Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, I thoroughly enjoyed BL2s story, and Handsome jack is one of the best villains ever, because he actually does stuff instead of being a vague " that guy is evil go kill him" thing.

People play games for more reasons than ...whatever reason you do. I'm thinking you should probably just stick to Counterstrike, because the Borderland series is more than just guns.
You sound like a painfully boring person.

The important think about Handsome Jack is he's exactly the sort of villain Borderlands asks for. It's a silly game about shooting a hojillion guns, that's only serious for just long enough to raise the stakes to be even sillier and gunnier. As such, Jack works as a villain, because he's funny, active and antagonistic. He fits the tone and style of the game and what it should be going for.

It's the same reason I put Exdeath from Final Fantasy V as one of FF's best villains. Because FFV's a balls-hard game with enough kinda-cartoonish plot to give all you do proper context, what it needs for a villain is something simple but effective, to really make you want to step up to the plate, and Exdeath does great at that by just being absurdly loving evil in all facets. He has no pathos, because pathos would take away from what he needs to be: a big scary monster that you really have to put your all into fighting. Compare with Kefka, who's pitiful in too many ways for me to actually WANT to fight him, but that's consistent with his generally more tonally morose game that's also far easier.

It's also what I'd mark as a bit of a flaw with Bravely Second, its antagonists are all over the place tonally. You've got the sillier enemies that generally work, especially since the game gives people like the Catmancer and Patissier asterisk bearers enough spotlight to be genuinely threatening despite their concept. But the headliners are a little too straight-faced to be entertaining and satisfying to go up against, and their stories are kinda at odds with the game's tone itself. And then you've got Geist, the Exorcist, who's just a straight-up horror figure and doesn't even come close to matching the game, but I think that's the point. Still not sure how to feel about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Jesus christ, were you the person those morons were targeting.

He's just a trite, unoriginal and painfully boring try-hard. He never does anything against anything you care about.

You know how to make you hate him? Have him lock one of your weapon slots or take a rare drop. Because no-one gives a poo poo about the boring characters in those games, because everyone is in the game for the guns.

Well that was... weirdly hostile, I guess I think they succeeded in making a villain somebody you want to kill really badly while also being kind of funny to listen too, mission accomplished I say.

I notice people on this forum have a really, really heightened reaction to BL2, whenever it gets mentioned somebody is sure to bang on about how bad and horrible the plot is and its all unfunny, trying too hard 4chan memes etc with terrible repetitive combat. I don't think its a great game by any means but I enjoyed more than I expected too, I can't remember any actual memes that it uses for humor, there's lots of fun guns, great enemy variation and some actually funny moments, its also one of the few games I can think of that tries to uses its mechanics as a source of the humor, which is nice, if only for the effort. Just don't play on the new game+ modes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's an ARPGFPSMMO-lite. . It's not a pure FPS like some of ya'll are treating it.

Ya'll probably the type that don't even read quest text, just smash the button and run towards the arrow.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Borderlands 2 came out 4 years ago, the people who actually enjoyed it have long since moved on so it's only the people who have a pathological hatred of it that still care that much.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Weird coincidence: Someone bumped a steam thread question I had from 3 years ago about borderlands 2. To call the people that tried to answer my questions idiots who don't read.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

khwarezm posted:

Well that was... weirdly hostile, I guess I think they succeeded in making a villain somebody you want to kill really badly while also being kind of funny to listen too, mission accomplished I say.

I notice people on this forum have a really, really heightened reaction to BL2, whenever it gets mentioned somebody is sure to bang on about how bad and horrible the plot is and its all unfunny, trying too hard 4chan memes etc with terrible repetitive combat. I don't think its a great game by any means but I enjoyed more than I expected too, I can't remember any actual memes that it uses for humor, there's lots of fun guns, great enemy variation and some actually funny moments, its also one of the few games I can think of that tries to uses its mechanics as a source of the humor, which is nice, if only for the effort. Just don't play on the new game+ modes.

And yet people praised Janey Springs, who was the worst part of the Pre-sequel because any time you were around her, she had to remind you that she is into females and that she HAD A GIRLFRIEND but now she doesnt so she will hit on literally every female in the game.

