Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Game was fine for a half hour, then returning to firelink started crashing me. Updated drivers to the latest release, and now it slideshows on startup and then crashes.

Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get these stance weapon arts. So you hold the button to enter the stance, press strong attack to unleash the stance version of the heavy attack. But to unleash the stance version of the light attack, you don't just hit the light attack button? Instead it seems like you have to let go of the stance button and press the light attack at the same moment.

It feels really clunky. I'm not seeing why the light attack doesn't work like the strong one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get these stance weapon arts. So you hold the button to enter the stance, press strong attack to unleash the stance version of the heavy attack. But to unleash the stance version of the light attack, you don't just hit the light attack button? Instead it seems like you have to let go of the stance button and press the light attack at the same moment.

It feels really clunky. I'm not seeing why the light attack doesn't work like the strong one.

does on consoles, i dunno

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Well, invading is straight up unfun right now. Host connection advantage, 40% extra HP and usually two guys along with them. It's too hard to ruin someone's 5 minutes now.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Internet Kraken posted:

It does. I've used the broadsword's alternate guard-breaking R1 on the Lothric knights to great effect, it works exactly as you say it should.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This game has

1) The story of Dark Souls

2) The UI and aesthetic of Demon's Souls

3) The engine and combat of Bloodborne

What hath science wrought?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there an easy way to make my computer think that my old as hell Logitech Rumblepad 2 is a regular 360 controller? I had some issues making the inputs match properly with Dark Souls 2, and now 3 seems to refuse to recognize that there's a controller plugged in at all. Defaults to m+kb controls, and hammering all the buttons while the title screen is up doesn't have any response.
I'm guessing you've grabbed x360ce, or something different. If it's the former make sure that the appropriate DLLs exist. By default the program will create something for XInput, but you should make copies of that in the same directory with appropriate renames. (That should be ...1_1, ...1_2, ...1_3, and ...9_1_0. All .dll, of course.) My Logitech 310 was giving me similar issues until I did this, and then things worked fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I did some more testing and here's the issue; it doesn't work if I'm moving. If I hold still, I can light attack out of stance. Or if I release the stance button and mash light attack I can do it while moving. I can heavy attack out of stance no matter what I'm doing though, so it just seems bizarre.

Of course now I have the issue of my old control scheme not really working with stance weapons. Never needed to hold that button before, and doing so feels awkward. Argh.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is the combat actually...faster? It doesn't feel any faster to me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know if this has been posted before, because I haven't looked, been too busy playing the game, but the immortal Sword Master bug/glitch totally works. Summon Sword Master, let him die, quit out of the game, go back in, resummon, boom, immortal NPC. Makes Dancer a breeze, although the fight still takes a long time. Be aware, however, that this is a glitch, and will get fixed on the next patch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

This game has

There's so many enemies, and we're in the parish, and the dragon learned how to look down the stairs, and also it's manus, and there are manuses everywhere and holy poo poo

Game good besides the overheating guys.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Staying under the boss's rear end was working so well until he decided to start using a charge attack that hits you if you're under him. :sigh:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Does having multiple copies of the same spell do anything anymore? I think I just wasted 2k souls.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Lothric Knights are loving murdering me. Maybe I shouldn't have started as deprived.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Your Computer posted:

This game has

Something wonderful.

BTW, have the roll breakpoints been worked out from the JP version already? I'm wondering just how much I want to armor up at this point.

nachos posted:

Lothric Knights are loving murdering me. Maybe I shouldn't have started as deprived.

Deprived is so perfectly thematic to the game, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, where's the Orange Soapstone? I was expecting to find it by now and I'm starting to feel foolish.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Okay, where's the Orange Soapstone? I was expecting to find it by now and I'm starting to feel foolish.

The select button.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Oxxidation posted:

press start

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

Is the combat actually...faster? It doesn't feel any faster to me.

yes very much so.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How I'm able to swing a sword without beheading myself I will never know.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I've never done a Souls game on PC before, should I configure+ hook up my PS3 controller or is it okay with keyboard/mouse?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Roll iframes seem a little wonky, at least compared to previous games. Just when I think I've got the feel for it again, I get plowed in the middle of a roll. This one doesn't have some dumb stat like 2 that I'm supposed to be putting points in to get a normal roll, right?

edit:

chunkles posted:

I've never done a Souls game on PC before, should I hook up my PS3 controller or is it okay with keyboard/mouse?

