Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I saw the vampire once set up at the back of the normal shop and she sold cursed items for cheap.

She'll sometimes set up in a random room by herself as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Fun fact about the secret rooms:
Remember the starting weapon descriptions? The part where it states that they cannot reveal secret rooms? The game is lying to you. To demonstrate what I mean, break one of the lamps on the first floor with your starter gun. Note the red circle that pops up. If you hit a secret wall with the starter gun, the bullet puff is this rather than the standard puff. Secret room loot can vary, but it can include open or locked chests, as well as a bunch of basic pickups. Found 1.5 hearts in one of those.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Roluth posted:

Fun fact about the secret rooms:
Remember the starting weapon descriptions? The part where it states that they cannot reveal secret rooms? The game is lying to you. To demonstrate what I mean, break one of the lamps on the first floor with your starter gun. Note the red circle that pops up. If you hit a secret wall with the starter gun, the bullet puff is this rather than the standard puff. Secret room loot can vary, but it can include open or locked chests, as well as a bunch of basic pickups. Found 1.5 hearts in one of those.

I found one of those locations where the puff was different with the starter gun but using a blank didn't reveal a secret room there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

It also seems like the levels get harder/more complex the farther you've made it with a character. The first floor feels way different now with the Convict and Hunter than when I first started playing.

I think this is correct -- can't prove it but I feel like I'm seeing enemies on Chamber 1 that never showed up there my first few runs.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Jusupov posted:

I found one of those locations where the puff was different with the starter gun but using a blank didn't reveal a secret room there.

With me, it worked several times, though I did find a place where it didn't work. That place was pretty close to a torch, so I dunno. Maybe poke those spots with another weapon first to confirm before wasting the blank? I should look into this more.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Such a promising start with a dice room giving me Unsteady (screenshake) but also Reloaded (double ammo) shame I suck at the bullet pattern poo poo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Elevator spoilers: does the Busted TV always spawn in the maintenance room of chamber 2? Or does it spawn in any maintenance room? If it's the latter than the actual point of the elevators is unlocking The Robot gungeoneer

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I found a gun that turns into a sword when you reload and reflects all enemy bullets in the process. This gun is cool as heck (Small video of it)

Then I noticed that the sword swings do damage so I chose to get into a Fist fight with Gatling Gull

Orv
May 4, 2011
That gun got me my first trip to floor four, it's so drat good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Watch out though! Holding anything to do with swords/blades ups your "curse" stat which makes you encounter harder enemies and some other poo poo

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shine posted:

I just had five consecutive games where there were no guns on the first level. This game would be much better if it had a guaranteed weapon spawn on each stage, even if it wasn't necessarily a great weapon, because the starter guns don't do enough damage and are not enough fun to use. I can still kill the first boss with starter guns but it's no fun to shoot something that many times. At least in Nuclear Throne you can quickly kill the first boss with the starting pistol (which you aren't ever required to have at that point, since NT has a weapon chest in every stage and the first boss is in the third stage).

I want to like this game a lot more than I do. I like the exploration aspect of it, but its frustrating when you run around checking out every room and there's little or nothing to find.

The only character that needs a gun to have much of a chance is the Pilot, all the other characters have decent enough starting weapons to make it past the first boss.

I'm not going to lie, not getting a gun chest on the first floor hurts, but I haven't found it to be something that ruins a run a majority of the time.

Is the reveal the secret doors item (it is a passive that looks like a stack of money, I don't remember its exact name.) broken, or do some floors not have secret rooms? I found two little grey guys pointing at breakable sections of the wall on the floor I found the item, but I never saw them again on the two floors after that one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

goferchan posted:

Watch out though! Holding anything to do with swords/blades ups your "curse" stat which makes you encounter harder enemies and some other poo poo

Fine by me. I have the Dek4rd which kills every single minor enemy in one hit in seems, the proton backpack, smiley's revolver and this sweet reflect thing :v:

I mean I'm still gonna die before seeing the end but right now I'm pretty much set.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I found a gun that turns into a sword when you reload and reflects all enemy bullets in the process. This gun is cool as heck (Small video of it)

