Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As strong as Netero is, I get the impresison that several Ryodan members combined might still be able to handle him, just because it's virtually impossible for one person to deal with multiple coordinated high-level nen users. In particular, it looks like Netero's ability has a limited range, so longer-range nen users might be able to handle him.

Kingtheninja posted:

I actually don't mind switching over to the Phantom troupe for a bit. Where do I go for the rest of the series when I finish the 100 on Netflix?

I may have mentioned this before, but my main issue with that whole segment is that it feels like it's a lot lower quality (in general) than the rest of the series. Pretty much every single Nen power show-cased during those chapters/episodes is pretty lame and doesn't seem to make much sense given what we know about how Nen works*. It also doesn't make much sense for the Ryodan members to be having the slightest bit of trouble with any of those ants, other than possibly Zazan herself (I think all the others weren't even't division commanders or whatever; they were at the same level as the ant Killua beheaded or those Owl/Bat ants Gon defeated.

Overall I guess it just kinda felt like sloppy writing, at least compared with the rest of HxH.

*Specifically:
- Mummy dude dancing thing. The Jupiter ability seems ridiculous and literally impossible to defend against; an ant with seemingly above-average speed was unable to escape from it. And the criteria for activating it aren't that difficult; at worst, he has to activate his battle armor song first, but he only used that for a minute or so before switching to Jupiter.
- Shalnark's "become super saiyan/overwhelmingly powerful if he manipulates himself" ability. While it does have a limitation (he won't regain control until the body has succeeded with the instructions), it is still absurdly overpowered as long as he gives it simple and straight-forward instructions, like "defeat the guy I'm fighting." While I guess in theory an enemy who knows about the ability could try to run away if he uses it, I imagine it wouldn't be that easy to escape from someone with vastly more aura than you.
- Feitan's Pain Packer is also absurd and is either an automatic win against anyone who injures him without instantly killing him or completely worthless if the opponent knows how it works or is smart enough to just run away as soon as he activates it (assuming he doesn't have a countermeasure in that case).
- Kalluto's paper stuff. The "can listen in on anyone he puts confetti on" part is cool and interesting, but his other ability also seems very overpowered. As long as he surrounded the opponent with a bunch of paper and at least one piece sticks (which seems likely), he's basically guaranteed to very seriously injure (probably to the point a normal, non-ant opponent could no longer fight) the opponent. It also seems like it would require extremely strong enhancing nen to be able to do so much damage with paper, even though Kalluto is a manipulator. Finally, it's also strange that Kalluto is strong enough to fight alongside the Ryodan (even if he's probably the weakest), given that he's younger than Killua and Killua is specifically stated to be the most talented of all the Zoldyck children.
- Phinks's RIPPER CYCLOTRON thing is alright and actually seems like a pretty normal enhancer ability, as long as it has some sort of limitation on how long the "charge" from winding up his arm lasts (if it's more than a few seconds, the ability becomes kind of overpowered since he could just charge up some absurdly powerful strike before a fight even begins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

As strong as Netero is, I get the impresison that several Ryodan members combined might still be able to handle him, just because it's virtually impossible for one person to deal with multiple coordinated high-level nen users. In particular, it looks like Netero's ability has a limited range, so longer-range nen users might be able to handle him.

I may have mentioned this before, but my main issue with that whole segment is that it feels like it's a lot lower quality (in general) than the rest of the series. Pretty much every single Nen power show-cased during those chapters/episodes is pretty lame and doesn't seem to make much sense given what we know about how Nen works*. It also doesn't make much sense for the Ryodan members to be having the slightest bit of trouble with any of those ants, other than possibly Zazan herself (I think all the others weren't even't division commanders or whatever; they were at the same level as the ant Killua beheaded or those Owl/Bat ants Gon defeated.

Overall I guess it just kinda felt like sloppy writing, at least compared with the rest of HxH.

