Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five: :bravo: :five: :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Cobblers' brown sea posts bring joy to my black heart.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Oh so he stole my led strip :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Posting from the past

:tipshat:

Ryan Archer's got a new hat to trace.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

He didn't promise that Star Citizen or SQ42 would support VR. So he can easily walk that one back.

Promise? No.

Imply? Kind of. (10 for the Chairman, July 27th, 2015)

He's got plausible deniability on it, of course. And I imagine at the time he even answered the question above, he knew. He comes across like he's wanting not to say no (as usual) so he's smoke screening that behind stuff about cry engine, vive, and the rest, leaving the viewer with the impression "sounds like they've got a plan!"

As Chris says, they'll be getting to it right after they "finish the Star Marine work..." :lol:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Please don't post 80mb gifs. Please?

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What the actual gently caress are you talking about? In what world did Destiny fail?

Sorry, failed to live up to expectations / sustainment as next top quality FPS experience. Compared to the hype, it launched with disappointingly low content and sort of mumbled through the first year.

You're right it made a ton of money and has a ton of play time, but it isn't a secure franchise or IP. For the money Activision put into it, they don't have a surefire winner as they must have hoped.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

Guys, I found Ryan Archer's SA account :v:

That explains how he manages to create all those effortposts — it's just some copy-pasting from google. :D

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
What happens if you do a rot13 with 8aces thing?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Space Marshal - $5000+

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and clips through the geometry in a t pose in the evening?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Morbid thought: Chris and Sandi are hoping Ben eats himself to death because that's the only way they can get new coverage that's sympathetic.

Probably boost their backer cash flow for another couple years too

Ben take a loving medical leave already

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Made some tweaks to landing procedures.
* Made some additional adjustments to server back end for performance.
* Fixed a client crash.

Keep up the hard work, CIG!

The patches triple every second

The content, not so much

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ShredsYouSay posted:

What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and clips through the geometry in a t pose in the evening?

joke odn't work nobodys ever got the game to not crash that lnog

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Gordon Way.

…although that may be more of a tea-pose, I suppose.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's been a while since I checked in.

Is the Star Citizen Thread out yet? Is it worth picking up?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

When Ben sits around the 'verse he really sits around the 'verse.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's been a while since I checked in.

Is the Star Citizen Thread out yet? Is it worth picking up?

Page 3016 was just released, it's okay I guess

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:pgabz: says PAAAAAAAAAARP!

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

To Ben Lesnick, Developer:
My last post was kind of mean spirited and I apologize for that. Please seek actual dietary advice from a medical professional so you can live to develop many more games! Scraping the meat off a cheese steak isn't going to cut it, man.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Anybody else still mad about Sandi? It's just to much I can't cope with it all

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

I wasn't speedy enough to make it onto the illustrious Page 3000 with my promised best cat picture, but I don't want my shortcomings to negatively impact the thread, so here it is:

My favourite cat picture I've ever taken.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Please don't post 80mb gifs. Please?

sorry, i don't check the size before i post. i assume it broke your mobile browser?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Gamasutra Post by CIG UK Dev Michael Barclay

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

This puzzle poo poo is dumb my kryptonite

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
a lot of presumption and considering of the source, but a wild-rear end guess on eightace's code would be a book code based on "a discipline of programming" by dijkstra, which i do not have on hand

e: i mean it's unlikely as hell but i'll show my working here, if it's a book code, which it looks like it could be, it's gonna be based on a book the encoder has on hand if they're trying to have people actually solve it. dijkstra was dutch, a doctor, basically invented pathing, and that looks like his most famous book.

Stanko-Prussian fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 6, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer said they just had to flip a switch. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

I bet it's next to the procedural generation slider and the gameplay checkbox

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

Derek please, this is just embarrassing :(

Dunno, I enjoy his posting for it's inaccuracy.

He seems to conflate 'encryption in motion' with 'encryption at rest'. TLS usually handles the encryption in motion, while PGP allows you to encrypt at rest - FWIW I was throwing around copies of PGP in 1996 as Phil was uploading them. Also, RSA hasn't been cracked without knowing the content of the original message, but it's not something that we use except for key exchange because it's computationally expensive; after you exchange keys, you're usually using ECDHE for the rest of the communications.