Then I noticed that the sword swings do damage so I chose to get into a Fist fight with Gatling Gull

It's such a good gun, you can pop one shot off, reload, and use the enemies' bullets to save ludicrous amounts of ammo through playthroughs

There's also a passive pickup that lets you do the same thing with your rolls!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just had to kill Wallmonger 100 -> 0 with the Gamma Ray, as I did not get a single ammo drop during the entirety of floor 3 and 4.
Fun times.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Underwhelmed posted:

The only character that needs a gun to have much of a chance is the Pilot, all the other characters have decent enough starting weapons to make it past the first boss.

I'm not going to lie, not getting a gun chest on the first floor hurts, but I haven't found it to be something that ruins a run a majority of the time.

The problem is the game is slow enough as it is, the longer you go without a decent weapon the more boring it gets. Of course I felt the same about BoI too. The first few floors generally sucked because it took so long to kill things.

That is the one area I think Nuclear Throne got right. Enemies are deadly but so are you, so the speed of the game is much faster. I was hoping that this game would take the fast paced nature of Nuclear Throne and mix it with the sheer number of item combinations in Isaac but unfortunately it ended up being basically BoI with guns and a bullet hell element. I hope they intend on adding modding capabilities but I don't know that they will. I'd love a mod that just doubles the damage of enemies and players.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the PS4 has a rendering issue. I just lost my sweet gun reflect run on floor 4 because a invisible bullet hit me.

Like I was standing on one end of the room firing at a couple enemies and I suddenly died despite nothing being near me- journal just said a bullet kin killed me and showed a giant red bullet hitting me which never happened.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I found a room with a big ornate mirror in it and a chest icon on the minimap...was I supposed to not shoot the mirror?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I made the exact same mistake. I think you're supposed to hit interact at the mirror, which opens the chest and breaks the mirror.

Breaking the mirror raises your curse level regardless though :toot:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is there actually any point to curse?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Hm, I didn't see the chest in the reflection so I just shot the mirror.

If they didn't want it to be shot at, they wouldn't have put it there!

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Orv posted:

Pretty sure it means you get more of the red stronger enemies.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hm, I didn't see the chest in the reflection so I just shot the mirror.

If they didn't want it to be shot at, they wouldn't have put it there!

frankly the gungeon is a horrible place to put anything that is weak to bullets

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I realized last night that the Convict's revolver is the only semi-auto starter weapon, and have been doing consistently better with her than either the Marine or the Pilot. I think her revolver has the longest range of the starter weapons as well, but poo poo accuracy.

It also seems like the levels get harder/more complex the farther you've made it with a character. The first floor feels way different now with the Convict and Hunter than when I first started playing.

Yeah, the Convict is my personal favorite. I'm pretty positive that her revolver is the highest DPS of the starting guns (or at least, the best burst)- it's reload time is extremely short. With mouse and keyboard, any basic minion consistently dies with one clip at surprisingly long range. She's high-risk, high-reward since both her starting guns encourage getting in close and personal, and if you happen to get shot you actually get a buff. That buff, by the way, seems very significant. I don't know about stronger enemies, but the "default" guys go down in two revolver shots instead of three. Her main issue is that she has trouble with a lot of bosses since you generally want to avoid close combat with them. They're still killable, even without getting a first floor gun, but I have trouble getting flawless with her.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

It increases the chance of running into "jammed" (red) enemies. They deal a heart of damage, and can take a lot more punishment. If you raise your curse high enough, the bosses will be replaced with upgraded versions, and if you raise it too high, a reaper will start following you wherever you go.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It increases the chance of running into "jammed" (red) enemies. They deal a heart of damage, and can take a lot more punishment. If you raise your curse high enough, the bosses will be replaced with upgraded versions, and if you raise it too high, a reaper will start following you wherever you go.

I guess what I meant is is there any point besides gently caress you.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ran into a chest with a fuse going to it, lockpicked it and broke the lock so I shot it and it turned into a loving mimic.