*Specifically:
- Mummy dude dancing thing. The Jupiter ability seems ridiculous and literally impossible to defend against; an ant with seemingly above-average speed was unable to escape from it. And the criteria for activating it aren't that difficult; at worst, he has to activate his battle armor song first, but he only used that for a minute or so before switching to Jupiter.
- Shalnark's "become super saiyan/overwhelmingly powerful if he manipulates himself" ability. While it does have a limitation (he won't regain control until the body has succeeded with the instructions), it is still absurdly overpowered as long as he gives it simple and straight-forward instructions, like "defeat the guy I'm fighting." While I guess in theory an enemy who knows about the ability could try to run away if he uses it, I imagine it wouldn't be that easy to escape from someone with vastly more aura than you.
- Feitan's Pain Packer is also absurd and is either an automatic win against anyone who injures him without instantly killing him or completely worthless if the opponent knows how it works or is smart enough to just run away as soon as he activates it (assuming he doesn't have a countermeasure in that case).
- Kalluto's paper stuff. The "can listen in on anyone he puts confetti on" part is cool and interesting, but his other ability also seems very overpowered. As long as he surrounded the opponent with a bunch of paper and at least one piece sticks (which seems likely), he's basically guaranteed to very seriously injure (probably to the point a normal, non-ant opponent could no longer fight) the opponent. It also seems like it would require extremely strong enhancing nen to be able to do so much damage with paper, even though Kalluto is a manipulator. Finally, it's also strange that Kalluto is strong enough to fight alongside the Ryodan (even if he's probably the weakest), given that he's younger than Killua and Killua is specifically stated to be the most talented of all the Zoldyck children.
- Phinks's RIPPER CYCLOTRON thing is alright and actually seems like a pretty normal enhancer ability, as long as it has some sort of limitation on how long the "charge" from winding up his arm lasts (if it's more than a few seconds, the ability becomes kind of overpowered since he could just charge up some absurdly powerful strike before a fight even begins).

Bonolenov's dancing is used to conjure things. By making specific noises he can create things like Jupiter and his armor, and probably a large amount of other things. A condition on his power is that he can't turn it off, which is why he wears his wrappings and gloves. Likley it has other weaknesses we have yet to see.

Shalnark is also exhausted and can't really fight anymore if he uses his secondary power. Something simple like defeat the guy I am fighting could be worked around by his opponent if they are strong enough to survive for a bit and think thorough the situation. For example if Defeat my opponent was the term, if his opponent gave up and admitted defeat Shalnark would depower and be severally weakened. Worse is something could happen and he can't fulfill his goal. Which would leave him stuck standing still forever.

Feitan's power is good. But it requires him to both be seriously angry and injuired. If he opponent does not let up on him like Zanzan did after breaking is arm. It's possible he won't be able to use his power.

I don't really understand Kalluto's power too well. So I am not going to talk about it.

Phink's power is powerful. Likely it strains him to keep the aura built up too much, so he could charge it up but it would be annoying to keep it up constantly unless he knows he is getting into a fight. (The guy with his power can probably out punch Uvogin considering he was the second strongest physically.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bonolenov's Jupiter only worked because he was able to dance and play his song; if he were facing a competent opponent who was actually able to disrupt him, he wouldn't have had nearly as easy a time. His abilities are conditional, based on his "performance", so something like Jupiter probably just means that the opponent was no match for him anyway.

Shalnark's ability, I imagine the auto-pilot isn't particularly clever. Someone who is A. Clever, and B. Actually good at fighting could probably handle him. i.e. If the series ever gets far enough, Kurapika's going to come for him and his auto-pilot is probably going to be tricked or taken advantage of or something. He's going to die and he's not going to even be aware of it when it happens.

Feitan is absurd, yes. I imagine things would have been slightly different if Zazan didn't just stand there and let him pull it out (or just killed him outright instead of wounding him), but it's still pretty ridiculous.

Kalluto's ability was actually pretty unimpressive to me, to the point I don't even see how you're putting it on the level of everyone else's abilities. This is an odd one to me and I'm not sure how to respond. You're definitely wrong about Enhancement there, though; in Yorknew the Troupe, while speculating on Kurapika's chains, mentions that only a Manipulator or a Conjurer would be able to make some strong enough to hold Uvogin. Kalluto doesn't need Enhancement to be good at manipulating (which makes sense because otherwise the best type to have for Manipulation would be Emission, because then you're pretty good at both Manipulation and Enhancement).

Yeah, I don't think Phinks can "hold" a punch. If he could he just would do that all the time.

As for you saying that the Troupe shouldn't have had trouble with the ants, well, they didn't; every battle was a complete stomp except for Shalnark getting captured and Feitan versus Zazan. Even Kalluto, probably the weakest member there, admitted to just toying with his prey rather than it being a real battle.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 4, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

EmmyOk posted:

This is a lot of words on anime
Never apologize for writing words about anime.