Most people will tell you to use a gamepad, but KB+M is the way I've always played Souls games, all the way through. It's perfectly viable, so just go with whatever you feel better on. And on this one KB+M actually works out of the box with no external fiddling required, unlike previous games.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 12, 2016

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Darke GBF posted:

Game was fine for a half hour, then returning to firelink started crashing me. Updated drivers to the latest release, and now it slideshows on startup and then crashes.

Ah well.

I had the game run fine for the first hour and a half or so, then at the second bonfire at the Wall it started crashing at random, sometimes after kills, sometimes just when it felt like it. I managed to get in over 2 hours of playtime as I tried to various things to get it to keep working so I wonder if Steam will refund me if they don't fix it in the next few days? Sure hope so. I think I've got a pretty good computer, at least, so I don't think it's on my end.

(Edit) Though a refund might not be a good idea if the PS4 version turns out to be crashy as well. Hope not, it'd be nice to play this game without fear of it crashing soon.

Jack Van Burace fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 12, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ayyyy there he is! The Furtive Pygmy himself!!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Game good besides the overheating guys.

I'm worried about overheating too, for the first time since I got this computer. Both the GPU and CPU heat up so much I could probably cook a pizza inside of there :ohdear:

Not going to be able to afford upgrading anytime soon though, and I can't just not play Dark Souls III. If my PC melts through the floor, at least it did it while doing something good.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

So far, the evangelists are easily my favorite enemy. They're legit awesome/scary

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XboxPants posted:

ugggh

I stuck it out for the lizard, wasn't too bad overall - but unless that second form's weak to firebombs it's gonna be real rough. This roll feels so sluggish somehow.

Also is it me or does the camera feel zoomed in further than DS1?

I managed to beat him by getting lucky combined with just beating him into a pulp with the club. If you get your entire stamina bar off on him then he actually will stagger letting you get a bunch more hits in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm lucky in that I haven't encountered any serious crashes or other issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if any overheating is due to the ridiculous abundance of smoke in the early areas. I built my computer with the intent of making it as cool as possible (without liquid cooling) and too much smoke still makes it wheeze.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

what a dumpster trash fail game. crashes on first fireplace every time

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
GODDAMNED MIMICS!

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm not having any techinical problems except for sometimes it stutters when it saves, but I sure am getting my dick kicked in by just about everything!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
For (i think) the first boss after you get to Firelink, the ice mace dog man, he seems scary at first, but he suffers from Sif Crotch Safe Zone syndrome. The only issue is when the camera goes apeshit when you're under him.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'm not having any technical problems aside from getting chumped constantly by the knights because I've apparently forgotten everything I've ever learned

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

nerdz posted:

So I summon two dudes to help me with a boss, but they can't seem to get through the fog wall? This happened twice, second time I beat the boss by myself.

I am having this issue too, phantoms disappear when I go through the fog wall or they just can't walk through it.
Note this has NEVER happened on the PS4 version. :psyduck:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

nachos posted:

Unless you can parry them on the regular (hahahaha good luck) or have the posse/stamina to stunlock them with a club or an axe, I figure the best way is to keep a medium distance and only start circling for a backstab when they overextend themselves. They'll otherwise protect themselves from your attempts with fast sweeps or shield bashes depending on which direction you're going for.

The greatshield ones can even anticipate the kick + riposte maneuver and bash you out of it accordingly. :saddowns: At least they've got those big huge Skill lunges that leave them open.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
started getting crashes in lothric, in one very specific area (right path from bonfire past the dogs) big picture mode claims my card is overheating which it has never done before and is stone cold :|

it's kinda bumming me out. time for bed anyways, game is great and loving harder than both ds1/2 combined. i barely got past the first boss on my 10th try and i was at a fraction of health left.

also used the cracked red eye orb i got as starting gift and invaded some clerics. game is good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

HnK416 posted:

GODDAMNED MIMICS!

The axe is a worthwhile prize though.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
are you not allowed to level up at the first bonfire? I went deprived because I wanted to build my levels up as I go in the game but this first boss is such a pain in the rear end during the second stage I might as well switch classes for now and do a level one run after I beat the game a few times and get used to this system of dodging.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

are you not allowed to level up at the first bonfire? I went deprived because I wanted to build my levels up as I go in the game but this first boss is such a pain in the rear end during the second stage I might as well switch classes for now and do a level one run after I beat the game a few times and get used to this system of dodging.

You don't level up at bonfires at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Desperate Character posted:

You level at Firelink ala Demon's Souls or Dark 2, but the first boss is perfectly beatable as a Deprived. Get close, dodge around his poo poo, and get whacks in.