Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Hey Derek:

I can understand the skittishness about encrypted predictions and all the rest. Have you thought about registering a few domain names on the cheap-- using identity protection-- so you can dangle those after the fact and say "Called it!" Stuff maybe a little more specific than "ItsOverTheyreFuckedTheEnd.com"?

Seems like you could pick those up on the sly for cheap, then throw those back out as timestamped gotchas at a later date for the doubters.

I don't mind not getting specific exact predictions, personally.

I try to model out what seems probable based on what's knowable and then allow for possible complications that could dramatically alter the predictable trajectories. Some complications might force rapid downward revisions--- class action lawsuits, FTC prying, media exposés, pick your poison... Other scenarios might do the opposite-- stupid big investor takes a big private placement, bank with more money than sense offers massive credit line, Company X buys out the company, etc...

Declining baseline revenues contrasted against high fixed overhead costs (and unknowable but certain additional expenses) already paint a grim picture. Yes, there are means to temporarily inject cash via stimulation sales-- but the heart of CIG is diseased and weak. At some point, the gentle jolts of a pacemaker aren't enough because it's not an arrhythmia problem anymore. It's a heart attack problem. More and more, big ship sales feel like defibrillator paddles-- pulled out to shock a heart in terminal decay back to temporary life. Not a healthy place to be, but CIG has no one else to blame for the lifestyle choices that made them so organizationally unhealthy.

Anyhoo-- I don't mind not knowing the particulars of any behind-the-scenes chaos. There's a certain thrill in speculation solely from the knowable-- with allowances for the unknown surprise that really blows all the modeling apart. Your interjections, EightAce's, ATXSperg's-- they're all intriguing, infused as they are with suggestions of insider revelations that could CHANGE EVERYTHING.

I for one, don't doubt such things will come. I'm waiting for them to hit and blow apart the past models. But even if they don't, we know what sort of shape CIG is in. Barring unforeseen interventions, it feels like it's time to start crafting the eulogies.

:agreed:

OK, here's one (of many). On the E.L.E scale of Defcon 1 (oh poo poo! we be hosed!) to 5 (yeah, whatever); this one is at Defcon 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON)

https://privnote.com/KuliiX1Z

This is all going to be public very soon, but I don't want to tip them off that we know EXACTLY wtf is going on; regardless of how hard they try to conceal it from backers who OWN and FUNDED this project.

I am only going to send the self-destruct key to a select (unnamed few) via PM. If you don't get it, don't ask me for it; as I won't give it because I have identified no less than four CIG accounts posting here on SA. Don't ask me how. Hint: honeypot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I can understand why 8ace ran off. I do. But here's the thing about 8ace, I have no respect for whoever it was. I don't. Harsh? Maybe.

Here's the thing though, if you cared about any of this poo poo then just come out with it. Doesn't even have to be here. Do something. Make it known. There are ways to do it anonoymously. If you don't or can't be bothered then I'm sorry but your part of the problem to. As you are assisting in the fleecing of people and all the other poo poo this game entails.

As for the legal reasons, as some have pointed out, I get that. I do. But it doesn't change the fact that there are ways to go about it, that don't involve leaking it on an internet humor site. As much as we would all love it this is bigger than us. This is about more then Lols. People need to poo poo or get off the pot. Period. You can't claim to care and then do nothing but stroke your epeen in hopes of inflating your ego on the internet. That's a losing loving battle. So instead do what's right. No more games. No more bullshit. If you know something do something about it or realize your just another part of the problem. Inaction can be just as damaging as taking action. That's all.

At this point there is enough information out there. Anyone who doesn't know CIG is dodgy as gently caress is either willfully ignorant or doesn't care enough to research before buying their jpegs. If we were pre-Derek and Escapist I could see some moral imperative to blow the lid off it all but not now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
wing commander is on biatches

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

The tactic here is to imply they are a furry and declare all pictures of cats as "deviant". A word used mainly by grandmas and goons.

