Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Wow it's colder than the 2011 Road America Chumpcar race. The Corvette I have borrowed from GM is on summer tires. Not sure how well that's going to work on tomorrow's track day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drgitlin posted:

Wow it's colder than the 2011 Road America Chumpcar race. The Corvette I have borrowed from GM is on summer tires. Not sure how well that's going to work on tomorrow's track day!

Anyone bring snow tires this time? Good luck and stay warm.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone bring snow tires this time? Good luck and stay warm.

We might actually have to buy a set of cheap all seasons for tomorrow. The Golf is a little bit more manageable than the Corvette today; can't give it any gas in the corners or it wants to find the Armco! Faster on a straight line though :D

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You thought I was joking about snow tires...

Kind of glad we decided to sit this one one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah we're not racing today. The plan is still to go out tomorrow though!

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
In 2008 we went to Nürburgring for a race.

The snow melted and the race went on in temperatures a few degree abve freezing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The all seasons were probably a mistake this morning. The team that beat us in GP3 was about three laps ahead at the end, and we probably lost at least six or eight minutes between having to change tires at the first stop and having garbage chinese tires (they would totally have helped if we'd have run yesterday though).

My driving was OK but I didn't push the car hard enough (I'm rusty as hell after not racing for a couple of years) but the team did great, Mid Ohio is a blast (even with this weather) and as ever Joey and the WRL put on an amazing event.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I misplaced a wheel on track yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYjujhW27Q

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

the poi posted:

Lol dude, at least you had a good attitude about it! The side view is hilarious, the tire just leaves.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
American Muscle? I can't find weights on them anywhere.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

American Muscle? I can't find weights on them anywhere.

Forgestar F14, 17x10 +55

17.75lb

Wrar fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 11, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm good @ Google.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hahaha awesome response. Is it just me or shouldn't a set of wheels take more than 14 track days to start seeing that kind of fatigue?

I installed a set of speed bleeders on my e30 yesterday and they are amazing. Took less than ten minutes to bleed all of my brakes with them and my motive power bleeder and no assistant required.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think it depends primarily on (ab)use and metalworking technology.

I can't remember where "rotary forged" lies on the Hot Or Not table of forging tech. But if you drive on tracks with aggressive curbing and you're frequently bouncing off of them, that is a significant factor in wheel life. I also like how the poi is literally the only resource on using this particular wheel on track. :v:

I think Emilio has 17x10s for you. They're 18lbs, too.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

I think Emilio has 17x10s for you. They're 18lbs, too.

They're just so ugly though :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You guys ran great this weekend, congrats on the second place with the iffy weather. I was watching race monitor throughout the day and happy to see a strong showing from the Midwest teams we usually run with.

the poi posted:

That's a little scary but you have the right attitude about it. I'll be adding those to the list of wheels to not consider. We've been running the same Kosei K1's since we started running the car and haven't seen any failures or even cracks yet. We're not super hard on them but none of us shy away from running in the curbing and several of the wheels have paint or rubber transfer from contact.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

the poi posted:

That is awesome. I lost a rear wheel at BIR a few years ago and wasn't quite as excited but I had to wait for the gopro footage to watch it go rolling by as the car span. :D

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

the poi posted:

That point-by pass tho, I lost it. :haw:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

the poi posted:

Fun video fo sho. But call me cray, but aren't your shoulder belts a bit loose?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Fun video fo sho. But call me cray, but aren't your shoulder belts a bit loose?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the video. I think it's the HANS or something making them look weird--I always cinch them in the grid, then once during the outlap and then AGAIN the first time I reach the straight, so they're tight. Certainly looks sketchy in the video though!

Also, update--I tagged Forgestar in a Facebook post with that video and got a call like 5 mins later. They're going to refund me on the wheels AND buy me a new balljoint. So that's pretty cool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's pretty rad. I mean, still, don't powdercoat your wheels, kids, but that's awesome for them to take care of you like that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

the poi posted:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the video. I think it's the HANS or something making them look weird--I always cinch them in the grid, then once during the outlap and then AGAIN the first time I reach the straight, so they're tight. Certainly looks sketchy in the video though!

Also, update--I tagged Forgestar in a Facebook post with that video and got a call like 5 mins later. They're going to refund me on the wheels AND buy me a new balljoint. So that's pretty cool.
The facebook comments about this have been really entertaining. A guy I know who is "sponsored" by forgestar is claiming your wheels are fake.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the poi posted:

Nice. Do you have to send the old wheels back for analysis or something?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

the poi posted:

As a fellow unrepentant curb crasher I say "Job well done."

