Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

I call him Kevin, because I think he looks a little bit like a young Kevin Spacey... except all screamin' in pain from something terrible happening to him.

What kind of marine biologist has a workshop like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do you have a breaking point where you say this is really hosed? Is it 6 months from now and they really haven't accomplished much, or two years?

Just curious.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always said by beta. Beta should be, for all intents and purposes, a semi release-candidate. We should see persistence, load scaling, fleshed-out movement mechanics, set flight mechanics and procedurally-generated planets and plaentoids that have seamless environments. If not by then, I sell off what I have and am on my merry way.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - I am not a CiG employee.

Are you a contractor that has worked for CiG, a friend of a CiG employee or contractor, a direct familiar member of CiG employee or contractor (spouse, child, parent, sibling)?

Edit: You did say invested, you might be an outside (non-backer) investor.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - I am not a CiG employee.

what happened?

also why did you list it twice on your linkedin

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Any smart, private company divests assets and maximizes opportunities for tax incentives and liability reduction.

No other developer makes four brand new studios for one single game you idiot

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Stick100 posted:

Are you a contractor that has worked for CiG, a friend of a CiG employee or contractor, a direct familiar member of CiG employee or contractor (spouse, child, parent, sibling)?

I'll completely clarify:

I am not a CiG employee or contractor, nor do I have any familiar relationship to a CiG employee or contractor. I am but a simple backer.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Did Sandi mass email this or do you guys have like a LotusNotes where you pool generic responses?

Maybe they put it in the Shotgun thingy Fuzzy Modem attempted to lord over us.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
we get it moma, youre a libertarian and jack off to atlas shrugged every night

theres no room for ethics or morals if money is involved, thus calling someone "crobbers" is inherently ignorant

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

Under UCC 2-207, it simply requires that the end user is made aware of the terms before agreeing to them. And you're analogy is not 100% accurate either in that we're discussing commercial law. In current common law, it is up to the court to decide which is more applicable, StepSaver v Arizona Retail or the ProCD decision. There's no clear-cut decision either way.

Before *agreeing* to them.
Explicitly. As i've said.

Also, i'm not an analogy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll completely clarify:

I am not a CiG employee or contractor, nor do I have any familiar relationship to a CiG employee or contractor. I am but a simple backer.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jon Do posted:

we get it moma, youre a libertarian and jack off to atlas shrugged every night

theres no room for ethics or morals if money is involved, thus calling someone "crobbers" is inherently ignorant

Ayn Rand was very incorrect - on many fronts. I'm more a classical libertarian, neo-Aristotelian. Locke 2.0 if you will.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always said by beta. Beta should be, for all intents and purposes, a semi release-candidate. We should see persistence, load scaling, fleshed-out movement mechanics, set flight mechanics and procedurally-generated planets and plaentoids that have seamless environments. If not by then, I sell off what I have and am on my merry way.

What if beta never comes? How long will you wait for beta?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

And is headquartered in LA.

Which of the 13 companies is?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So hyped to see the price of this couch. That motherfucker looks expensive.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm not sure how even the most deluded Citizens can't watch everything Roberts has done for the past 6 months and realize he doesn't give a poo poo about his multiplayer game or any of his promises as long as he gets to re-live his fantasy of being a successful movie director.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

orcinus posted:

Before *agreeing* to them.
Explicitly. As i've said.

Also, i'm not an analogy.

...which has been contested via the two cases I mentioned. However, the ToS has been made available on the site (and via link in the Kickstarter), and was always subject to revision.

And yes - typos happen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I miss the days when you were a likable guy, Toast.

Laughing. My. loving. rear end. Off.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ragequit posted:

What the gently caress kind of nightmare factory do you work in?

Is the bleach for taking care of unwanted visitors while listening to that Taylor Swift album?

I dunno, I think this place is nice. (Pretend I said something witty like "everyone is willing to lend you a hand if you need it" and attached the picture of the skeleton hand hanging on my wall here, because I'm too lazy to do it.)

Mirificus posted:

What kind of marine biologist has a workshop like that?

Nah I'm not a marine biologist yet. I'm still in school for it currently.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was looking through some old stuff and found this old thread about a "CIG Employee's Perspective". Of the five CIG folks who posted in that thread two no longer work for CIG (Patrick and Alyssa), and if Derek's rumors are right a third is on his way out (RIP Jared).

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
So wait, now Derek is going to turn in what he has to the feds? Well no offense, but with the dozens of examples of wrong doing so many pointed out its about loving time.

I mean if nothing else it goes to show character right?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

beep_boop posted:

What if beta never comes? How long will you wait for beta?

