Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mr Dog posted:

Actually btrfs is, in fact, bad, and violates the end to end principle.

Maybe systemd does too but that doesnt change the fact that it's a gently caress of a lot better than anything that came before. The same is not true of btrfs.

I told Ubuntu and Fedora to use btrfs and haven't had any problems with it.

Other than the fact that when I try to make it mount the fs and use compression ubuntu says "well the SUPERBLOCK doesn't say to use compression gently caress you" and ignores it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

it's a copy-on-write fs that completely shits the bed performance-wise if you try to store anything nontrivial on it like a database or (ironically) a systemd binary journal (systemd has a btrfs-specific workaround in it for this problem).

zfs has similar design goals but none of btrfs' performance problems.

btrfs also has a nasty habit of suddenly running out of disk space despite claiming that you have plenty of disk space free. they might have fixed this recently idk.

also compression and encryption are better handled at the application layer, for the same reasons as in computer networking. to give one example, LZMA and H.264 are both types of "compression". which is appropriate depends on the application and the expected access patterns.

but lennart poettering has a huge boner for btrfs so he's going force people to use it anyway.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
doesn't zfs work best with ecc ram and stuff? that would make it a total non starter for anything except linux on the server/workstation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
probably, idk.

the btrfs and zfs merkle tree integrity stuff is something that shouldn't have to exist. hard disks and ssds already stuff your blocks with error correcting codes and return block io errors if those eccs fail. of course, if the manufacturer cheaps out on the ecc redundancy in order to squeeze more capacity out of the storage medium then yeah you're going to get undetectable bit errors.

i got into an argument about zfs with a friend of mine recently. he bought some ultra lovely seagate drives that fail every three months or something, but he says he doesn't care because he's from europe and seagate are obligated to keep replacing them for five years, or something like that. so he makes heavy use of zfs raid and integrity checking. i told him that he might value a drive that's known to corrupt his data at $0, but i value such a drive at -$infinity, and that his pathological setup is really not an argument in favour of zfs.

basically i'm a big fan of composable abstractions, and block-device-with-DISCARD is a nice one that mostly does the job. like, i'm not going to get religious about it, but anything that breaks layers as egregiously as btrfs does smells really bad to me and it needs to demonstrate a very clear win for me to accept it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What's wrong with ext4

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nothing at all, it's what i use.

then there's xfs which is, i dunno, basically the same thing as ext4 except slightly better? i'm sure that's fine too. i used xfs briefly back in the linux 2.4 days. it would reliably zero out every single file that was open at the time of a system crash. every single time. suffice it to say i didn't touch xfs again after that.

then again, linux itself pre 2.6 was a toy and you would have been a fool to trust it with anything important.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

use hfs+, problem solved

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

blowfish posted:

doesn't zfs work best with ecc ram and stuff? that would make it a total non starter for anything except linux on the server/workstation

a total non starter for anything except the things linux is suitable for? oh dear that does sound bad

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

it would reliably zero out every single file that was open at the time of a system crash. every single time.

sounds like a great way to ensure that the integrity of your data is intact. no data? it was probably busted anyway

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

also fs compression rules because if you have a semi-modern processor instead of a Cyrix or whatever it makes computer faster. btrfs supports both LZO and LZMA so you can choose LZO for low overhead if you're not entirely storing compressible data

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

a total non starter for anything except the things linux is suitable for? oh dear that does sound bad

Pardon me Sir, I use Linux on my gaming rig.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Captain Foo posted:

What's wrong with ext4
it's a working file system and we can't have something that works in the linux thread

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

i'll count it as a workstation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

also compression and encryption are better handled at the application layer,

look at this terrible opinion

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Smythe posted:

the cool part about falling out of gaming and having a beefy rig is that you can run an insane amount of virtual machines when needed.

if dark souls was on linux i wouldn't have a windows partition.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

b0red posted:

the cool part about falling out of gaming and having a beefy rig is that you can run an insane amount of virtual machines when needed.

if dark souls was on linux i wouldn't have a windows partition.

powerful beefy rigs are so good dude. got mad poo poo in this beast and it just owns hard as hell.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the beefy rig does all computer tasks fast as hell and easily. loving around on some piddly laptop? gently caress off.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

btrfs:zfs::android:ios

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

actually thats too generous, its more like firefox os

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

zfs can break my layers all day everyday

i dont even need a safeword i give myself over fully

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Smythe posted:

the beefy rig does all computer tasks fast as hell and easily. loving around on some piddly laptop? gently caress off.

wireless drivers? real men have beefcake rigs with direct lines. none of this pussy rear end wifi poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

b0red posted:

wireless drivers? real men have beefcake rigs with direct lines. none of this pussy rear end wifi poo poo.

agreed

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

do Nvidia's Tesla cards have a different driver than the video cards

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

they provide it as a separate binary but since the version #s are same i always assumed it was the same driver with different device info/packaging

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

nothing at all, it's what i use.

Phoenixan posted:

it's a working file system and we can't have something that works in the linux thread

Okay this is what I thought

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used reisermurderFS back in the day.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
He hadn't murdered anybody back then and it was better than ext3 iirc.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ratbert90 posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

the butthurt the murderFS redirect generated in wikipedia article comments was glorious

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also, someone should make yospoFS

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
fat already exists tho?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I installed reiserfs on the postop

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?

:perfect:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
There should be a murderFS group tag.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a murderfsd-out gaming rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

a murderfsd-out gaming rig

find me in my garage on a sunday with my case door open, fans blazin, 20 htops open, screwdriver in hand. Just doing a little tuning before the week starts, gotta have my baby in top shape for the work week.