If she had any other defining character traits than "Is a lesbian", I'd be fine with her, but it really feels like she can't go three lines of dialogue without mentioning she is a lesbian

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BillmasterCozb posted:

And yet people praised Janey Springs, who was the worst part of the Pre-sequel because any time you were around her, she had to remind you that she is into females and that she HAD A GIRLFRIEND but now she doesnt so she will hit on literally every female in the game.

If she had any other defining character traits than "Is a lesbian", I'd be fine with her, but it really feels like she can't go three lines of dialogue without mentioning she is a lesbian

As opposed to almost every other game ever made which has a stock horndog character but it's totally cool because they're hetero?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

BillmasterCozb posted:

but it really feels like she can't go three lines of dialogue without mentioning she is a lesbian.

It's high school all over again!

CONTENT:

It's been stated before, but Fallout 4 suffers from a real sense of inertia. No quests, apart from Confidence Man and The Nuclear Option, really seem to affect the world around you.

If I wanted a boring, pointless slog doing tasks of no interest and with zero usefulness to others, I'd get a job in an office cubicle.

Although, to be fair, it's probably because I'm older and less interested in gaming than I would have been at 18. So, maybe it's just me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Far as I know, the only problem with Borderlands 2 is that the health gets too high and you basically have to be using a slag[?] elemental weapon at all times at that point.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Guy Mann posted:

As opposed to almost every other game ever made which has a stock horndog character but it's totally cool because they're hetero?

I can't immediately off of the top of my head recall and games I've played with any kind of regularity where sex and sexuality comes up without explicitly asking about an NPC's personal life or seeking out that plotline as the PC, but then again I don't really play GTA etc. type games. There's a big difference between having homosexuality, bisexuality, et al portrayed as normal and fine as a part of regular life, and trying to show how "progressive" you are by having a sexy woman constantly remark about how gay she is (which can arguably be categorized as attempting to be titillating to a male player).

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

13Pandora13 posted:

I can't immediately off of the top of my head recall and games I've played with any kind of regularity where sex and sexuality comes up without explicitly asking about an NPC's personal life or seeking out that plotline as the PC, but then again I don't really play GTA etc. type games. There's a big difference between having homosexuality, bisexuality, et al portrayed as normal and fine as a part of regular life, and trying to show how "progressive" you are by having a sexy woman constantly remark about how gay she is (which can arguably be categorized as attempting to be titillating to a male player).

Some people find it encouraging to see people like themselves in fiction.

eta: , you loving rear end in a top hat. Sorry, forgot to match the tone of the thread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm all for having homosexuals in games, but if their character is literally just "I'm a homosexual" then it feels like they're a token character just thrown in to show that they're progressive. Actually put some effort in writing the character, don't just make the character spout memes that a bunch of assholes on the internet made from a sexual orientation

packetmantis posted:

eta: , you loving rear end in a top hat. Sorry, forgot to match the tone of the thread.

I think you mean "git gud"

E: For content, in FF14 animation lock for supposedly "instant" skills loving blows. Say you're a healer and you're going to switch into cleric stance (lets you DPS at the cost of being awful at healing), use swiftcast (next spell is instantly cast) and try to use that ability be ready to see your character spasm like they're having a seizure and the game say "can't do that right now" and the result is you starting to hardcast a spell, stopping to activate swiftcast then trying to attack and ending up spending an extra second longer if you didn't bother with swiftcast.

This is also really annoying for activating all your buffs, you can't turn them all on at once you have to do one, wait for the animation to stop, then press the next one...

Leal has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Apr 8, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

princecoo posted:

The last patch for XCOM 2 is dragging the game down for me. It was to prepare for the release of the first DLC, Anarchy's Children which was basically just a barbie dress ups pack, but now my game is almost unplayable by an annoying bug where after a mission the camera gets stuck under your ship/base and all you can do is access the menu.

All signs atm point to mods being the culprit somehow (lot's of people getting the bug, but there doesn't seem to be any real pattern - just that they've all got at least 1 mod installed) and after the game being hyped up to be super mod ready and friendly, it's a real let down.

