Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I went through a period where I liked Alestorm because it was just silly but also seemed like they could write good songs, when I bought Captain Morgan's Revenge. I even defended them a few times, as if it mattered. But then the more I started listening to it, the more lame it felt and the more lame I felt.

I told one friend, one time, that I kind of liked the album and now I am forever known as "the guy who likes pirate metal" even though I haven't listened to that goddamn band since 2008.

Just say no to pirate metal, or keep it quiet like your other kinks you don't want advertised. Otherwise you might as well get your puffy sleeved shirt and start going to renfaires and un-ironically calling women "wenches".

I realize the irony here that somehow satanic or viking metal bands are "cooler" but there is no denying pirate metal is lame, it's just whether or not you can handle the social abuse being a fan entails. I am weak and so now try to distance myself, don't make my mistake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TollTheHounds posted:

I realize the irony here that somehow satanic or viking metal bands are "cooler" but there is no denying pirate metal is lame, it's just whether or not you can handle the social abuse being a fan entails. I am weak and so now try to distance myself, don't make my mistake!
Your mistakes were
A) Not realizing that the pirate thing is really just a superficial gimmick and the actual "pirate metal" genre does not loving exist, and
B) Giving a poo poo what people think of your music taste. (If your friends are seriously giving you poo poo for liking silly music, they are terrible loving friends.)

Like, if you like the Pirates of the Caribbean films, are you gonna care about some guy mocking you for "liking pirate movies"? Because that would be a stupid drat thing to mock someone for, because guess what, "pirate movie" isn't a genre either, they're just comedic adventure films that happen to be about pirates. Just like Alestorm are just a cheesy melodic "folk" metal band that sing about stupid pirate things.

Personally, while I still think their pirate schtick is very entertaining and find their humour hilarious, I still enjoy them just as much if not more for their music which is great fun to listen to when I want some catchy, upbeat entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzONnhxrWk

P.S: You better not like Bolt Thrower, because if you do you might as well just start wearing fake power armor and going to conventions to purge heretics.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nordick posted:

P.S: You better not like Bolt Thrower, because if you do you might as well just start wearing fake power armor and going to conventions to purge heretics.

lol, just loving lol, if you don't already do this

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Nordick posted:

Your mistakes were
A) Not realizing that the pirate thing is really just a superficial gimmick and the actual "pirate metal" genre does not loving exist, and
B) Giving a poo poo what people think of your music taste. (If your friends are seriously giving you poo poo for liking silly music, they are terrible loving friends.)

Like, if you like the Pirates of the Caribbean films, are you gonna care about some guy mocking you for "liking pirate movies"? Because that would be a stupid drat thing to mock someone for, because guess what, "pirate movie" isn't a genre either, they're just comedic adventure films that happen to be about pirates. Just like Alestorm are just a cheesy melodic "folk" metal band that sing about stupid pirate things.

Personally, while I still think their pirate schtick is very entertaining and find their humour hilarious, I still enjoy them just as much if not more for their music which is great fun to listen to when I want some catchy, upbeat entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm some sort of social pariah who runs to the bathroom and weeps while people point and laugh because someone let slip I bought an Alestorm album 8 years ago. I haven't been a teenager for a long time.

As for your bold claim about Pirate Metal not being a Genre...

Wikipedia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_metal

Pirate metal is a subgenre of heavy metal,[1][2][3] characterized by its incorporation of pirate mythology within the music and sometimes in stage performances. Lyrics often use piratical jargon[1] and various musical genres, such as thrash,[4] speed metal,[1] and folk metal,[5] may be combined with traditional-sounding songs like sea shanties.[1] Folk instruments, such as the concertina, can be incorporated or emulated with synthesizers.[6] Band members often dress up in period costume during performances, and concert attendees may do so as well.[7] Pirate metal is sometimes referred to by the media as a music scene.[7]

It's just a common ribbing point with my friends, kind of like how I always make fun of another guy because he likes Bolt Thrower, who are absolute garbage.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

TollTheHounds posted:

Pirate Metal is as much a genre as Whalecore.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TollTheHounds posted:

It's just a common ribbing point with my friends, kind of like how I always make fun of another guy because he likes Bolt Thrower, who are absolute garbage.

im gonna find you and kill you to death

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Remember guys, if you listen to the wrong type of metal, you are forever a false who may not entry.

