Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beet Wagon posted:

That's the key. If you can't find it by typing the most basic description possible (Blue space planet) into google, it's not a real RA
Safe Search on or off?

Oh, dear...
*rummages round for catpics*

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:wow:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Dunno, I enjoy his posting for it's inaccuracy.

He seems to conflate 'encryption in motion' with 'encryption at rest'. TLS usually handles the encryption in motion, while PGP allows you to encrypt at rest - FWIW I was throwing around copies of PGP in 1996 as Phil was uploading them. Also, RSA hasn't been cracked without knowing the content of the original message, but it's not something that we use except for key exchange because it's computationally expensive; after you exchange keys, you're usually using ECDHE for the rest of the communications.

"because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked"

Technically true, but in practice not true. Most attacks on RSA involve knowing the message or part of the message, then narrowing entropy. Most work by the NSA recently involved weakening encryption by lowering the entropic pool, or creating a system that could be predicted.

Anything lower than RSA/ECDHE is laughably easy to break, but generally because it was a weak encryption to begin with; we shifted to RSA in around 1999 and never looked back.

This is why the law relies on compulsion to give up keys rather than simply brute-forcing things. Criminal law. not civil.

"In case it wasn't obvious, deleted text messages on every phone can be recovered by every digital forensics team on the planet. "

That's because they're sent in the clear via centralized servers, dumbass. Florida's been using Stingrays for years to intercept this poo poo, sidestepping the legal questions by signing NDAs. SMS is in no way encrypted.

Spot on.

PGP's strength is exactly what you describe, with it's weaknesses being a lack of deniability (you can hide your content but not that you have sent an encrypted message to a specific recipient) and a false sense of security when it comes to just getting your message stolen via a compromised host. Slides of an interesting presentation on this topic and attempts to address the former at least: http://archive.hack.lu/2015/FredericJacobs-Annotated.pdf

Please ignore this if you are interested in catte pictures instead.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The crazy is coming from all direction! [Insert Admiral Ackbar quote]

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6542089/#Comment_6542089

Idris Stats:

quote:

Howdy!

These are the stats currently listed in our internal Wiki. I should stress that these are by no means final, and really won't be even when the Idris is flight ready... a whole lot of balancing (and thus stat) work takes place AFTER that stage. (Similarly, these may have changed in the three days since they were last edited in the Wiki, too... much of this can be changed by a technical designer working out something with just a few keystrokes.)

Manufacturer Aegis Dynamics
Variants 2 (M/P)
Cargon Capacity 100 SCU
Cargo Storage Cargo Rooms
Landing Gear Skids
Take Off Method VTOL
Max Crew 37
Role Frigate
Length 237m
Width 134m
Height 50m

Mass 1,600,000kg
Docking Ring Yes
Radar Type 3D

Avionics
12x Name TBC (Medium - Bridge)
8x Name TBC (Medium - ATC Room)

Coolers
4x Name TBC (Capital - Hangar Floor)
8x Name TBC (Medium- Hangar Wall)

Fuel System
2x Name TBC Fuel Intake (FL,FR)
1x Name TBC Fuel Tank

Gravity Generator
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Life Support
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Jump Drive
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Power Plant
2x Name TBC (Capital - Reactor Room)
2x Name TBC (Medium - Bridge)
4x Name TBC (Medium - Hangar)

Radar
1x Name TBC (Capital)

Shield Generator
4x Name TBC (Capital - Shield Gen Room)
2x Name TBC (Medium - Bridge)

Thrusters
8x TR5 (Main)
8x TR3 (Maneuvering)

Turrets
5x Behring M3C ASA Turret (2xS4 Guns)
1x Behring M5C STS Turret (2xS6 Guns)

Weapons
1x Klaus & Werner Zestroyer Rail Gun (S10)

Missiles
1x A&R Plowshare Anti-Ship Missile Launcher (ASML)

lol, can't wait to see how they manage to get these in the PU :cool:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You also need to "draw" it while wearing a fedora

Also points for chewing a piece of charcoal for that lustrous RA smile. Oh, and vape.