Ytlaya posted:

I am also not a huge fan of the Chimera Ant arc Phantom Troupe side plot, for similar reasons.

Phinks and Kalluto's powers are cool though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Killua had the highest potential, is all. They slowly and carefully developed him so that he would one day be the new head of the family.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If I recall Phinks's power is Karmic Loop: Ripper Cyclotron implying there are other Karmic Loop abilities he can use. I didn't mind it but it was very clearly a "I just wanna show these powers off now even if they should win without going all out" side plot. It was interesting to learn a little more about the city though. We still haven't gotten to see Nobunaga's (enforcer?) power or even met the new member's yet. There should still be replacements for Uvo and Paku right?

Side note I preferred when bad translations called it City of The Shooting Star,

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Phinks' power rules because it's literally a cartoon wind-up "WHY I OUGHTA" punch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

If I recall Phinks's power is Karmic Loop: Ripper Cyclotron implying there are other Karmic Loop abilities he can use. I didn't mind it but it was very clearly a "I just wanna show these powers off now even if they should win without going all out" side plot. It was interesting to learn a little more about the city though. We still haven't gotten to see Nobunaga's (enforcer?) power or even met the new member's yet. There should still be replacements for Uvo and Paku right?

Side note I preferred when bad translations called it City of The Shooting Star,

Hisoka left and Uvo and Paku died, yeah, so there's presumably two more in the wings if they managed to recruit them already. Also "Meteor" is an awesome word that should be used more.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Awesome I can't wait for them to be introduced at some point! Phinks also owns because he has definitely evaporated multiple opponents by accident because he's bad at counting. Are the official translations of post-anime stuff published?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The biggest thing that's odd with Killua is just that he doesn't know about nen, at all, when his entire family are pretty decent to exceptional nen users. Though you can infer that since Killua is precious and "spoiled" by his Grandpa and father that they basically had a very very specific training regime in mind for Kiulla (and in fact, Silva lets Killua go after learning his friend is a Hunter when he didn't have to).

The main problem I have with the ant thing is, yeah like is said,the Ryodan, barring Kalluto, shouldn't have had nearly that much trouble with the ants. Especially since back in Yorknew I got the impression Phinx and Feitan were two of the Spider's most powerful dudes. I always got the impression Kalluto isn't as strong as the other members and is basically in because he's good enough and they are badly needing someone with info gathering abilities after their losses at Yorknew

I mean, powerlevels and all, but I think HxH manages to be consistent with that aspect more than most, and it stands out more when it seems off, whereas in other series I don't even consider it.

EmmyOk posted:

If I recall Phinks's power is Karmic Loop: Ripper Cyclotron implying there are other Karmic Loop abilities he can use.

I just chalked that up to the two name reading thing a lot of Nen powers have going, is it definitely a two part thing?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not sure if it's a two part name or not but I hope so! I also have a great image in my head of him doing the opposite of him thinking he had wound it up enough and just booping someone on the nose.

Killua not knowing nen isn't that weird as he was supposed to reach the higher floors in the Tower the first time and be exposed to it. Afterwards Silva and Zeno might have decided he was too flighty to learn it yet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Killua went home as soon as he broke through to the top floors.

His dad probably expected him to undergo a baptism, but instead he just blew all his money on candy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Right that's what I am getting at. Silva wanted him to undergo baptism but when he hosed off and bought sweets instead he decided he wasn't ready for nen and hadn't started training him yet. Speaking of Silva I really want to see what happened when he killed a member of the Troupe. I loved that moment where Chrollo gave a sweet smile to Zeno and a death glare to Silva.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
You all seem to forget Zazan developed queen-like evolution powers through her stinger, she was trying to make her own colony, most of her experiments were failures or straight up died but perhaps given time and capturing powerful nen users she could have made her own royal guard or king.

She was probably boasting though, did she sting herself to evolve her monster form?

Maybe her and her colony were stronger than you would think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since he was that immature, it was probably better not to push it. If a child creates a nen ability odds are it will be childish. Killua is supposed to be the future leader of the family and absolutely brilliant, so he could probably come up with something better on his own if they didn't meddle. And he did, really. Even the most basic application of Killua's nen provided absolutely ridiculous benefits, and he is sure to come up with better ways to use it.

Though of course, the manga will never get back to Killua. His story is effectively done.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Though of course, the manga will never get back to Killua. His story is effectively done.