You keep defending furrys in this thread.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

D_Smart posted:

Tell me more :allears:

Called it :smug:
[/quote]

You didn't call poo poo

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Loxbourne posted:

There may be very very good legal reasons for not giving us encrypted hints. If there genuinely is an investigation by law enforcement agencies - whatever their provenance or origin - and Derek knows about it, then potentially even hinting about any such investigation could be a criminal offence. In the UK this is called "tipping off", and it would be a bitch to defend since it's very hard to prove that someone (say, at CIG) didn't crack Derek's encryption early and alter data or evidence ahead of time.

Worse, the existence of a secret taunting website could be held in court to taint the prosecution. That includes cunning games with URLs, lockbin files, the works. If the ELE exists and is the kind that might include dawn raids and asset freezes and eventual trials, then we as a thread aren't worth the risk.

Yes, this does come across as containing just as wishful thinking as those we mock. That's the game you play when you start making fun of large troubled companies on the internet.

If the ELE exist, which it may, the best course of legal action would have been to shut the gently caress up. Hell the best legal course would have been to never have come here in the first place. To not post openly and in such abundance about such things. Were well past legal concerns honestly. That holes been dug long ago.

What's the first thing a lawyer tells any client? Shut up. Something that has not even been close to done by any number of people.

That being said I do get it. I do. I just think were past the point of no return here and its time to start being real about what's going on and to stop playing games. What's more important ego or doing something for the greater good as it were? And I think are can all agree that SC going down is for the greater good.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Why are we still posting about derek's secrets when BEN AND LOANDO ARE PLAHYKNG WIN G COMMANDÓ

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

OK, here's one (of many). On the E.L.E scale of Defcon 1 (oh poo poo! we be hosed!) to 5 (yeah, whatever); this one is at Defcon 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON)

This is all going to be public very soon, but I don't want to tip them off that we know EXACTLY wtf is going on; regardless of how hard they try to conceal it from backers who OWN and FUNDED this project.

I am only going to send the self-destruct key to a select (unnamed few) via PM. If you don't get it, don't ask me for it; as I won't give it because I have identified no less than four CIG accounts posting here on SA. Don't ask me how. Hint: honeypot

Derek if you're full of poo poo I have to commend you on being so convincing. I simply cannot work it out, but I hope something interesting happens soon because my god it's just constant "something's happening!" with no punchline at the moment.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
it's actually very, very boring

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

Derek if you're full of poo poo I have to commend you on being so convincing. I simply cannot work it out, but I hope something interesting happens soon because my god it's just constant "something's happening!" with no punchline at the moment.

I tried the password "dereksmart" and it didn't work so I just saved you all 20 secs

fake edit: brb trying all caps

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

runsamok posted:

Because then their little behind-the-scenes sneak peeks wouldn't look as good, and it wouldn't make a good impression on the whales when they come for tours.

I know you don't understand marketing, I mean, have you been one of the world's best marketers, ever since you were a little girl?

I. Think. Not.

Checkmate. Ipso facto. The defence rests. Over & out.

Dear Sandi,

First off, I am not a fat. Secondly, how can I become one of the world's best marketers if I was born a little boy?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

runsamok posted:

Sweet christ, what kind of space metal are those chairs made out of? Unobtanium? Dark star matter? How is it holding up Ben? And why has he seemingly regressed from having his fingers on backwards to now having an entire arm looking like it's dislocated or otherwise distended?

Those are Emeco navy chairs. They're at least $1k if they're legit and not repro.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Berious posted:

At this point there is enough information out there. Anyone who doesn't know CIG is dodgy as gently caress is either willfully ignorant or doesn't care enough to research before buying their jpegs. If we were pre-Derek and Escapist I could see some moral imperative to blow the lid off it all but not now.

I agree the info is there, but if its as bad as some make it out to be, then there is a real reason to hasten it as quickly as possible. Simply saying people can't claim to care for whatever reason and then gleefully play games about it. That doesn't work.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
gently caress I'm glad that game never shat up my childhood

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

redwalrus posted:

they literally installed constellation doors into their office building.

Yes. I mentioned this info in one of my blogs. That's part of the design. Still waiting to see if they go forward with the ship at the entrance into the building.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Note, if those are legit Emeco navy chairs they're supposed to be almost indestructible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emeco_1006

quote:

It was originally designed for the US Navy, which needed a chair for the deck of battleships that could survive sea air and a torpedo blast to the side of the ship.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Lladre posted:

That's not an office it's the break room. For eating lunch.
Backer money well spent.