They really didn't want me to get that item.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

Well, a lot of good equipment is cursed, so you can see it as part of the price of using them.

Apparently beating the cursed bosses unlocks some special unlocks, but I'm not 100% on that one.

Edit: There's also a special shop you can only enter if you're cursed, although it seems extremely rare. I have only run into it once.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 8, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Call me a casual or whatever but I think a fair compromise for getting the health up items from the boss would be to make armor hits not count against you. Kinda like soul hearts in Issac for purposes of the devil room chance.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So i get to the end, with the bullet, kill the Dragun and then use the gun and it cuts to black as I warp back in time and just hangs there while the credits music plays. This is the second time its happened, tho first time was before i got the bullet.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got one of those rainbow chests on chamber 2 and I finally made it to chamber 5 for the first time. Promptly died to brand new traps since Kill Pillars took away 4 armor and 3 hearts.

Is there a way to see these stats the game mentions, like curses, blessings, damage, etc

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wow screw this rat that steals my poo poo and gets mad at me for shooting at him. Please tell me there's some way to kill the cheating poo poo.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/v/59187602

Here's a stream the devs hopped in on. At around 33 min (I think), the devs say that drop rate increases as you play more. What?
:psyduck:
They did mention that there were some things balance-wise they wanted to change, as well as patching in some features that didn't make it for release, like more stuff and suspend saves.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Orv posted:

There's a secret room that you either have to have high curse or $100 to enter, not sure what's in it tho

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roluth posted:

Here's a stream the devs hopped in on. At around 33 min (I think), the devs say that drop rate increases as you play more. What?
They did mention that there were some things balance-wise they wanted to change, as well as patching in some features that didn't make it for release, like more stuff and suspend saves.

I'm getting the sense that maybe this spent a little too long in an insular dev testing setting and ended up with some really bad ideas.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game had an update a little while ago, any patch notes anywhere?

edit: Found it, they're posted as news updates on gungeoneers.com:

quote:

1.0.2 Changelog
=========================
Fixed a bug which could cause a corrupted save file
Fixed multiple issues which could cause dropped controller inputs or inconsistent controller vibration
Hegemony credits will now be auto-collected if they would otherwise be stuck inside a wall
Fixed an issue where having too much armor could break a shortcut quest
Fixed an issue with the Red Bandana
Respawning with the Clone item after dying in some boss fights will no longer prevent player movement in some directions
Fixed an issue where acing Winchester games could cause the player to be stuck in a conversation

It's just bugfixes, but I've had the hegemony credits thing happen so it's nice that they've fixed that. It will probably be a while before balance changes start rolling out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2016

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Exhibit B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvAfFG1XNE0
This is one of their testers flawlessing all five floor bosses in one run. Has 160+ hours recorded on Steam.

VVV: I guess that makes more sense. Wasn't very clear in the video, and seeing the difficulty of the game, it's not hard to make assumptions like I did. False alarm! (until proven, at least).

Roluth fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 8, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

orangelex44 posted:

With mouse and keyboard, any basic minion consistently dies with one clip at surprisingly long range.

That isn't unique to her. The marine can kill three (!) basic bullet-kin in a single reload.

Roluth posted:

He says "your runs that you're doing 10 or 15 hours in are gonna give you way more chances to get loot than the earlier ones".

I assume what he means is that you'll be living longer, getting deeper, and seeing more chests.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Dunno if it's technically a hidden thing or not, but Try pushing a table into a pit. Gets you a pretty funny achievement.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FrickenMoron posted:

Just make Nuclear Throne with 60 fps and a last boss ending the run, thanks. Maybe this game could benefit from splitting the levels up in smaller stages and only a boss every 2 levels?
Looping is optional in NT. if you kill the throne without destroying the generators your run just ends. You can also end your run by going for a secret final boss on loop, Captain, by getting in an IDPD van right when it stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kooriken posted:

Dunno if it's technically a hidden thing or not, but Try pushing a table into a pit. Gets you a pretty funny achievement.

Also unlocks an item for future playthroughs.

What does putting out the fire do?