Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ristolaz posted:

(Terminator voice but Brazillian accent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I've played 160 ranked games so far this season and have only had 2 or 3 games where I was the 1 in a 1+4. The only one of those that was a bad experience was the one where I was playing jungle and my teammates weren't following up on my ganks or initiations; the others I played top lane and let the 4-stack make the majority of the plays and it didn't really feel any different from a solo queue game. I can deal with this every so often if it's the price of having the entire playerbase in one queue.

Also, the level of toxicity in my ranked games is wayyyy down from previous seasons but that's probably more attributable to new champ select than dynamic queue

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

AHH FUGH posted:

I just bought K-9 Nasus

Is this only on JP server or is it available on every server? I thought you couldn't buy that one anymore

IIRC, the Riot skins were supposed to only supposed to be collected from riot events, or for purchase during "special events" for a very limited time.
The last time K-9 was on sale was 2012, according to the wiki.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Poulpe posted:

IIRC, the Riot skins were supposed to only supposed to be collected from riot events, or for purchase during "special events" for a very limited time.
The last time K-9 was on sale was 2012, according to the wiki.

I got K-9 in my 2nd hextech chesterino, so that works.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I wonder how much my account with riot graves is worth.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Spiros posted:

I didn't think many old skins had value since they've un vaulted a lot of poo poo over the years. I have a ton of old skins.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

my king rammus and black alistar are probably worth something

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Radical posted:

my king rammus and black alistar are probably worth something

And UFO Corki!
Bonus points if you've got any of the PAX skins. :yum:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Poulpe posted:

And UFO Corki!
Bonus points if you've got any of the PAX skins. :yum:

I went poking through my collection and looked up some lists and didn't realize how much rare poo poo I apparently have.

King Rammus
Silver Kayle
Championship Riven
Championship Thresh
Riot Blitzcrank
Riot Graves
Riot K-9 Nasus
Riot Singed
Riot Kayle
PAX Sivir
Vancouver Amumu (Apparently rare?)

I'm pretty sure my account is from 2009 and the beta so I'm not sure why I don't have UFO Corki but I don't.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I think PAX TF and championship riven are the two most sought after rare skins

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Radical posted:

riot's problem is that the community picked up on how the dynamic queue is bad for the competitive environment from pro players who are complaining about their matchmaking issues. the average person playing this game thinks the reasoning should extend to their silver III games (it doesn't) when in reality just making master+ solo/duo fixes all the problems right there. The pro players will stop complaining and the rest of the player base will deal with it/forget about the problem.

I agree mostly. The dynamic queue problems don't exist (or at least don't exist to anywhere the same degree) for the vast majority of ranked players. If you're a pure solo player that's not ~high diamond or above, the only real long-term issue you'll see is probably that you'll climb a little bit slower than you would have before. The flip side of that is that if you regularly play with friends who are as good or better than you, you'll probably climb faster than before.

However, the unintended consequence of leaving the problem alone completely is that the competitive scene gets worse, popular streamers play less or stop playing altogether, and interest in the game wanes as a result. Ignoring the top 1% of players works for a game like WoW because few people (comparatively) watch high end raiding or PVP, and WoW e-sports is a joke that nobody cares about. Very little of the popularity of the game comes from that community, and thus catering to people who don't have as much time to sink into an MMO is the smart choice. For League though, the competitive scene and streaming community is way more influential and popular and is a massive part of drawing people into the game.

I enjoy playing ranked dynamic queue, but the real problem for me is how Riot handled the situation and probably lied about their intent to add solo queue back to the game. It's really unlikely that they genuinely intended on putting effort into putting solo queue back in when dynamic queue can't work without solo players queuing into it.

Your solution about master+ (or I think like Diamond 2+ would be better) being solo/duo might work. Also, Meteos suggested getting an LP bonus the fewer people you have in your queue (most LP if you're solo, least LP if you're in a 5-man).

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Aerox posted:

I went poking through my collection and looked up some lists and didn't realize how much rare poo poo I apparently have.

I'm pretty sure my account is from 2009 and the beta so I'm not sure why I don't have UFO Corki but I don't.

If you have King Rammus you must have UFO Corki.
They're both "If your account exists before X date you get this skin!" skins, and King Rammus came before UFO corki. If not, open a support ticket maybe? :shrug: You absolutely should have it.

Rurea posted:

Yeah, PAX TF was only available one year when Riot was still a baby start-up and their showing at PAX was tiny.
My buddy got two way back when and gave the spare to his brother :argh:

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Rurea posted:

My friend paid $25 for pax sivir a year or so ago, which if nothing else shows HD spends his money in dumb ways.

