Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sunswipe posted:

Oh, I asked a question on Amazon about one of the Stimperial devices we were looking at earlier and I've got a response:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rhubarb94 posted:

I once got thrown from the doorstep of my house through the doorway and flat onto my back in the front room by ground-shock from lighting that hit a tree in the garden. The smell of ozone was incredible my PC died and the phone melted.

Serves me right for smoking on the doorstep everyone knows it's bad for you.

gently caress I hate the smell of ozone

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:eonwe: is the only one to beat 1/40
Looks like we need to push up on our :lol: posts, TB.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Your dog is the most :3: on the entire internet

Better give him a hug from me

I will. When I get home from work he sits in my reading chairs with me while I have a bourbon, and it's awesome.

I was trying to record him being dumb last night - he's got a ton of energy so we play catch for like 4 hours every night and he basically does backflips - but he stopped showing off his ridiculous vertical leap as soon as I turned the camera on.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

RoosterChief posted:

$1250. For a digital picture of a ship. Sometimes I just...:stare:

People out here pay that much to charter a seat on a boat out of Montauk for the day, with not a single fish to take a jpeg of at the end of it.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Solvency posted:

My favorite moment of this thread was when some new person came in and asked where they could buy Star Citizen dollars, and how much they cost. It was beyond their ability to understand that space ships cost that much in real US dollars. Anyone know the post?

:frogbon: That was me... what seems like a lifetime ago. I legit thought I would get like 50 Star Citizen dollars for 1 good ol' sterling pound, how naive I was.

Wrecked Angle posted:

A friend of mine has been banging on about joining Star Citizen so I'm on the website looking at the different ships. I like the look of the Redeemer Gunship but can't find anywhere that tells me how much that $318.oo costs in real world money.

Do you buy Star Citizen dollars in packs? If so, can someone tell me how much say, 1000 Star Citizen dollars costs (or however many you can buy at a time). Thanks.

e. In GBP if possible

:psyduck:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat, that's bananas! I've been fortunate enough to never have lightning strike near me. The thought of that scares the poo poo outta me.

I know, I'll just bribe you guys with dog pictures so that later when someone is like "What did I miss in the last 20 pages?" nobody will tell them I used to be an actual retard!

i love your dog :3:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rhubarb94 posted:

I once got thrown from the doorstep of my house through the doorway and flat onto my back in the front room by ground-shock from lighting that hit a tree in the garden. The smell of ozone was incredible my PC died and the phone melted.

Serves me right for smoking on the doorstep everyone knows it's bad for you.

Nature is nature's way of saying "Stay the gently caress indoors."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

Looks like we need to push up on our :lol: posts, TB.

:agreed:

Here, have some chill Swedish muzak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TIba-dw5A

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
e: double post fuckup

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lladre posted:

People out here pay that much to charter a seat on a boat out of Montauk for the day, with not a single fish to take a jpeg of at the end of it.

Yeah but that is how much charter fishing costs, video games cost 60 dollars or less. So think of it like someone spending $26,000 to charter a seat that normal people pay $1250 for.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Wrecked Angle posted:

:frogbon: That was me... what seems like a lifetime ago. I legit thought I would get like 50 Star Citizen dollars for 1 good ol' sterling pound, how naive I was.

tbf that assumption holds more water than the reality

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Lladre posted:

I laugh at these people as well

then again I laugh at people who buy coffee a cup at a time, often for $5 or more, instead of buying a drip pot and brewing it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
What is the value of a ship?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat, that's bananas! I've been fortunate enough to never have lightning strike near me. The thought of that scares the poo poo outta me.

The bang and the flash was like a physical impact, it felt similar to the shockwave you feel when an explosive goes off nearby but with a lot more oomph but then it was very close.

My vision was just a white blur for a while afterwards and my ears were ringing, which is why your post reminded me of it. The tree was totally hosed for the top 10 feet.

I'd really prefer not to conduct any more lighting research if any of the Norse gods are reading this thread.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

i will work for ten thousand hours in your video game salt mine, swinging my vr pick axe, to afford that ship

and be grateful for it

e: please, grey "dick" wulf, tell me about Atlas Shrugged

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

You're the first to talk about it for pages

Please tell us about the stupid ways you almost killed yourself when young or gtfo

Yeah but relative to the rate of posting and the number of pages in the thread, it was like 6 seconds ago!

