Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I bought Gungeon on impulse last night after seeing someone with Early Access play through a floor and fight Gatling Gull, who was devoured by birds when he died. I hope the rest of the game lives up to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Well, the boss on the next floor was THE AMMO-CONDA, so, probably. Some enterprising gungeoneer has created a thread already!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What I want to know is whether there are kamikaze bullets in Enter the Gungeon who run at you carrying a hammer, and then they fire themselves at you by smacking themselves in their primers.

vvv that is acceptable

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 5, 2016

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

What I want to know is whether there are kamikaze bullets in Enter the Gungeon who run at you carrying a hammer, and then they fire themselves at you by smacking themselves in their primers.

Nope, they're grenades instead.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
pssst, hey I made a new videos game :yotj:

It is not a roguelike and has no place in this thread, so please don't discuss it here, but I figure a few of the regulars here enjoy my stuff so I'll happily point you in the right direction: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853&pagenumber=609#post458341617

Support for this game goes into the same warchest that makes more Dungeonmans, so you really can't lose.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Update: Enter the Gungeon owns. It is real drat hard but it's fun and cute as gently caress, and its lore is both gloriously ridiculous and weirdly cohesive if you're willing to accept its central "everything is guns" conceit.

madjackmcmad posted:

It is not a roguelike and has no place in this thread, so please don't discuss it here, but I figure a few of the regulars here enjoy my stuff so I'll happily point you in the right direction: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853&pagenumber=609#post458341617

Support for this game goes into the same warchest that makes more Dungeonmans, so you really can't lose.

That looks awesome :stare:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I actually hadn't heard of Gungeon before today but I bought it and it's real fun.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Ok roguelike geniuses. How would you fix Convoy combat to be not boring. It's like it has all the right components but the recipe comes out poo poo.

To be more constructive, the pacing of combat feels plodding.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I got Gungeon and I agree with a lot of the things people are saying here about it being pretty fun and clever, but although it's challenging in a lot of good and fun ways it's also very punishing in a lot of bad ones.

1. Enemies, including bosses, should have about 25-50% less health than they do. Ha ha, bullet sponges, gun joke.

2. The game is extremely stingy with health and ammo drops.

3. Basic items, such as health, ammo, keys, and so on, cost a lot more in the shop than they probably should.

4. Bosses will give you a heart container when you beat them... but only if you didn't take damage

The result of this is that there tends to be a death spiral effect where if you start to lose, it becomes harder and harder to recover. The game also rewards you disproportionately for doing well and punishes you for the opposite, IE, bosses will drop a heart container only if you beat them without taking damage, in other words you get extra health only if you don't need it. This also means that the difficulty of the game is shifted away from the combat somewhat and becomes more reliant on luck.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

VOTED!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

SpruceZeus posted:

I got Gungeon and I agree with a lot of the things people are saying here about it being pretty fun and clever, but although it's challenging in a lot of good and fun ways it's also very punishing in a lot of bad ones.

1. Enemies, including bosses, should have about 25-50% less health than they do. Ha ha, bullet sponges, gun joke.

2. The game is extremely stingy with health and ammo drops.

3. Basic items, such as health, ammo, keys, and so on, cost a lot more in the shop than they probably should.

4. Bosses will give you a heart container when you beat them... but only if you didn't take damage

The result of this is that there tends to be a death spiral effect where if you start to lose, it becomes harder and harder to recover. The game also rewards you disproportionately for doing well and punishes you for the opposite, IE, bosses will drop a heart container only if you beat them without taking damage, in other words you get extra health only if you don't need it. This also means that the difficulty of the game is shifted away from the combat somewhat and becomes more reliant on luck.

The big one here IMO is the ammo drop thing. It sucks to have a zillion cool guns, but no ammo for any of them. it's too luck-dependent right now.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SpruceZeus posted:

I got Gungeon
My biggest gripe with this game is that, for a game entirely about guns and how cool they are, the guns are mostly very similar and feel weak. It doesn't help that, as others have said, bosses are just giant walls of HP that you empty dozens of clips into. And you're encouraged to not even use the cooler guns most of the time, since they're rare and ammo is so absurdly scarce. I mean, I played for several hours and saw one box of ammo the whole drat time, and it only refills one gun. So instead you go around killing everything with your crappy starting pistol.