Love the game when it's working though.

The entire DLC was pretty lame. I mean yeah more features and poo poo for your soldiers are always good but the season pass kind of promised DLC that would actually impact gameplay. Not only that it seems fairly lame when you get a huge number of options early on like dressing your guys in short short with midriffs and later on you get like a slightly different pattern on your breastplate.

While I'm here the latest Fallout 4 DLC is super underwhelming too. DLC in the previous Fallout games would give you an entire area and a bunch of new features to play around with, not to mention new weapons of often questionable usefulness but enemies would actually use them. This one has that one dungeon that's sort of cool and expands on a feature that was previously modded into the game which is just amazingly lame and seems like the most cynical and half assed approach to DLC yet.

One more to hopefully get the thread away from the pages upon pages of Dark Souls poo poo that drag it down for me is Ashes of Singularity. I'm not gonna pretend it has no merit or anything but it is a step down from Supreme Commander, which is still available, still runs fine, is cheap and features a more solid campaign. This game is just sort of lovely compared to what it's trying to reproduce, it runs like rear end while not looking all that impressive, the scale is lower, it goes for near full price for a new game and the campaign barely has any story or even decent gameplay. Playing it feels like going up against one of those Starcraft try hards who have spent time really researching the pro circuit strategies and if you're not using the correct counter strategy and don't build up your poo poo just the way the game intended the AI is now throwing roughly five million units at you and just crush you because you didn't play the way it wanted.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Morglon posted:

The entire DLC was pretty lame. I mean yeah more features and poo poo for your soldiers are always good but the season pass kind of promised DLC that would actually impact gameplay. Not only that it seems fairly lame when you get a huge number of options early on like dressing your guys in short short with midriffs and later on you get like a slightly different pattern on your breastplate.

While I'm here the latest Fallout 4 DLC is super underwhelming too. DLC in the previous Fallout games would give you an entire area and a bunch of new features to play around with, not to mention new weapons of often questionable usefulness but enemies would actually use them. This one has that one dungeon that's sort of cool and expands on a feature that was previously modded into the game which is just amazingly lame and seems like the most cynical and half assed approach to DLC yet.

In both cases they detailed what each season pass would entail somewhat before the first DLC came out. XCOM2's next two DLCs add new enemies and a new class respectively, while Fallout's adds more settlement mechanics/buildables in one and a whole new area in the other.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Jetamo posted:

In both cases they detailed what each season pass would entail somewhat before the first DLC came out. XCOM2's next two DLCs add new enemies and a new class respectively, while Fallout's adds more settlement mechanics/buildables in one and a whole new area in the other.

Well on the page for the XCom 2 season pass it says this: "Each themed content pack will add unique new twists to the core game experience". Yeah they since updated it but only after the first DLC came out which does not add any twists to the core game experience at all and again, dressup good but barely any late game options.

For Fallout I don't recall what the pass said but when it was a certain way for 3 and New Vegas you could arguably believe that it would be that way too for the new one and be let down by the fact that is is in fact not. If you were really cynical you could also argue that they're holding back the GECK so modders won't beat them to the punch on the first two. Which again, arguably they already have. And say what you will about the robots, the settlement poo poo should've been more fleshed out in the loving base game, it's a core thing that's barely loving passable as is. And I am gonna be that loving cynical because they even did it with Skyrim because they shipped it with a super crappy UI because they knew modders would fix it for them for free. At this point I'm really not gonna cut them any more slack.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They didn't ship Skyrim with a crappy UI because they knew modern would fix it for free, they shipped it with a crappy UI because they're terrible at UIs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Just because other games might have done it doesn't mean its ok for pre-sequel to do it with someone simply because she's a lesbian.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

2house2fly posted:

They didn't ship Skyrim with a crappy UI because they knew modern would fix it for free, they shipped it with a crappy UI because they're terrible at UIs.

They weren't always, which I always thought was weird. SkyUI is basically just Oblivion's menus, which was perfect for what it was. Skyrim's was ostensibly designed for consoles, but SkyUI is better for that too.

