Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ryuga Death posted:

Is D4 worth picking up?

it's extremely good but as a fair warning, swery's games are usually really polarizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deakul posted:

Agreed about the very weird and janky contextual stealth, disagreed about everything else!

Having loads of fun collecting stuff and getting voiced lore dumps from them and I like shooting arrows at stuff!
Also, the tombs are just great.

Yeah I'm having a great time with Tomb Raider. I normally hate collectathons but I've put in 15 hours so far and I haven't even cleared most of the Geothermal Valley yet. The tombs are all fun to explore, the platforming and combat elements are well-done, and the visuals are fantastic. My only complaint is that the game keeps giving me weapons that aren't bows. It's definitely the first new game in a long while that I could stand to put 2+ hours into at a time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

Is D4 worth picking up?

Yes, as long as you can live with the fact that it ends on a massive cliffhanger

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm starting to warm up to Tomb Raider. I think I just need to ignore the sidequests. It's all filler and even though they give you rewards it's not really worth it.

Story is still crap though. I just don't care about the reverent.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ShadowMar posted:

could also have been CSGO/DOTA 2/TF2/etc items

I'm hoping he just saved the info on steam and got his credit card stolen trying to hat baron. He had to get the money to feed his other habit of vaping and defending shooters from the ghost of Jack Thompson.

Accordion Man posted:

Should have waited for the Christmas sale.

The purchases apparently went from October to December, so at least he got in on the Autumn sale. :shepspends:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone play Shellshock Live at all? Looks like a fun modern Scorched Earth, and lord knows I spent a lot of time on that game as a kid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jamfrost posted:

Onboard graphics only.

Ain't a State in the country would enforce that law.... well, maybe Texas.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone play Shellshock Live at all? Looks like a fun modern Scorched Earth, and lord knows I spent a lot of time on that game as a kid.

all the reviews say the community is terrible. might be fun if you have some friends to play with?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHI36d-QtqU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I bought a steam controller. I pretty much hate it. I guess I'd use it if I didn't have the ability to use a PS4 controller instead with some extra programs and drivers. It sucks for rocket league, it sucks for dark souls, it sucks for everything. Whatever It was half price and I put it in the corner to forget about it.

It is not turned on, and steam swears up and down to me that it is not in big picture mode, but every time I start a game it shows me a pop up for big picture mode on how to turn on the steam overlay by pressing the steam button on the steam controller. Every time I go into steam overlay literally every part of this UI is disabled to the mouse because it wants me to click it with the controller.

Someone messaged me. I want to talk to them. I mouse over and click on the ugly dumb idiot UI that indicates I have incoming messages and it farts an error noise at me. fartfartfartfartfart. I click on settings fart fart fart fart fart. No loving explanation. Nothing. Nothing here is clickable. I'm going to eat my own hand.

How do I fix this horseshit? I don't know how to turn off big picture mode because it says big picture mode is not on. When I try I just end up turning it on. And then off. And the ugly UI is still there. What the gently caress do I need to do to put my steam the way it was two days ago?

e: Okay so I figured out on a wild rear end hunch before I even clicked post that if I disconnect the dongle it goes away but I still wanted to complain because god, drat, did this piss me off.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hoo-haa!

Awesome! posted:

all the reviews say the community is terrible. might be fun if you have some friends to play with?

It's a multiplayer game, the community being bad is basically a given.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

I bought a steam controller
fartfartfartfartfart

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Krinkle posted:

e: Okay so I figured out on a wild rear end hunch before I even clicked post that if I disconnect the dongle it goes away but I still wanted to complain because god, drat, did this piss me off.
I thought the steam controller sounded bad but "forced into big picture mode" is a new level of bad I unaware of.

I'm not even saying big picture mode is just WHHYYYYYY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/413420/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_4

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I thought the steam controller sounded bad but "forced into big picture mode" is a new level of bad I unaware of.

I'm not even saying big picture mode is just WHHYYYYYY

It doesn't. If it's on when you start a game, the big picture overlay will be on, but if the controller isn't on, it isn't. And when you quit the game, it'll be back to normal.

Krinkle posted:

I bought a steam controller. I pretty much hate it.

It's way different than a standard controller and definitely isn't like you're picking up an xbox controller and used to PS4 kind of different. It takes some getting used to, I like it for Rocket League more than my 360. I use it for most games except those where camera is on the right stick. I haven't found a good balance for being able to be precise but also quickly turn yet.

But it also just might not be for you, and that's fine too.

I'd buy mine again, and if I had to choose only one 360 vs Steam, I'd go with the Steam controller because of it's versatility. But having a pair is way better.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Awesome! posted:

making a vr game right now has shocking similarities to making an ouya game
I watched those Vive presentation videos on Steam and they gave me immediate Wii/Kinect flashbacks. People trying so hard to have fun together, let's clap our hands, kumbaya my lord. I'm not rejecting the idea as a whole mind you as I'm sure there are some good vr games upcoming and some of the existing games could benefit greatly from it . Just most of what they showed looked like tech demos and overall crappy ouya-level games that you will launch once never to open again.

