Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Pastor Perineum posted:

the best ginger beer:

all the other ones in my area suck rear end in comparison. cane sugar > hfcs

that one sucks

Maine Root is my fav, Cock N Bull a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
haddon house makes good smoked oysters, how are their sardines?

the packaging reminds me of the 1970s.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite ginger ale

Cheap, sweet, just a little fiery, nice and artificial, it's real good soda. In some areas they even have it at Walmart.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also the best sugar is beet sugar. It has a gentle floral taste that cane lacks. It's a shame it's so hard to find, especially since beets don't require a tropical climate.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
And cane syrup has an herbaceous note that beet sugar lacks.

Like look at this poo poo:

What could be more dadly?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Overwined posted:

And cane syrup has an herbaceous note that beet sugar l

Meebleble mee mee a blah blah bloobloo

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Meebleble mee mee a blah blah bloobloo

I'm making a dadcred check and calling out your dadcard. I bet you haven't even done your taxes yet.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Beh you bibbint do da doo doo det

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

haddon house makes good smoked oysters, how are their sardines?

the packaging reminds me of the 1970s.

The sardines are of comparable quality to KO but at least at my local store that stocks them more expensive.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Found these mofos today-

Anyone tried them? I've never had anchovies before except on pizza or as paste. Tomorrow I'm gonna lay in my hammock and eat the gently caress out of these and some Bela 'dines.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

pahuyuth posted:

Found these mofos today-

Anyone tried them? I've never had anchovies before except on pizza or as paste. Tomorrow I'm gonna lay in my hammock and eat the gently caress out of these and some Bela 'dines.

I decided to give anchovies and sardines a shot for the first time this weekend and that's what I got. They were good. Like similar to canned tuna in taste and texture, but a little saltier. I mashed them up with some lemon vinagrette I made, Louisiana hot sauce, and a little bit of onion and pickle. Put that on crackers.

I also bought some Bela cayenne pepper 'dines I will try soon.

e: I just found the motherload of sardine reviews: http://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/p/sardine-list.html

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 7, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

pahuyuth posted:

Found these mofos today-

White anchovies are uncured and suitable for eating as-is. I didn't know they sold em in a can, I've only ever seen em like this:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Okay, Sardudes. What do I do with smoked kippers and smoked oysters?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

have you tried putting them in your mouth?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Eat the kipper with a fork. I you have been working on the car and you have grease under your nails, you may use your fingers.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I like my smoked kipper with diced onions and those little green cock suckers.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

the yeti posted:

Continuing this line of enquiry, Snow's minced clams, while not smoky and amazing, make for rad pasta with a bit of red sauce and a bit of basil. If relatively light on calories clams packed in water isn't your thing you could probably fix that by piling clam + sauce on a baguette and toasting brie or mozz over it :chef:

Snow's clams are really great, and this may be controversial but imo clams can easily be overwhelmed by a lot of tomato. Red clam sauce and manhattan chowder are recognizable as food and everything but the clams wind up being just little chewy nodules that taste like tomatoes, clearly inferior to white clam sauce or NE clam chowder. Now, if you simmer a big fat chunk of striped bass in garlicky clam broth with clams and shrimp and like one chopped tomato that's a different story.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
i want the sardine in my mouth, a bottle of sarsaparilla
i got coffee and a cigarette, and sad instead

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

Smoked kippers are like fish-bacon, I like em on slices of baguette....no accoutrements needed. I like em better than sardines truthfully :-/

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

On toast. Smoked oysters can have a hint of pepper or horseradish mustard.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Myron Baloney posted:

Snow's clams are really great, and this may be controversial but imo clams can easily be overwhelmed by a lot of tomato. Red clam sauce and manhattan chowder are recognizable as food and everything but the clams wind up being just little chewy nodules that taste like tomatoes, clearly inferior to white clam sauce or NE clam chowder. Now, if you simmer a big fat chunk of striped bass in garlicky clam broth with clams and shrimp and like one chopped tomato that's a different story.

The overwhelming thing is def true, in retrospect. I'm used to building pretty robust red sauces even starting from jarred. Next time I'll have to try it more simply dressed, a couple egg yolks and S&P or something like that.

The striped bass thing is going on the to-try roster too :chef:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Saveur has a gallery of sardine recipes up, and for once at least half of them work with tinned fishies. Gonna go to the store and get the stuff for this tonight I hope. http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/charmoula-stuffed-sardines

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Smoked oysters were good on plain crackers. Nothing else needed. Dogs enjoyed the olive oil remnants.