Is it still possible to get medieval twitch? I thought that was the most rare? From a "how many people have it" perspective, not how sought after it is.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Poulpe posted:

They're both "If your account exists before X date you get this skin!" skins, and King Rammus came before UFO corki. If not, open a support ticket maybe? :shrug: You absolutely should have it.

Yeah, PAX TF was only available one year when Riot was still a baby start-up and their showing at PAX was tiny.
My buddy got two way back when and gave the spare to his brother :argh:

Hmm. I just checked and I definitely don't have UFO Corki. I'll shoot support a message tonight I guess.

I was at PAX in both 09 and 10 but didn't care enough about League to visit their booth at the time :(

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
medievil twitch isn't to hard to get, you only need 5 referrals instead of 50 which is what it used to be at when i got it

in terms of rare skins, the only ones with any value over the others are the PAX skins, Championship Riven, UFO Corki, King Rammus, and any of the Collector's Edition/Digital Deluxe Edition skins from back when you had to pay for league

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I have no idea how Championship Riven is so rare, given that it's something you could buy from the store and was clearly marketed as a limited-availability skin for what was at the time a very popular champion.

poo poo, I bought it for those reasons and I despise playing her.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Poulpe posted:

Not true. You were required to have logged in and played during both the beta period and the period UFO Corki was distributed. I had a beta account that I only ever did the tutorial map on (I still played a lot of WC3 dota and HoN at the time) and as such do not have King Rammus (I never played a beta match against actual people). Similarly, when UFO Corki was being distributed you actually had to log on and play matches against people or you didn't get it.

There's a good chance he just didn't log on for the like one week period the skin was being handed out.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Not true. You were required to have logged in and played during both the beta period and the period UFO Corki was distributed. I had a beta account that I only ever did the tutorial map on (I still played a lot of WC3 dota and HoN at the time) and as such do not have King Rammus (I never played a beta match against actual people). Similarly, when UFO Corki was being distributed you actually had to log on and play matches against people or you didn't get it.

There's a good chance he just didn't log on for the like one week period the skin was being handed out.

Oh, that would explain it -- I played very little in Season One because I didn't understand MOBAs and thought the game was super frustrating.

I already submitted a support ticket though, so I'll see what they say. No big deal if I don't get it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Speccing goons is the best.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Alris posted:

I have no idea how Championship Riven is so rare, given that it's something you could buy from the store and was clearly marketed as a limited-availability skin for what was at the time a very popular champion.

poo poo, I bought it for those reasons and I despise playing her.

Wasn't that in season 2? We're 4 seasons past that so the percentage of the playerbase that could have possibly bought that skin (let alone how many actually did) has shrunk by a hell of a lot since then

I started in season 3 and I probably would have bought that skin if it was on sale during my riven phase

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ristolaz posted:

(Terminator voice but Brazillian accent)

Hahaha.

Aerox posted:

King Rammus
Silver Kayle
Championship Riven
Championship Thresh
Riot Blitzcrank
Riot Graves
Riot K-9 Nasus
Riot Singed
Riot Kayle
PAX Sivir
Vancouver Amumu (Apparently rare?)

I really want that Silver Kayle.

Spiros posted:

I don't think any account in this game is worth much. There's no one paying 1000-5000 bucks like people did for WoW vanilla mounts/warglaives or 10000 bucks for Tibia accounts. I think a really well decked account like mine or Aerox goes for $300, $400 at most. A quick google shows that accounts with Black Alistar go for $250 usually, and that is a very rare and valuable skin.

Accounts went down super hard in price once companies started to tie up things really close to the original e-mail and name of the account owners and people realized there was no way to ever really guarantee ownership over an account someone else started. This and the fact way more than half the people both buying and selling accounts are scammers.

foutre posted:

Oof, I've been getting to experience this. I'm playing mid in my school's mini-LCS tourney, and out of the 8 teams 3 of the other mids are Masters/Challenger now or in S5. Over the last ~6 months of playing versus them I've actually gotten a good bit better at surviving lane. In the first few months I would generally get solo-killed mid at least once a game, from overstaying or going out of position, but that happens very rarely now. Instead, my problem is that I've been so conditioned to playing incredibly safely that even when I get first blood on one of them (only in like 2 out of the last 8 game) I have trouble pushing my advantage and often end up getting out-farmed and out-roamed anyway.

