded me of the parts of Homestuck I liked the most. The Undertale bit got a chuckle out of me.

The rest of it was pretty neat, a lot of the guest art felt a little out of place, but maybe when the youtube video gets replaced with an embedded flash file it'll feel more at home. Some of the music transitions seemed pretty awkward. Overall I'd say it was good but it wasn't up there with the greats. I'd probably like it a heck of a lot more if I were as into Homestuck as a was a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

net cafe scandal posted:

The anticlimax was ending with Condesce getting jobbed... can someone do a full rundown of her powers? I liked it overall though.

I think she had all of the troll powers from all the different blood colors so,

Levitation, psychokinesis, animal communion, mind control (on susceptible trolls), sleep (on susceptible humans) laserbeam eyes, and i think that's it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*insanely TV/IV voice* the err writing was bad, and hamfisted

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I loved all the hilarious uses of perfectly generic objects. Those were wonderful. And I agree, Jade being consistently drawn cute reduced the impact a bit. Hussie picked who he wanted, though.

God, that was kinetic. It was worth the wait.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I really don't understand the 'some characters got sidelined' complaint. Every character got to do something cool or badass, but not everyone got the finishing blow on a villain, because there weren't enough to go around.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mazerunner posted:

I really don't understand the 'some characters got sidelined' complaint. Every character got to do something cool or badass

Karkat

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
He beat Clover!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Color Printer posted:

The really weird thing is that this isn't even the first internet cartoon/comic starting with "Homest" that uploaded a super-long toon to YouTube this month because it was too big for a browser Flash

Holy poo poo! Thanks for the heads up about the new Homestar runner cartoon bro!

Seriously, thank you.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Only person to best clover.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Karkat beat Clover that is something no one else has managed.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I thought I was over homestuck but I am feeling so many feelings right now.

e: I am also totally surprised gamzee is still in that fridge

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Only person to best clover.

He was also the first into the fray against LE. Even though he got jobbed instantly that's still p. excellent.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Do you have any idea how loving thrilled he's going to be about beating up Clover

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mazerunner posted:

I really don't understand the 'some characters got sidelined' complaint. Every character got to do something cool or badass, but not everyone got the finishing blow on a villain, because there weren't enough to go around.

The incredibly badass moment of punching a tiny leprechaun who was doing nothing but dancing on top of you while you were crying.

Also Jade who did absolutely nothing but get put back to sleep.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

i wanna see more fraymotifs, those were badass

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

paranoid randroid posted:

*insanely TV/IV voice* the err writing was bad, and hamfisted

There's no real writing to criticize

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

There's no real writing to criticize

youre still being a huge drag, my man

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think she had all of the troll powers from all the different blood colors so,

Levitation, psychokinesis, animal communion, mind control (on susceptible trolls), sleep (on susceptible humans) laserbeam eyes, and i think that's it

She could of used mind control on Kanaya and made her fight Rose, which would have distracted Roxy. Nice fail.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The incredibly badass moment of punching a tiny leprechaun who was doing nothing but dancing on top of you while you were crying.

Also Jade who did absolutely nothing but get put back to sleep.

I'll agree on Jade I guess, but she did set up PM's moment.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lets do the first ever homestuck thread fraymotif: somebody put Toxxupation in a headlock and Ill punch him in the nuts.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

net cafe scandal posted:

She could of used mind control on Kanaya and made her fight Rose, which would have distracted Roxy. Nice fail.

kanaya isn't as susceptible, it only works on doofuses like karkat and tavros

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What are people's thoughts about Serenity as Firefly of Space? Did her appearance at all the various battles turn the tide?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

The anticlimax was ending with Condesce getting jobbed... can someone do a full rundown of her powers? I liked it overall though.

The Condesce? Well basically she has every troll psychic power available across the entire hemospectrum. She can levitate things and fire psionic blasts with yellowblood powers (presumably she can also lift things with rust powers but it's weaker), she can use cerulean powers to mind control carapacians and trolls below green (maybe including green?) and, with concentration, put a human to sleep. She can use brownblood powers to control animals, and use them in tandem with cerulean powers to control Jade. Maybe she has indigo powers? We don't really know what they do to trolls and they only give humans bad dreams, so. Finally her natural fuschia blood makes her very long lived and durable.

Color Printer posted:

The really weird thing is that this isn't even the first internet cartoon/comic starting with "Homest" that uploaded a super-long toon to YouTube this month because it was too big for a browser Flash

Well H*R has been looking to move away from flash since it apparently has a lot of security holes that Adobe isn't good about fixing. Whole toon about it and everything. They said they didn't want to move to a format that prohibited the use of easter eggs, but what can you do?This might be the way of things now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

That moment where PM just decided to cut his arm off could have just been something that happened in their fight. No joke, take Jade out of the whole thing and the fight still follows perfectly.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mazerunner posted:

it seemed like she was trying to get the two of them to stop fighting / keep them busy
i wonder if PM knows that the mayor lives

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I honestly don't care about power levels or awesome fights or if everyone got their badass moment in the sun, because I long stopped giving even the slightest poo poo about any part of the comic that has to do with direct fighting

Eighteen minutes of that is a big ol zero

That look that Dave gave when he realized he was about to behead dirk was more powerful than all the time powers or god tier whatevers, and it was a one second throwaway moment that was immediately undone

