Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
I have this strange feeling that I am going to be underwhelmed by the blog post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I subscribe to this timeline, though things are moving a bit faster than it predicted. CIG's path has been set for a while: Slowly but steadily cut out anything that does not make Squadron 42. Put the PU on life support, reduce scope, weasel out of Kickstarter goals, do anything that will let Chris keep his dream of returning to Hollywood alive. The one thing that could really throw a wrench into that plan is if one of the leads for Squadron 42 quit, or something else happens that means the whole thing has to be restarted. That would constitute an ELE.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SomethingJones posted:

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 82
Apr 11, 2016 @ 5:54

Q: As more and more features are made live within the Baby PU, such as persistence, what will happen at 'Go Live'? Will the universe be reset to first positions a la Truman Show style or will our current endeavours persist over the threshold?

A: Again, that's another good question, so uhmm, we haven't made a hard and fast rule of it, so the plan is with the current mini pee ewe, ahm, especially when we start dee-doo-puh-persistence... ahh... which will have some currency, it will be ALPHA UEC and ALPHA UEC we can, ah, reset at any time... we'll still let you SPEND some of the actual PROPER UEC that you guys have COLLECTED or have been given, and in that case we won't reset things that you have bought with that.... ahhhhh.... and I think I mentioned this last week, but we also won't, um... um... take those things back if you'd bought 'em with and we'll let you, ahhh... sort of TRADE THEM IN for the FULL UEC price... whereas on the ALPHA UEC it will be much more like how the FINAL IMPLEMENTATION will be whereas if you sort of buy a new... SHIP or a new WEAPON and you come back to sell it back again it will have... taken some depreciation... ah, so we'll... occasionally RESET... ahh... STUFF... I think, until we have the dynamic arc... economy working... ah, over quite a few star citiz... star... sys...tems... we won't have sort of felt like everything's sort of BALANCED and... FREE of EXPLOITS and GLITCHES so, until then we problee... uhm... we'll sort of reserve the right to RESET STUFF... but there very well may be a case before we sort of consider it (air quote) FINAL GO LIVE, that we just decide, OOP! This is it! We're switching to PROPER UEC, everything's stable enough and we go from here, and things then at that point on that you build up or EARN, uhm... mm... would... STAY WITH YOU, although... to be honest with you... that probably is a pretty good definition of like, GO LIVE... so... ahhm... THAT'S KIND OF IT, like I said but not a hard and fast rule, though it is kind of the sort of THINKING that... we have is so we're approaching it
chris roberts is one dumb motherfucker

how is the answer not "we'll reset everything before the game goes live like every other game with persistent currency or items that's gone through public beta testing because to do otherwise would be stupid beyond words"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm guessing there's an unfixable problem with the mocap footage and they don't have enough cash for any more reshoots.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm guessing there's an unfixable problem with the mocap footage and they don't have enough cash for any more reshoots.

I'll go for this as well

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Ash1138 posted:

chris roberts is one dumb motherfucker

how is the answer not "we'll reset everything before the game goes live like every other game with persistent currency or items that's gone through public beta testing because to do otherwise would be stupid beyond words"

It's so they can one day say "look we haven't reset the persistence in two months that means the game actually launched two months ago, so we're actually live right now, no refunds".

They're literally going to do exactly this, it's pretty obvious.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Apr 11, 2016 @ 23:33

Q: Given that spaceport security and armistice zones are meant to protect against griefing, would it be possible for a REALLY skilled or co-ordinated team of players to circumvent that security for nefarious purposes? Like say a handful of players roleplaying as violent extremists wants to stage a terrorist attack on Terra.