At a certain point, they just are just strictly better than I am and that's some of it, but I think the skill that most differentiates them from the other Plat/low Diamond mid laners is how efficient they are with their backs and roams. Even if I put even pressure on the map, they seem to find better timings for everything and inevitably end up 3 or 4 waves ahead at 20 minutes. Just watching how replays to see them manage waves/pressure is really illuminating.

It's frustrating in game but definitely has been a great way to improve, 10/10 would get wrecked again.

If anything I'm impressed your school has 3 different people in Master+. That must feel odd.

As for how you deal with playing overly passive, at some point you need to actively let go what you learned on how to play defensively and start from scratch in how to play aggressively. Once you're able to say "Fine, I can survive" you pretty much just go and try to hit your enemy like there's no tomorrow. What sucks is that this game has super long matches and you'll be outplayed, feed and probably lose the game in 2-5 minutes, but you have to do it anyway.

That's why I said, if you're reasonably seasoned in the game and can get the opportunity to get wrecked, embrace it. I think I learned more in a weekend of sparring and losing against Mewnfare (who was at the time the #1 Feral in WoW) than in months playing against 2300-2400 Elo teams.

slydingdoor posted:

I find watching the replay over and over again can be not only good for self improvement but also fun when you can make highlight reels out of them. Bonus points if you're in voice chat.

Show some. :v:

But yeah, I learn a lot watching myself play. Even in my "highlight reels" there are plenty of mistakes that only really seem obvious after watching the replay.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 12, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i also dont have ufo rider corki but do have king rammus.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Riot Blitzcrank is the only good Riot skin.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Radical posted:

riot's problem is that the community picked up on how the dynamic queue is bad for the competitive environment from pro players who are complaining about their matchmaking issues. the average person playing this game thinks the reasoning should extend to their silver III games (it doesn't) when in reality just making master+ solo/duo fixes all the problems right there. The pro players will stop complaining and the rest of the player base will deal with it/forget about the problem.

*long inhale from vape* agreed

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
A friend of mine has PAX TF, King Rammus, and a bunch of other poo poo

The highlight of his life was queue sniping Doublelift + Afro with the TF skin

The lowlight was Doublelift calling him "retarded" on stream

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
uhhhhh you have highlight and lowlight mixed up

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

kingcobweb posted:

A friend of mine has PAX TF, King Rammus, and a bunch of other poo poo

The highlight of his life was queue sniping Doublelift + Afro with the TF skin

The lowlight was Doublelift calling him "retarded" on stream

That would be awesome to see.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
[12:33AM] RIP TEEMO: lmfao just had another chinese dog riven say some stupid bullshit in chinese and then rage quit the game. gotta love these loving moron chinks in platinum

[12:33AM] RIP TEEMO: lmfao just had another chinese dog riven say some stupid bullshit in chinese and then rage quit the game. gotta love these loving moron chinks in platinum

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the real chinese players are all on oce spamming sb (stupid oval office) at white kids

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

the real chinese players are all on oce spamming sb (stupid oval office) at white kids

Oh that's what that means.

Got any other useful translations for poo poo people on OCE are writing at me?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I mean teemo's not wrong, even if his language might be a bit off

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
note to self: nidalee whisperers that take ignite in top lane are very scary as graves. do not engage

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Had my internet go out during a game last night so I got slapped with a leaverbuster punishment, which means I lost my last game of promos and get 5 games of normals where I have to wait 20 minutes before the game actually queues me

gently caress off lyte this isn't a "Low Priority Queue" this is just a timer before you queue me into a regular game if you're going to come up with a retarded loving punishment at least name it right

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Luna Was Here posted:

Had my internet go out during a game last night so I got slapped with a leaverbuster punishment, which means I lost my last game of promos and get 5 games of normals where I have to wait 20 minutes before the game actually queues me

gently caress off lyte this isn't a "Low Priority Queue" this is just a timer before you queue me into a regular game if you're going to come up with a retarded loving punishment at least name it right

https://twitter.com/RiotLyte/status/710091293129625600

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gridlocked posted:

Oh that's what that means.

Got any other useful translations for poo poo people on OCE are writing at me?

it all translates to "camp my lane" and "I get off to mastery emote spam when I die"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

it all translates to "camp my lane" and "I get off to mastery emote spam when I die"

Mastery Emote spam is THE thing in OCE normal ATM. US wishes it could Ctrl+5 like OCE players.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
how to: Acquire your first Penta

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

https://twitter.com/RiotLyte/status/672087248330821632

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
please stop your going to trygger my Lyteism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Luna please teach me how to manically laugh like a Saturday morning cartoon villain like you do.

• Locked thread