Fallout 4's bad UI is just confusing. It's the same as Fallout 3's, except even worse at dealing with stuff like notes and tapes. And I have no idea why.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Although, to be fair, it's probably because I'm older and less interested in gaming than I would have been at 18. So, maybe it's just me.

See I don't know. At least in Skyrim you can do quests in different ways and there's that Dark Brotherhood thing that lets you just kill everyone instead of joining them, and the games only open up the further you go back. In Fallout 4 very, very few quests deviate from "go get item" and "shoot everyone". I can't even think of too many quests there were to get an item from someone. It was almost always to get an item from a box and just kill anything that got in my way. The only time your faction choices really narrow is with like one or two story missions otherwise no one really gives a poo poo what you do. I've said it before in this topic but they have a lot of really, really cool locations in Fallout 4. But they did nothing with them. You just walk into a cool place and get excited to see what you could do and then everyone just aggros on to you because everyone's psychic and instantly knows when a stealthed invisible guy just walked up through the open gate.

2house2fly posted:

I prefer to think of it as a little from column A and a little from column B. They might not be good at UIs but they have no incentive to improve at all.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BillmasterCozb posted:

lol

On the topic of dark souls, welp, I got cursed, guess im never touching this game again

Be glad you aren't playing the original release where Curse used to stack up to 3x, meaning you could be running around with 1/8th health before you got a cure.

You eventually learn to just not go in that area unless you need a specific thing which is down there or you're trying to get Kirk's armor set.

But once again: sounds like you need a nice warm cup of git gud :v:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HaB posted:

Be glad you aren't playing the original release where Curse used to stack up to 3x, meaning you could be running around with 1/8th health before you got a cure.

why

Also, it was in the Big Hollow..Great Hollow? Whatever the place connecting from the Blighttown Swamps is called.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

edit: removed

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Apr 8, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, I thoroughly enjoyed BL2s story, and Handsome jack is one of the best villains ever, because he actually does stuff instead of being a vague " that guy is evil go kill him" thing.

People play games for more reasons than ...whatever reason you do. I'm thinking you should probably just stick to Counterstrike, because the Borderland series is more than just guns.
You sound like a painfully boring person.
:psyduck:

Being accused of being boring by a man that enjoys some of the worst writing in the already awful medium of videogames is certainly a way to start your day.

It certainly was by far the biggest thing dragging down Borderlands, a game that got on very well with way less story before and has only gotten worse as time went on.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BillmasterCozb posted:

why

Also, it was in the Big Hollow..Great Hollow? Whatever the place connecting from the Blighttown Swamps is called.

This is my favorite Dark Souls LP right now :allears:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The problem with Edgey Batman is that his world is beyond saving and that he only takes half-measures when dealing with super-villains.

It's also completely ridiculous that the other superheroes just ignore all the poo poo. And they do exist, since Arkham Knight won't stop referencing them while at the same time having entire classes of schoolkids get massacred by the Joker and Calendar Man.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Batman will ruin their poo poo if they come on his turf, obviously.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Deceitful Penguin posted:

:psyduck:

Being accused of being boring by a man that enjoys some of the worst writing in the already awful medium of videogames is certainly a way to start your day.

It certainly was by far the biggest thing dragging down Borderlands, a game that got on very well with way less story before and has only gotten worse as time went on.

You seem strangely pissed off at people enjoying a video game you don't like

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Byzantine posted:

It's also completely ridiculous that the other superheroes just ignore all the poo poo. And they do exist, since Arkham Knight won't stop referencing them while at the same time having entire classes of schoolkids get massacred by the Joker and Calendar Man.

Batman (and family) has exclusive rights to Gotham.

That's the actual comic excuse.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

BillmasterCozb posted:

why

Good news, that area is optional. Unless you want to follow Siegmeyer's incredibly obtuse questline you will never need to go through the Great Hollow or Ash Lake.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Handsome Jack was a really poor, lazy villain and one of Tales from the Borderlands' greatest achievements was taking a pile of "smug badman" Mad Libs and making an actual character out of it.