A: That is a... interesting ah, question, I would say that... there will be PLACES that it will be almost impossible to do anything in, and then there will be PLACES where there is security and armistice zones that if you're very determined... and, uh, you know... SHUT DOWN security systems and do away with everything else you could potentially cause some mayhem and we'll sort of... GRADUALLY sort of... BUILD that in such a way like... so... so... probbly doing it in the terrorist attack on Terra is gonna be out of the question... ah, but there may be some... SPACE STATIONS OR STUFF that are sort of... KINDA IN BETWEEN where maybe the security isn't... is not as close to the POWER of the UEE... ah, although it does have SECURITY and LAW ENFORCEMENT, but... a determined group of PIRATES could for a very short period of time, cause SOME MAYHEM there and it'll sort of be, you know... we'll have a few of THOSE, we'll have some SAFE PLACES, and then we'll have some COMPLETELY UNSAFE PLACES, ah... and prolly the RISK REWARD of all those PLACES will sort of be FACTORED IN, so, you prolly could make the most nnnnn...mmoney in the sort of... UNSAFEST AREAS... but of course there's a higher risk, aahh... and the SAFE AREAS you don't make as much money, say TRADING and DOING STUFF, but it... it's pretty safe and you're not likely to be ATTACKED and if you are ATTACKED... ahm... you know... there's a lot of BACK UP and HELP that would SHOW UP... so... ah, you know... but... we WILL make it so that, you know, for instance, ah... you know, PERHAPS there COULD BE a... uh... HEIST! in... a really... like... you know, something like the TERRA SYSTEM... ahm... for like a CARGO SHIP full of... I don't know... GOLD BULLION or something... but the HEIST! would have to be INCREDIBLY WELL PLANNED, think of it like the... HEAT HEIST at the beginning of... the film HEAT with, ahm... you know... DE NIRO and... PACINO... ahm... the way you'd have to (jazz hands) TAKE DOWN ALL THE SECURITY SYSTEMS and DO ALL THIS and CO ORDINATE and DO IT ALL AT ONCE... ahm... and you would have a window of you know, a very small AMOUNT OF TIME before you get AWAY WITH THE LOOT, and... those kind of HEISTS would be much more... uhm... kind of... NPC AI driven, in terms of... WHAT YOU'RE HEISTING, maybe that shipment is something that's getting shipped from... BANK OF TERRA to... SOMEWHERE ELSE and someone gets wind of it as a CRIMINAL MISSION and of course there could also be players and other AI that also... PERFORM SECURITY and so... you know that'd be REALLY HARD to do, but if you manage to do it the PAYOFF would be really BIG... and of course you also have the risk of, you know, being a WANTED PERSON and all the rest of stuff... so we'll build those aspect in, we're gonna have... AREAS that will let... ah... that kind of gameplay WORK, and, ah, you know like I said POTENTIALLY there could be some... LESS SAFE uhm... ah... SPACE STATIONS but there will definitely always be some places that... we're just not gonna let you go in and... and... DESTABILISE so like... TERRA-UHR-EARTH... those kinda ones will... pretty much be... ah... you know... pretty SAFE HAVENS and even when you go down onto 'em, you'll, you know, to PASS THROUGH the sort of CUSTOMS or IMMIGRATION you'll have to... ahm... you know... CASH IN or PASS IN your weapons that you have you can't take any weapons with you and they'll scan you going through I think... if you look at THE ARC CORP you'll sort of see the scanner set up and everything so you have to... LAND ON THE OUTSIDE you pass through CUSTOMS and uh, it's all sort of secure, and then there'll be some places that won't have that, like you know I would definitely think that... ahm... you know NIX... ah, you know really LAVSKEESH would be... LESS SECURE in the long run... ah, and that would have more sort of... uhm... kind of... LAW ON THE GROUND so to speak so if you went in there and anyone took a GUN and they started SHOOTING then, you know, maybe, ah.. the local POLICE GUYS would come after you but that's sort of... the things that we'll play with but there'll definitely be places that are SAFE and there'll deinitely be places that WON'T BE SAFE

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

haha get hosed, croberts

better fire up another jpeg sale

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Ghostlight posted:

I can't believe the password isn't "iamdereksmart"

Hope you don't get too constipated from those Clifford - it would really aggravate the depression I'm assuming you're taking them for.

The one on the left looks like it's Ondansetron, which is used to treat OCD among other things.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SomethingJones posted:

Q: Given that spaceport security and armistice zones are meant to protect against griefing, would it be possible for a REALLY skilled or co-ordinated team of players to circumvent that security for nefarious purposes? Like say a handful of players roleplaying as violent extremists wants to stage a terrorist attack on Terra.

