Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of fantasy films, who's excited about the upcoming Harry Potter Jnr prequel movie? No not Fantastic Beasts, the Harry Potter Jnr prequel by the people who did those lovely Troll films.
http://movieweb.com/movie/troll-the-rise-of-harry-potter-jr/

It turns out that the first Troll movie had a character called Harry Potter Jnr a full 15 years before JK Rowling's first Harry Potter book was published so they're lawyering up and going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Why don't they just do a shared universe Avengers-style with all the other Troll films and their (surviving) protagonists?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't both of the Ride Along movies do really well? And same with Straight Outta Compton? The movies and TV show for "Are We There Yet" were at least five years ago.

I didn't think he had anything to do with the Ride Along movies aside from starring on them, but apparently he has a producer credit on the second one. Straight Outta Compton is not exactly a movie that lends itself to franchise-building though.

I can't believe the Are We There Yet show was 2010 though, seems like just a couple years ago I was seeing the terrible commercials for that poo poo like constantly. And apparently Barbershop had a short lived TV series at some point? The more you know.

Parachute posted:

I don't give a poo poo, I saw Barbershop and Barbershop 2 in theaters and loved them both, and I will definitely see the third.

The first Barbershop was great, the second one I thought was garbage though and the less said about Beauty Shop is the better.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

Straight Outta Compton is not exactly a movie that lends itself to franchise-building though.

They could follow up with a movie about Death Row Records. Because while Dre and Ice Cube might've been reluctant to show themselves in a bad light I can't imagine that they would feel that about Suge Knight.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Alhazred posted:

They could follow up with a movie about Death Row Records. Because while Dre and Ice Cube might've been reluctant to show themselves in a bad light I can't imagine that they would feel that about Suge Knight.

You got me there, a movie about all the poo poo that went down in Death Row would be amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Len posted:

Checking the local drive in double feature for the weekend I discover that there's a Barbershop 3. I didn't think anyone still cared about that franchise.
I have a free ticket to see an advance screening of it tonight. Unless literally anything else comes up, I guess I'm going to see it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

raditts posted:

You got me there, a movie about all the poo poo that went down in Death Row would be amazing.

Dave Franco as Vanilla Ice being dangled over a hotel balcony.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of fantasy films, who's excited about the upcoming Harry Potter Jnr prequel movie? No not Fantastic Beasts, the Harry Potter Jnr prequel by the people who did those lovely Troll films.

It turns out that the first Troll movie had a character called Harry Potter Jnr a full 15 years before JK Rowling's first Harry Potter book was published so they're lawyering up and going for it.

Funny thing is some writer tried the same thing by saying that they had a Harry Potter in their book about "muggles" (which were like trolls or something) except they got greedy and it was found out that they had actually re-written a large chunk of the book after the fact.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember there being a huge number of copycat claims about Harry Potter when it started to really explode in popularity. Everything from some Russian author with an obviously bogus claim to people saying Rowling took from The Books of Magic.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

raditts posted:

I didn't think he had anything to do with the Ride Along movies aside from starring on them, but apparently he has a producer credit on the second one. Straight Outta Compton is not exactly a movie that lends itself to franchise-building though.
Ice Cube was a producer on the first Ride Along too, his production company was where it went through development.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

to people saying Rowling took from The Books of Magic.

I always found the people saying this to be especially silly. It was clear Gaiman and Rowling were working from a lot of the same templates that were pretty well established and worn by the time both of them got to writing their respective works.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Random Stranger posted:

I always found the people saying this to be especially silly. It was clear Gaiman and Rowling were working from a lot of the same templates that were pretty well established and worn by the time both of them got to writing their respective works.

Also, while I normally don't want to make assumptions about who and who doesn't read comics, somehow I don't see JK Rowing being the type of person to read them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

14 October 2016, to be exact.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Too bad, if they had just called it Beast Wars I would've been interested.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite was the people who announced they were going to be making new Evil Dead films, and said they had the rights because in the book "The Evil Dead Companion" Sam Raimi said he wasn't going to make any more films. So they just assumed that meant they were free to take the copyright.

