Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's 100% okay to not like a thing or be disappointed in a thing and want to talk or discuss what you found lacking in a thing you're reading. Please don't super goon out about people posting their opinions must because they're not completely positive about a thing.

Discussing is fine. It's great, even!

Saying "Homestuck sucks now, it's not as good as before" over and over and over and over without end isn't a discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And this is literally the third time I've posted this because people like Who What Now are, I can only assume maliciously at this point, ignoring what I'm saying to misinterpret it, but I don't even dislike Collide outside of the Dirk stuff. I found it fine. I'm, at worst, indifferent to it. There's a whole bunch of criticisms I can levy against it but on a personal level I found it good enough. In comparison to things about HS that I outright hated, indifference is a vast improvement.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

Saying "Homestuck sucks now, it's not as good as before" over and over and over and over without end isn't a discussion.

Nobody is saying that, outside of you, creating a deliberate straw man.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im going to commit media Sokushinbutsu by walling myself into a tiny cell and meditating on George R R Martins inability to finish a book until i die

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Maybe you should take your own advice and...*tents fingers* stop reading.

i do. i stop reading this thread for very long periods of time because it's like listening to a record of it's a small world on an endless loop except instead of it's a small world it's 3 or 4 posters constantly saying "i hate this" over and over into infinity where there's no loving time and all matter has dissolved into meaningless soup

i'm sorry for shouting but jesus christ

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Spoiler alert: They're not. House dating Cuddy goes nowhere, the mother's name was Tracy, the island was actually purgatory and everyone on it was either awaiting judgment or dispensing it, Dexter falls in love with his sister, and the entire last seasons turns out to be a dream.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

Nobody is saying that, outside of you, creating a deliberate straw man.

Not those exact words, no, but that's the core of your arguments.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

im going to commit media Sokushinbutsu by walling myself into a tiny cell and meditating on George R R Martins inability to finish a book until i die

Yeah, at least Homestuck will actually finish before our bones are crushed to diamond in the Earth's mantle.

One of the many good things about books is that the better ones are usually self-contained one-and-done affairs.

Fantasy Series: Not Even Once.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

Nope! I know what I wrote and what I argued better than you think you do, and nope that's not what I said. And even if it was, which, again, I have to stress that it isn't, that doesn't make criticism invalid. If my argument was "it sucks now and here's why", argue how it doesn't actually suck now over having a loving meltdown that people don't share your Homestuck Opinions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Who What Now posted:

Discussing is fine. It's great, even!

But that's really not what anyone's been saying though? Toxx and Oxx both have posted actual critiques about how things or just what they thought worked and what didn't and people just kind of jumped on them for it and spiraled out I to this weird witch hunt and people yelling "Well if you found it disappointing then just don't read it" which is a really dumb argument that's also super defensive sounding.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

Nope! I know what I wrote and what I argued better than you think you do, and nope that's not what I said. And even if it was, which, again, I have to stress that it isn't, that doesn't make criticism invalid. If my argument was "it sucks now and here's why", argue how it doesn't actually suck now over having a loving meltdown that people don't share your Homestuck Opinions.

There's no points to argue, though. I can't rebut "I didn't like it".

Maybe take a minute to calm down and come back when you're less angry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Who What Now posted:

What you're arguing with is not a real person. It's a strange strawman you've built for people with other opinions about a thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Who What Now posted:

He's made repeated points, dude, though it can be hard to tell because he loses his grip on his gerunds and capital letters when he gets in a lather.

Meanwhile the most cogent thing you've said in the last several days has been a hilariously mis-aimed rant about Terry Pratchett, so perhaps remove the beam from thine own eye first.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

Here, here's all the relevant criticisms I wrote that I coudl dig up just within the last 24 hours:

Toxxupation posted:

I honestly don't care about power levels or awesome fights or if everyone got their badass moment in the sun, because I long stopped giving even the slightest poo poo about any part of the comic that has to do with direct fighting

Eighteen minutes of that is a big ol zero

That look that Dave gave when he realized he was about to behead dirk was more powerful than all the time powers or god tier whatevers, and it was a one second throwaway moment that was immediately undone

Toxxupation posted:

I actually agree...sort of

The big thing about this comic is undoing or cancelling big, affecting moments afterwards. This isn't a criticism btw, it's just the truth: the dead don't stay dead, big moments are unwritten and rewritten over and over and over again

And that's fine when hussie has done it oh so many times before

But before now hussie at least has let a moment hang and be effective

The flash didn't even afford Dave and by extension the audience that because as soon as he kills dirk, literally, POOF in come future Dave's to almost certainly revive him in some way

It doesn't even let the moments linger before undoing them

Toxxupation posted:

The irony is outside the dirk stuff I'm not even really disappointed. I got briefly excited when the best member of the felt (who's literally a better character than jake) riddled jake full of bullets only to be slightly bummed when that was undone, but I don't share anybody else's complaints about the flash at all

It was fine I guess? If you're into fighting nonstop for eighteen minutes that sure did deliver in spades. It was kind of neat that all the jacks got killed or deposed.