Let me fricking shoot things!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

megane posted:

My biggest gripe with this game is that, for a game entirely about guns and how cool they are, the guns are mostly very similar and feel weak. It doesn't help that, as others have said, bosses are just giant walls of HP that you empty dozens of clips into. And you're encouraged to not even use the cooler guns most of the time, since they're rare and ammo is so absurdly scarce. I mean, I played for several hours and saw one box of ammo the whole drat time, and it only refills one gun. So instead you go around killing everything with your crappy starting pistol.

Let me fricking shoot things!

That sounds incredibly dumb

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

The big one here IMO is the ammo drop thing. It sucks to have a zillion cool guns, but no ammo for any of them. it's too luck-dependent right now.

yeah exactly it's a game about cool toys where you can't actually use the cool toys.

Also I forgot about how ammo and armor will actually disappear if you leave them lying on the floor and leave the room. Like, resource management is a big part of the game, which is fine, except for the part where it won't actually let you manage your resources. It's dumb and shouldn't be a thing. And like, it's not even like in Isaac where it's a huge chore to backtrack through the whole floor picking things up after you're done, since Gungeon has such a cool teleporter system which makes exploring and backtracking basically painless!

e: again, i do really like this game, there's nothing really FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with it i don't think, it just needs some balancing tweaks and it'd be amazing

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Unless you're having amazingly bad luck finding guns or are REALLY spraying and praying, you can usually keep using all your guns fairly consistently throughout a run - just place your shots carefully with more powerful guns to conserve ammo, and swap to your sidearm to mop up leftover enemies that don't pose a meaningful threat to you. Empty guns that you don't want to use ammo on can be given to a muncher or sold to the weird fish person, if you encounter one of them.

There is a bit of luck involved, though, yeah. If you clear every room and just don't find any drat guns, welp

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Ammo and guns are a problem, though like Angry Diplomat says munchers and shops help out a little bit. Still no recourse if you get a streak of really bad luck. Or if you get bad guns that are only good for the novelty factor (thanks, starship engine).

Another opinion I'm starting to incubate is that roguelikes with unavoidable bosses should probably have a way to practice them just because it sucks when your ability to learn a boss is spread over a dozen sessions each lasting about 15 seconds. This was definitely a problem with Lil' Hunter in Nuclear Throne, but I haven't unlocked the elevators in Gungeon yet so maybe that solves my issue.

I'm just getting real sick of dying to Beholster while wiping the floor with Gorgun and Ammoconda guys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RoboCicero posted:

Another opinion I'm starting to incubate is that roguelikes with unavoidable bosses should probably have a way to practice them just because it sucks when your ability to learn a boss is spread over a dozen sessions each lasting about 15 seconds.

Christ, yes. "Oh look, something I've never seen before! And it splatted me instantly because I didn't recognize the .5s-long windup to its incredibly punishing attack! And it took me 20 minutes to get here!"

Once again, Necrodancer shows you how it should be done. Practice rooms for every boss and miniboss so you can learn their movement, tells, etc.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that complaint about ammo scarcity in gungeon reminds me of an update that nuclear throne did back when it was still in early access where they basically rebalanced how much ammo the pickups would give you and made a lot of enemies, especially early ones, take a little less damage to kill, because before that there was a legit concern that you could run out of ammo for even your starting pistol pretty early. it was determined that it's much more fun for players to actually be able to, you know, play the game and shoot poo poo instead of running out of ammo entirely in a game that is mostly focused on unloading into things constantly.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 6, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I would agree that my main complaints about Gungeon so far would be that ammo crates should refill all your ammo for every gun, and health drops should be more common (and it would be okay to balance that by making them disappear if left behind).

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

(thanks, starship engine)

This is a legit awesome gun that does a fuckton of damage, just lightly tap the button to basically annihilate anything before floor 4.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, it's the best shotgun type weapon you can possess. Even better than Blooper.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

lmao, that makes sense -- the first time I used it on an actual enemy was when fighting the Beholster, sending me careening into multiple bullets and then off the side of the stage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've never actually played this game, but it seem to me like a better mechanic would be regenerating ammo. That way ammo pressure is only felt when you are an expert and trying to do speed runs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think people are overblowing the ammo thing. There are few ammo pickups but most of the weapons start with tons of ammo anyways -- it's not like you only have 1-2 spare clips.