They are so incompetent that they don't even know how to profit from their fleecing of gullible marks.

I think he meant that the entire LA Office is "The Marketing Office" since it's what baits the harpoons to reel in the whales.

We rarely see behind the scenes where actual work is being done, ostensibly for spoilers & to avoid ruining the mystique. Really though, it's to avoid showing the contrast & minimize risk of showing how little is really being done.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
PW is not "letmefuckingfinish" either btw

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.
Today CIG created a sub-group of citizens who will be inflited with get access to the earlier builds, rather than expose the janky mess of SC at its jankiest and messiest to everyone. Those in the group will be under an NDA which also provides that the players won't be allowed to take screenshots/stream. Once again, :pgabz: determines the decisions of a $110+ million dollar company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4e2lwy/evocati_test_flight_closed_nda_testing/

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Plural Abysss posted:

PW is not "letmefuckingfinish" either btw

Note is gone anyway, gently caress you whoever destroyed it after reading :argh:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The password is not : Bollocks / ihatesandi / England / chrisissexy / letmefuckingfinish / 2weeks

lol beaten ^

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! someone read it, and destroyed it. Man, that's cold :D :D :D

Anyway, if you're in the #smarties channel on my Discord server ....https://discordapp.com/invite/0sasVA7SRFF1RYc6

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Cobblers posted:

Today CIG created a sub-group of citizens who will get access to the earlier builds rather than expose the janky mess of SC at its jankiest and messiest to everyone. Those in the group will be under an NDA which also provides that the players won't be allowed to take screenshots/stream. Once again, :pgabz: determines the decisions of a $110+ million dollar company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4e2lwy/evocati_test_flight_closed_nda_testing/

Open Development, ladies, gents & commandos!

Where even the test server of the test server needs a further, hidden test server which only increases the transparency with its own opacity.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. It really is tripling every second.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You guys are dumb if you think an Oldschool Internet Warlord is going to run with a password that is literally one of his catchphrases.

It sucks, but we'll just have to wait. Nobody is going to leak whatever it is D_Smart just sent them (at least they probably loving shouldn't) but they'll be able to verify if/when something goes down.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Note, if those are legit Emeco navy chairs they're supposed to be almost indestructible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emeco_1006

Interesting

quote:

Emeco filed a lawsuit against Restoration Hardware for allegedly making unauthorized reproductions of the 1006 Navy chair.[15] Restoration Hardware removed the chair from its website, stopped selling the chair, and reached an undisclosed settlement with Emeco.[16]

I bet those are the Ryan Archer version, and CIG has them because they know a guy at RH who has thousands of the things he can't sell. Also maybe why they shovel so much backer funds at a store that makes stuff completely useless for an office environment.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rampant Dwickery posted:

one hesitates to ask how many times ben's put that slide out of commission

No one doesn't hesitate!

How many times HAS the slide been Lesnicked?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
The note… :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I remember when I was a kid and was read this rather famous story, maybe you heard of it, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. It had an interesting life lesson that seems to have been lost on some people.

Oh, I finally get this now. For some reason I always had trouble thinking of a realistic scenario where the metaphor works.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sillybones posted:

Oh, I finally get this now. For some reason I always had trouble thinking of a realistic scenario where the metaphor works.

The goon who cried paaaarp

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Sillybones posted:

If only life were more accommodating right? And what the hells a metaphor?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Berious posted:

Interesting
I bet those are the Ryan Archer version, and CIG has them because they know a guy at RH who has thousands of the things he can't sell. Also maybe why they shovel so much backer funds at a store that makes stuff completely useless for an office environment.

quote:

Emeco seized upon a pre-IPO SEC filing as fodder for its cause, highlighting a section in which the company states that, “at our core we are not designers, rather we are curators and composers of inspired design and experiences.” By “[e]xternally discover[ing] and curat[ing]” others’ designs, as opposed to “[i]nternally design[ing] and develop[ing]” its own products, Restoration Hardware can cut the product development process from “12-18 months lead time” to “3-9 months lead time” and “reduce product costs.” In contrast, Emeco pegs its own product cycle of designing, prototyping, research and development, engineering, and tooling at approximately 2 to 4 years.

