Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I meant the part where it's just a really terrible movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whedon's not far off of the same misogyny and exploitation, just with a veneer of presenting "strong women" and without that film's weak satire.

Wow, you really take living up to your username seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whedon's not far off of the same misogyny and exploitation, just with a veneer of presenting "strong women" and without that film's weak satire.

I've heard this a lot but I've not seen it substantiated. Not saying it's untrue, just that I've never seen it qualified adequately.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Wow, you really take living up to your username seriously.

This is the the saddest kind of ad hominem, when the only social cue on an anonymous forum is the username so you've got nothing else to jump on in the absence of a substantive rebuttal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's such a 2012 thing to say.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

I've heard this a lot but I've not seen it substantiated. Not saying it's untrue, just that I've never seen it qualified adequately.

have you seen avengers 2? literally everything black widow does is a parody of joss whedon's failures at writing women

it's like how jeff daniels' character in the newsroom ends up a checklist for all of aaron sorkin's worst writing habits

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone actually think Whedon is misogynistic because that's very silly lol. I don't think he's a feminist hero like some apparently do but he's far from a misogynist

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

That's such a 2012 thing to say.

Vintage 2009 if you ask me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Escobarbarian posted:

Does anyone actually think Whedon is misogynistic

Over 60.000 hits on Google.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Does anyone actually think Whedon is misogynistic because that's very silly lol. I don't think he's a feminist hero like some apparently do but he's far from a misogynist

his personal belief systems? No, I don't think Whedon is misogynist

but it's hard to argue that the way black widow is written in avengers 2 isn't at the very least troubling, and i think it speaks more to how whedon is lazily sexist over actively sexist. like he's not a misogynist, he doesn't HATE WOMEN, but at the end of the day he writes the main and only female character of his blockbuster superhero epic as a snivelling damsel who exists to "Tame the beast inside" and it's hard not to see the parallels to emotionally abusive relationships when her main love interest is the hulk

again i'm not saying tumblr is right, because they're not and specifically and repeatedly misinterpreting key scenes in the film to pretend that whedon's some woman-hating monster. but...the only reason that tumblr could misinterpret those scenes in the first place was because those scenes were there. every successful lie has a kernel of truth to it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Toxxupation posted:

the main and only female character of his blockbuster superhero epic

Scarlet Witch is not amused.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whedon thinks of "strong female characters" literally and has them all do kung fu.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

less laughter posted:

Scarlet Witch is not amused.

oh right, she existed

i literally forgot about that

she wasn't too bad, tbh

Okay, "main", not "main and only". apologies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Whedon thinks of "strong female characters" literally and has them all do kung fu.

When you've watched years of Moffat's versions of "strong female character" Whedon's don't seem so bad at all tbh

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Willow, Tara, Anya, Kaylee.

But as far as leads go, yeah.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

The best way I've found to express my issues with Whedon is that he only creates women he wants to have sex with. Every woman character exists to be desirable - they can also have agency and plot significance, which is good, but only if they're also objects of fantasy. Dollhouse takes this to an extreme, but it's present in everything he does.

There's a reason Black Widow starts Avengers 1 tied to a chair.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the BW Avengers stuff is a pretty tortured reading that is useful for people who want to make something objectively rather than subjectively bad.

You can't just say you don't like something anymore, it has to be racist or homophobic so that the media issue becomes a moral one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

I think the BW Avengers stuff is a pretty tortured reading that is useful for people who want to make something objectively rather than subjectively bad.

You can't just say you don't like something anymore, it has to be racist or homophobic so that the media issue becomes a moral one.
Okay, but people don't like it because of how they see it reflecting a wider set of values. You can't take it out of that context.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was reading an article about the new Wonder Woman movie and the female director discussed giving the Amazonian warriors high heels because she likes long legs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'll be kicked out of the clubhouse for revealing this terrible secret, but many women like sexed up superhero costumes too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

I'll be kicked out of the clubhouse for revealing this terrible secret, but many women like sexed up superhero costumes too.

That's basically exactly what she said. "Guys like their Superman and Thor with massive muscles. I like slim figures and long legs."

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Three of those are supernatural beings with superpowers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, but people don't like it because of how they see it reflecting a wider set of values. You can't take it out of that context.