Enter the Gungeon is heaps of fun but man, the key/ammo starvation hurts. The layers of RNG get irritating fast in a lot of ways, but one of the worst for me is how chests keep dropping these useless accessories instead of weapons. The game's all about guns. Stop giving me rings with a "chance" to resist fire damage and give me guns.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lego Jurassic World's Baryonyx is just a Spinosaurus without the sail. Baryonyx was about half the size of Spino and should be a Medium-size dino by the game's system.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Nuebot posted:

See I don't know. At least in Skyrim you can do quests in different ways and there's that Dark Brotherhood thing that lets you just kill everyone instead of joining them, and the games only open up the further you go back. In Fallout 4 very, very few quests deviate from "go get item" and "shoot everyone". I can't even think of too many quests there were to get an item from someone. It was almost always to get an item from a box and just kill anything that got in my way. The only time your faction choices really narrow is with like one or two story missions otherwise no one really gives a poo poo what you do. I've said it before in this topic but they have a lot of really, really cool locations in Fallout 4. But they did nothing with them. You just walk into a cool place and get excited to see what you could do and then everyone just aggros on to you because everyone's psychic and instantly knows when a stealthed invisible guy just walked up through the open gate.

I prefer to think of it as a little from column A and a little from column B. They might not be good at UIs but they have no incentive to improve at all.

I went through most of the game trying really hard not to attack any brotherhood people when they were attacking other allies in missions because I didn't know who I wanted to go with until I figured out no one gives a poo poo who you kill.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

Handsome Jack was a really poor, lazy villain and one of Tales from the Borderlands' greatest achievements was taking a pile of "smug badman" Mad Libs and making an actual character out of it.

Enter the Gungeon is heaps of fun but man, the key/ammo starvation hurts. The layers of RNG get irritating fast in a lot of ways, but one of the worst for me is how chests keep dropping these useless accessories instead of weapons. The game's all about guns. Stop giving me rings with a "chance" to resist fire damage and give me guns.

Hey now, the pilot has an item that has a chance to open chests!..Or it could break the lock, making you unable to open it even with a key. The bosses are also boring

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hey now, the pilot has an item that has a chance to open chests!..Or it could break the lock, making you unable to open it even with a key. The bosses are also boring

Well it's meant to be sort of a fall-back for if you run out of keys. So you spend your only key on opening the first chest and then use the pick for a chance at opening the next one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the Dying Light DLC, The Following, the buggy seems cool at first but after playing it for a bit the whole thing is dragged down by a very grind-y leveling system. It's just way too hard to level up by just driving around and the game apparently expects you to just go in circles in fields running over zombies who are just kind of standing around.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Aphrodite posted:

Batman (and family) has exclusive rights to Gotham.

That's the actual comic excuse.

His enemies are also a very different type of villain than most of the DC universe is used to.Superman would probably struggle to deal with the Joker.

In fact he kinda did. The inciting event for Kingdom Come, as I recall, was the Joker coming to Metropolis and Superman being unable to stop him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Handsome Jack was a really poor, lazy
Borderlands 2

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You people must be playing loving masterpieces if you think Borderlands 2 is this bad.

It's not great, but it's a pretty solid game with some good strengths that admittedly doesn't always hit the mark. If you guys really hate the game that much, you must either have really fulfilling or REALLY disappointing gaming experiences.

In fact, genuine question for people this harsh on it: any recommendations for games that do what it tries better? Because I liked Borderlands 2, both its writing and its gameplay. If Borderlands 2 is bad at those things, what's good at it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

We're goons, everything is poo poo, especially those things another goon might enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

You people must be playing loving masterpieces if you think Borderlands 2 is this bad.

It's not great, but it's a pretty solid game with some good strengths that admittedly doesn't always hit the mark. If you guys really hate the game that much, you must either have really fulfilling or REALLY disappointing gaming experiences.

In fact, genuine question for people this harsh on it: any recommendations for games that do what it tries better? Because I liked Borderlands 2, both its writing and its gameplay. If Borderlands 2 is bad at those things, what's good at it?

I thought Borderlands 1 did most of what Borderlands 2 did but better. That said I don't hate it as much as a lot of the people in this thread seem to. The worst thing about the entire series is the hosed up level scaling.