In a way that even more damning: outside of the dirk stuff I'm more or less indifferent to the whole thing

Toxxupation posted:

Oh and you have to remember that cascade capped the longest and most beloved single act of the webcomic, and one that still hasn't been topped in quality

collide caps a divisive-at-best act that's literally half the comic both in length and in time taken to complete

cascade was basically an awesome season's season finale, collide is...not that

Toxxupation posted:

also cascade and collide are barely comparable flashes beyond length

cascade had a plot and paid off or advanced it in many key ways. again, taking the "season finale" analogy, that's what cascade was- it utilized its form to end or pay off many throughlines that dominated the "season" (act 5) up to that point. collide had the enormous shambling mass of plots and events that makes act 6 to address and ends up literally being an overlong fight scene. and if that's your bag, that's your bag, and more power to you. but as it stands it only resolves a couple of fights, and they're all relatively minor. it's hard to feel like collide is a satisfactory conclusion on any level to even what came immediately before, not to mention the act as a whole

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, at least Homestuck will actually finish before our bones are crushed to diamond in the Earth's mantle.

One of the many good things about books is that the better ones are usually self-contained one-and-done affairs.

Fantasy Series: Not Even Once.

im working my way though the Master and Commander books right now, and i think they might contain the single greatest sentence ever written in the english language: "Jack, youve debauched my sloth."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

im working my way though the Master and Commander books right now, and i think they might contain the single greatest sentence ever written in the english language: "Jack, youve debauched my sloth."

Please tell me if this sloth refers to a) the vice, b) the animal (figurative), or c) the animal (literal), because I don't know which is better.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Please tell me if this sloth refers to a) the vice, b) the animal (figurative), or c) the animal (literal), because I don't know which is better.

the literal animal. Maturin goes ashore in Brazil and comes back with a sloth, and later Aubrey gets it drunk by accident by feeding it bread dipped in rum.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Here, here's all the relevant criticisms I wrote that I coudl dig up just within the last 24 hours:

The biggest problem with all you criticism is that Stitch is the factual best felt. Crowbar's a close second.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Plom Bar posted:

Spoiler alert: They're not. House dating Cuddy goes nowhere, the mother's name was Tracy, the island was actually purgatory and everyone on it was either awaiting judgment or dispensing it, Dexter falls in love with his sister, and the entire last seasons turns out to be a dream.

Well, for one of those examples, that's not true at all (but i REALLY don't want to get into a LOST debate here), and even if it was, which, again, I have to stress that it isn't, I personally found that series finale super satisfying

And, again, a better analogy would be the SFU finale. It caps a five-season run that was often extremely inconsistent and outright bad, and is an hour plus of fantastic payoff. It's seriously one of if not the best series finale I have ever loving seen to the point that it single-handedly validates watching the show as a whole. It's that loving good. Homestuck could make that same change in its final act. It probably won't, but it could.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toxxupation posted:

"I don't care about fights" and "Collide wasn't as good as Cascade" aren't criticisms, though. The former because that's a personal preference and the latter because that's not a valid comparison because the two flashes almost certainly had different goals they were trying to accomplish in the first place.

So the only criticism left is about Dirk, who's still dead ATM , so you can't really say that's been undone. You think it will be undone in the coming updates, and you're probably right, but as of now Dirk's death still stands.

So yeah, "I don't like thing" sums it up pretty well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The biggest problem with all you criticism is that Stitch is the factual best felt. Crowbar's a close second.

Please don't troll the home is stuck thread

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just realised that PM defeating Jack Noir is technically the only time a white monarch has defeated a black one in the entirety of SBURB. They're both proxies, but it probably still counts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just because you're allowed to not like things and have opinions doesn't mean it's good manners to post those opinions in a thread full of people excitedly livewatching something and sharing their hype.