Tread lightly with your genre choices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm definitely a false, and stand outside chirping insults at the trues who keep going inside.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm some sort of social pariah who runs to the bathroom and weeps while people point and laugh because someone let slip I bought an Alestorm album 8 years ago. I haven't been a teenager for a long time.

drat, a wikipedia link? pack it in boys, this is a real genre

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay that made me chuckle.

But yeah, just because some kook looked at all the three bands that get called Pirate Metal and farted out a Wikipedia entry about them doesn't make it a real genre. I mean sure, Alestorm themselves have thrown around "True Scottish Pirate Metal" but that's just part of the joke. You could just as well just pick a handful of power metal bands who sing about dragons more than the average power metal band and make up something about how they're a subgenre called Dragon Metal or whatever. There are people who insist on inventing new sub-sub-subgenres for loving everything, but you shouldn't buy into that nonsense.

quote:

Band members often dress up in period costume during performances, and concert attendees may do so as well.
Finntroll wear fake troll ears and tails and scruffy wigs etc on stage, should they be reclassified as Troll Metal? :v: Dressing up for the show is just a thing that people do.
Seriously, take a listen to this Swashbuckle song and tell me with a straight face it isn't just bogstandard thrash metal except for the costumes.

Anyways, reading my previous post again I realise I'm sounding way more confrontational about this than I intended. Some people don't like Alestorm because they feel like the joke got old or they don't like the gimmick to begin with. I'm totally okay with that*, I'm just a bit confounded by people who read too much into the whole pirate thing.

*: I still feel sorry for their inability to feel joy, though

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 12, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Finntroll did call themselves that

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

jfc are we really arguing about whether pirate metal is a genre or not

e: stfu and listen to the new vektor with me again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaIcjemHvA

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Incoherence posted:

Pirate Metal is as much a genre as Whalecore.

Ahab loving rules and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. Boat hooks at ten paces.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

You usually need more than Running Wild plus a couple novelty acts to start being a genre.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fritz posted:

You usually need more than Running Wild plus a couple novelty acts to start being a genre.

It's also usually helpful if the bands actually sound similar

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Shakenbaker posted:

Thyrfing and the whenever Vintersorg is singing in Swedish can be the other two good ones.

This is a factual statement.

Speaking of Vintersorg, what is Borknagar considered? science metal?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vargatron posted:

Remember guys, if you listen to the wrong type of metal, you are forever a false who may not entry.

Tread lightly with your genre choices.

and don't get me started on if you're either a wimp or a poser

if you are, just go ahead and leave the hall

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Speaking of Vintersorg, what is Borknagar considered? science metal?

"Bad"

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

fritz posted:

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=viking&type=band_genre

if there are 400 entries for viking metal does that really make it a genre, or is it just a theme in metal?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

if there are 400 entries for viking metal does that really make it a genre, or is it just a theme in metal?

It's both a theme and a group of Bathory-aping bands but neither of those things justify being a genre.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Not all pirates sing in pirate-metal bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eblFOXlHDs

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Not all pirates sing in pirate-metal bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eblFOXlHDs
Nils Patrik Johansson is just the best loving vocalist. And this is such a fantastic loving song, the guitar leads and soaring melodies just loving nail it for me. God drat that chorus is just absurdly catchy.

And the band's lyrics are great. I love how The Desperate Poet is just throwing rhymes wildly at the wind, until it gets to that part at 3:10 and just :stare: fuuuuuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHpR1m7b9b0

I love this album so much, it's easily one of my top 10 albums ever.