I think maybe there are a lot of people that are like that, and I'm certainly not accusing anyone itt otherwise, but I pause when the same genre fanbase that is so loving terrible about women in their media is suddenly massively concerned about how fake Whedon's feminism is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

I think maybe there are a lot of people that are like that, and I'm certainly not accusing anyone itt otherwise, but I pause when the same genre fanbase that is so loving terrible about women in their media is suddenly massively concerned about how fake Whedon's feminism is.
Has it occurred to you that it's not the same individuals holding those opinions at the same time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Has it occurred to you that it's not the same individuals holding those opinions at the same time?

Yes I believe that concern trolls exist.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I honestly mostly care about sexist writing because sexist writing is bad writing, and I care more about bad writing. Sure, I care about progressive representation and all that but if you end up writing a character the way whedon wrote black widow in avengers 2, you end up writing a one-dimensional hacky stereotype who has no real agency or authority in the story she's meant to be a star of. She's meant to enable the powerful white man in her life's greatness, over having any real individuality or authority of her own. It's a lovely, disingenuous way to write a character; sexism is almost an afterthought. As with most criticisms of Whedon there's enough ways to criticize his output from an empirical perspective that you can do so while barely touching on the troubling sociological implications of his work

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

For real. He didn't just bring back Lazarus, he went and brough himself back to, because by the end of season 5 they were already out of ideas and immediatly brought him back in the 3rd loving episode of season 6 because they had no idea where to go with it. But then the actor wanted out more than ever, since they were just writing pure garbage at that point (can you believe they actually filmed the scene where the cross itself talks?) so he "Ascended" right after coming back and still left the show.

Then they went completely of the rails in the last season, changed the genre of the show, and tried to turn it into some apocalyptic flashforward that was all just a premonition or something. No one cares about one character from season 4 enough to make him the framing mechanic for an entire season of "what if".

This is a great post.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Yes I believe that concern trolls exist.
This is disingenuous and you know it. You're frustrated because "the same genre fanbase" holds opinions you see as incompatible, but that ignores the diversity of opinion within that fanbase. It doesn't mean that everyone who likes genre work and expresses issues with how women are written is concern trolling just because you assume all genre fic fans are "so loving terrible about women in their media" and just changing their minds due to an anti-Whedon conspiracy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is disingenuous and you know it. You're frustrated because "the same genre fanbase" holds opinions you see as incompatible, but that ignores the diversity of opinion within that fanbase. It doesn't mean that everyone who likes genre work and expresses issues with how women are written is concern trolling just because you assume all genre fic fans are "so loving terrible about women in their media" and just changing their minds due to an anti-Whedon conspiracy.

Yeah I'm super frustrated about it. Mad even.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh sorry, I meant to say "you have absolutely no feelings on the subject, but are expressing them anyway, because

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but Joss Whedon never made Jennifer's Body, so point Whedon.

Jennifer's Body isn't that bad, Adam Brody is pretty hilarious in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

all genre fic fans are "so loving terrible about women in their media" and just changing their minds due to an anti-Whedon conspiracy.

wouldn't be surprised at all if this turned out to be true tbh. are we suggesting many genre fans aren't kinda dumb hypocrites?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh sorry, I meant to say "you have absolutely no feelings on the subject, but are expressing them anyway, because

Death of the Poster eh?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Three of those are supernatural beings with superpowers

And the fourth is a wizard with engines. I was responding to someone who said they all did kung fu.

It's true, he almost always makes sure his strong characters have skills that give them agency in his settings.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Yup. Really liked the main character, and the sister was pretty good too. The plot needs more filling out as it is pretty simplistic right now, but I thought it was promising.

It is so much better than the comic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

But as far as leads go, yeah.

Willow is hardly what I'd call a "strong" female character, she was mousy and demure enough to rival most animes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The best way I've found to express my issues with Whedon is that he only creates women he wants to have sex with. Every woman character exists to be desirable - they can also have agency and plot significance, which is good, but only if they're also objects of fantasy. Dollhouse takes this to an extreme, but it's present in everything he does.

River wasn't sexy

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

corn in the bible posted:

River wasn't sexy

Wheadon clearly thought she was in Serenity.

Serenity was also a garbage fire though, so.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

So women on TV are attractive, huh.

• Locked thread