You only really have to use your lovely infinite-ammo pistol on the first and maybe the second floors when you only have one other gun, since you'll be finding new guns (and sometimes ammo crates) faster than your current guns will run dry. But the game's difficulty ramps up super fast so plenty of people (including me) end up repeatedly replaying the first level or two without getting much farther.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Rutibex posted:

I've never actually played this game, but it seem to me like a better mechanic would be regenerating ammo. That way ammo pressure is only felt when you are an expert and trying to do speed runs.

Agreed

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

An ammo goblin, following you around.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Gatling Gull boss room with permanent cover = I win every time, Gatling Gull with just tables = run over.

I'm extremely unskilled at this fun game.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Floodkiller posted:

Sometimes I wonder what roguelikes would be like today if IVAN was one of the classics instead of ADOM or Nethack.

I think we'd probably see more games with combat in the style of Unreal World's or DF's adventure mode. That would be a good thing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

pesty13480 posted:

I think we'd probably see more games with combat in the style of Unreal World's or DF's adventure mode. That would be a good thing.

Combat systems like DFs or IVAN's are funny, but I can't say I'm sad they're as rare as they are.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gungeon is amazing and everyone should play it.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Gatling Gull boss room with permanent cover = I win every time, Gatling Gull with just tables = run over.

I'm extremely unskilled at this fun game.

Yeah Library layout for Gull is like the only time I can do him without taking ruinous amounts of damage. Tables just are good enough against the constant stream of bullets he puts out to help in any reasonable fashion.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I lucked into a black chest on the first floor and got a disintegrator. I suddenly understand how to get the bullet conponents without being touch. While it is totally doable to survive, it is easy to ace a boss if they melt in under a minute. The disintegrator got me perfect clears on all floors till 4. The boss there has a pattern that didn't allow for the disintegrator to finish the job in time. If I used something else at some points I would have survived. I was able to make it back later but without perfection. I basically got carried by that gun.

I will probably never see a run like that again anytime soon.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I found a lowercase r that spells "bullets" with its bullets when you fire a burst. It also says it out loud.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

andrew smash posted:

I found a lowercase r that spells "bullets" with its bullets when you fire a burst. It also says it out loud.

That and the wind-up gun that plays pop goes the weasel like a jack-in-the-box while you're reloading are some of my favorite cutesy gun effects. The barrel gun that shoots fish is pretty good too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

andrew smash posted:

It's a shame that the damage on that thing is so wimpy, but it's still great for hitstunning annoying enemies or spraying and praying in the general direction of fast, fragile opponents. It's really good for quickly mowing down hordes of bullats (the little suicide bat things).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The more I play Renowned Explorers the more I keep thinking the combat just gets in the way.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it turns out the bloodmage gold class challenge in desktop dungeons is even worse than the silver, to the degree where i've come to realize i'm only going to beat it by attempting runs until the rng lines up and trickles out enough resources to defeat the boss

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gungeon is a cool-rear end idea, and I'm clearly not good enough to get to play with most of its content. 7 hours on it and I haven't managed to even get to a level 2 boss. Starting to get Nuclear Throne vibes off it (I have 40 hours on that, never beaten the rogue hunter).

Just put in an easy mode for people like me who suck. What's it hurt?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PostNouveau posted:

Gungeon is a cool-rear end idea, and I'm clearly not good enough to get to play with most of its content. 7 hours on it and I haven't managed to even get to a level 2 boss. Starting to get Nuclear Throne vibes off it (I have 40 hours on that, never beaten the rogue hunter).

After half a dozen rounds of being killed by lovely collision detection and invisible bullets I uninstalled and got my refund. The game's a piece of poo poo, don't make excuses for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

After half a dozen rounds of being killed by lovely collision detection and invisible bullets I uninstalled and got my refund. The game's a piece of poo poo, don't make excuses for it.

Nah pretty sure I'm just bad at video games.