Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

I love that :pgabz: is responsible for a $110M video game company changing the way they release their grotesque mockeries of "alpha builds" into the 'verse.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Variable 5 posted:

Doesn't it take months/years for this kind of investigation to do anything?

This. Brown sea posters will defend this sinking ship to the floor of the ocean. Expect a gofundme page to be set up for CR about twenty minutes after the first press release regarding financial impropriety.

then they can play subnautica with us :3

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

BadOptics posted:

So in other words Derek is still reading through the part of the thread where everyone talked about this stuff (4-6 months ago). I want to see CIG burn like everyone else, but lol at any of this being ELE/new material.

Edit: I'm an American but I remember Brit goons talking about how you do not want to gently caress with the UK tax collectors, so all this does is verify an already well known fact that Roberts and co are dumb as gently caress about everything including money.

Yeah, HMRC are like jackbooted thugs when it comes to people trying to be skeezy with tax stuff, and with all the poo poo that's going down in public and parliament right now with even the PM being accused of financial shadiness, now is a bad time to have been scummy with your finances. If the HMRC feels you've been fiddling poo poo, they will send everything at you and make it impossible for those at the top to sell anything more important than copies of The Big Issue..

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm getting this right now:

https://twitter.com/space_sim_guy/status/719913554690879489

I found the best answer possible; ask them "fidelity to what"?

To Chris Roberts of course.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can our goony tentacles reach F42 and verify the FCA thing? I'm sure we can get one of our guys in but it would be best if we had an agent already embedded.

They wouldn't, or shouldn't, for the same reason newspapers don't say someone was arrested until charges are filed, it's always "in police custody."

You don't see the cops knocking on someone's door and report they got arrested - maybe the cops just found their stolen bike. But you do watch and wait for that perpwalk.

This is the same sort of thing. Chances are pretty good some suits knocked on Chris's airlock door, but until they bust out the worst kind of electricity it would be dumb as poo poo to announce a Stimpening.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can our goony tentacles reach F42 and verify the FCA thing? I'm sure we can get one of our guys in but it would be best if we had an agent already embedded.

We could keep an eye on the London commercial court listings. If the FCA do make a move against CIG, their first step would be to apply there for injunctions. Those would be public hearings.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

but its a bad post just fyi. If any of those things happened it would be loving hilarious.

Yes. But it would not necessarily be the end. Derek didn't promise us something funny, he promised us that something (a singular event) was coming that would cause the destruction of CIG.

Visits by a governmental tax enforcer are a nail in the coffin, they're not the heart attack that put you there. They're the government -- they just want their money, and that's easier if you're still able to pay them by being alive and not locked up.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

was the blog boring again?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Kimsemus posted:

I have been furiously F5ing waiting for your megapost. I am no-joke excited to read it because you got angry enough about it to to a Dsmart warning about dropping it last night. :protarget:

Ha- I wasn't angry at all! When I said last I was writing furiously it was more because my own topic had really seized me by the collar and started dragging me along! It's actually not directly related to the ELE, so the timing is just coincidental. I did read Derek's post and laughed at much of it (the mustache twirling just always cracks me up)-- and the audit reveal at the end definitely seemed like a new development.

I'm working on it now-- but it's trickier than stuff like the Star Marine timeline. Some things are research slogs-- this one is more thinktank-y kind of stuff...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Variable 5 posted:

Yes. But it would not necessarily be the end. Derek didn't promise us something funny, he promised us that something (a singular event) was coming that would cause the destruction of CIG.

Visits by a governmental tax enforcer are a nail in the coffin, they're not the heart attack that put you there. They're the government -- they just want their money, and that's easier if you're still able to pay them by being alive and not locked up.

The FCA stuff is 3 DEFCONS out of 5, make of that what you will.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Google Butt posted:

was the blog boring again?

