Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dear E/N,
Today was a good day - I went to an interview, and had a ton of fun with the people there - they are now my friends, and I will hug them forever and ever and ever...

Seriously - I feel a little bad because when I told them my age they said 'Oh.. we can't see that' and I then told them it was right there on page 3 of my resume, after which they informed me that it was a compliment...

My answer was 'Yeah - I know I'm unreasonably pretty'.

I had to take an intelligence test, which showed that I had intelligence, and then they subjected me to a hogan test - one of the questions was 'do you have any residual bitterness towards your parents' - which was a really good question, so I decided that I had to ask that of the interviewer when it was my turn to ask questions.

We had a good chat about how we felt towards our parents, and why they have hosed up our lives, the goddamn bastards...

(No - what happened was that I told the guy that a question like that was clearly stepping over the line, and that they should stop using the hogan test, because it was to americanised to be used in other cultural settings - we do not discuss 'spirituality' in personality tests in secular europe, neither do we answer questions about our parents and our relationships with our families - but apparently americans do - which blows my loving mind).

After a while they decided to test my english, so we had to switch to speaking english.. this was awesome - especially since I had asked a barrage of questions just before, and they spend the next 10 minutes answering them... in English... (during which I basically just audibly nodded my head). I think I passed the English test with flying colours.

Then I went and bought 4 kilos of nutella, for my youngest daughter - which is around 20% of her bodyweight when I come to think of it...

Next time I will buy her body weight in nutella.

Your pal

Happy Hat

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Happy Hat posted:

(No - what happened was that I told the guy that a question like that was clearly stepping over the line, and that they should stop using the hogan test, because it was to americanised to be used in other cultural settings - we do not discuss 'spirituality' in personality tests in secular europe, neither do we answer questions about our parents and our relationships with our families - but apparently americans do - which blows my loving mind).

I'm American, and I've never once been asked about this. Asking about spirituality in particular is almost asking for a discrimination lawsuit.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Marta Velasquez posted:

I'm American, and I've never once been asked about this. Asking about spirituality in particular is almost asking for a discrimination lawsuit.

It was very, very odd...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Marta Velasquez posted:

Yeah, that's like saying "the reason you didn't hire me is because I gave the wrong answer when you asked if I was a Muslim."

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, that's like saying "the reason you didn't hire me is because I gave the wrong answer when you asked if I was a Muslim."

well yeah, thats obv a good reason

also screw you dad, i am good enough.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Asking personal questions in an interview is soooooo illegal in the U.S.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The part of one of one of those "personality" tests? During my one attempt to work full-time job they had me take one after I had passed a certain point in the interview process. I look up on my phone real quick and it looks like it's something designed to single out meek and subservient retail workers, which seems dumb, the gig I was applying for really requires you to be aggressive as gently caress.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One time in an interview I got asked what my favorite baseball team was and an FBI SWAT team immediately busted into the room and brutally murdered all the offending middle managers.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Seems like a good thing

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm from the most churchy state in America and that interview sounds like it was put through google translate a few too many times. What country was it in?

Happy Hat posted:

Then I went and bought 4 kilos of nutella, for my youngest daughter - which is around 20% of her bodyweight when I come to think of it...

Next time I will buy her body weight in nutella.
My dad does this thing where every birthday in our family he makes a specific kind of cake we ask him for. And since he likes to cook we give him a challenge. Last year my sister asked him to make a nutella cake, and he tried two different recipes but they had a really muted flavor and tasted more like a bland spice bread. I told him to either make a hazlenut flavored chocolate cake or a chocolate flavored hazelnut cake, because dumping a bunch of nutella into it just killed it for some reason. Not enough contrasting flavors? In the end he gave up and we all had one slice each before letting it go stale :(

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

MrSlam posted:

I'm from the most churchy state in America and that interview sounds like it was put through google translate a few too many times. What country was it in?

