Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Really everything about this show is just so snappy, I think it's my favorite piece of TV since Psych.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I liked the part where Vaughn said, when referring to the music for his commercial " Do you like this? It's by Rob Thomas. He always has the best writing." Which was a very clever thing they did.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I liked the part where Vaughn said, when referring to the music for his commercial " Do you like this? It's by Rob Thomas. He always has the best writing." Which was a very clever thing they did.

There was a similar line in S3 of Veronica Mars. Kind of in the opposite direction though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Best line in the episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's the joke there? Rob Thomas is bad at writing songs?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Thomas_(musician)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Thomas_(writer)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Musician Rob Thomas is guest starring in the finale as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Musician Rob Thomas is guest starring in the finale as well.

Hopefully it's the Rob Thomas from It's Always Sunny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClYz4Km5es

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

Hopefully it's the Rob Thomas from It's Always Sunny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClYz4Km5es

So what is Sinbad up to, since he's no longer running an intergalactic scwarma stand?

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

Cojawfee posted:

What's the joke there? Rob Thomas is bad at writing songs?

The showrunner/writer is a guy named Rob Thomas. There's a musician also named Rob Thomas. No relation. So he's really paying himself a compliment there disguised as one to a musician.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Is it really bad that I only just noticed the joke in the name of the funeral home :suicide:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

iajanus posted:

Is it really bad that I only just noticed the joke in the name of the funeral home :suicide:

'Meat Cute' only settled in for me on a recent rewatch.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

iajanus posted:

...Shady Plots.

Oh God, I just got it too. :suicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Truly we don't deserve this show.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Why is this show so much less popular than arrow/flash/agents/etc when it really is such a cut above (especially above arrow, and flash on a bad day). Definitely one of the most consistent and tightly written shows around right now.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

BurritoJustice posted:

Why is this show so much less popular than arrow/flash/agents/etc when it really is such a cut above (especially above arrow, and flash on a bad day). Definitely one of the most consistent and tightly written shows around right now.

I dunno, but I have to wonder if the lovely title isn't at least partially the blame.

vvv Yeah, I dunno wtf their marketing department was thinking when they went with iZombie, of all goddamn things.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 8, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The name. My friend told me to watch this izombie show and I stayed away at first because of the name.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They should've called the show "Brain Detective".

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

vvv Yeah, I dunno wtf their marketing department was thinking when they went with iZombie, of all goddamn things.

Pretty sure that's mostly about getting the network to pick up the premise. "Based (not really) on a successful comic book series!"

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah, it's the best show currently running imo.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Welcome to liking a Rob Thomas show, I guess.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

I dunno wtf their marketing department was thinking when they went with iZombie

Zombie teen show??? :dance: ZOMBIE TEEN SHOW??? :supaburn:

ZOMBIE TEEN SHOW!!!!!!!!!! :hfive:

...in case you were wondering. :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its the name. izombie is such a terrible title. Either way you slice it, aping the 'ipod' thing, or aping the 'i, robot" thing since i, frankenstein ruined it.(despite actually being a really fun movie)

Lycus posted:

They should've called the show "Brain Detective".
lol

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm amused that they have a Zombie Teen Show called Zombie High in a Zombie Teen Show called iZombie. And that Liv is a fan of the show who geeked out when she had to investigate the show.

Woden
May 6, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Female lead and on the CW were reasons I've heard for not watching it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

since i, frankenstein ruined it.(despite actually being a really fun movie)

:getout:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I, Frankenstein was incredible, I have no idea why people didn't want to see Frankenstein's Monster superman-punch a Gargoyle working for God

Seriously do people just not go to the movies to have fun anymore orrrrr

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Cojawfee posted:

The name. My friend told me to watch this izombie show and I stayed away at first because of the name.

I don't really understand avoiding a tv show because of the title. The title makes absolutely no difference to what I decide to watch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Spectrum has no rules

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Woden posted:

Female lead [is a reason] I've heard for not watching it.

:what:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Etalommi posted:

Yeah, it's the best show currently running imo.

I want to agree with this as much as I'm enjoying iZombie but then I watch last man on earth and in 22 minutes they consolidate a shitton of laughs.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Woden posted:

Female lead and on the CW were reasons I've heard for not watching it.

You've got to be joking.

(Ugh. People are the worst)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FoxTerrier posted:

You've got to be joking.

(Ugh. People are the worst)

They really are. In my experience shows with female leads actually tend to be better since they are less generic. But I guess that depends on the writing team. If there is not a single woman writing anything, everything will be kinda weird.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Arrow and Flash are complete garbage and this show is really good.

The marketing for this show, however, basically still makes me want to throw up. The title of the show, combined with how they photoshopped Liv to look paler and higher contrast, just make it look like the last thing I would want to watch ever.

Also the show's themesong is basically cringe inducing, but I got over that, because it's a great loving show.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Arrow and Flash are complete garbage and this show is really good.

The marketing for this show, however, basically still makes me want to throw up. The title of the show, combined with how they photoshopped Liv to look paler and higher contrast, just make it look like the last thing I would want to watch ever.

Also the show's themesong is basically cringe inducing, but I got over that, because it's a great loving show.

I haven't seen the Arrow or Flash, but I agree with you about the rest of it. I kept skipping over it on Netflix because of the name and the way they seemed to promo it.

Although I actually don't mind the theme song, but that's because it's short and to the point and I like the way the graphics behind it quickly covers the backstory and premise of the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

I haven't seen the Arrow or Flash, but I agree with you about the rest of it. I kept skipping over it on Netflix because of the name and the way they seemed to promo it.

Although I actually don't mind the theme song, but that's because it's short and to the point and I like the way the graphics behind it quickly covers the backstory and premise of the show.

Yeah I don't really mind the themesong in context, and it's probably fitting for the show. But I was hesitant enough starting the show when all I knew about it was

And the themesong almost made be like "yeah no, this really isn't for me". But fortunately, I stuck with it.

No seriously, those make it look like a cross between Warm Bodies and Bones.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, also part of it for me was the way the brains look in those promos.

I mean I got over it because it's obviously done as a style choice, but every time I'd think about watching the show I'd see those brains and just move on. Then I was just super bored one night and was like "gently caress it, I'll give it a shot" and found myself amused by it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, also part of it for me was the way the brains look in those promos.

I mean I got over it because it's obviously done as a style choice, but every time I'd think about watching the show I'd see those brains and just move on. Then I was just super bored one night and was like "gently caress it, I'll give it a shot" and found myself amused by it.

Yeah, the ad campaign for that stuff is bad. It's like "hey everyone it's a sexy mean zombie" which is pretty much the furthest from the theme of the show they could get.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Keep in mind that Rob Thomas and Ruggiero (co-creators) did NOT pitch the show to CW initially. Instead, one of their executives met with Thomas and basically said "We want a female-driven detective show on TV and thought of you."

Ruggiero loved the idea of using zombies to twist traditional tropes - Thomas was basically against the general premise. It was only after the pilot etc that he was "won over" in his words.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Would not have made me like it any more considering I'm in my early 40's.
iZombie is the only zombie type show I've ever liked. I held off watching it because it had anything to do with zombies, not because of the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I looked forward to it starting ever since learning it was done by the V.Mars guy. The lesson here is: never pay any attention to the marketing for anything, ever.

• Locked thread