EDIT: Also I actually have a vague memory of some youtube retards trying to lump it under "pirate metal". You know, because of the vague nautical theme and I guess because Johansson sounds a bit raspy or something? loving lol anyway.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 12, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here's a cool song to listen to that definitely isn't about vikings or pirates. Instead it is about thundersteel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg

I don't know if they're underappreciated, forgotten or just not that well known but Riot don't really get a lot mentions these days.

Also, here's a song thats basically Iron Savior except its 1985. Its also pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFd6D8f4c8

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MrBling posted:

Here's a cool song to listen to that definitely isn't about vikings or pirates. Instead it is about thundersteel.

I don't know if they're underappreciated, forgotten or just not that well known but Riot don't really get a lot mentions these days.
I thought Fire Down Under was regarded as one of the influential early American heavy metal albums?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

I thought Fire Down Under was regarded as one of the influential early American heavy metal albums?

And one of the worst album covers.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

And one of the worst album covers.
Well, y'know, if you want to stand out, why not the head of baby seal?

At least, I've always assumed it was a baby seal.

I have no idea what the hell it is.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

symbolic posted:

Well, y'know, if you want to stand out, why not the head of baby seal?

At least, I've always assumed it was a baby seal.

I have no idea what the hell it is.

Its just a weird seal thing. That cover always freaked me out a little bit.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

COOL CORN posted:

and don't get me started on if you're either a wimp or a poser

if you are, just go ahead and leave the hall

Spoken just like a NERD.

Varg posted:

I wasn't trying to play some sort of trump card by dropping a pirate metal wiki link, it was a joke ffs stop being so literal you goons.

BUT this raises a good point. I think when your "theme" reaches the point where it is ubiquitously used to describe the music you are playing and by using it people ( even complete outsiders ) know EXACTLY what to expect, it doesn't really matter if it is a genre or not. I don't want to have to write a goddamn paragraph or give someone a 5 minute explanation of genres they don't understand if I'm trying to describe Alestorm. All I have to do is say "Pirate Metal" and that is sufficient.

I will forever use Pirate Metal to describe Alestorm and Swashbuckle, I don't give a poo poo if they are thrash or folk "technically", you know that you're going to get songs about taverns wenches and rum combined with puffy shirts and people who laugh too hard at the lyrics.

Nordick posted:

Finntroll wear fake troll ears and tails and scruffy wigs etc on stage, should they be reclassified as Troll Metal? :v: Dressing up for the show is just a thing that people do.
Seriously, take a listen to this Swashbuckle song and tell me with a straight face it isn't just bogstandard thrash metal except for the costumes.

They didn't always though, and the moment they started doing that with Blodsvept and started to go more "silly" was when they started going downhill for me, though I can't blame them for wanting to try something different I guess. I just remember seeing them so many times and being blown away by how powerful they were live, and now they just seem like a joke. What a waste.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Actual content post:

I've never heard of Death Fortress before but this is some good poo poo.

http://deathfortress.bandcamp.com/album/deathless-march-of-the-unyielding

It's like Dissection only dirtier and more dissonant and chaotic.

[edit] poo poo it's FREE too, but I think it's worth $$.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Also I actually have a vague memory of some youtube retards trying to lump it under "pirate metal". You know, because of the vague nautical theme and I guess because Johansson sounds a bit raspy or something? loving lol anyway.

While I agree that arguing over metal sub genres is silly, I have recommended them to others looking for" more pirate metal"and gotten good feedback. Also he does sound like a real life pirate and I'm not convinced he isn't.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Do you define musical genre by the composition of the music thereof, or the theme of the lyrics? For example, thrash metal can be set apart by the used of tritone and chromatic riffs coupled by the fast tempo. Power metal also contains similar speed, but features much slower chord progressions and key changes.

