Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Of all the hotdogs I've had Chicago had the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Don't tip their servers tho, those uppity pricks thinking they deserve money for providing services.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

It's regional, it's a big thing in Chicago that you don't put ketchup on a hot dog.

As a Chicago native, balls to that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everything in Chicago is wrong.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don't tip their servers tho, those uppity pricks thinking they deserve money for providing services.

Nah, I pay double if they spit in my food.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gavok posted:

Nah, I pay double if they spit in my food.

Good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah like Chicago's opinions on hot dogs should be respected
Or anything, really.

Their pizza is admittedly good, but it needs a different word because that's not loving pizza. At least California's abominations are still recognizably pizza that some perverted lunatic did horrible things to.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah like Chicago's opinions on hot dogs should be respected

Don't be foolish now, Chicago has the best hot dogs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I'll Make BSS Great Again.

Load it up with bad dudes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

That's only when written by Mark NOT MY SUPERMAN Waid.

Or Elliot S! Maggin, from whom Waid cribbed some of the stuff in Birthright, including Supes being vegetarian because he can literally see life force.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Don't be foolish now, Chicago has the best hot dogs

I don't get how in some parts of the US the thickness of milkshakes is something to brag about. That just makes it harder to drink. :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Speaking as a waiter, make sure you explain to them in no uncertain terms that tipping isn't loving optional, and should be at a bare minimum 15%, 18-20 is more standard.

We're both Canadian, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't get how in some parts of the US the thickness of milkshakes is something to brag about. That just makes it harder to drink. :(

The milkshakes are so thick--

I NEED YOUR HELP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

If they are too thin you're just drinking chocolate (or whatever flavor) milk with extra sugar. Also, some people like being challenged by their food.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

We're both Canadian, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Canada barely counts as "not America, " depending on what parts of Canada and America you guys are from/visiting there's a bigger culture shock going to a different state than going to and from Canada.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

The milkshakes are so thick--

I NEED YOUR HELP.

That's pretty thick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

That's pretty thick.

--you have to eat them with a spoon what am I doing in Africa?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've reached a point in my life where I'm listening to Journey unironically.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

I've reached a point in my life where I'm listening to Journey unironically.

There is no shame in that

...is what I tell myself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm sorry Lurdiak, but we will have to go our Separate Ways.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Journey is really good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Every time "Don't stop believing" comes up I have to text my friend and remind him that Journey sucks, just in case he forgot. I will do the same for you Lurdiak. Journey sucks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Better than REO Speedwagon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Agreed, but they're both pretty good.

Journey unironically rules though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boston had the best album (the first one), Toto were probably the best musicians, Foreigner had the best singer (Lou Gramm), but I think Journey had the best pop songs. They had the absolute worst video, though (the "Separate Ways" one where Jonathan Cain plays air keyboard).

I was into AOR for a while a few years ago but I can't remember exactly why. I think it's when I was trying to learn guitar and my interest waned when it became clear I would never be a proficient guitarist. If I was going to listen to an album from that genre, I'd listen to Pyromania by Def Leppard, but I've lost what taste I once had for it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

God that video is so awkward. Poor guys played a great song but they just had no idea what to do with themselves on camera.

Toto is amazing

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hold Toto responsible for a D&D poster claiming I have a thin penis.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Toto is amazing

Toto were a surprisingly hardcore band. In addition to their copious cocaine use (for which Bobby Kimball was arrested in 1981, when he tried to sell some to an undercover cop), one of their little idiosyncrasies was a game they would play on their tour bus. You started at the back of the bus, and did a shot. You then needed to finish an entire beer while running from the front of the bus and back, and do another. If you failed, you had to do it again. While the bus was driving. And you couldn't spill any.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Everything I know about Toto, true or false, is from the Yacht Rock series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everything I know about Toto is that they wrote the song Africa.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Everything I know about Toto is that they wrote the song Africa.

That song has the line "As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company" which infuriates me for some reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

God that video is so awkward. Poor guys played a great song but they just had no idea what to do with themselves on camera.

And apparently Steve Perry's girlfriend (Sherrie, the eponymous subject of his solo hit "Oh, Sherrie") was really horrible to the model in the video and spent all the time they weren't filming having terrible rows with Perry are generally exacerbating the unpleasantness of the experience for everyone.

quote:

Toto is amazing

I will tell you what Toto's problem was - Toto's problem was that they couldn't forge a distinct musical identity and stick to it. They played, arranged, wrote and produced songs for almost every major label record that came out of LA in the 1970s and 1980, and that meant they didn't have a "Toto sound" because so much of the "Toto sound" had become a hallmark so many other artists' records. On top of that, because they could play anything, they took it to mean that they should - that's why their second album couldn't capitalise on the success of "Hold the Line". It had three singles, each sung by a different singer and each in a different genre.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rock by and large is a very awful genre of music.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 12, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rock by and large is a very awful genre of music.

Rock is awesome. Comics about rock music are awesome too.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rock gets creamed by funky bass lines any day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Rock is awesome. Comics about rock music are awesome too.

Red Rocket 7 is awesome. Some kick rear end Mike Allred writing and art. A history of rock and roll with some science fiction added in too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Dire Straits album Brothers in Arms is extremely good, and the best/only way to listen to the title track is to play the entire album all the way through. This has been my dadrock opinion.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Was not expecting so much love for Journey. They've been one of my favourite bands since I was 2, so I know they kick rear end, but I was starting to think they kicked rear end in a way that only Canadians could perceive.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Chaos Hippy posted:

Was not expecting so much love for Journey. They've been one of my favourite bands since I was 2, so I know they kick rear end, but I was starting to think they kicked rear end in a way that only Canadians could perceive.

When it comes to music appreciation, I wouldn't hold us Canadians in such high esteem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

When it comes to music appreciation, I wouldn't hold us Canadians in such high esteem.

We aren't worse at music, we just understand how to weaponize it better.

You're welcome, Amerikkka :smug::hf::canada:

• Locked thread