I figured the vaping and fedora were a given.

SelenicMartian posted:

Safe Search on or off?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Ryan Archer has a couple gigs of pony hentai saved on his hard drive, so probably safe search off is the most authentic way to go.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You also need to "draw" it while wearing a fedora

Also points for chewing a piece of charcoal for that lustrous RA smile. Oh, and vape.

I dont own a trilby or a fedora. I also dont have charcoal and will not make any. And i will not vape because I dont smoke and if i did it would either be a pipe or a cigar.

Looks i cant be RA :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Assuming they hobbled this into the PU, what features and functionality of the ship are actually in-game? I'm going to assume none.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6542089/#Comment_6542089

Idris Stats:

37 max crew? That will be fantastic with a 24 man limit / server!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I can nail tacks through my balls because I am an adult and can choose to spend my time and disposable income how I please. And honestly, you seem a bit jealous of how much iron I've managed to fuse with my privates.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

BMan posted:

Ths ship is Xi'An not Vanduul.

I thought it was the Vanduul ships that were being captured and reproduced, and supposed to be provided in extremely low numbers. The Xi'An are a completely different thing? Either way, I have no idea how you are supposed to pilot that thing without literally becoming physically ill.

AP posted:

They're on sale already to subscribers at a discounted price.

What the hell is on Ben and Sandi's hands in the original of this picture:

Maybe it's obvious and just eluding me, but I never figured it out. Flat-pack beer can cozies?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

Idris Stats:

If only those numbers meant anything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also FiendishFeather is back on Reddit and making pretty pictures:

Honestly I expect SQ42 will be full of very pretty stuff. I doubt it will be a terribly fun game, but it will be pretty.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

I'm pretty sure 30+ of those will be non-interacting stationary models

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Wing Commander - $10,000+. who has posted only in this thread: would you power down and let a pirate rob you?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6538653/#Comment_6538653

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6538740/#Comment_6538740

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6538906/#Comment_6538906

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SelenicMartian posted:

And while I'm there, Chris should hire the guy with this pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhHNVguMWo

I've already submitted this guy. He's clearly Chris's brother from another mother. It's almost a perfect parody of Chris's 10ftc poo poo.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

grimcreaper posted:

Something seems fishy about your pic. I really cant place my on it. Mine is obviously the original.

:lol: don't care what anyone says I'll never get sick of Ryan Archer original pieces

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

I thought it was the Vanduul ships that were being captured and reproduced, and supposed to be provided in extremely low numbers. The Xi'An are a completely different thing? Either way, I have no idea how you are supposed to pilot that thing without literally becoming physically ill.

What the hell is on Ben and Sandi's hands in the original of this picture:

Maybe it's obvious and just eluding me, but I never figured it out. Flat-pack beer can cozies?

Surely koozies, either soon to be made available for sale on the site or donated by a fan who scrapped together couch money to print something extra special for the team...

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ponzi posted:

I've worked out EightAce's riddle!

After the first clue was solved and translated into English, you get:

'The mad/crazy doctor leads the way'

I then looked at Derek's very first blog post (Interstellar Citizens):

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

Then (excluding the quoted parts), take every letter from the beginning, and use the number of the letter to spell a message, which turns out to be:

sethrl apdtacte i:

I think I'm a genius.

Maybe try it with the OP instead?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Sandi or not :barf:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

XK posted:

He's clearly Chris's brother from another mother.
What is he to Erin?

This manul gallery is loving amazing.
http://petsvillage.ru/manul-koshka-s-vyrazitelnoj-mimikoj/

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think Ben misses his penis?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Ohtsam posted:

Maybe try it with the OP instead?

I tried that too and got the same message (but in a different alien language).