Compositionally, what sets a band like Alestorm apart from another folk metal oriented group? Is it just the lyrical content or are they doing something else with the music that is distinctly pirate oriented?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vargatron posted:

Do you define musical genre by the composition of the music thereof, or the theme of the lyrics? For example, thrash metal can be set apart by the used of tritone and chromatic riffs coupled by the fast tempo. Power metal also contains similar speed, but features much slower chord progressions and key changes.

Personally, I use drum beats, guitar tones/tunings, and guitar riffs to differentiate genres. But I'm retarded.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Vargatron posted:

Compositionally, what sets a band like Alestorm apart from another folk metal oriented group? Is it just the lyrical content or are they doing something else with the music that is distinctly pirate oriented?

Well to me the question is more: what is the difference between referring to a band by it's "true" genre vs. it's colloquial "theme"? Isn't it just about how :spergin: you want to be?

Metal :spergin: are going to flip out if you don't use 9 adjectives to classify a band, vs. a non :spergin: who is going to go "what the gently caress is melodic blackened death metal with folk elements anyway", then somewhere in-between you have those who go "yeah it's basically just X metal, who cares".

However, when it comes to poo poo like goddamn Pirate Metal, the term portrays EXACTLY what you think in your head to basically anyone. The only person who is going to question the term is going to be a :spergin: who dislikes the fact you are referring to a band theme as if it were a genre or a :spergin: who is a fan and takes offense that the term itself is derogatory ( it usually seems to be both ). Everyone else ( anecdotally ) goes: "oh ok, so it's metal but with puffy shirts, songs about keel hauling and wenches? I'm [in/not in] to that".

In the case of Alestorm, it is my opinion they have so thematically themed themselves as Pirates in every way imaginable ( including many songs in a "sea shanty" style of verse, which is unique and different from regular folk though it borrows elements to be sure, I've got a wiki link somewhere here ), that to refer to them as "Pirate Metal" is no more incorrect then calling them "Thrash Folk Power metal with pirate themed lyrics and outfits".

This is more than I ever thought I would write about Alestorm or pirate metal, so I guess that makes me a :spergin: as well.

:spergin:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also he does sound like a real life pirate and I'm not convinced he isn't.
He mostly just sounds like Dio to me. :shrug:

Vargatron posted:

Do you define musical genre by the composition of the music thereof, or the theme of the lyrics?
The former is what it should be, imo.

Vargatron posted:

Maybe if you really stretch things you could argue that some of their songs are kinda like sea shanties? Otherwise they're really just the generic pseudo-folky melodic metal with some fiddle and a keytar accordion etc.

EDIT: As for :spergin:ess, yeah maybe this is that but it's still more interesting than just endless youtube dumps of whatever someone has come across. Not that there's anything wrong with that because it's cool to discover new stuff, but it's still fun to have some actual discussion once in a while, you know?

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 12, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Nice meltdowns itt; here's some music to listen to while you're reading them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmtcEHWHclk

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
^ That's some pretty drat good war metal right there

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Nice meltdowns itt; here's some music to listen to while you're reading them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmtcEHWHclk

Nordick posted:

^ That's some pretty drat good war metal right there

Excuse me that is World War II Metal. :colbert:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

Actual content post:

I've never heard of Death Fortress before but this is some good poo poo.

http://deathfortress.bandcamp.com/album/deathless-march-of-the-unyielding

It's like Dissection only dirtier and more dissonant and chaotic.

[edit] poo poo it's FREE too, but I think it's worth $$.

I haven't really listened to their new one, but their first album and earlier material was quite Hate Forest influenced.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

MrBling posted:

Also, here's a song thats basically Iron Savior except its 1985. Its also pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFd6D8f4c8

In that vein ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYplic3G0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhiRjkok4gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

However, when it comes to poo poo like goddamn Pirate Metal, the term portrays EXACTLY what you think in your head to basically anyone.

It's true, and it really says something about the universally of music. Pick 10 people from 10 completely different cultures, and every one of them - when they hear the term "Pirate Metal" - will automatically picture a garbage can.