My dad does this thing where every birthday in our family he makes a specific kind of cake we ask him for. And since he likes to cook we give him a challenge. Last year my sister asked him to make a nutella cake, and he tried two different recipes but they had a really muted flavor and tasted more like a bland spice bread. I told him to either make a hazlenut flavored chocolate cake or a chocolate flavored hazelnut cake, because dumping a bunch of nutella into it just killed it for some reason. Not enough contrasting flavors? In the end he gave up and we all had one slice each before letting it go stale :(

I wonder what would happen if a person were to take a banana bread recipe and just replace all the banana with nutella.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I wonder what would happen if a person were to take a banana bread recipe and just replace all the banana with nutella.

Prolly too oily. But maybe if you just put nutella on bananna bread.... Then again, I like cheese on my bananna bread, so what do I know.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my #1 interview tip is to really loudly and angrily ask "ARE YOU A loving GOON??!,!!?!," and storm out regardless

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

food therapy friday trip report:

monday all I knew was I wanted bratwurst. So Friday I headed out, picked some up, and thought, what goes well with brats? I ended up scoring a yellow onion, some brat mustard, then figured what the hell and got some baby portabellas and some oyster mushrooms.

I started the brats in a cast iron pan with butter and once they were pretty brown i seasoned with tarragon a bit and then added the (diced) onion to sauté down. Once the onions were close to clear I hit them with a bit of tabasco and brown sugar, stirred it around, then added the mushrooms to the pan.

Once everything was done I took the bratwurst out of the pan, butterflied them, and put the new surface against the heat for just a bit. I mustarded up a toasted bagel, slapped on the butterflied sausage, topped with onions/shrooms, and then closed the bagel sandwich.

a++++ would cook again. just not for food therapy friday because them's the rules.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I also made brats last night. Thought I had sauerkraut on hand, but did not. Substituted kimchi. It was excellent. Would kimchi again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You're FoH, yeah?

Otherwise, I Got Words For You Bro.

(Mostly about why isn't there Jarlsberg on that goofy rear end sandwich)(

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You're FoH, yeah?

Otherwise, I Got Words For You Bro.

(Mostly about why isn't there Jarlsberg on that goofy rear end sandwich)(

I actually spent like half an hour thinking about cheeses before deciding thinking that much was running counter to the fast and loose improvisation I was trying to practice and moved forward without.

And my background is mostly FoH, expoed some before, now doing admin stuff professionally, yeah--but once yachting season starts I'll be running a kitchen every saturday morning :cool:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Please ignore Chefy Chef when he's being all Chefy Chef.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

Oh, let him Chef. It's like watching a caged tiger. Exciting and dangerous, but at the same time we forums readers are safe and protected by the bars of the Internet, and able to look down into the Tiger/Chef Pit and slyly throw popcorn at it when the keeper's not looking.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

MrSlam posted:

In Denmark.

The test in question is the Hogan test - administered by the Hogan Assessment Systems.

The major advantage of the Hogan test is that is at a competitive price point - it consists of something like 600 questions where you have to answer 'Most like me', or 'Not like me'. Some of the questions are:

"I have residual bitterness towards my parents from growing up"
"I think spirituality is very important"
"I think it is important to influence decisions"

And then each question is repeated in variants again and again and again (and yet again).

A bit nerdy stuff from my different conversations about the topic.
I believe it to categorise people in 14-16 different quadrants. The test eliminates the entire issue of consistency of revealed preferences in the testing setup - which is a good thing, since usually tests that have consistency scores underlying are scored wildly extreme by those able to see through the 8-20 different dimensions when they're posed with the questions, the highly intelligent usually end up in situations where they're scored with borderline personalities in these tests.

I've discussed these tests with several psychologists and psychotherapists by now, people in my own network. They're all consistently and consequently stating the same thing over and over again, which is that the tests are positively affirming peoples personalities, such that you cannot declare yourself as disagreeing with the test. This is interesting, as they're basically doing the same as horoscopes.

The psychologists and psychotherapists then attack the basic foundation for the tests, where they gave me the example of the MBTI (Meyers Briggs Type Indicator) - another test I've been submitted to a few times.