Yes. Especially if you'd already read the link to Derek's forum that Eightace had given us where he said there was an investigation going on.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If Foundry 42 shuts down then CIG is hosed.

From a UK perspective, I think the books would have to be very bad before they'd be in serious trouble.

The FCA will be treading carefully, as it will be important not to embarrass the local MP.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Beecock this thread for Derek

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Variable 5 posted:

this is a company that gets 100% of its profits through crowdfunding. If the FCA runs a public investigation there is absolutely no chance of survival. none.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

lol

from the Dsmart blog

Hey Derek when this is over I'm gonna want a cut of the profits.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
It might not be the nuclear news a bunch of people were expecting, but I think it's a little silly to pretend like an FCA investigation means nothing. At the end of the day, CIG is going to go down because of mismanagement of funds, in some capacity.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'll ask Disco Lando.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Loxbourne posted:

We could keep an eye on the London commercial court listings. If the FCA do make a move against CIG, their first step would be to apply there for injunctions. Those would be public hearings.

Can the FCA ask F42 to provide accounting to show that the funds raised have been used for the sole purpose of developing the game, without them having started an actual investigation? Or would they need to go through the courts first?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

skaboomizzy posted:

I love that :pgabz: is responsible for a $110M video game company changing the way they release their grotesque mockeries of "alpha builds" into the 'verse.

that has to be awesome. CR is so afraid of him that he has to hide the game! Because he has nothing to show and what he does show is a hot buggy mess and people are mean to him for it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Blender is one crazy piece of software. It's got a list of features that's beyond impressive and right past mind-boggling. Sculpting and modeling 3d models? Got you covered. Texture editing, UV unwrapping, raster graphics? Check! Rigging, skinning, animation, lighting, shaders, particle effects? Check, check and check! Blender's got you covered from concept to finished models - just make them look great and drop them straight into your game engine! Except you don't have to do that, 'cause it's got an in-built game engine too.

Except pretty much nobody uses it that way, you always end up using Blender for the things you can't do in some simpler software because the interface is so mind-fuckingly complex. Not that I'd want to scare anyone off it of course, it's one hell of a tool when you manage to understand some part of it. I'd like to see parts of it separated into more intuitive tools, but I could see how that would fuel some endless discussions over at the FOSS community

Yeah I just can't seem to remember anything I learn there. It's basically all hotkeys, but maybe I'm just stupid. I got a pretty solid UV workflow that goes a little something like this:

right-click model in object mode
hit tab for edit mode
alt-shift-right-click to select seams
ctrl-e and select "mark seams"
select "faces" button in lower-middle fuckoff tiny menu bar window
a to select all
u to bring up unwrap menu
select "unwrap"

pray it doesn't look hosed up
it probably looks hosed up
undo everything
try again.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Derek has a bad signal to noise ratio because he has a kind of neurosis about trying to be clear, but rather than being concise he over explains everything and provides a ton of context. This is characteristic of many of the great internet warlords, especially from the Usenet days. And it goes with assuming your target reader is either uninformed or an idiot - both fair bets with the general readers but not with goons or redditors who are already committed. That's okay, he doesn't have to convince us and he won't convince them.

If you don't read this blog expecting bombshells it's a nice summary of the state of the paaarp. If you go into this looking for ELE level ordinance you're going to be disappointed. But if you stop scrutinizing the finger and look at the procedurally generated moon it's pointing to, you can get a glimpse of the apocalypse Derek sees in his waking dreams.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loxbourne posted:

Yep. We don't know why they opened an investigation - there's been some unconfirmed speculation about non-payment of VAT - but it sounds like an investigation has been formally launched.

:jackbud:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loxbourne posted:

Yep. We don't know why they opened an investigation - there's been some unconfirmed speculation about non-payment of VAT - but it sounds like an investigation has been formally launched.

What evidence is there of this? Derek loosely mentioned rumors.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Has anyone checked CIG's public IPs across all their offices for a default credentialed security camera DVR or anything?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

I wonder if Jared is under suspicion because of all the horrible things he said about Sandi Gardiner in private messages.