Canned seafood is p cool.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Had a sardiney weekend -- not only did I get to introduce my stepdad to GOOD sardines and anchovies, I got to try two brands I've been looking to try for a while, La Morgada and Matiz. Morgada was good, but holy poo poo those Matiz fishies. I've had their octopus, and it's good, but these were easily my new number one. Bought six cans then and there, just used my first one for lunch (1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1/2 tin Matiz sardines, 1/2 tin Goya octopus, 1/2 avocado, 2/3 cup quick pickled cucumbers), drat that was good.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:siren:SOMEONE CALL THE DAD POLICE WE MIGHT HAVE A SITUATION HERE:siren:

nah jk quinoa is p. good.Seems like a good bowl of food.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

My brain melted at the store and I couldn't remember how american dates worked so I bought a tin of anchovies that say best by 2/11/2016, are they going to be okay? They were on sale and I wanted some for spaghetti sauce. I mean they're in oil and salt, I think they'll be fine but I want to make sure I'm reading the date correctly because I feel like a loving moron

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of those dates can be safely ignored. If the can isn't deformed (no swelling) and the fish smells normal you're ok.

As was mentioned before in this thread some people eat vintage or aged sardines. King Oscar mailed a few cans of decades old dines in a little display box to a poster in this thread because she won the haiku competition.

The date on the can indicates they are a couple of months past where the manufacturer wants the vendor to take them off stock. Obviously your usual sardine pack is good for years, like any other canned thing. So in this case even if the sell by date meant something eating a can of dines that is two months past would be like drinking milk a few hours after midnight has stuck and the date on the carton is now technically yesterday.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 8, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think there is very little risk of anyone unknowingly eating a can of fish that has gone bad.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Nice, thank you! I figured it'd be fine but I wanted to double check :)

I've always enjoyed anchovies because I love salty food, but those white anchovies look great.

e: ^^ :lol:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A dad trusts his own nose (and wallet) above all other metrics of freshness

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Snoo posted:

My brain melted at the store and I couldn't remember how american dates worked so I bought a tin of anchovies that say best by 2/11/2016, are they going to be okay? They were on sale and I wanted some for spaghetti sauce. I mean they're in oil and salt, I think they'll be fine but I want to make sure I'm reading the date correctly because I feel like a loving moron

I frequently buy hummus and take like a month to finish it even though it says to consume within one week of opening. Dates are bullshit. Just smell whatever you're eating/drinking.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Lawyers, of all people, don't know poo poo about what's good or what isn't.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I made linguine with clams. I didn't look on youtube first I was just like "eh I'll do some flour in there and a bit of chicken bullion don't have no wine, got two can a clam, ehhhh." It turned out good. I looked on youtube after and found this, which is a real bad cooking video made by a confused and very unhealthy man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdO-_BpW-Gw

I think he died a few minutes after this really bad video was made, and possibly edited, or mixed, because the sound randomly overlaps, anyway the channel that has it up should be ashamed, as should all Italians for calling cooking 101 a "cuisine"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I made breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and fried potatoes with cheddar cheese and decided to add sardines.

Do not make this mistake.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Keith Atherton posted:

I made breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and fried potatoes with cheddar cheese and decided to add sardines.

Do not make this mistake.

Well I appreciate the commitment to the cause

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Most of those dates can be safely ignored. If the can isn't deformed (no swelling) and the fish smells normal you're ok.

As was mentioned before in this thread some people eat vintage or aged sardines. King Oscar mailed a few cans of decades old dines in a little display box to a poster in this thread because she won the haiku competition.

The date on the can indicates they are a couple of months past where the manufacturer wants the vendor to take them off stock. Obviously your usual sardine pack is good for years, like any other canned thing. So in this case even if the sell by date meant something eating a can of dines that is two months past would be like drinking milk a few hours after midnight has stuck and the date on the carton is now technically yesterday.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Eat the kipper with a fork. I you have been working on the car and you have grease under your nails, you may use your fingers.

This is correct. For a more authentic smoked oyster experience, eat them in your garage sitting on a stool or standing over a plastic utility sink while watching the local news on a 5" Sharp Sidekick.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

super macho dude posted:

This is correct. For a more authentic smoked oyster experience, eat them in your garage sitting on a stool or standing over a plastic utility sink while watching the local news on a 5" Sharp Sidekick.

I couldn't do this because I'm out of plastic forks. Also I'm not divorced. Experience would be ruined.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sheep-Goats posted:

the channel that has it up should be ashamed, as should all Italians for calling cooking 101 a "cuisine"

Says the guy putting chicken bullion and flour into a clam sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

got so drunk last night i can remember what i ate but it may have included a tin of sardines at 3 am