Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

4Kids did nothing wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCb4U4Qrek0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Are they starting Heavy Rain saturday?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Otherworld is literally the best FF song there is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Otherworld is literally the best FF song there is.

"a dog trying to sing slayer"

Yes, yes it is

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Megalixir posted:

Oh and what we had of a story was screwed up by a drama CD/audiobook novel thing, did that actually get released? I don't remember.

Almost every jRPG and Big Japanese game has at least 3 light novel spinoffs and sequels, a few CD/radio dramas probably a bad anime OVA and a stage play none of which are written by the game writers and none of which matters to the game.

Using that as an excuse to not try or enjoy a self contained video game plot is super loving dumb.

Edit: Lemme tell you kids about bad Tales of Light novels. And that lovely story where Naoto gets a sexy lady persona that she rides around on as a motorcycle.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 8, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Are they starting Heavy Rain saturday?

Not this week. On last night's stream, Matt said Woolie is the one that's sick this time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Megalixir posted:

It has been over 10 years but from what I can remember:

- puzzle rooms every second hour for no real reason
- OST vastly inferior to 9
- you could grind junk enemies for maxing the summon gauge, save, and absolutely destroy whatever's next with which I found game-breaking
- the entire plot revolves around literally "going" to die, which is what I meant by "depressing", and an angsty teenager who has to kill his father because Jecht became Sin or something like that? which I only discovered years later because I actually dropped the game during some mountain area
- character models look different to their CG. I never understood why Tidus looks Asian in cutscenes but white in character models

Well that's it I guess. I briefly considered the HD remaster but apparently they completely redid the OST so I lost interest again.

Puzzle rooms weren't really that bad, but to each their own. They're at their worst when they're momentum killers for me, as with this last one, but figuring them out was at least somewhat enjoyable to me. Even if you hate them, there's not that many of them.
Music, maybe it only has a couple of real memorable tracks but none of it really seems like a reason to actually turn you off from the game.
Grinding, you can do that in pretty much every RPG. Yeah, if you grind you can turn the game into a piece of cake, and you can also not grind and not do that.
The plot's not about happy stuff, no, but which FF plot is? It kind of follows 9's plot in that there's a big reveal about the main character(s) before they settle down on "gently caress it let's keep going, things will just work out somehow".
The character models thing is super weird, but the FMVs happen rarely enough that it's not really that big a deal. Between them being very front-loaded and short I don't see how they're seriously that big a problem.

I think you should give the game a try again, a fresh look would help. The HD re-release has I believe the option for both the old and the remastered soundtrack (and the BFP LP is with the original). Personally having listened to a few of the remastered tracks I didn't like them (same composed as in FFXIII I believe, his style is just too different, but without nostalgia goggles maybe that won't matter).

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Edit: Lemme tell you kids about bad Tales of Light novels. And that lovely story where Naoto gets a sexy lady persona that she rides around on as a motorcycle.

I thought it was a Handsome Dude version of Aigis that transforms into a motorcycle.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Baron Snow posted:

Not this week. On last night's stream, Matt said Woolie is the one that's sick this time.

David Cage's Revenge!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

thank you I was looking for this

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the context on that? Something about it is familiar.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

What's the context on that? Something about it is familiar.

It's been going around tumblr for a while but IIRC it was a magnet in an office in China

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Almost every jRPG and Big Japanese game has at least 3 light novel spinoffs and sequels, a few CD/radio dramas probably a bad anime OVA and a stage play none of which are written by the game writers and none of which matters to the game.

Using that as an excuse to not try or enjoy a self contained video game plot is super loving dumb.

no no the motorcycle is a hot robot dude

her persona becomes a totally passive non-combat one because she's become feminine

seriously that's the in-universe explanation

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-s-original-solid-snake-voice-actor-returns-f-1769926724

Oh dear.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I need an explanation

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

(many gifs)
I need an explanation

The explanation is *butt slap* MUSCLE POWER FOR YOU!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

When a series is dead, it's time to sell out as hard as you can.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

what the gently caress is this
https://www.vessel.com/videos/REc4C4Mw1

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mystic Mongol posted:

When a series is dead, it's time to sell out as hard as you can.

Lets be fair, these commercials rule.

Their DBZ ones were great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

only 90's kids will own this car

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Bee posted:

They're pretty good, not gonna front. You just know that if Kojima were obsessed with cars instead of guns that codec call could be a real thing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Bee posted:

DBZ is dead, so it should be making awesome commercials. I preferred the ones with Skeletor, but I won't judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrZ2mevo3_c

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DBZ never died

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

DBZ is dead in another dimension, so it should be making awesome commercials. I preferred the ones with Skeletor, but I won't judge.

Better?

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 9, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I can see the parachutes! They're OK!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SOMEONE IS SEDATING THOSE DOGS

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
FistiScrubs Status:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

That moment where they both try to sweep each other in Verdict Guilty gave me some Way of the Little Dragon PTSD flashbacks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

The explanation is *butt slap* MUSCLE POWER FOR YOU!

NO BUT I'M STILL LOST THOUGH!

Is this like Naruto Generations and every time Mika beats up a fighter she makes them her back-up dancer tag team partner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT5ccCjKrB0

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can't believe rapping black ninja Hulk Hogan is a major character.
And yet here it is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HGH posted:

I can't believe rapping black ninja Hulk Hogan is a major character.
And yet here it is.

His special move is lightning lariats.

Also he's introduced by clowning on Sasuke and his entourage.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
With a rapping ninja named Killer Bee, there's a Wu Tang joke somewhere in there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1my1lri6Kkc

So Pat's girlfriend got hungry while hanging out with Pat and reading sonic fanfiction and this whole thing happened.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Canadian rent must be low as hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tae posted:

Canadian rent must be low as hell.

Canada has the second or third most expensive/over-valued real estate market in the world.

Though I don't think Montreal is as bad as other big cities.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So Pat's girlfriend got hungry while hanging out with Pat and reading sonic fanfiction and this whole thing happened.

Pat's right though, who the gently caress just eats one thing out of a food

it reminds me of my cousin in the 90s who loving bought pizzas and just picked the toppings off and threw the base out, also I haven't spoken to him in over 10 years and I don't know where he is

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Canada has the second or third most expensive/over-valued real estate market in the world.

Though I don't think Montreal is as bad as other big cities.

Then I'm severely underestimating how much their videos make if they can support 4 multi-room apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pat asking people to do things "like a normal human"