Ideally? I'd like to see beta at or around Q4 of next year. That gives them this year and Q1 of next year to get some modicum of SQ42 out to the public and to have them lock down alpha mechanics before Q4 of next year. IF their procedural tech is progressing as they claim, they shouldn't have an issue churning out systems. But, I don't expect each one them to be fully customized (the landing zones I mean).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ayn Rand was very incorrect - on many fronts. I'm more a classical libertarian, neo-Aristotelian. Locke 2.0 if you will.

Congratulations ManofManyAliases, we have upgraded you to first place in the wedgie queue

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

...which has been contested via the two cases I mentioned. However, the ToS has been made available on the site (and via link in the Kickstarter), and was always subject to revision.

And explicit agreement by both parties, like with any contract.
If both parties have not agreed to the new contract, to be annexed to the original, the new contract is null and void - and you get your money back.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

So wait, now Derek is going to turn in what he has to the feds? Well no offense, but with the dozens of examples of wrong doing so many pointed out its about loving time.

I mean if nothing else it goes to show character right?

He's already met with them a couple times at least.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How do you think Ben and his wife have sex?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

ManofManyAliases posted:

in your head, this thread contains a conversation you are "winning", isnt it?

if only we all had a perspective as clear-cut and rational as yours

clearly mature, befedorad men of class and education are better received on yonder reddit

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

:siren::frogout::frogout::frogout::siren:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

orcinus posted:

And explicit agreement by both parties, like with any contract.
If both parties have not agreed to the new contract, to be annexed to the original, the new contract is null and void - and you get your money back.

Yet - the first party (let's call them the end user) agrees by having the game installed, partaking in the forums and/or playing the game. In fact, merely having an account might be interpreted as enough participating to allow agreement to the terms. CiG, of course, will agree to their own terms.

oRGy
May 8, 2014

ManofManyAliases" posted:

Let me step back, take off the troll hat and be completely, 100% honest for just a minute:

I am managing the SC project - I concealed that since day one. I also professed that I am a member of multiple message boards (public and private) as well as a redditor and now.. I guess, SA? CiG is not managed well at all. As open as we claim to be, there are too many facades and walls held up with duct tape to consider them completely open to the public. I do believe that I am making a good-faith effort to deliver a game. But, there has been enormous scope creep that I, myself, probably did not anticipate and am now trying to play catch-up to salvage. I also think that with 300+ employees including contractors, and a large turnover that's uncommon in other companies, there are still not enough red flags to have the whales en masse conclude that the project is a failure. Sure - people want a dream and sure people want experience. But, faced with facts, whales are not so intelligent as to say, "Well - it's going down, so I think I'll try to get a refund" or "Hrmm - Chris Roberts is full of poo poo, so I should not believe him." In other words - whales cannot make their own deductions.

Public distaste - as you say - is becoming more each day. We can't possibly be blind to it. We have to react or else we will suffer consequences. It's an extremely ambitious project that I'm sure none of us want to see fail, which is why I'm willing to stick it out. If it takes longer to come to fruition - fine.

stfu crobbers

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ManofManyAliases posted:

don't stop

divx
Aug 21, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

At what age did you begin devouring Descartes?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JlG7q-ld8M

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This is absolutely fantastic

Hey you CIG lurkers, sign the gently caress up and start posting. You don't get more stupid than this guy, the road is laid, paved and strewn with fucken roses

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

I dunno, I think this place is nice. (Pretend I said something witty like "everyone is willing to lend you a hand if you need it" and attached the picture of the skeleton hand hanging on my wall here, because I'm too lazy to do it.)

Nah I'm not a marine biologist yet. I'm still in school for it currently.

Joking aside, the office props are great and would be fun to mess around with. You should be able to set up some quality scares every once in awhile.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
fun fact: dont admit to being a libertarian anywhere but reddit

i bet youre that guy at the libertarian club at college who was bitching about how everyone else was a poseur who read some ayn rand

then you put on your fedora and gave them a :smug: look

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm glad the thread is back on a collision course with

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ManofManyAliases posted:

In fact, merely having an account might be interpreted as enough participating to allow agreement to the terms. CiG, of course, will agree to their own terms.

You really don't want to know what kind of stuff you agreed to do for Lowtax by joining these forums. :smith:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

:gary: :siren: NEW COMPLETIONIST :frogsiren: DETECTED? :siren: :yarg:

Unlike the four previous megawhale purchases shown, this $15K spike was not correlated with a spike in fleet numbers. I will be following further developments...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ragequit posted:

Joking aside, the office props are great and would be fun to mess around with. You should be able to set up some quality scares every once in awhile.

You're just being nice to him because you don't want to be the next victim in his nightmare factory.

• Locked thread