"because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked"

Technically true, but in practice not true. Most attacks on RSA involve knowing the message or part of the message, then narrowing entropy. Most work by the NSA recently involved weakening encryption by lowering the entropic pool, or creating a system that could be predicted.

Anything lower than RSA/ECDHE is laughably easy to break, but generally because it was a weak encryption to begin with; we shifted to RSA in around 1999 and never looked back.

This is why the law relies on compulsion to give up keys rather than simply brute-forcing things. Criminal law. not civil.

"In case it wasn't obvious, deleted text messages on every phone can be recovered by every digital forensics team on the planet. "

That's because they're sent in the clear via centralized servers, dumbass. Florida's been using Stingrays for years to intercept this poo poo, sidestepping the legal questions by signing NDAs. SMS is in no way encrypted.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Page 3016 was just released, it's okay I guess

Eh, I guess I'll probably hold off until it goes on sale or something.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who the gently caress looks for a bottle of wine at the local bar instead of your wine rack, or the god drat liquor store.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Lladre posted:

Who the gently caress looks for a bottle of wine at the local bar instead of your wine rack, or the god drat liquor store.

B'Tak: scared of the unknown, concerned about the familiar.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cobblers is staring deep into the abyss

You know what stares back at you???

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So the new eightace was saying that they recently changed the payroll from every two weeks to every month. Unless I misunderstood, that gives new meaning to the 'Two weeks' phrase.

It very well could indicate that they don't have the funds, and are buying time, hoping for an investor to bail them out. I think this is going to look very much like the 38 Studios collapse. People aren't going to get paid, they're going to wonder why, they'll stall for a few more days and then it will all come out.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

runsamok posted:

B'Tak: scared of the unknown, concerned about the familiar.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stanko-Prussian posted:

a lot of presumption and considering of the source, but a wild-rear end guess on eightace's code would be a book code based on "a discipline of programming" by dijkstra, which i do not have on hand

e: i mean it's unlikely as hell but i'll show my working here, if it's a book code, which it looks like it could be, it's gonna be based on a book the encoder has on hand if they're trying to have people actually solve it. dijkstra was dutch, a doctor, basically invented pathing, and that looks like his most famous book.

It's just a graph of dickbutt.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

That explains how he manages to create all those effortposts — it's just some copy-pasting from google. :D
ive been working on my :master: about Ion Storm as we speak. Don't want to spoil anything but the title says it all...

Stormy Weather

It still gives me chills how good that is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Sperglord posted:

Sorry, failed to live up to expectations / sustainment as next top quality FPS experience. Compared to the hype, it launched with disappointingly low content and sort of mumbled through the first year.

You're right it made a ton of money and has a ton of play time, but it isn't a secure franchise or IP. For the money Activision put into it, they don't have a surefire winner as they must have hoped.

Activision-Blizzard Earnings report posted:

Activision Publishing’s Destiny achieved record digital attach rates on its critically acclaimed Q3
expansion, The Taken King. Destiny’s 25+ million registered users have logged nearly 3 billion
hours playing the game.

:airquote: failed :airquote:

vague references to "franchise security" mean actually dick, btw

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

:eyepop:

Also yeah cephalopods are amazing. They have massive brains, awesome camo, and cool eyes. Aside from smart birbs (crows and the parrots that are not as stupid as mine) they are the best animals ever. :cthulhu:

Random octoparp fact - they can discern (see) light polarization.
Random non-octoparp fact - humans can too, but barely.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

runsamok posted:

I wasn't speedy enough to make it onto the illustrious Page 3000 with my promised best cat picture, but I don't want my shortcomings to negatively impact the thread, so here it is:

My favourite cat picture I've ever taken.

this is a pretty great catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Cobblers is staring deep into the abyss

You know what stares back at you???

Fun fact, some families of anglerfish (but not all) undergo sexual parasitism - the male bites the female and excretes digestive enzymes that melt his mouth and her body, fuzing the two fish together down to the blood vessels. He spends the rest of his life giving her sperm in exchange for the nutrients that keep him alive.

But you guys already knew that I'd wager. It's one of the most common "fun facts" about anglerfish.

So here's another: Anglerfish are one of a handful of fish that spend large portions of their time upside down. It's thought that a willingness to be oriented in whatever direction is a trait that helps anglerfish conserve energy and may aid in the capture of prey.

• Locked thread