I guess it's like every other launch day.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Palpek posted:

I watched those Vive presentation videos on Steam and they gave me immediate Wii/Kinect flashbacks. People trying so hard to have fun together, let's clap our hands, kumbaya my lord. I'm not rejecting the idea as a whole mind you as I'm sure there are some good vr games upcoming and some of the existing games could benefit greatly from it . Just most of what they showed looked like tech demos and overall crappy ouya-level games that you will launch once never to open again.

It looks terrible. It's also going to flop terribly until tech becomes available which won't require big bulky headsets (which no one will want to wear once the novelty wears off).

Plugging in a controller for some games is annoying enough. No one wants to wear this uncomfortable poo poo on their head too when they're effectively trying to relax for awhile.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I'm having a great time with Tomb Raider. I normally hate collectathons but I've put in 15 hours so far and I haven't even cleared most of the Geothermal Valley yet. The tombs are all fun to explore, the platforming and combat elements are well-done, and the visuals are fantastic. My only complaint is that the game keeps giving me weapons that aren't bows. It's definitely the first new game in a long while that I could stand to put 2+ hours into at a time.
Rising owns bones and is like a 1.5 version of the first one, bigger, better and more fun. Even the locations are more breathtaking. If people don't like doing stealth they don't have to do it as the game offers fully functional combat which is improved from the first one. Overall it's one of those big, fully-realised, polished AAA+ releases that are a blast to play.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I begged for and got a vr headset for my super nintendo from some idiot catalog that wasn't skymall but was exactly as lovely and all it was, was a stupid early 90s LCD screens one inch from your eyeballs and a stick on a clip that you'd clip to your shirt and if you turned your head left or right it would rotate a dumb gimbal on the side of the headset which would then "press" the left or right button for you. You still had to play the game with your hands anyway and it did not make a 3d effect at all like the vitual boy display at the mall. It was so loving dumb I'm permenantly soiled on any 3d tech. These helmets are dumb and my eyes hurt just thinking about them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

At least motion controls gave us some hilarious trade show presentations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYtH28esTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_Bd-13YCk

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Krinkle posted:

It was so loving dumb I'm permenantly soiled on any 3d tech. These helmets are dumb and my eyes hurt just thinking about them.

Luddites like you make me sick. VR is the future. It's inevitable. I already spent $2500 on top-of-the-line hardware to make sure I'll get the ultimate experience. It'll be different this time, it'll be unlike anything you can even imagine, because sunken cost fallacy

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The White Dragon posted:

Luddites like you make me sick. VR is the future. It's inevitable. I already spent $2500 on top-of-the-line hardware to make sure I'll get the perfect launch day experience. It'll be different this time, it'll be unlike anything you can even imagine, because sunken cost fallacy

Wake me up when they put a spike in my brain matrix style and I don't have to get lasik to appreciate it.

e: I didn't get you were joking but then I got you were joking. I was real distracted by squinting at this video game with my old man eyes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Palpek posted:

Rising owns bones and is like a 1.5 version of the first one, bigger, better and more fun. Even the locations are more breathtaking. If people don't like doing stealth they don't have to do it as the game offers fully functional combat which is improved from the first one. Overall it's one of those big, fully-realised, polished AAA+ releases that are a blast to play.

I try to be stealthy until I get spotted, and then I just blow everybody up with explosive arrows. It's very fitting and cool that Lara Croft, on her noble quest to end death and suffering, brutally murders about 1,000 foot soldiers using all manner of incendiary devices. The game also improves 100% once you get the grappling hook.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sivek posted:

What game is the splash image of a girl in a VR headset scanning an accordian-robodog supposed to be from? Is it just some stock VR image?

I wanna know more.

the more I look at it, the more I notice she has like four layers of shirts/jackets on.
It's from The Lab, which is a collection of Valve's own VR experiments. It's from a demo called "Vesper Peak" where you play fetch in a scene built using photogrammertry, a method of creating a 3D environment out of lots of photos of a real place.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ryuga Death posted:

Is D4 worth picking up?

If you like Swery's work, absolutely.

It does a few interesting things with the gameplay and the story is bizarre and odd and we're probably never getting a sequel which sucks balls.

Also Enter the Gungeon's claim to be a bullet hell game fall short when most enemies fire one bullet alone, and for the vast majority of bosses, who don't always fire in crazy patterns by sometimes haphazardly, you can literally walk away from bullets and never get hit.

Gatling Gull was a disappointment. Killed him with my starting pistol as the marine, even though I'd found some sort of portable cannon that sucked.

Assuming you do get overwhelmed by bullets you have two options: Dodge roll, or use a "blank" which will destroy all bullets.