Then they later cried foul since they couldn't afford attorneys after Sam came after them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

However frustrating it must be for Rowling to be accused of ripping off Books of Magic, imagine how annoying it his to be Gaiman and being accused of ripping off Harry Potter, when your book came out first.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New image from Nicholas Wending Refn's Neon Demon. Elle Fanning, already a human ghost in real life, is apparently playing a Cenobite.

I feel like I need to finish watching Drive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

And you haven't done this why?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

New image from Nicholas Wending Refn's Neon Demon. Elle Fanning, already a human ghost in real life, is apparently playing a Cenobite.

Wow, a Beyond the Black Rainbow sequel!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The return of the colorblind director who uses colors better than drat near anyone. Except maybe Tarsem Singh.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Troll sequels were not legal sequels to Troll - but this one is!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Random Stranger posted:

I seem to recall there was a period of time when Gaiman was addressing this and folks were accusing him of being bought out by WB in order to not make waves with the company.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Why did Marvel/Feige pick a director with as bad a track record as Scott Derrickson for Dr Strange?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Why did Marvel/Feige pick a director with as bad a track record as Scott Derrickson for Dr Strange?

His goatee game has always been on point which I guess would be the deciding factor for picking a Dr Strange director

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

His goatee game has always been on point which I guess would be the deciding factor for picking a Dr Strange director

"on point"

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
His "Walk Among the Tombstones" was one of the more amateurish, poorly directed movies I've seen in awhile. I don't know how you make an R-rated Liam Neeson vs serial killers movie lame, but he managed it

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bullet3 posted:

His "Walk Among the Tombstones" was one of the more amateurish, poorly directed movies I've seen in awhile. I don't know how you make an R-rated Liam Neeson vs serial killers movie lame, but he managed it

A Walk Among the Tombstones was good, though I'm not sure what Scott Derrickson had to do with it. It was directed by Scott Frank, who also made The Lookout.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bullet3 posted:

I'm going to have to disagree on that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember A Walk Among The Tombstones being pretty good too. :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It was, one thing it wasn't though is directed by the same person as Dr. Strange.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I imagine he was hired based on his experience on making films on exceptionally low budgets, rubbing shoulders with the right people, and basically willing to be anyone's bitch (coughKevin Feigecough).

How influential that last element was to his hiring will be key to how good this film is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty sure Kevin Feige just really really liked Hellraiser: Inferno, dude

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It was, maybe that poster was expecting another Taken.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hellraiser Inferno is the only good sequel past 2 that didn't make me angry. Hellraiser is legit the worst horror franchise of all time. 1 film is a masterpiece. One film is p good. One is decent. The rest is gently caress garbage poo poo.

Especially the one with Henry Cavill.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Hellraiser franchise is so bad that not even my massive love for Henry Cavill is going to make me check out the Hellraiser sequel with Henry Cavill.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't even Doug Bradley finally say gently caress this and peace out before the most recent sequel was made? I remember seeing a clip from it and they guy they got to replace him looks absurd in the makeup.

Davros1 posted:

My favorite was the people who announced they were going to be making new Evil Dead films, and said they had the rights because in the book "The Evil Dead Companion" Sam Raimi said he wasn't going to make any more films. So they just assumed that meant they were free to take the copyright.

Then they later cried foul since they couldn't afford attorneys after Sam came after them.

Please tell me there's an article or something about this, I'd love to read it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Corek posted:

"on point"

Homeboy's look is "history professor that makes freshmen's eyes bulge because he casually said 'gently caress' in a lecture"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow, a Beyond the Black Rainbow sequel!

I've been waiting so long.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Corek posted:

"on point"

Where else is a goatee gonna grow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

According to Sony's Cinemacon presentation, the Men In Black Jump Street movie is real and is titled MIB 23.

• Locked thread