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Those are bad? I hit the curbs at Auto Club regularly. Didn't think they were really super abrupt.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Those are bad? I hit the curbs at Auto Club regularly. Didn't think they were really super abrupt.

Depends on the track, some will beat the poo poo out of you and the car while others are just a gentle rumble. I'd think floating the inside wheels over one would have a pretty minimal impact but running wide over bad ones (Road America) will absolutely punish you.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Depends on the track, some will beat the poo poo out of you and the car while others are just a gentle rumble. I'd think floating the inside wheels over one would have a pretty minimal impact but running wide over bad ones (Road America) will absolutely punish you.

Speaking of road America - going to be there this weekend?
I won't be driving; just running crew again - wife wants a new kitchen.
#378 Low Farm Racing - stop by, ask for Zak.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nice. Do you have to send the old wheels back for analysis or something?

Ya they're in Anaheim, so I'll take the remaining wheels to them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

Speaking of road America - going to be there this weekend?
I won't be driving; just running crew again - wife wants a new kitchen.
#378 Low Farm Racing - stop by, ask for Zak.

No Road America for us this year which is a bummer because I love that track. First race for us will be Brainerd. They took the car to a test and tune thing last weekend and worked out some of the bugs and played with some new setup options. Think the car is finally ready after a bunch of work this winter.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'll be there, #87 e36. It's looking like we'll get perfect racing weather. I'm pretty confident that we won't have so many stupid mechanical issues this time. I did a bunch of preventative maintenance over the winter. We also have good shocks and a functional muffler now.

User Error fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

User Error posted:

I'll be there, #87 e36. It's looking like we'll get perfect racing weather. I'm pretty confident that we won't have so many stupid mechanical issues this time. I did a bunch of preventative maintenance over the winter. We also have good shocks and a functional muffler now.

"e36" or e36 at RA... we'll be waving to you, as you continue to lap us.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

"e36" or e36 at RA... we'll be waving to you, as you continue to lap us.

Nah we suck pretty bad, I think our best lap was a 3:04 last year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm waffling on the track day at Leguna next month. Would love to drive it, but its just expense after expense after expense.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

I'm waffling on the track day at Leguna next month. Would love to drive it, but its just expense after expense after expense.

Having done LS, it is totally worth it, even though I stayed at some lovely youth hostel (for 30bux) and didn't get any sleep.
Yeah, thill is way cheaper, but not as cool an experence. However, there's a reason I only did it once. The fuel is also even extra expensive if you buy it there.
The other cool thing about LS v. Thill is that you can do it in august without overheating everything in your car including the driver. I turned my ac on one thill day.
The best part about having done a bunch of trackdays in the past is it makes bikes look cheap.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

SCCA has NO track nights in Socal this year. drat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

Having done LS, it is totally worth it, even though I stayed at some lovely youth hostel (for 30bux) and didn't get any sleep.
Yeah, thill is way cheaper, but not as cool an experence. However, there's a reason I only did it once. The fuel is also even extra expensive if you buy it there.
The other cool thing about LS v. Thill is that you can do it in august without overheating everything in your car including the driver. I turned my ac on one thill day.
The best part about having done a bunch of trackdays in the past is it makes bikes look cheap.

It's worth noting that T-Hill is cool as poo poo too, but I say that having not gotten to ride Laguna... yet... Planning on doing a fly-n-ride with Feel Like a Pro later this year.
Chuckwalla blows all of the Arizona tracks out of the water, Thunderhill is more unique (I guess that's the word) than Chuckwalla but not necessarily better. God, Arizona sucks.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 13, 2016

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Track day from the weekend.

Apparently they actually ran, I'll admit I'm glad I didn't go. First track day this year will be may 5th, can't wait. Unless it snows. Again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Track day from the weekend.

Apparently they actually ran, I'll admit I'm glad I didn't go. First track day this year will be may 5th, can't wait. Unless it snows. Again.
Before moving south I did several track days with snow on the ground and a cold wet track. Just take your time warming up tires, brakes and keep in mind the racing line will get dry/hot a lot faster than the surrounding and it isn't too bad. Did make me regret pulling the heather core. poo poo most of the RA spring/fall races we've done have had race start below freezing and light snow.

It a much shittier feeling on a bike, would not recommend.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well we are scrubbing out of the race this weekend for CHUMP - we'll be back this fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Congrats on getting on the front page of Jalopnik.