Hilarious!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TTerrible posted:

TTerrible posted:

defending furrys

Lel

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

The first time was a direct response to you being an arsehole.

The second time was me remembering you and your ilk. You didn't think your brand of malcontent was original did you?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cobblers posted:

Today CIG created a sub-group of citizens who will be inflited with get access to the earlier builds, rather than expose the janky mess of SC at its jankiest and messiest to everyone. Those in the group will be under an NDA which also provides that the players won't be allowed to take screenshots/stream. Once again, :pgabz: determines the decisions of a $110+ million dollar company.

You got it in your browser cache? He deleted the letter from reddit

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

The first time was a direct response to you being an arsehole.

The second time was me remembering you and your ilk. You didn't think your brand of malcontent was original did you?

Go on.

loving :laffo: :laffo:

Regarde Aduck posted:

The British identity is one of being nasty to other people. The only bright spot was ending up on the right side of history in the second world war. And that was only because Hitler went just a little bit too far. If he'd had reigned it in a little bit i'm sure the UK would have gladly backed his "moderate" fascist goals. We would have probably colluded with them to gently caress Poland if they'd had just asked first. The UK was a dumb bad country but Hitler was even dumber and managed to force us into being enemies.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sure is entertaining to read endless posts whining about Derek and EightAce. I hope it makes up 100% of the thread from here on out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I remember when I was a kid and was read this rather famous story, maybe you heard of it, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. It had an interesting life lesson that seems to have been lost on some people.

I appreciate what some (not gonna name names) have done in this thread, I do. But you have to understand when you continue to make bold statements and proclamations that never materialize people are going to stop giving a poo poo and just want the game playing to stop.

If anyone really cares about the backers, or the money, or whatever other stupid excuse then just come out with the info. Hasten the downfall. Quit playing games. Quit making excuses. In this day and age it can be done annomously. If you really care about any of this, and not your own need to dick wag, then the bullshit games would be done and the info would be out there. As honestly it needs to be.

Yet here we are. Bitching about cyphers and codes and continuing hyperbolic statements that go nowhere and only serve to make all sides look a little stupider for even playing this game.

I'm not blaming anyone for not "ruining your career" but here's the thing if your posting on here, and running away and coming back, or making cryptic statements, etc then you're already one foot in the grave. So that argument holds very little weight. Just do us all a favor and stop the game playing bullshit and either say something of substance or quit playing with people.

If you care, about the industry, people, money, etc then care. Quit being the boy who cried wolf and then getting pissy when people dare to call you on your self created bullshit

TL;DR No one wants to just play just the tip. Eventually you got to move on to the hard loving.

:five:

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

runsamok posted:

Open Development, ladies, gents & commandos!

Where even the test server of the test server needs a further, hidden test server which only increases the transparency with its own opacity.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. It really is tripling every second.

It has become so open that it has now in fact enveloped itself and closed. My favourite part is that it looks as if it's not even giving them access to an earlier version than would have been published previously - they're just putting what would have been put on the PU/public-testing whatever, (and made fun of for the colossal disaster that it is), under an NDA which according to the invitation email (in caps) will prohibit any screenshotting/streaming.

wleverett_cig posted:

We don't need thousands of people to download something like the very first 2.0.0 iteration that crashed every 30 seconds (literally) but we do need a few that want to endure a bit of pain.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

This. All of it.

LOL the honest truth is that Derek has become more the Sandi Gardiner of this thread than fuzzknot ever was. Look at ME! Listen to ME! I demand you stop talking about Ryan Archer and focus on ME!

I honestly like the guy, and agree that he's not all bad. I think he doesn't want his moment in the spotlight to end, after being largely ignored and left to his tiny niche for decades.

As for EightAce, I do think genuine fear of having gone too far and being identified resulted in his pulling back from the thread. And that's a legitimate concern, and I appreciate that.

Otherwise, it has become a game of "ooh, I know a secret, tee hee! I bet you wish you knew it too! two weeks! tee hee!"

And that part is getting old.

You realize that he wasn't talking about me, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

You realize that he wasn't talking about me, right?

loving LOL

• Locked thread