A: That is a... interesting ah, question, I would say that... there will be PLACES that it will be almost impossible to do anything in, and then there will be PLACES where there is security and armistice zones that if you're very determined... and, uh, you know... SHUT DOWN security systems and do away with everything else you could potentially cause some mayhem and we'll sort of... GRADUALLY sort of... BUILD that in such a way like... so... so... probbly doing it in the terrorist attack on Terra is gonna be out of the question... ah, but there may be some... SPACE STATIONS OR STUFF that are sort of... KINDA IN BETWEEN where maybe the security isn't... is not as close to the POWER of the UEE... ah, although it does have SECURITY and LAW ENFORCEMENT, but... a determined group of PIRATES could for a very short period of time, cause SOME MAYHEM there and it'll sort of be, you know... we'll have a few of THOSE, we'll have some SAFE PLACES, and then we'll have some COMPLETELY UNSAFE PLACES, ah... and prolly the RISK REWARD of all those PLACES will sort of be FACTORED IN, so, you prolly could make the most nnnnn...mmoney in the sort of... UNSAFEST AREAS... but of course there's a higher risk, aahh... and the SAFE AREAS you don't make as much money, say TRADING and DOING STUFF, but it... it's pretty safe and you're not likely to be ATTACKED and if you are ATTACKED... ahm... you know... there's a lot of BACK UP and HELP that would SHOW UP... so... ah, you know... but... we WILL make it so that, you know, for instance, ah... you know, PERHAPS there COULD BE a... uh... HEIST! in... a really... like... you know, something like the TERRA SYSTEM... ahm... for like a CARGO SHIP full of... I don't know... GOLD BULLION or something... but the HEIST! would have to be INCREDIBLY WELL PLANNED, think of it like the... HEAT HEIST at the beginning of... the film HEAT with, ahm... you know... DE NIRO and... PACINO... ahm... the way you'd have to (jazz hands) TAKE DOWN ALL THE SECURITY SYSTEMS and DO ALL THIS and CO ORDINATE and DO IT ALL AT ONCE... ahm... and you would have a window of you know, a very small AMOUNT OF TIME before you get AWAY WITH THE LOOT, and... those kind of HEISTS would be much more... uhm... kind of... NPC AI driven, in terms of... WHAT YOU'RE HEISTING, maybe that shipment is something that's getting shipped from... BANK OF TERRA to... SOMEWHERE ELSE and someone gets wind of it as a CRIMINAL MISSION and of course there could also be players and other AI that also... PERFORM SECURITY and so... you know that'd be REALLY HARD to do, but if you manage to do it the PAYOFF would be really BIG... and of course you also have the risk of, you know, being a WANTED PERSON and all the rest of stuff... so we'll build those aspect in, we're gonna have... AREAS that will let... ah... that kind of gameplay WORK, and, ah, you know like I said POTENTIALLY there could be some... LESS SAFE uhm... ah... SPACE STATIONS but there will definitely always be some places that... we're just not gonna let you go in and... and... DESTABILISE so like... TERRA-UHR-EARTH... those kinda ones will... pretty much be... ah... you know... pretty SAFE HAVENS and even when you go down onto 'em, you'll, you know, to PASS THROUGH the sort of CUSTOMS or IMMIGRATION you'll have to... ahm... you know... CASH IN or PASS IN your weapons that you have you can't take any weapons with you and they'll scan you going through I think... if you look at THE ARC CORP you'll sort of see the scanner set up and everything so you have to... LAND ON THE OUTSIDE you pass through CUSTOMS and uh, it's all sort of secure, and then there'll be some places that won't have that, like you know I would definitely think that... ahm... you know NIX... ah, you know really LAVSKEESH would be... LESS SECURE in the long run... ah, and that would have more sort of... uhm... kind of... LAW ON THE GROUND so to speak so if you went in there and anyone took a GUN and they started SHOOTING then, you know, maybe, ah.. the local POLICE GUYS would come after you but that's sort of... the things that we'll play with but there'll definitely be places that are SAFE and there'll deinitely be places that WON'T BE SAFE

Coke or stroke? Or both?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So both, twice, at once.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Zo posted:

It's so they can one day say "look we haven't reset the persistence in two months that means the game actually launched two months ago, so we're actually live right now, no refunds".

They're literally going to do exactly this, it's pretty obvious.
i can't wait to see them try to deal with whales who lose their ships because of bugs and whoops no resets like other beta tests

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They do. The automated relay drones do so at a set interval since jumping takes fuel. The interval is slow enough that a courier can still beat them (I think it's like every 30 minutes or something). I believe high priority communications override that system so that the relay drone automatically goes as soon as it receives a message.

The drones can supposedly be destroyed as well.

Posting from 10 pages back. Does CR have absolutely no clue that quantum entanglement exists? Lol

The info runner sounds like a WW1 runner.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ahahahahahaha!!!

I needed that laugh.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

haha he doesn't have a loving clue what the question was referring to

god drat, if you think goons are a pain in your rear end now, crobbers, don't bother finishing this game

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

no_recall posted:

Posting from 10 pages back. Does CR have absolutely no clue that quantum entanglement exists? Lol

The info runner sounds like a WW1 runner.