:10bux: for adult Killua and how he managed to grow up and learn from this childhood exp. Also reunion with Gon where they go travel and have more adventures plz.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I refuse to believe Killua and Gon friendship times will ever really end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

:10bux: for adult Killua and how he managed to grow up and learn from this childhood exp. Also reunion with Gon where they go travel and have more adventures plz.

We aren't even going to get the complete dark continent arc. We will see maybe 100 more chapters spread out over the next decade or two, but this thing is way more ambitious than the chimera ant arc ever was.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

We aren't even going to get the complete dark continent arc. We will see maybe 100 more chapters spread out over the next decade or two, but this thing is way more ambitious than the chimera ant arc ever was.

This thing is gonna remain unfinished you mark my words. Dudes almost as bad as George R.R Martin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eh, his existing plot arcs are done, but there is some room for future ones. The biggest thing that comes to mind is the fact that it seemed to be implied that Silva and the rest of his family were only allowing him to be free under the assumption that he would inevitably come back to assassination in the end. If they end up realizing that he isn't going to, they may intervene.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What are they going to do? Assassinate him?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, his existing plot arcs are done, but there is some room for future ones. The biggest thing that comes to mind is the fact that it seemed to be implied that Silva and the rest of his family were only allowing him to be free under the assumption that he would inevitably come back to assassination in the end. If they end up realizing that he isn't going to, they may intervene.

Sure, there are all sorts of places this manga could go if Togashi was up for it. He is not.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I'm watching the anime now (I've watched the original anime and read the manga before) and man, I forgot how abrupt is the change of tone in the Yorknew arc, there were always some dark stuff in the series, but the moment the Phantom Troupe enters the auction it completely changes.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Adnor posted:

I'm watching the anime now (I've watched the original anime and read the manga before) and man, I forgot how abrupt is the change of tone in the Yorknew arc, there were always some dark stuff in the series, but the moment the Phantom Troupe enters the auction it completely changes.

Ehhh the manga's tone was always kinda consistent. The 2011 anime initially tried to market it more heavily smaller children and that's why you get weird censorship stuff happening in the early arcs. Once you hit the Phantom Troupe arc that's not really possible anymore until you hit Greed Island and even then you've got the Bomber trio, which is why it's weird to me that they'd even try in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Especially since back in Yorknew I got the impression Phinx and Feitan were two of the Spider's most powerful dudes

Well Phinks had no issues with his opponent. While Feitan was fighting someone who was actually really strong.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I refuse to believe Killua and Gon friendship times will ever really end.

:agreed:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Clarste posted:

I don't think claiming that Pitou (and the rest of the royal guard) are "only" motivated by loyalty should really be relevant here. A big part of the ant arc was that the loyalty of the ants was the same as a mother's love for her children, and by extension the same as Gon's love for his friends. Ant love isn't inherently worth any less than human love.

I just realized that all of the good villains have something to do with love. The King's love for Komugi and the Royal Guard's love for the King. The Phantom Troupe have a platonic love, especially among the original members. Even Nanika's power has to do with love just a bit. Of course, the main characters do stuff for love, too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Illumi's love of his brother... Hisoka's love of little boys... Bomber's love of bombs...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ging's love of himself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

Ging's love of himselfbeing a terrible father.

Though, Genthru and his buddies were pretty close. Awful people otherwise and mass-murderers, but still close with each other at least.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
Togashi's love of Turkey.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Roland Jones posted:

Though, Genthru and his buddies were pretty close. Awful people otherwise and mass-murderers, but still close with each other at least.

As did (and probably do) the Phantom Troupe. Sociopaths and monsters all, but two of them chose death over betrayal of the rest.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really enjoying golgo 13 the octopus.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ikalgo is my favourite character of that arc and possibly the entire series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Eej posted:

Ikalgo is my favourite character of that arc and possibly the entire series.

I'm a fan of Knuckle personally, but he just happens to have my favorite nen ability.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Now the question is, is he more grossed out from the kiss or that this is less then 6 hours after he bit a dudes head off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my 12 year old nephew has finished FMA on netflix and was after another series so i looked at HxH and netflix only gives it a g?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's a few more violent moments than there are in Fullmetal Alchemist but they're not much worse or that frequent.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

While I'd definitely agree FMA and HxH are both roughly on par with one another regarding the level of bad mojo that goes down, there's still some pretty big differences in handling and delivery. FMA can be harsh, but HxH tends to be more disturbing.