Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dza posted:

I am a fat alcoholic looking to un-fat.I have quit drinking (Thursday will be 2 months) and I've acquired a power rack, a bench, and an olympic weight set. Now I suppose I have to start picking the heavy things up then putting them down.

I have terrible flexibility and my muscles are incredibly tight, especially around my hips/glutes. I've injured my self (hip flexors?) early into any squat-heavy programs I've tried in the past. Also, I can't overhead press (low roof) unless there's a sitting variant.

I'm 6'2" 250lbs (down from 270+) and I want to be all swole like you studs rather than just skinnyfat as this weight comes off.

Tell me what to do because I am a big dummy who can't think for himself.

Happy to hear you are looking to get fit again :D
IF you can afford a personal trainer for 2-3 sessions, or even one - that would probably go a very long way to help you do things right, bad form = injuries, and it aint that easy to do right without someone spotting you. Sitting overhead press is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dza posted:

I am a fat alcoholic looking to un-fat.I have quit drinking (Thursday will be 2 months) and I've acquired a power rack, a bench, and an olympic weight set. Now I suppose I have to start picking the heavy things up then putting them down.

I have terrible flexibility and my muscles are incredibly tight, especially around my hips/glutes. I've injured my self (hip flexors?) early into any squat-heavy programs I've tried in the past. Also, I can't overhead press (low roof) unless there's a sitting variant.

I'm 6'2" 250lbs (down from 270+) and I want to be all swole like you studs rather than just skinnyfat as this weight comes off.

Tell me what to do because I am a big dummy who can't think for himself.

Why dont you go sign up for yoga or something to unbunch your muscles.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You need to find someone to teach you how to lift.

What city are you near/in?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Teach yourself lifting its really easy.

Flexibility comes by being active and doing a bit of stretching now and then.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Thanks all.

The most important thing seems to be getting started, so I will do that today. Bar-only type stuff until I know I'm doing things correctly. I think I rushed into heavier weights all past attempts.

Someone to help me as I'm starting out sounds good. I wonder how to find someone I can trust to be good? I'm in Regina, SK Canada. I suppose I can just do it solo as well, and use the form check thread, etc.

Also, I know a yoga instructor so I will bug her about helping get me more flexible.

Edit: work benefits cover massage so I'll go have someone tenderize me too.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

sassassin posted:

Teach yourself lifting its really easy.

Flexibility comes by being active and doing a bit of stretching now and then.

I strongly dissagree, it's extremely easy to make bad mistakes that could cause injury to your body. Having someone to correct you is invaluable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're really worried video yourself doing a lift and watch it back, don't pay some chucklefuck to teach you how to do things babies can do perfectly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like Hairdresser, Personal Trainer is a job any idiot can do that the general public has convinced itself is a professional qualification requiring some level of expertise.

You can do both yourself with a mirror and a little common sense.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

sassassin posted:

If you're really worried video yourself doing a lift and watch it back, don't pay some chucklefuck to teach you how to do things babies can do perfectly.

Pssshaw, I have to keep yelling at my 5 month old that he's taking too narrow of a stance doing bw squats.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Check out strengtheory.com's guide to squatting. It's huge but perfect for a beginner. Also don't try to make every lift perfect in the beginning. Practice your form and use mirrors and form checks if you think something is wrong but you don't want to be the guy who can't squat 155lbs because he's let his brain get in the way of his physical progression.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It's easy to learn on your own and yet goons gently caress it up all the time.

Uxzuigal posted:

I strongly dissagree, it's extremely easy to make bad mistakes that could cause injury to your body. Having someone to correct you is invaluable.

How can you say this and recommend he get some random personal trainer.

Try going to one of these gyms, Dza. http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/index.php?id=9 I can't stress how much it helps going to a gym where people actually care about lifting. Figure out who's in charge and tell them you're new and don't want to gently caress yourself up, and they should be able to direct you to someone who can help. Or just find the biggest dude that doesn't act like a piece of poo poo. Most of them are usually nice.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I find it funny that technology has developed to the point where the common man doesn't know how to squat anymore, it's the most natural position for the human animal to rest in.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

I find it funny that technology has developed to the point where the common man doesn't know how to squat anymore, it's the most natural position for the human animal to rest in.

I was watching some klokov video where he's talking about being comfortable in the bottom of the snatch position and is saying "you know, how you sit when you with friends and drink beer and smoke" and then I understood why I'll never lift like a russian. *leans back in computer chair*

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Thank you Mr Cumpster. I didn't even think to look at that site, since last I did (years ago) it was way out of date and every listed gym was closed. Mettle looks cool and I'm gunna go there today and check it out. http://mettleperformance.ca/

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Hope it goes well. Good luck, man.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about never, I have been squatting regularly for about 1 years now and it's starting to feel pretty natural, I've gotten to the point where bending my back to reach down feels wrong on an unconscious level.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

notZaar posted:

It's pretty absurd to think that our modern lives have become so free of toil and exertion that we have to invent devices and dedicate time to mimicking the hunting behaviors of our primitive ancestors.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I've switched to wearing really long socks (think volleyball socks) nearly all the time, and I gotta tell ya I really enjoy it.

they're like pushup bras for calves

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

I dunno about never, I have been squatting regularly for about 1 years now and it's starting to feel pretty natural, I've gotten to the point where bending my back to reach down feels wrong on an unconscious level.

Are you in this position casually giving a lecture?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

It's pretty absurd to think that our modern lives have become so free of toil and exertion that we have to invent devices and dedicate time to mimicking the hunting behaviors of our primitive ancestors.

That's just the nature of.civilization. we specialize so not everyone has to hunt, but our physiologies don't know that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Are you in this position casually giving a lecture?