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

That look that Dave gave when he realized he was about to behead dirk was more powerful than all the time powers or god tier whatevers, and it was a one second throwaway moment that was immediately undone
Why is everyone sure that Dirk's beheading has been undone? They teleported away to make sure they weren't caught up in any potential Union Jack beheading-related explosion, not to immediately un-behead Dirk.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Toxxupation posted:

I honestly don't care about power levels or awesome fights or if everyone got their badass moment in the sun, because I long stopped giving even the slightest poo poo about any part of the comic that has to do with direct fighting

i'm glad you got what you wanted out of this update, friend

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
I enjoyed it, was great to see Aradia back in action. It was cool to see Dad kicking rear end and all the different fraymotifs.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That moment where PM just decided to cut his arm off could have just been something that happened in their fight. No joke, take Jade out of the whole thing and the fight still follows perfectly.

The part where she punched Jade in the snout

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whether or not you can immediately hit the undo button on it, it's pretty hosed up to have to behead your alternate universe brotherfather

i like how aradia doesn't even have a stake in the lord english fight, she just pops in because she decided it would be fun to strangle a godslayer for a bit

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair, that's kind of a problem throughout Homestuck. It just really sucks to see it here, at the big moment.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

> PM: Establish superiority.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Whew! So glad I checked MSPA on the old instincts again!

That was great! But! Mostly as a great, fun flash. Lots of humor, great music, very characterful, a good action climax busting out all the special moves and the like...

But yeah, it still only feels like it gets us half of the way we need to go. Caliborn has the Icon, but hasn't done the Caliborn's Masterpiece fight yet. Lord English is still kicking. Alt-Calliope is still drifting to the Green Sun. Jade's out again I guess, but they don't need to worry about her or the Becs anymore since the dangerous one is disarmed (nyuk) and the Condesce is dead. Dirk is dead but it won't keep since we need him for the Masterpiece.

The Lord English fight was pretty much a stalemate that didn't accomplish much but tie him up since Hussie himself decided to mess with Vriska, keeping her from using their secret weapon - Jesus, after all our arguing about her character arc and hubris and whether her plan makes sense and blah blah blah, the author himself shows up and fucks with it. I don't even know how to interpret that. My best guess is Hussie is cheekily delaying that outcome because he figured showing the kids going from their current climactic battles to their fight with Caliborn to ending up inside the icon to fighting Lord English was just too far a walk for a single flash, so he needed to spin it out for a bit.

And yeah, the sidelining is a bit of an issue. A lot of characters are just sort of there, as leftovers who it's now clear don't have a plot role to fulfill but might as well get in a few shots in the battles anyway. It's honestly made me realize that for as much as Hussie has a reputation for killing his characters, he could've afforded to kill a whole lot more of them a whole lot more definitively before now if they were just going to clutter up the climax. Kanaya and Karkat both have important troll-race-preserving responsibilities in the epilogue and they're both love-interests for the kids but otherwise they're just present. Jake and the Felt (and Dad and ARQuiusprite I guess) were a deliberate comedy gong-show. Jade's bit was pretty eh and ineffective.

But all that aside (and it's a lot aside), that was a great flash. So much stuff! The Undertale joke! Kanaya's little makeup breaks during the fraymotifs! The fraymotifs! Roxy's cube-making power! It's all so great. I'm sure once we all get the "Wow a big flash!" reactions out of our system we'll be able to start talking about how well this actually works and see how the rest of Homestuck goes.

Edit: I imagine most big reaction posts like these never get read when we collectively cough up like 50 of them after a flash, but it's just good to get out that initial outburst anyway.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 6, 2016

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Current probably dead for keeps:
Davepetasprite

Davepetasprite got knocked out in an undertale reference, and their soul didn't break.

Toxxupation posted:

Honestly mostly agree, though I don't think completely undone or throwaway.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Also so much for Dirk's unbreakable katana. Apparently the power of Wales beats all that poo poo.

I wish the fraymotifs had gotten names, like the only one I remember seeing used before, Adagio Redshift.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Why is everyone sure that Dirk's beheading has been undone? They teleported away to make sure they weren't caught up in any potential Union Jack beheading-related explosion, not to immediately un-behead Dirk.

Jane still has a res for Dirk, and Dirk shows up in the fight against Caliborn.

That's not the point though. It's still a big step in Dave's characterization to even do that, to be the Piccollo to Dirk's Goku, when he's said he hates blood and fighting and being the hero. Think back to going godtier- noone besides Caliborn was able to just commit suicide, even knowing they'd come back.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

yeah I know what you're talking about but it would be perfectly believable and fine if PM, as the good guy, had just finally gotten the upperhand in her fight and beat Dog Jack on her own. The Jade distraction really just feels like an excuse to have something for Jade to do. She feels like a complete afterthought in this.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JT Jag posted:

Why is everyone sure that Dirk's beheading has been undone?

Have you...read the same webcomic I have? A main plot arc of this act was undoing thing that have already been done via literal retcon powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dolash posted:

Edit: I imagine most big reaction posts like these never get read when we collectively cough up like 50 of them after a flash, but it's just good to get out that initial outburst anyway.

I read the whole thing