All of the near-death experiences I had as a child involved climbing. Nearly impaling myself on poo poo. Nearly falling into rocks whilst climbing on slippery cliff faces. I was taught early on not to gently caress with electricity so :shrug:

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Kramjacks posted:

Is Derek Smart physically stronger than Chris Roberts?

Posting from the past!

I figured they're roughly equal, but the Thumbtastic Man, while near the source of his power and bouyed by the dreams of his most devout cultists will overpower Dr. Smart in a perfectly straight fight. Near the Cloud Empire, of course, dreams become reality.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Haha what the gently caress is wrong with these people

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EightAce posted:

There is no stringing along as that would be pointless. The code is not a troll but an ill advised post whilst drinking tequila after a particularly bad day

Of all the things I have said concerning trailers and plans meetings etc the only two things that incontrovertibly prove I am not trolling are these two facts.

I told you that the CS guy who had been dealing with the Sandi Beer email fiasco was going to leave. Not fired but leave of his own accord on good terms

3 days later he posted a leaving note on the CIG forums all very good natured

I told you that they were working on a farming module with the ability to grow stuff in space pods etc

This was revealed as fact by Croberts himself 6 months after I first called it.

Other than that most of what i have said has either not yet come to pass OR I could have got from other sources or simply collated info that was publicly available on their own forums , or forumites could have read more into what i was saying. This is where you can legitimately call me into question and there is nothing I can do about it.
I have always said that 8ace is not ONE lowly grunt in a QA dept speculating

At the risk of offending anyone or turning this into a circus I will take my ball back and go home.:)

Some genuinely entertaining people on here and I'm sure you will be watching the ongoing performance keep up the good work gentlemen

No offense taken, seriously. Keep your head down, your powder dry and best of luck to you!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Posting from the past!

I figured they're roughly equal, but the Thumbtastic Man, while near the source of his power and bouyed by the dreams of his most devout cultists will overpower Dr. Smart in a perfectly straight fight. Near the Cloud Empire, of course, dreams become reality.

All evidence to date fails to support this allegation.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Solvency posted:

Posting is not a race or achievement. It should be done with patience and care.

:justpost:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Anyone making headway with the 8ace mystery?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I'm thankful the only thread I'm in the top posters list is the Corgi thread. Even then I'm in the bottom half.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Anyone making headway with the 8ace mystery?

nah, cbf to try and deal with it.

I'm busy looking at cameras I can't afford

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

You cannot take funds in one company and then funnel it to another for an entirely separate product without some sort of accountability of the money being used for a product. If Foundry 42 in Germany is a GmbH as a random example there's very strict requirements about notorizing transfers of funds, stocks, etc. If they even attempted something that stupid there's trails everywhere and it wouldn't be hard to either find them liable to pay it back or straight up ban their products.

A very simple example as they have about 14 companies.

CIG US might pay F42 UK for the work they are doing on Star Citizen & SQ42. CIG US and F42 agree what that work costs, it's happening and there's evidence. At some point CIG US says their cash flow is bad so F42 keeps working, then CIG US says "sorry can't pay, lol we hosed up and agreed to pay you too much, look at all the money we owe you!", F42 UK says "ok, we like you, how about we take some IP and a reduced payment?" CIG US says "you want this SQ42 game thing? Plus we drive a hard bargain, you don't bill us for the unpaid work on that" F42 UK "sure".

CIG US goes bust, any kickstarter backer or anyone who bought Star Citizen can sue them but they don't have any money. Maybe F42 gets the pure SQ42 backers are part of the deal, maybe they don't.

A receiver comes in to sort out CIG US, highest bidder for remaining furniture assets and ip is F42 UK.

I don't see how any of this illegal, they are separate companies, that's why you have separate companies to run them separately.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

atxsperg posted:

i don't understand, i'm making no predictions only saying look at the past year and count the missing faces.

You could add actual value to the thread and do it yourself.

Or, you could come around and make vague predictions.