Fucksakes Jared I thought we were exclusive :sigh:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Because connections to Gizmondo and a visit from government money people is perfectly normal game development.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You guys realize if the FCA does anything at all it's going to take a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time for anything to ever happen and by the time they finish a) the money will be dried up and b) the project will have already failed anyways because it's a god drat trainwreak

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
One thing you do not gently caress around with is VAT, they'll shut you down while they investigate and that could take months

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Paramemetic posted:

Derek has a bad signal to noise ratio because he has a kind of neurosis about trying to be clear, but rather than being concise he over explains everything and provides a ton of context. This is characteristic of many of the great internet warlords, especially from the Usenet days. And it goes with assuming your target reader is either uninformed or an idiot - both fair bets with the general readers but not with goons or redditors who are already committed. That's okay, he doesn't have to convince us and he won't convince them.

If you don't read this blog expecting bombshells it's a nice summary of the state of the paaarp. If you go into this looking for ELE level ordinance you're going to be disappointed. But if you stop scrutinizing the finger and look at the procedurally generated moon it's pointing to, you can get a glimpse of the apocalypse Derek sees in his waking dreams.

The cherry-picked photoshops and the pgabz videos really made the blog post anyway. The rest was just :parp:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

After my chat with Sandi CIG banned discussing customer service replies on their internal forums.

:crossarms:

problem solved I gues

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lol typical Derek, absolutely nothing concrete in his blog, just the possibility of something that might happen.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Variable 5 posted:

But, really, what's the worst that can happen?
-FCA shuts down the UK offices
-CIG pays out some money
-couple of fall guys serve time
-CR relocates to Hollywood, releases a lovely mocap video game with no gameplay
-CR blames it all on backers not donating enough money for them to pay their taxes

I guess my lovely analogy would be that if the existence of global warming was based solely on it being a winter with record highs. The ELE may or may not be happening, but this blog post is hardly anything new or groundbreaking.

:laffo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

flyboi posted:

You guys realize if the FCA does anything at all it's going to take a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time for anything to ever happen and by the time they finish a) the money will be dried up and b) the project will have already failed anyways because it's a god drat trainwreak

The loooong time though is at their leisure after they have pulled down the shutters, I know people this has happened to and the VAT guys turned up and they themselves pulled down the shutters and told everyone to go home :lol:

The guy it happened to was 'you can't do this!' about it and they basically said :getout:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Jared posted this with the comm-link yesterday btw

I think he probably wants a new job.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Atreiden posted:

Lol typical Derek, absolutely nothing concrete in his blog, just the possibility of something that might happen.

Clearly you don't understand E.L.E. development

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Polish Avenger posted:

Has anyone checked CIG's public IPs across all their offices for a default credentialed security camera DVR or anything?

Hahaha god that would be nuts.

IIRC they use TWC business cable in LA so it would just be some random external IP(s).

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

flyboi posted:

According to Loxbourne if it came to that it'll be dragged through the courts with public hearings and stuff, and the gaming press will probably have to report it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Variable 5 posted:

Sorry if I'm hoping for a bit more than "FCA might be investigating CIG!!11"

You weren't hoping for poo poo

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Toops posted:

What evidence is there of this? Derek loosely mentioned rumors.

Aye, as much as I love the D, this blogpost was again a rehash of everthing we know already.
The juicy parts are ' rumors" and "or false"

It was entertaining,but totally not worth the hype.
The first blog posts had numbers, facts, real evidence.

This is mostly conjecture. ( Its probably all true, but no eye openers for backers )

I want Derek to bring out tangible evidence the shitizens can't deny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Jared posted this with the comm-link yesterday btw

I think he probably wants a new job.

Was this posted before or after the Smart man posted the ele tweet because if it was after lol

• Locked thread