Admittedly some of this is Something Awful's fault for only having one giant thread for every topic.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I wish those possum guys would....play dead

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked the video but also thought that the more easy going starting acts were way better than the rest. It's nice that something finally actually happened again.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Toxx you make some good points and you're absolutely entitled to your opinions, but my beef with your posts are like... they're very frequent, and they're usually couched in a lot of making GBS threads on Hussie super hard for his pacing or narrative decisions or whatever. A lot of times it's basically the same sentiment just phrased differently. It gets kind of tiring after awhile, especially when a lot of people are pretty amped up about the finale to begin with.

I'm not saying Hussie should be above criticism of his story but it's pretty clear that the dude's been through some poo poo and he's trying to wrap it up as best he can. It's really obvious to everyone that the hiatuses negatively affected the comic and some of us are trying to look past it and enjoy it anyway, and constantly being reminded of the issues over and over is like, kind of a buzzkill. You don't need to keep ramming home what we all already know.

Anyway, not saying you should stop or anything but I'm pretty sure that's why people react so negatively to your posts. Maybe just tone it down a bit?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

TEREZI: TH1S 1S FUCK1NG BRUT4L

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Watched it last night, but haven't chimed in until now:

It was a really fun flash to watch! The battle scenes were fun, the jokes near the beginning made me laugh (particularly Roxy's pony attack), and I really love the music used. The art and the animation was fantastic and really conveyed a great sense of motion (see: Dad).

Unfortunately, I ended the whole thing being a bit let-down. I was expecting Cascade-level of plot things happening and crazy, monumental shifts going down and didn't get it. None of the characters really changed on a fundamental level the way they did in Cascade, either externally or internally, and I feel that holds for the plot's overall trajectory as well. You could almost sum this entire thing up as "most of the bad guys died," where in Cascade you'd need a whole paragraph. I love Cascade because it feels like not a single moment is wasted and that if you took out any single scene, important information would be lost. With Collide, I never feel like that's the case - none of the info conveyed feels as important, and it's not as dense.

In the end, I don't feel like Collide answered any burning plot questions, and I guess that's partly because there just aren't as many (compare to Cascade, with Jade's 'impossible' task of bringing all the denizens over)? And when that's combined with the fact that it's longer than Cascade, it just doesn't feel as important and might as well be [S] Pretty Fight Scenes.

I think I would've liked it better if the Felt member punching everybody around ended up turning the whole thing into a clusterfuck, so team Jack ended up fighting the Condesce and vice-versa. It would've been cool to see the entire plan go to hell and the kids come out on top anyways.

Oh, and Jade and Kanaya were diddly squat in terms of importance in this flash, which was disappointing.

Anyways, I thought the flash was both cool and disappointing. Maybe I set my expectations too high for it to reach.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Just because you're allowed to not like things and have opinions doesn't mean it's good manners to post those opinions in a thread full of people excitedly livewatching something and sharing their hype.

No, wrong, sorry. My obligations start and end at not insulting other people for holding their opinions, which the both of us have done so far, even though some people have been pretty darn reluctant to do the same!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
the real twist of the rest of homestuck is that this thread will be the next murder victim

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Oxxidation posted:

No, wrong, sorry. My obligations start and end at not insulting other people for holding their opinions, which the both of us have done so far, even though some people have been pretty darn reluctant to do the same!

If your best argument for why it's okay to rain on other people's parade is that it's not actually illegal, maybe you should rethink your approach to conversation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes. You are correct.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

If your best argument for why it's okay to rain on other people's parade is that it's not actually illegal, maybe you should rethink your approach to conversation.

If calmly stated negative opinions are enough to harsh your buzz then I'm not the one who needs to re-examine himself. This thread is not a love-in and it never was. People were always going on about how "ironically" bad Homestuck was, and now that the ironic has become actual for some people, I'm sure you can dig deep and find it within yourself to soldier through a few voices of dissent in these trying times. Grow up a little.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: nvm

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Ahaha this is the dumbest post.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Why didnt jade just space magic the rings off their fingers?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Oxxidation posted:

I'm sure you can dig deep and find it within yourself to soldier through a few voices of dissent in these trying times. Grow up a little.
Please stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KoB posted:

That's a tough question whenever you've got someone with telekinetic or spacey powers - like, in stories with psychics or whatever, why do they bother to throw their opponents around or toss heavy things at them when they can just lock up their legs or explode their hearts with a thought or something?

Just chalk it up to "too much precision/Green Sun aura interference."

Roger Explosion posted:

Please stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Read my last post and take your own advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

KoB posted:

I think she was trying to get them to collaborate in the boss-busting effort and she needed them powered up for that.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 6, 2016