Every now and then I get the feeling Chris doesn't know what he is doing and he is making things up as he goes along
Then I remember he made a game of animated gifs and text 30 years ago and my faith is restored in Chris and in PC gaming in general

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen is real guys, here is Chris Roberts taking down all the security systems

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
PGabz it is so good to have you back.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The one on the left looks like it's Ondansetron, which is used to treat OCD among other things.
The label says it contains Phenylalanine.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A video approaches.
Not much time to play tonight, but some fun was had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGfQvQai_fc

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If I didn't already know better, I'd be hoping it was because croberts insisted on using 35mm film for the mocap, or something equally moronic, and all they had was 100s of hours of useless film cans of people prancing about in leotards with pingpong balls all over them like some sort of bizzare art nouveu project.

Sadly, that dream died when they showed croberts "directing" Andy Serkiahahahahahahahahahahahaha it's too much.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I don't know about you guys but this answer fill me with confidence in the project!

Man, I know it's already been mentioned but his answer to the last question really is one of the most inadvertently illuminating reveals in 10ftC history.

If SomethingJones hasn't transcribed this one, man, it is so worthy of it... (Wait I just saw he did it below-- GREAT JOB, SJ!)

Chris wants so badly to say "yes, big terrorist attacks can happen"... And as he starts his reply, it seems like he's going to affirm it as he makes up his plan literally on the spot... (I know this was said before by AP but it's really worth repeating because it's rarely THIS obvious...)

He wants to affirm it -- then somehow reason prevails and then he walks it back...

...before going forward again and then introducing the possibility of in-game heists and talking about risk/reward/gold/NPC ai/etc....

...before once again returning to the question about terrorism, then going off on a speculative ramble about Nyx and other goobledegook.

This says everything. It says everything you could ever want to know about The Plan.

It is being made up on the fly, subject to revision at any moment, totally lacking in focus or detail, completely couched in qualifiers ('maybe', 'sort of, 'i could see...', 'possibly...', 'or we might...', 'and then maybe also...'), poaching mechanics other games in real time, and with no coherent through-line. He showed up, read a question, blurted out whatever was running through his head in real time, and was satisfied he said something.

And he did, "THERE IS NO GAMEPLAN. THERE IS NO ROADMAP. HERE, HAVE SOME WORDS SO YOUR CONFIDENCE IN THE PROJECT HOLDS TRUE. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING US WITH YOUR MONEY.'

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"Shields coming up"
oil on canvas, 1853

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Is it that common for people with the name 'Archer' to do the arrow thing in their signature or did he just lift that too?

From here: http://www.archerfriendlywellness.com/

Probably coincidence but considering literally everything else the guy has done seems to be stolen from somewhere else I wouldn't be surprised

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

PGabz it is so good to have you back.

I never really went away my man, just busy with stuff.
To keep it brief my company lost a long term contract because the company it was with with bust, so I have been quickly putting together pitches and quotes to fill in that gap.
It's gone well so hopefully in a week I'll be able to slack off once more.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Xaerael posted:

... WIFE? :eyepop:

my thought exactly however with that many pills maybe he thinks the pharm tech is his wife.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

A video approaches.

NEVER LEAVE US AGAIN.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

A video approaches.

:vince: :vince: :vince:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Today this happened in smart discord.
can anyone verify if its true?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

A video approaches.

Are you serious? Tell me that doesn't work.
I have no reason to believe, hope, or wish that the game works sensibly, but please tell me that it's not put together that stupidly. :cripes:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I never really went away my man, just busy with stuff.
To keep it brief my company lost a long term contract because the company it was with with bust, so I have been quickly putting together pitches and quotes to fill in that gap.
It's gone well so hopefully in a week I'll be able to slack off once more.

Sad times, hope everything turns out ok. Slack thread time is hard earned.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I'll go with:

The mo-cap shooting (and voice recording?) that began last week is to redo substantial/majority/all portions of Sq42's story, and either Gary Oldman or Mark Hamill have refused to show up. A recast for the role is required - or sourcing an impressionist.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AP posted:

First couple of minutes, he acts like a sulky child because random people haven't been sending him so many gifts.
MOTHERFUCKER, THEY'VE ALREADY GIVEN YOU $110 MILLION! YOU'RE NOW SUPPOSED TO GIVE THEM STUFF, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND!

Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest. Can you imagine the reaction if the head of any other company, IN A PRESENTATION TO HIS FINANCIAL BACKERS, said "Oh, but before we get going: noticed no one's send us any presents for a couple of weeks. :( So if anyone wants to send us anything..." I'm fairly sure Lando ordered that stuff just to get Chris to shut up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

With a little animated head-bob, this would make an excellent Muttley analogue.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

A video approaches.

:dance:

Your videos & musical choices inspire me to be a better person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The "exploit" in that video is killing me. I'm dead.

• Locked thread