50% of those tested exhibits a significantly different test score within 2 weeks of the original test, and since there's no indicator that personality differs this wildly in such a short period of time this rules out the test as anything but, at best, a score of 'how do you want to be perceived'. The underlying science of the tests (as with the MBTI - which is based on Jungian type indicators, later dismissed as being irrelevant and unusable by the psychology community - as with most of Jungian psychology) is flawed at best and simply wrong.

The tests are described by the psychologists I discussed them with as being "for entertainment purposes at best, damaging for the person at worst, because of their apparent credibility for the company and testee" - one of the persons I spoke with told me that "I would describe the blood type tests in China as a more credible indicator of the potential success for the person than this", and yet it is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Basically the prolificacy of the test is damaging for both talent and for companies, and an even more competitive price point than hogan is submitting people to random Cosmo tests, and using those as an off-set for a conversation.

The really fun thing is that the main indicator of a persons success in a company is actually his/hers intelligence. These tests are (off course) administered too, but since intelligence tests actually have standards etc. they're now called 'aptitude tests'. In this example the aptitude test consisted of 50 questions of a mathematical, logical, language understanding etc. tests.

Examples could be:
- Which is the next number in this sequence: 1 2 3 5 7 11?
- Which is not like the other: a. Apple b. Tomato c. Pear d. Plum e. Banana
- If you have 6 windows, and for each window need 4,5 m of fabric to make the curtains, and curtain fabric is USD 8,01 per m - how much would that be in DKK when the price of an USD is 7,56 in DKK?

For those 50 questions you have 12 minutes to complete the test, and the test clearly states that you shouldn't expect to complete them all. (You cannot use a calculator)

What they're actually interested in here is your strategy for the test - they expect you to fail in completing the test, such that they can see if you have a strategy where you approach the test by filling it out from one end to the other, or 'saving questions for later' and which type of questions it is, since they're testing your 'aptitude' in 4 dimensions. At the same time they give you an overall score.

This test is flawed too - if you see the sample questions, there's 2 logical errors in those (and these are real questions for the test - I noticed more errors in the test).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So basically...

The chinese focus on blood type is as good an indicator of a persons success...

They do not call them intelligence tests anymore because they're not allowed to administer intelligence tests - that requires an actual education..

Their tests are logically flawed...

If you know anything about isoquants and revealed preferences you're hosed...

If you're intelligent you're scoring as borderline, but the test administrator won't know it because nobody with any significant intelligence would be in that field of work...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Or...

These tests are as efficient at estimating the capabilities of a person as a hentai schoolgirl cosplaying, middleaged, obese, white ginger man flailing his arms at an oncoming truck while chanting spells from 'the elder scrolls' in high-elvish.

They don't say a loving lot, they make absolutely no sense, and the only benefit is entertainment for those observing, with a dread that it will all end in tears, school uniforms flying through the air and skidmarks on oversized girl-panties.

Edit: Added photographical illustration of my esteem of the tests.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 11, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

man im fuckin eating :barf:

Do we have a recipe book thread? I've had decent success putting together bento lunches for myself, even if I don't do nearly enough preparation for daily lunches, but I don't have any dinner recipes aside from Mom's Red Cabbage and Kielbasa Stew (recipe available on request :v:). I'd love a good collection of recipes to look up on the way to the supermarket after work.

I'm learning to cook for myself, and I've got a book for bento lunches, but those are heavily skewed towards Japanese/general Asian foods and often use ingredients and produce you can't easily find in the US (konbu, mitsuba greens, etc.). I can certainly find them if needed, but I'd prefer using what I have on hand. Plus the only cookbook I have right now is something by Rachael Ray and :gonk:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

man im fuckin eating :barf:

Do we have a recipe book thread? I've had decent success putting together bento lunches for myself, even if I don't do nearly enough preparation for daily lunches, but I don't have any dinner recipes aside from Mom's Red Cabbage and Kielbasa Stew (recipe available on request :v:). I'd love a good collection of recipes to look up on the way to the supermarket after work.