Are you kidding me? Look at his feet and knees, he might as well be shredding his meniscusii with a rotary saw.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

MNIMWA posted:

I've switched to wearing really long socks (think volleyball socks) nearly all the time, and I gotta tell ya I really enjoy it.

they're like pushup bras for calves

I've been doing this for years, there's just something that feels really comfy about it.

Looks like I'm going to be taking the position of personal trainer for a friend who wants to learn to lift as she can't do much cardio due to injury, I'm not sure about this to be honest I'm hardly the picture of health and fitness.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gotta go at least another five hours without eating, send your positive vibes my way goons. :negative:

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's easy to learn on your own and yet goons gently caress it up all the time.

How can you say this and recommend he get some random personal trainer.

Try going to one of these gyms, Dza. http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/index.php?id=9 I can't stress how much it helps going to a gym where people actually care about lifting. Figure out who's in charge and tell them you're new and don't want to gently caress yourself up, and they should be able to direct you to someone who can help. Or just find the biggest dude that doesn't act like a piece of poo poo. Most of them are usually nice.

Sorry, I tend to forget that there are some god awful loving poo poo trainers about. Im lucky enough to have some solid guys who lift serious around me. Also, not sure what the requierment to become a personal trainer is in the US. Here it involves quite abit of work.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Re: being super stiff - stretching is actually pretty important and people don't do it enough. Even just having one stretch day a week probably isn't enough. Watch some videos on stretching, then stretch a little bit before you work out every time (squatting? Stretch your legs! Lifting? Stretch your chest/arms!)

Re: trainers - yeah, it's easy to get a job as a trainer at any lovely gym, it's easy to be a lovely meathead that just tells people what to lift. Once you've worked with an actual, good trainer - someone who explains the movements, who tells you what's happening to the muscles, why you're doing what you're doing, what things to pair it with, and actually corrects you when you're doing things wrong - it's a whole different experience.

Edit:

Uxzuigal posted:

Sorry, I tend to forget that there are some god awful loving poo poo trainers about. Im lucky enough to have some solid guys who lift serious around me. Also, not sure what the requierment to become a personal trainer is in the US. Here it involves quite abit of work.

There are certifications you can and should get, but it can also be as easy as "be a big guy and interview at a gym". Which, as you can imagine, doesn't always guarantee you get someone who knows how to TEACH, which is what a good trainer will do.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Re: being super stiff - stretching is actually pretty important and people don't do it enough. Even just having one stretch day a week probably isn't enough. Watch some videos on stretching, then stretch a little bit before you work out every time (squatting? Stretch your legs! Lifting? Stretch your chest/arms!)

Re: trainers - yeah, it's easy to get a job as a trainer at any lovely gym, it's easy to be a lovely meathead that just tells people what to lift. Once you've worked with an actual, good trainer - someone who explains the movements, who tells you what's happening to the muscles, why you're doing what you're doing, what things to pair it with, and actually corrects you when you're doing things wrong - it's a whole different experience.

Edit:

There are certifications you can and should get, but it can also be as easy as "be a big guy and interview at a gym". Which, as you can imagine, doesn't always guarantee you get someone who knows how to TEACH, which is what a good trainer will do.

Mm yeah, seen a few of those. Also- actualy identifying what works on different people is a huge part. poo poo that works on a Mr.Hulk Natural Talent #GeneticExperiment33 from Russia, probably doesn't work on a guy who's been sitting in front of his computer for 30 years...
I dont think there is much that is more damaging than some idiot trying to push on you super massive weights when you cant even lift half of it "just to test". And in BAD form.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, a good trainer is like a good hairdresser (if you have longer hair) - you find a good one, you stick with them. I've followed mine after he was scouted by a more expensive gym, still don't regret it. It's one of the few reasons why I'm sad I'll be moving soon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

notZaar posted:

Are you kidding me? Look at his feet and knees, he might as well be shredding his meniscusii with a rotary saw.

Lol implying klokov has tendons or meniscus left.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

It's pathetic. Probably more work to find a certification that isn't garbage than to become a personal trainer.

notZaar posted:

Only little girl need meniscus

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, a good trainer is like a good hairdresser (if you have longer hair) - you find a good one, you stick with them. I've followed mine after he was scouted by a more expensive gym, still don't regret it. It's one of the few reasons why I'm sad I'll be moving soon.

He's ripping you off, bro.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

He's ripping you off, bro.

:allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm the exact same size as you and lift way, way more doing way, way less.

Dudes as short as us have no excuse not to bench 100kg. But keep supersetting clapping pushups and curling an empty bar if your trainer says so.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Saw some massive guys in the gym today using chains on their bench press and now I want to do dumb funky workouts and make a huge scene + noise

What can you guys recommend

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MNIMWA posted:

Saw some massive guys in the gym today using chains on their bench press and now I want to do dumb funky workouts and make a huge scene + noise

Copy the big dudes.

Alternatively olympic lifts make a poo poo ton of noise

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
as a 260 pound fatty, I'm significantly more flexible than my 160 pound high school self because of all the stretching.

I'm down to 250 please congratulate me I would appreciate the positive reinforcement thank you.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
You're doing great!

MNIMWA posted:

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQaldUbOMI&t=59s

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 12, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm the woman grabbing some rear end in the background

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I got long arms. Is this why my BP sucks?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Longer arms means you have bigger triceps, no excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

I'm the exact same size as you and lift way, way more doing way, way less.

Dudes as short as us have no excuse not to bench 100kg. But keep supersetting clapping pushups and curling an empty bar if your trainer says so.
:allears:

Renegret posted:

as a 260 pound fatty, I'm significantly more flexible than my 160 pound high school self because of all the stretching.

I'm down to 250 please congratulate me I would appreciate the positive reinforcement thank you.

Keep it up. You're going to have wonderful calves!

• Locked thread