Neither of which are bullet hell staples where you usually get a single pixel hitbox and have to memorize it's position all the time because 90% of the time you can't even see your ship.

e: Also that VR trailer on Steam is giving me intense flashbacks to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 6, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Vaping congressman Duncan Hunter is being questioned by the Federal Election Commission because he spend campaign money on Steam games and haven't paid back. He said it was his son using his card to buy stuff.

You can read the FEC's list of his spending. No specific game names, unfortunately. Want to see if he got Huniepop.

Oh no, a whole $1300 :geno:
Like holy poo poo this is so loving pissweak, the only reason this is getting brought up is to poo poo on the guy's campaign.
Now if you excuse me I have a tax-payer funded dinner meeting in a 5-star restaurant, order a few fancy expensive bottles of wine, driving there in a gas-guzzling car that charge the fuel and repairs costs to the government.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 6, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Croccers posted:

Oh no, a whole $1300 :geno:

Yeah, $1300 of campaign money.

Unless he's using Steam as a campaigning tool that's money that has been fraudulently used.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Death to the corrupt, so that anime titties may rise in their stead.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ddraig posted:

If you like Swery's work, absolutely.

It does a few interesting things with the gameplay and the story is bizarre and odd and we're probably never getting a sequel which sucks balls.

Also Enter the Gungeon's claim to be a bullet hell game fall short when most enemies fire one bullet alone, and for the vast majority of bosses, who don't always fire in crazy patterns by sometimes haphazardly, you can literally walk away from bullets and never get hit.

Gatling Gull was a disappointment. Killed him with my starting pistol as the marine, even though I'd found some sort of portable cannon that sucked.

Assuming you do get overwhelmed by bullets you have two options: Dodge roll, or use a "blank" which will destroy all bullets.

Neither of which are bullet hell staples where you usually get a single pixel hitbox and have to memorize it's position all the time because 90% of the time you can't even see your ship.

e: Also that VR trailer on Steam is giving me intense flashbacks to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM

Uh, buddy, this might be a bullet hell but it's also a roguelike. That means it gets harder as it goes on. Try fighting the tank boss on chamber 3 and come back to me about how it isn't bullet hell-ish.

Edit: Also the Blank is basically the same poo poo as bombs, which exist in quite a few bullet hell games, and has basically the same function.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Stick of Truth: 9C*0G-P4YDJ-6P2V5
Nuclear Throne: G7CPE-2*8GA-0NAKE

Missing letter is at the beginning of this sentence

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Threep posted:

Stick of Truth: 9C*0G-P4YDJ-6P2V5
Nuclear Throne: G7CPE-2*8GA-0NAKE

Missing letter is at the beginning of this sentence

Both gone. Thanks for offering, mate.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

When I clicked on 'show me VR games on Steam' at the end of the Vive presentation the very first game on top was this:

I admit I chuckled because I wouldn't be able to come up with a less exciting title to try promote new technology with. After a hard day's work let me just spend my free time in a 3D cubicle.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Palpek posted:

When I clicked on 'show me VR games on Steam' at the end of the Vive presentation the very first game on top was this:

I admit I chuckled because I wouldn't be able to come up with a less exciting title to try promote new technology with. After a hard day's work let me just spend my free time in a 3D cubicle.

Job Simulator's pretty amazing if the Giant Bomb stream from yesterday is of any indication, definitely one of the most entertaining games they showed.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

I saw this on the GiantBomb stream yesterday and it was pretty cute.

The idea of the game is that you are a visitor to a museum that has an installation about how humans had a concept called "having a job". Since having a job is ancient history, there are things that are slightly off and wacky hijinks ensue. Meaning that you can gently caress around the scenery in a tech-demoish way, but there was quite a lot to gently caress around with and some cool interactions.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 6, 2016

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

It was made by the Rick and Morty guy.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Palpek posted:

this is actually the only VR game i've seen that isn't a garbage fire, it actually seems good in fact

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes the jokes about goons just write themselves.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KoldPT posted:

It was made by the Rick and Morty guy.
Nah, this isn't what Justin Roiland's been working on. His game (a collab with one of the Stanley Parable guys) hasn't been publicly demonstrated yet, but he's claiming to everyone within earshot that it's an entirely normal piece of accounting software that you operate within a virtual office cubicle environment. Which means something else is going on.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

I try to be stealthy until I get spotted, and then I just blow everybody up with explosive arrows. It's very fitting and cool that Lara Croft, on her noble quest to end death and suffering, brutally murders about 1,000 foot soldiers using all manner of incendiary devices. The game also improves 100% once you get the grappling hook.

You fuckin what?

Oh god, I'm a sucker for good grappling hooks.
I assume it's like Far Cry 3/4 where it's fixed points though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Deakul posted:

You fuckin what?

Oh god, I'm a sucker for good grappling hooks.
I assume it's like Far Cry 3/4 where it's fixed points though?

You can just throw it out whenever at any ledge.

• Locked thread