I'm learning to cook for myself, and I've got a book for bento lunches, but those are heavily skewed towards Japanese/general Asian foods and often use ingredients and produce you can't easily find in the US (konbu, mitsuba greens, etc.). I can certainly find them if needed, but I'd prefer using what I have on hand. Plus the only cookbook I have right now is something by Rachael Ray and :gonk:

Well, what do you like to eat or cook? If you just want to learn about cooking fundamentals, Ratio is fantastic. To cover everything under the sun, you cant go wrong with The Joy Of Cooking. Even though he's fallen out of favor (for being a douchebag), any of the guides by Alton Brown are still fun (especially if you get one with the fridge magnets) I think we did have a cook book thread at some point.

Best place to get cook books is the local Goodwill. Just browse, flip though things. Pick what you like.

\/\/Aw, but nothing beats leafing through a cookbook at breakfast while you plan what you'll do for dinner, then spend the whole day thinking about all those good recipe ideas... \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 13, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Pretty much any major cookbook is available in digital form at a steeply discounted price, if you use the right search engine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Pretty much any major cookbook is available in digital form at a steeply discounted price, if you use the right search engine.
If this is a coyly-worded invitation to piracy then I'll just say that you have to be pretty loving dedicated to larceny to resort to piracy to lay your hands on most popular cookbooks. A used copy of anything that's gone through more than a couple printings can generally be had literally for the cost of shipping. Like there are a shitload of used copies of Joy of Cooking available from sellers on amazon for a loving penny plus a couple bucks shipping.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In what way is Alton Brown a douchebag?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

The same way you are. The kind that everybody knows about. DOUCHE!

Only kidding. I really like your posts.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

He's got a whole superiority complex thing when it comes to food. There's a Nerdist thing where he makes fish sticks and just spends the whole time berating the hosts, and they don't even realize it.

Also heard he's a little bit racist, nothing to back that up though.

I've met the guy on multiple occasions, and felt that he's an alright dude.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

He's got a whole superiority complex thing when it comes to food.

:ironicat:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I've met the guy on multiple occasions, and felt that he's an alright dude.

That's proof enough for me

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, I'm not going to start an Alton Brown argument. Think whatever you want of the dude, his books and old show are good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

He's got a whole superiority complex thing when it comes to food

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, I'm not going to start an Alton Brown argument. Think whatever you want of the dude, his books and old show are good.

He's just getting older and crotchety.

This whole bit where he teaches completely unprepared people to make fishsticks is hilarious though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZhSzLx5eBg

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He hates fat people, not like "ugh" but like full-on reddit/GBS-level crazy hate, and apparently he's an rear end in a top hat to them at signings.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

He also eats basically nothing but sardines these days, and while I love sardines about as much as anyone eating nothing but them seems a little unhinged.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This just in, brilliant health scientist Alton Brown proves conclusively that exercising and watching TV/playing video games are mutually excluse. A "get off my lawn with your NintendoStations and your eWhatzits, drat kids" if I've ever seen one.

I love Good Eats, I really do, but gently caress Alton Brown.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He apparently likes to make casually racists jokes about colored people as well.

Also, if you call him a company man because he defended Paula Deen when she announced she had diabeetus only once she figured out how to make money off of it, he will accuse you of having your head up your rear end.

The bottom line is he is the reason a lot of us here got into cooking science and discovered Harold McGee. Good Eats was great introduction to cooking and lots of us learned valuable techniques from him. He has some good and entertaining cookbooks. He is also pretty weird, a little racist, and bigoted against fat people.

So lots of us are kind of over him. I don't bear him any ill will or anything, but it's possible for someone to have taught you a lot and have been funny and all that, and also to kind of be a self-righteous douchebag. Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah FGR's nailed it. I'd also like to add that there's a definite line where you're learning the science behind cooking and why you do it and AB was mind blowing but once you get past that hurdle, looking back it's all over complicated and silly.

Just look at this poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!