But for me personally, I like this thread for two reasons:

1. Creative/artistic content posters
2. Humor

You're providing neither, so your posts are poop.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Please tell us about the stupid ways you almost killed yourself when young or gtfo

So I have a long list of almost killing myself through stupidity when young, so I'll share this one with you as it's one that sticks in my mind. There is a place in Yorkshire, UK, called Brimham Rocks it's full of crazy rocks like this:

When I was in my teens I was there with a couple of girls I was trying to impress, so I said "I can climb any rock in this place" They looked at me, then eachother then at the rocks all around us. "that one" they said pointing to an utter bastard of a rock formation. Well, male pride and all that so I said "piece of cake" and went and started climbing. I got about 25 foot up the rockface and then realised I was in some deep deep poo poo, couldn't go any further up and... couldn't get down either. I hung on for what felt like forever, while the 2 girls made increasingly sarcastic comments. Then they started laughing which was too much so I tried to go higher. Then I fell off the rock. The landing was... bad. I sprained my ankle and walloped my head, ringing in my ears and eveything was too bright & I couldn't see properly - (although I could hear the girls laughing themselves sick). I had to go see the doctor and couldn't walk properly for a month.

e: to fix image link

Galarox fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 7, 2016

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wafflz posted:

Yeah but that is how much charter fishing costs, video games cost 60 dollars or less. So think of it like someone spending $26,000 to charter a seat that normal people pay $1250 for.

I would counter that it is exactly how much buying jpegs of a never to be space game costs.

There are many hobbies that are more expensive. Saying they are all idiots for doing what makes them happy makes you look like the one who needs a better hobby or sustainable income.

Trying to figure out why people spend their money on things is silly. Like anyone has to adhere to whatever it is you "value".

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I can't even make sense of half the poo poo CIG does anymore. Its such a quagmire of bullshit and :can: that I can't even keep up. The remains of my brain have packed up and left the building.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

nah, cbf to try and deal with it.

I'm busy looking at cameras I can't afford

I was all set to get a D810, but then the D5/D500 announcement came & now I'm waiting for a high-resolution FX camera that has the QoL improvements from those new bodies.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey speaking of mental illness, does anybody know what happened to that King Autist who went to great lengths to make his basement look like a Constellation bridge and then completely hosed it up anyway?

I hope that setup works with Elite.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kayak likes listening to the Yoga Today lady, but he's not great at the actual yoga part yet.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Well first you have to have no loving idea what you're doing.

And then you have to spend all your money on supplies.

The rest kind of takes care of itself, I'd imagine.

Interestingly enough, this was also Chris Roberts' approach to creating Star Citizen.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Galarox posted:

So I have a long list of almost killing myself through stupidity when young, so I'll share this one with you as it's one that sticks in my mind. There is a place in Yorkshire, UK, called Brimham Rocks it's full of crazy rocks like this:

When I was in my teens I was there with a couple of girls I was trying to impress, so I said "I can climb any rock in this place" They looked at me, then eachother then at the rocks all around us. "that one" they said pointing to an utter bastard of a rock formation. Well, male pride and all that so I said "piece of cake" and went and started climbing. I got about 25 foot up the rockface and then realised I was in some deep deep poo poo, couldn't go any further up and... couldn't get down either. I hung on for what felt like forever, while the 2 girls made increasingly sarcastic comments. Then they started laughing which was too much so I tried to go higher. Then I fell off the rock. The landing was... bad. I sprained my ankle and walloped my head, ringing in my ears and eveything was too bright & I couldn't see properly - (although I could hear the girls laughing themselves sick). I had to go see the doctor and couldn't walk properly for a month.

And now you're a homosexual.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Galarox posted:

Brimham rocks are fantastic, as are Yorkshiremen. :smuggo:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I absolutely hated Elite Dangerous till I went to the local shop and got a joystick. It changes the game to playable and fun.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

"We are not all equal so get used to it."

Star Unequal Citizen.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I grew up with the Evel Kneivel rage. So we made several ramps, jumps and cliffs dives using banana seat bikes that had a tendency to snap at the forks sending you face planting into the pavement/trees/rocks/what not.

Then BMX bikes came out, and things got even worse/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Lladre posted:

I absolutely hated Elite Dangerous till I went to the local shop and got a joystick. It changes the game to playable and fun.

I like it with M:KB.

Then again, I enjoy DayZ's digital jogging simulator so I dunno if that invalidates my opinion.

• Locked thread