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

I'm pretty sure 30+ of those will be non-interacting stationary models

I can't wait for the immersion overload that will be commandeering an Idris, heroically fighting along-side your battle-hardened compatriots "@TURRET_GUNNER_#1" and "@TURRET_GUNNER_#3".

XK
Jul 9, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

What is he to Erin?

Erin is the functional brother driving the short bus, yelling back as gummy snacks are being thrown out the windows.

G0RF posted:

Surely koozies, either soon to be made available for sale on the site or donated by a fan who scrapped together couch money to print something extra special for the team...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't tell what the gently caress those are. Is that a frame from one of their videos? I rarely watch the videos, but I'd honestly like to know what those things are.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

grimcreaper posted:

Something seems fishy about your pic. I really cant place my on it. Mine is obviously the original.

:laffo:
A+ lighting and shading.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

It's not even the server/instance limits that get me, it's the gameplay limits inherent with multi-crew (in the SC style) that really sink the prospects for me.

How do you have compelling or even mildly interesting gameplay for the 36 non-captains on the Idris? What the gently caress are these people supposed to do while Captain Whale Sperglord putters around the 'verse?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

It's not far fetched at all so it works well.

Ben is far stretched.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Can you use its head as a doorstop?
Does it clip into the table?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Iglocska posted:

B'Tak could buy 24 accounts and never have to see another player :unsmith:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

XK posted:

Erin is the functional brother driving the short bus, yelling back as gummy snacks are being thrown out the windows.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't tell what the gently caress those are. Is that a frame from one of their videos? I rarely watch the videos, but I'd honestly like to know what those things are.
It's a phone pic taken sometime during a break on their latest AtV shoot. The video will go live tomorrow afternoon and you'll be a better person for having missed it...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

runsamok posted:

It's not even the server/instance limits that get me, it's the gameplay limits inherent with multi-crew (in the SC style) that really sink the prospects for me.

How do you have compelling or even mildly interesting gameplay for the 36 non-captains on the Idris? What the gently caress are these people supposed to do while Captain Whale Sperglord putters around the 'verse?
Chat!

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

:gary: :siren: NEW WHALE :frogsiren: DETECTED :siren: :yarg:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Berious posted:

With CIG's wonderific unprecedented instancing technology, they will just end up in different instances and he'll feel 24× the grief.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This old gif represents CIG's money situation perfectly

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

XK posted:

Well you see, before every child had a gameboy to play with, they had to make do with non electronic toys.

Like sock puppets.

A puppet made out of an old sock, the toe portion folded in to make the puppets mouth.

You would add eyes and other decorations if you were feeling progressive.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Berious posted:

You know, that's probably CIG's main motivation to try to increase the player cap - so people like him buy even more accounts ;)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sadly, the real G0rf bar graph gained zero traction. The account is still safe.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/324885/this-game-is-taking-too-long-to-emerge/p3

Good news is the concern forum is mostly pissed off people with a downtick in defenders. I've yet to spot a poll though where the "Yes" vote is below 84%.

Gotta say all the sections are great laugh riots. So many threads. So little time. Not sure how Mirificus does it. They should change "Sisyphus" to "Mirificus" in Greek mythology for how long he keeps pushing threads uphill to our attention.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

They should implement the mechanic for the crew to play table games for the 99% of the time the crew is doing nothing. It would actually be the easiest thing to slot in I can imagine. Until, of course, the mechanic of hiding Monopoly money under the board, and trying to move your piece differently from the dice roll comes into play.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

Tippis posted:

I'm renewing my hypothesis that the ELE is the discovery that all assets have been done with pirated software. :v:

I mean, Autodesk and Adobe are such avaricious yet forgiving companies — I'm sure they'll understand if a little freelancer can't pay their outrageous fees.

sorry, the software is on the up and up afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think Ben misses his penis?

He griefed at first. But as a replacement he got a Bobbitt Worm to nest under his ninth belly fold. Now he only has to wait until it grows to 5 feet.

• Locked thread